Changing User Information without SA

Hello All,

We're currently using GP 9.0 where I work (I'm the DBA) and we want to
migrate these databases to a SQL 2005 cluster (these databases currently sit
on a SQL 2000 stand-alone).  These databases will be moving to cluster nodes
that have other databases that are critical to our environment and we would
like to limit the use of SA to strictly IT internally.

My question:
In PDK is there any way to allow GP users (employees) to modify other user
information within the System -> User screen.  For example: Someone logs in
with their own GP account and wants to change that user's password or batch
information and click the 'Save' button.

Currently all attempts that we have made to make this work have failed as
the 'Save' button is always greyed out.  Is there any way around this?

Thank you very much
0
Ormond1 (1)

i believe this is because the logged in user is not member of the
dbadmin group, i cant remember exactly which database role you must
assign to the user so that he can be able to add users besides SA
0
fhillyer (101)
8/3/2009 10:30:30 PM
Francisco,

Hi and thanks for your response.  I've actually been playing around with the
user permissions in SQL Server as well as in the application and granted the
user in question Server Administrator (just to test out the theory that a
grant all solution would work) and while you were able to add users, you
couldn't modify existing users.  I'm starting to think that this might be an
application setting that I am missing?

Alas I am a DBA in a mostly application driven security environment...

"Francisco Hillyer" wrote:

> i believe this is because the logged in user is not member of the
> dbadmin group, i cant remember exactly which database role you must
> assign to the user so that he can be able to add users besides SA

Its the sysadmin role the user needs to belong to.  Unfortunately, this gives
the user all of the same rights as sa in the GP databases and most of the
rights system wide.

Dynsa is also a user that can make sa level changes in GP

This kind of information is covered in our soon to be released Dynamics GP
Security Handbook, scheduled for publication September 1
--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Shawn Ormond" wrote:

> Francisco,
>
> Hi and thanks for your response.  I've actually been playing around with the
> user permissions in SQL Server as well as in the application and granted the
> user in question Server Administrator (just to test out the theory that a
> grant all solution would work) and while you were able to add users, you
> couldn't modify existing users.  I'm starting to think that this might be an
> application setting that I am missing?
>
> Alas I am a DBA in a mostly application driven security environment...
>
> "Francisco Hillyer" wrote:
>
> > i believe this is because the logged in user is not member of the
> > dbadmin group, i cant remember exactly which database role you must
> > assign to the user so that he can be able to add users besides SA

0
info4071 (3004)
8/4/2009 3:18:01 AM
Hi Richard,

I've granted users into the sysadmin role and it still does not allow you to
Save changes to employee information in PDK.

As for the DYNSA user, when I try to log in with that user account in PDK it
gives me a "User is not a valid user in PDK".  Is this because this account
needs to have an associated employee record?  I'm having trouble tying all
the dependencies together since I come from the server side of things.

Thank you

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> Its the sysadmin role the user needs to belong to.  Unfortunately, this gives
> the user all of the same rights as sa in the GP databases and most of the
> rights system wide.
>
> Dynsa is also a user that can make sa level changes in GP
>
> This kind of information is covered in our soon to be released Dynamics GP
> Security Handbook, scheduled for publication September 1
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Shawn Ormond" wrote:
>
> > Francisco,
> >
> > Hi and thanks for your response.  I've actually been playing around with the
> > user permissions in SQL Server as well as in the application and granted the
> > user in question Server Administrator (just to test out the theory that a
> > grant all solution would work) and while you were able to add users, you
> > couldn't modify existing users.  I'm starting to think that this might be an
> > application setting that I am missing?
> >
> > Alas I am a DBA in a mostly application driven security environment...
> >
> > "Francisco Hillyer" wrote:
> >
> > > i believe this is because the logged in user is not member of the
> > > dbadmin group, i cant remember exactly which database role you must
> > > assign to the user so that he can be able to add users besides SA

OWA: how to login without entering domain?
Hi, we have recently update from OWA 5.5 and Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 and OWA, before migration, we can log in to OWA 5.5 using user - password, with default domain configured in exchange 5.5 IIS. now in Exchange 2003, with the default domain option configured, we cannot log in and we have to use domain\user - password what can we do? the configuration is similar, thanks and regards First article in http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&1033comm=1&spid=global&query=owa+default+domain&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&res=...

Getting the Information out of the program
Is there a way to get all the information out of the item database and into a spreadsheet? I am trying to create a item catalog for some of our customers and instead of re-entering all the information that we have spent weeks and weeks putting into RMS, there has to be a way to get that out easily. Thanks for all your help There are so many ways you can get the information out of the database. Below are a few. 1. Run a report and click the Export button on the top of the report page, choose File and CSV Comma Delimited.**Easiest 2. Run a SQL Query from SO Admin and export from the Fil...

External data link change

MAPI and IMAP coexsistance on same client/server for transparent users in the wild...
An exchange 2003 server with enabled secure IMAP and OWA. Clients running Outlook 2003 with both MAPI and IMAP connections to the same server. This is for troubleless connections for users being both on the LAN and out in the wild without VPN. What are your experinces about best setup in this scenario - how will users get the most transparent feel - that is: calender working, mails getting to the same location, still available via OWA... regardless whether they are on the LAN or in the wild. Regards, Lars. Go with Mapi all the way for the functionality. Implement RPC over HTTPs for rem...

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Stop sheet showing when Using Datapig's Force Users to enable macr
Hi, I think this is probably not do-able I'm using Datapig Technologies example to force users to enable macros When the workbook is closed all sheets other than a warning sheet are very hidden so that if the workbook is opened with macros disabled then the user can only see a warning sheet saying to close and open with macros enabled. Then on opening with macros enabled the waring sheet is very hidden and the other sheets can be seen. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Application.ScreenUpdating = False Sheets("Warning").Visible = True Sh...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

College research project
Hi All! I'm conducting a survey for my college research project and need responses. It's for MS office users and I need as much of a response as possible. Under the name question, just put your first name and your last initial. I just need it as a separate identifier. if you have a handle that you use in the newsgroup, feel free to use that, too. There is no personal information asked for. Here's the link: http://www.summitcadd.com/ms_word_survey.htm Thanks, John From: "John" <jprovetto@earthlink.net> | Hi All! | | I'm conducting a survey for my co...

Import users to AD
I am trying to import 200 users from a .csv file to Windows 2008 R2 Active Directory. As I have no idea of scripting, I searched the Internet and found this: Import-CSV c:\users.csv | ForEach-Object { New-QADUser -Name $_.display -SamAccountName $_.SamAccountName -UserPrincipalName $_.user1 -FirstName $_.first -LastName $_.last -DisplayName $_.display -Phone $_.phone -Department $_.departamento -Title $_.Title -Company $_.company -Streetaddress $_.street -PostalCode $_.zip -City $_.city -StateOrProvince $_.state -UserPassword $_.password -ParentContainer DOMAIN.CORP/NEWUSERS } ...

Deleted User Mailbox
Delete a user from Exchange 2003 and the mailbox showed as orphane. Later created a new user and connected that mailbox to that new user successfully. Now the new user cannot logon using OWA. Under Mailboxes in the ESM it shows user connected successfully but under Last Logged in by it show ... S-1-5-21-106....... Please advise. Thank you in advance. ...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

tracking user messages
Hi how to obtain the ip address or machine name of an user who is sending message from outlook 2003 client and on a private wan ( not using SMTP connection through internet) thanks at all Try auditing successfull logon events then search the log for that account...if memory serves that will give you computer name and username. "Frédéric de Thysebaert" wrote: > Hi > how to obtain the ip address or machine name of an user who is sending > message from outlook 2003 client and on a private wan ( not using SMTP > connection through internet) > > th...

Field Type Change

Question for very smart Outlook users
Is there any way I can have Outlook e-mail my schedule (from the Outlook calendar) to an e-mail recepient automatically each day? Maybe, but that is the best answer you are going to get without posting some details, especially your Outlook version. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, BPra666 asked: | Is there any way I can have Outlook e-mail my schedule ...