Changing User Information without SA

Hello All,

We're currently using GP 9.0 where I work (I'm the DBA) and we want to
migrate these databases to a SQL 2005 cluster (these databases currently sit
on a SQL 2000 stand-alone).  These databases will be moving to cluster nodes
that have other databases that are critical to our environment and we would
like to limit the use of SA to strictly IT internally.

My question:
In PDK is there any way to allow GP users (employees) to modify other user
information within the System -> User screen.  For example: Someone logs in
with their own GP account and wants to change that user's password or batch
information and click the 'Save' button.

Currently all attempts that we have made to make this work have failed as
the 'Save' button is always greyed out.  Is there any way around this?

Thank you very much
0
Ormond1 (1)

i believe this is because the logged in user is not member of the
dbadmin group, i cant remember exactly which database role you must
assign to the user so that he can be able to add users besides SA
0
fhillyer (101)
8/3/2009 10:30:30 PM
Francisco,

Hi and thanks for your response.  I've actually been playing around with the
user permissions in SQL Server as well as in the application and granted the
user in question Server Administrator (just to test out the theory that a
grant all solution would work) and while you were able to add users, you
couldn't modify existing users.  I'm starting to think that this might be an
application setting that I am missing?

Alas I am a DBA in a mostly application driven security environment...

"Francisco Hillyer" wrote:

> i believe this is because the logged in user is not member of the
> dbadmin group, i cant remember exactly which database role you must
> assign to the user so that he can be able to add users besides SA

Its the sysadmin role the user needs to belong to.  Unfortunately, this gives
the user all of the same rights as sa in the GP databases and most of the
rights system wide.

Dynsa is also a user that can make sa level changes in GP

This kind of information is covered in our soon to be released Dynamics GP
Security Handbook, scheduled for publication September 1
--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Shawn Ormond" wrote:

> Francisco,
>
> Hi and thanks for your response.  I've actually been playing around with the
> user permissions in SQL Server as well as in the application and granted the
> user in question Server Administrator (just to test out the theory that a
> grant all solution would work) and while you were able to add users, you
> couldn't modify existing users.  I'm starting to think that this might be an
> application setting that I am missing?
>
> Alas I am a DBA in a mostly application driven security environment...
>
> "Francisco Hillyer" wrote:
>
> > i believe this is because the logged in user is not member of the
> > dbadmin group, i cant remember exactly which database role you must
> > assign to the user so that he can be able to add users besides SA

0
info4071 (3004)
8/4/2009 3:18:01 AM
Hi Richard,

I've granted users into the sysadmin role and it still does not allow you to
Save changes to employee information in PDK.

As for the DYNSA user, when I try to log in with that user account in PDK it
gives me a "User is not a valid user in PDK".  Is this because this account
needs to have an associated employee record?  I'm having trouble tying all
the dependencies together since I come from the server side of things.

Thank you

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> Its the sysadmin role the user needs to belong to.  Unfortunately, this gives
> the user all of the same rights as sa in the GP databases and most of the
> rights system wide.
>
> Dynsa is also a user that can make sa level changes in GP
>
> This kind of information is covered in our soon to be released Dynamics GP
> Security Handbook, scheduled for publication September 1
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Shawn Ormond" wrote:
>
> > Francisco,
> >
> > Hi and thanks for your response.  I've actually been playing around with the
> > user permissions in SQL Server as well as in the application and granted the
> > user in question Server Administrator (just to test out the theory that a
> > grant all solution would work) and while you were able to add users, you
> > couldn't modify existing users.  I'm starting to think that this might be an
> > application setting that I am missing?
> >
> > Alas I am a DBA in a mostly application driven security environment...
> >
> > "Francisco Hillyer" wrote:
> >
> > > i believe this is because the logged in user is not member of the
> > > dbadmin group, i cant remember exactly which database role you must
> > > assign to the user so that he can be able to add users besides SA

Name Change
I did a search for this and found a couple of things but I couldn't seem to find anything definitive. We need to change a users name in AD and CRM. Is this possible? What is the procedure for doing this? Please help. Thanks Greg The way to do that in CRM would be to create a new CRM user with the changed ad account name. Than open the old users detail record and select Reassign Records in the action menu to move all the old records. Than you should be able to disable/delete the old user. -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer Aviva IT Web: aviva-it.nl "gstat" ...

CC Incoming/Outgoing mail to another user
Hey everyone, I am running Exchange 2003 on a Windows Server 2003 enviornment and would like to know if the following can be done, if so, how? I would like to know if Exchange can copy all outgoing and incoming mail of a certain user to another users mailbox? For example, all email sent and received from userA@domain.com, userB@domain.com will also get it all. Cheers, Matt "OzPacific" wrote: > Hey everyone, > > I am running Exchange 2003 on a Windows Server 2003 enviornment and > would like to know if the following can be done, if so, how? I would > like to know ...

How can I change the entries in the Virtual Function table...
Hi All, I have a C++ class with some virtual functions without any data members. I want to change the address of the first entry in the Virtual table of that class with the address of a custom (normal) function. How can I achieve this. Awaiting your communication. With kind regards Sanjay Derive a new class and override that function. Onega "Sanjay" <sanjay.vishwakarma@assetlink.com> wrote in message news:OKlrIkXjDHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > I have a C++ class with some virtual functions without any data members. > I want ...

Users sharing
With Outlook 2003 is it possible for 2 users to share the same contacts and in-box folders, but otherwise have different preferences? Thanks Peter Yes -- see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olshare1.htm for an example of how to set this up. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:1001vbggntand58@corp.supernews.com, Peter wrote: > With Outlook 2003 is it possible for 2 users to share the same > contacts and in-box folders, but otherwise have di...

Can i change my smtp server?
hi guys If i look in my queues i see a smtp connector. it shows like internal Domain - (ip adress)[SMTP connector] and Internet Connector(ip adress)[SMTP connector]. if i want to use a different smtp connector where do i change that. i need to use the smtp connector of my ISP and not of the mail hosting company anymore.Is this possible? i hav exc2003 sp2 thanks On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:30:52 +0200, "expres account" <express(removethis) AT tourismcapetown.co.za> wrote: >hi guys > >If i look in my queues i see a smtp connector. it shows like internal >Domai...

Changing Order Owner
Is there an easy way to change the Order owner to the contact owner? Is work Thanks in advance. Shawn CRM Menu >> Action >> Assign Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. www.workopia.com "Shawn" wrote: > Is there an easy way to change the Order owner to the contact owner? Is work > Thanks in advance. > Shawn I should have been more specific. We want the Order owner to always be the contact owner, no matter who enters it. I have created a Work Flow that changes on entry, but it involves an If, Then, Else for each CRM user. Is there any easier way? Something like...

New users loose SMTP address
Scenario: W2k3, Exhange2k3 2 domain servers create a user on either domain controller, add the smtp address we want (from a large list), come back a few minutes later and the address will change to the system default. Notes; we dont run the smtp recipient policies as such - just a general one with all our smtp address suffixes, this problem only occurs on every four/five accounts created. At first we thought it was the individual support person, then blamed his PC, his MMC connection, now Tech servoces have found it occurrs to anyone creating large numbers of users. Thought it could be...

User ID has disappeared
Using XP professional. Installed new memory card. When computer started up went to windows page where "click your user id & enter your password" shows up on left side of screen but no user id or password box shows up on right side of screen. Went to safe mode & these showed up so ran system restore but still won't work in regular mode. Are you talking about the Welcome screen?, so there is the user name but no area to type the password. What happens if you click on the user name. Does it come back if you take out the memory you have added. Neil "Sus...

Attached MSG files change when saved
I have this scenario- I have a .MSG email, and attached is a .JPG and another .MSG. I want to save these attachments and generate a hash value from the file binary. Usually not a problem, but I have encountered some strange behavior when saving attached MSGs. No matter how many times I save the .JPG file, the resulting file's binary is always the same, which is great. However when I save the .MSG file the binary is slightly different every time. Is there a way through outlook, outlook API, or any other means, to save an attached MSG as the same binary file that it was whe...

How can I change background color of DateTimePicker?
I know that subj is possible because of Borland C++ Builder allow to change background color of DateTimePicker just assigning a color to Color property of TDateTimePicker component. When I try to make this subj using MFC I've got nothing. Can anybody help me? My code : m_date.Create(WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | DTS_SHORTDATEFORMAT, CRect(36, 0, 116, topHeight), this, 1006); m_date.SetFormat("dd.MM.yyyy"); m_date.Invalidate(TRUE); CDC *dc=m_date.GetDC(); assert(dc->SelectObject(&greenBrush)); ReleaseDC(dc); With best regards, Sergiy Yakovyn. "Sergiy ...

Chart Data Changes Data Type
Using Excel 2007, I have a line chart in Workbook A that is built from data in Workbook B. The X axis contains dates. When viewing the chart in Workbook A the dates a properly formatted when I have Workbook B open. However, when I close Workbook B the dates change to numbers. When I open Workbook B the numbers change back to dates. How can I keep the dates in Workbook A to stay in date format? Thank you. AJ ...

Change to foreign currency in POS 1.0 SP 1a
I am new to MS Dynamics POS and would appreciate assistance in changing the default currency from US$ to Nigeria currency. Simply, I would like the $ symbol change to N. Thanking you for your assistance. Thank you folks. I found the answer in Junaid Idrees'response to Tim Simth's post on 7/24/06. "Sokan33" wrote: > I am new to MS Dynamics POS and would appreciate assistance in changing the > default currency from US$ to Nigeria currency. Simply, I would like the $ > symbol change to N. > > Thanking you for your assistance. ...

How do I create Folders/Sub folders from User Form control button
I have a User Form that I would like to take one of the spare control buttons and have it set up my job folder on the hard drive. I am not sure how to code it to achive the following results: These are my text box ID's Main Folder --------------------------------------------------------------------- User Selects drive: \ CES_No_1 \ CLLI_Code_1\ TEO_No_1 Sub Folders inside Main Folder ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Completed Drawings Elec Job Folder Misc Job Documents Site Pictures If you can dig up a copy of the VBS doc...

Changing the window size of a CFileDialog-derived class
I have a CFileDialog-derived class that sizes itself when displayed. My problem is that if I open a normal CFileDialog afterward in the same application, that normal CFileDialog has the same enlarged dimensions as my derived class. My hack is to override the CFileDialog::OnFileNameOK() function and reset my derived CFileDialog back to the original dimensions before the dialog is destroyed. Maybe there's a more elegant way, but this seemed the only way I could get it to work, that is when I display another "normal" CFileDialog later in the same app, the dialog dimensions are back...

How do I do a Relational Lookup in SharePoint without coding?
I want to be able to do the following: List A: Last Name = TheClown First Name = Bozo Organization = Circus List B: Last Name = Lookup of Field A in List A (This I can do already no problem) First Name = Auto-populated field based on Lookup Value selected for Last Name (not sure how to do this) Organization = Auto-populated field based on Lookup Value selected for Last Name (not sure how to do this) So by selecting the Lookup pull-down for Last Name when I create a new record in List B, and picking TheClown as the Lookup value…First Name and...

Changing Autocorrect Language
I recently began using Office 2003, and am having trouble getting the Autocorrect language to work consistently in Publisher for text that is English (Canada). Note that in all other Office programs, the Autocorrect language used for Canadian English is English (U.K.). However, when I open a document in Publisher, the Autocorrect Options come up in English (U.S.). But…if I select any text that is formatted as English (U.K.), Publisher then begins autocorrecting Canadian English using English (U.K.). This only applies to the Autocorrect Options, not the spell check, as there is a sepa...

Outlook 6 change passcode
recently changed my passcode with my ISP, but after changing the passcode under accounts, etc. outlook will not download from the net. Is there another place in the computer to change my passcode. I do not want to reset my outlook and loose all my messages. Anybody out there who know how to fix this? HELP THANKS "Deanna Palma" <virgo_1962@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01fd01c3b2ba$ad06a1a0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > recently changed my passcode with my ISP, but after > changing the passcode under accounts, etc. outlook will > not download from the net. Is t...

Changing Mouse-Over Description
We have a user requesting when they hover over an activity that it display the Subject and at least part of the Description. I don't know of a way to change the mouseover text. When I mouse-over for an activity, it just displays the full text of whatever you're over. So if you're over the description, it displays the description text. Any Ideas? Maybe this helps: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2006/11/17/using-the-attachevent-method-to-show-users-context-sensitive-help.aspx -- Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2 Feed: http://ww...

This checkbook is being reconciled by another user
User session was terminated while selecting items for reconciliation (while going into the reconciliation window). No other users are in the company, but cannot get past this "error" message. Anyone know a fix or workaround? Tried logging in as 'sa' and the user without success. The Clear Activity button for bank management doesn't clear the CBEU1020 table. Remove the entry from this table and you'll be able to get into your recon again cpa-mcse.net wrote: This checkbook is being reconciled by another user 24-Mar-10 User session was termi...

Customised Views per User?
I think the answer to this question is it can't be done but once a user has created a custom view for either accounts/contacts can they then set this to be their individual default or can this change only be done on a system basis? Many thanks Steve ...

Automatically change list values #2
I should explain it more clearly, cell A1 is has a drop down list validation with values 'Red' and 'Amber'. B1 also has a drop down validation list, if Red is chosen in A1, I would like the drop down list in B1 to have list values A to J, if Amber is chosen in A1, I would like the drop down list in B1 to instead have values of 1 to 20. -- DKerr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DKerr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=13087 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27...

Getting the user profile folder
Hi I need to get the signature folder for the current folder such as; "F:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\" except that instead of Dave I need the correct name for the current user, s that my code works generically regardless of who is logged in. Is there a way to do that? Thanks Regards You could try reading the environment variable "APPDATA". From there you would just have to append "\Microsoft\Signatures" to end up in the correct place. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:elPi...

Change default calendar?
I'm using Microsoft office 2007 and Windows XP. Is it possible to change the default calendar? Currently when I'm at home and accept an appointment from work the appointment shows up, but not in the correct calendar. I want my work calendar to be the default. Thanks, Dennis You need to set the work account as default for the calendar to be default. (Use rules to move personal mail to the personal pst.) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by...

loan amount changing
Is it possible to change loan amount? Best regards, Andrey Do you mean current outstanding balance or original balance? Answers, respectively, yes, no. "Andrey" <mp3fantom@yandex.ru> wrote in message news:efvOKkL5GHA.772@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to change loan amount? ...

How Change default "look in" location in EXCEL for Importing Exte.
I am importing data contained in a text file. When I get to Import Data, the "Look In" folder location always defaults to "My Data Sources". How do I change that to the folder where my data is? (files are on my computer). thanks ...