CD DRIVES

I have two questions actually -

1. I put cds into my cd drive on my laptop and it tells me there is nothing
in the cd drive - how do I fix this?

2.  I have an external cd drive I thought I'd use until I could afford to
have someone look at the one on the laptop but it won't let me store stuff to
it - it keeps trying to copy to the cd drive it doesn't recognize - how do I
fix this?

I have no computer repair experience or knowledge - so please help!

Thanks in advance

Lynne
0
vitaloo (2)

This newsgroup is for Dynamics GP. It's not for hardware questions. You'll
need to contact your hardware vendor or
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"vitaloo" wrote:

> I have two questions actually -
>
> 1. I put cds into my cd drive on my laptop and it tells me there is nothing
> in the cd drive - how do I fix this?
>
> 2.  I have an external cd drive I thought I'd use until I could afford to
> have someone look at the one on the laptop but it won't let me store stuff to
> it - it keeps trying to copy to the cd drive it doesn't recognize - how do I
> fix this?
>
> I have no computer repair experience or knowledge - so please help!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Lynne
0
callen (2505)
4/11/2008 2:44:01 PM
First of all I don't know what Dynamics GP means --

Secondly - I posted it here because I read other posts about similar issues
here so what makes my question different than the others posted on the same
topic?

Third what is MVP??

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> This newsgroup is for Dynamics GP. It's not for hardware questions. You'll
> need to contact your hardware vendor or
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "vitaloo" wrote:
>
> > I have two questions actually -
> >
> > 1. I put cds into my cd drive on my laptop and it tells me there is nothing
> > in the cd drive - how do I fix this?
> >
> > 2.  I have an external cd drive I thought I'd use until I could afford to
> > have someone look at the one on the laptop but it won't let me store stuff to
> > it - it keeps trying to copy to the cd drive it doesn't recognize - how do I
> > fix this?
> >
> > I have no computer repair experience or knowledge - so please help!
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Lynne
0
vitaloo (2)

CD-RW DRIVE/CD Drive Not showing up under device manager.
Hola, I have a dvd-RW drive and a regular cd drive installed on my computer. Up until a few days ago it was working fine. Now it dosen't even show up under the device manager. I ran a compelte virus scan which came up with nothing. I tried using the Microsoft auto-fix program and it failed. I followed the instructions for a reg edit of the upper and lower files and still no sucess. I'm kinda at a loss here. The drives open fine I haven't installed or removed anything major recently that I can think of. Once I put a game or any cd in it just comes back err. canno...

Problem with drive/network paths in formulas
Hi there, I have a few worksheets that as part of their equations they reference other files on the company network. I have found though that sometimes the path coming up is from the drive mapping (i.e. G:\SALES\etc) and other times it is coming up with the full network path (i.e. \\SERVER\SHARE\SALES\etc). When it is coming up with the network path the formula then fails. Any ideas? ...

loaded office pro 07 1st cd & registed what about 2nd cd?
only promped for one cd ?????????????? I haven't loaded office from the retail cd so I can't be certain what the issue is. Did you select all the samples and other optional features? They may be on the second CD so you would only have to mount the second CD if you needed to install something from it. There may be other optional files that only need to be installed if your system needs them. Many options default to run from CD or install on first use so if you didn't change those to run from my computer, you may be prompted as you use the feature to mount the other CD. ...

problem burning cd
i have been trying to burn a cd on windows media player but once i have created my playlist which i made sure would fit onto the cd i simply get the message connect a burner and restart. i have a cd burner which i put the blank disk into so why cant i burn my cd? any help much apprciated On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:08:02 -0800, smooth <smooth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i have been trying to burn a cd on windows media player but once i have >created my playlist which i made sure would fit onto the cd i simply get the >message connect a burner and restart. i hav...

Microsoft Money CD wanted to buy.
I have a user who needs Microsoft Money Deluxe Edition Version 14.0.100.1105. Where can I buy this version. Thanks for any replies. Ebay or Amazon or use google to find others. -- Peace, BobJ "Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D1EFD25-8859-459F-B7F2-162E3170B8EC@microsoft.com... >I have a user who needs Microsoft Money Deluxe Edition Version >14.0.100.1105. > Where can I buy this version. Thanks for any replies. ..1105 was a download service patch to the shipped M05 CDs. I'm not sure--doubt if--they ever slipstreamed this onto...

MOVING EMAIL BETWEEN DRIVES
I'm replacing my hard drive, which has Office 2003 and XP Pro, for a larger one. I will install a fresh copy of XP Pro and Office 2003 with most of the updates. My wife and I use Outlook for our mail under separate user accounts. After the new drive is running how does one transfer all the accumulated mail from the first drive, I assume this is possible? I have no idea where it's stored or if it is transferable. Upon completion I plan to delete the present C partition and use it for storage. TYIA Your emails are probably in a Personal Folders File (a .pst file). Open Outlook and go ...

save a file on a CD.
I want to save a file on a CD. When I try, I'm told it is not a legal operation ( or something to that effect) and that I must get permission from the 'Administrator". Who would that be?? If you're using File|SaveAs (or its xl2007+ equivalent), then you'll want to make sure that the drive you're using allows you to use it this way. One of my drives has a DLA (Direct Line Access???). This allows this drive to be used the way file|SaveAs would need. The other doesn't allow this. In any event, I wouldn't do this. I think it'll cause more tro...

USB stick Drive letter allocation
I have a USB memory stick which needs to be assigned as drive D - because that is where software is specifically writing to. However, if I boot up without the USB memory stick another drive (the CD) is allocated to the now missing drive letter and I have to re-assign both of them to regain drive letter D. Is there a way to stop D being assigned to another drive - even if there is nothing there at the time of boot up? Thanks. Bill Bill R wrote: > I have a USB memory stick which needs to be assigned as drive D - because > that is where software is specifically...

CD
how can i copy of information in outlook to CD Close Outlook - copy/paste. Be sure your CD burning software supports copying as well as burning. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. "Nick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3f5801c42b21$7e1ab090$a401280a@phx.gbl... | how can i copy of information in outlook to CD ...

problem Backing up to thumb drives
When back up to a 4.0 gig cruzer lock thumb drive I get a dialog box that tells me "Money has filled the current disk" "Please insert Backup Disk 2 into the H:\ drive so that we may continue to build your backup." I have 2 of these drives, both have plenty of empty space available and the results are the same on both. I can use a 256 mb thumb drive to back up to without getting this message. Any ideas? Thanks, In microsoft.public.money, BJV wrote: >When back up to a 4.0 gig cruzer lock thumb drive I get a dialog box that >tells me "Money has filled the...

Problem savin in a Network Drive
Hi all!!! I'm having an anoying problem with Office Apps (Excel, Word, PowerPoint..). When I tried to save a file I alwais got the same error: "The Disk is Full" The File Server is a Windows 2000 Server + SP4 + Hotfixes, it has no quota and enought free hard disk I have tested the problem with clients running Windows 2000 + Sp3 + Office 2000 SP3, Windows XP Sp1 + Office XP Sp2, Windows 2000 Sp3 + Office 2000 Sp3 and always have the same error. Please any help will be wellcome.. Exactly how much Free space do you have and how big is the file "Charlie" <Charl...

Remove Drives from a Cluster
Hi All I am running Windows 2003 w/sp1 and Exchange 2003 w/sp1 in a two node active/passive cluster. I have two drives that are no longer being used and would like to remove them. There is no storage group or databases on the drives any longer. The cluster only shows that the Exchange system attendant has it listed as a dependency. What I would like to know is can I just remove the drives from the system attendant as a dependency and will this cause any problem with the cluster or system attendant and once that is done do I need to take the drives offline before deleting or can I just...

copy file to cd
when I copy a file that is not "read only", after it is copied to a cd it becomes "read only". How do I stop this from happening??????????? coolyus First of all.......you should never save to or open from removable media directly. Save to HDD then copy to the CD. Same when opening. Copy to HDD then open. The read only bit....... That is the default behaviour when saving/copying to CD. All depends upon how the files get "burned" to the CD. With regular Windows burning, they will always be read-only. If you were to use a packet writing application like Ne...

Money 2004 doesn't list available CD-R/CD-RW to back up to....
In Money 2004, why wouldn't it list an available CD-RW to back up to in the drop down box at Tools/Options/Backup? According to this article in the MS Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=265130&Product=mny http://tinyurl.com/4bzoj ....it should list it, and on another machine that I have Money 2004 installed on, it lists the A: and a ZIP drive I have installed as D:, but no CD-RW drive. What am I missing that's keeping these two machines from seeing the CD-R/CD-RW as an available drive to write to? -- bill evans WHEvansIIINO@SPAMcharter.net Ha...

After a hard drive format
Before I format my hard drive (it's time)what files do I need to backup to retain my emails and email addresses? Where do I find them? Thanks, Marvin If you are using Outlook 2000/2002, search for files with the extension ".pst". The exact location will depend on what operation system you are using. Regards Darren PS within your newsgroups settings, change your e-mail address to something like marskyNOSPAM@mindspring.com. Newsgroups are where spammers gain their e-mail addresses from by using "spiders" or "web-bots" to gain details of such addresses. ...

PPT 2003 package for cd not working properly
I have a ppt presentation i am trying to package for cd distribution. It contains hyperlinks to word, excel, and ppt files. I select Package for CD and specify "Copy to Folder" Everything seems to go ok but when i go to the folder and run the Play.bat file, some information is missing. Some text boxes are simply not there, graphics are there but the hyperlink area is so tiny you almost can't even click on it. Does anyone know why this would happen? ...

back-up to CD
I use money 99 and want it to back up to CD instead of a floppy. With this version I can't seem to change the option to CD. Is there any way to do this? Thank you. Deanna In microsoft.public.money, Deanna wrote: >I use money 99 and want it to back up to CD instead of a >floppy. With this version I can't seem to change the >option to CD. Is there any way to do this? You can back up to a hard disk, and then burn that .mbf file onto your CDR with the software that came with your drive. With Windows XP, you can back up to the "hard disk" that corresponds to...

Crashed hard drive
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) I had installed the Student and Teacher Edition of Office on my (old) home computer and my daughter's laptop (MacBook). I was planning to save my final installation for a new home computer. However, my daughter's hard drive crashed and needed to be replaced. Is it possible to use the old product key again to reinstall the one that was on the crashed drive? Or do I have to use my final installation to reinstall Office on her laptop? Thanks. As long as you don't use the same key on more than 1 stationary & 1 portable syste...

flash drive
I have the following code in my workbook: Dim wbpath AS String With ThisWorkbook wbpath = .Path End With ChDir wbpath FileName = Brand & txtCenter.Value & " FY2006 Audit Form" ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName This saves the workbook in the same location as it currently is bu under a new name. This works fine. The problem i'm having: I am distributing this workbook on a flash drive. when i open the fil from there and run the macro, it saves the new file to my documents not to the location of the original. Is there something wrong with my code? or is there something wi...

Failure to start without CD
I use Publisher 2000 on a Windows 2000 Pro system. It has worked well for a couple of years, as does the rest of the office suite. Now, however, on starting Publisher it triggers the Windows Installer and need the CD (SR-2) for a few seconds only beforre its starts normally. Any ideas why? John You can get a program from the MS website called "msicu.exe" and there is a second one required for Disk 2 of Office. Read the instructions with these files carefully, and fully understand how they work, but they will/should cure your ills. Windows Installer cleaner Cd2Cleaner htt...

how to Explore Drive
Hi Group I have one requirement. Can anyone help me in code for how to Explore Drive on Click event My requirement is to show all the drive on the Dialog box and while clicking on the paritcular drive, its all content should show in either list control or List box. First i would like to knwo whether it is possible ot not and if it possible then please can anyone help me to write this code. I am done upto displaying the drives on the dialog but not able to populate the content of it while clicking on the drive. Thanks in advance !! -- Thanks and Regards Kathy If you are trying to cr...

Backup failure, drive fault?
Hi We have an external dell ultrium2 tape drive connected to our dell server. Problem is the backup has started to fail occasionally. We have replaced all tapes and made sure cleaning tape is run regularly. My suspicion is now on hardware. Is there a way to isolate if its tape drive, scsi cable, scsi controller, terminator or anything else, before we order full replacement kit? I have run Dell diagnostics a couple of times and the results are below. Any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks Regards Dell Online Diagnostics - Results ID -- Device Name -- Test ...

USB Flash Drive blinks and disappears
Hi, I am trying to connect my KODAK USB Flash drive to my HP Pavilion laptop(Windows Vista). Whenever I try to plug in the USB drive, the Autoplay pop up appears and quickly disappears. The same appears in My Computer screen. The USB Drive appears and before I could click on it it disappears. The blink and miss keeps on happening unless I plug out the USB drive. I have tried to use other USB devices with my HP laptop and it works fine. I gave also tried to use the KODAK USB Flash Drive with another laptop having Windows XP and it works fine. I am not sure why the issue is happenin...

Music files using "Package for CD" Option in Powerpoint
I am trying to burn my show onto a disk, and the show has songs linked to it. I know the songs are not embedded into the show, so I was looking for a solution for this. I saw the "package for CD" option in the menu and according to that, it is supposed to take your show, and all linked files and burn it onto a disk to be played back using powerpoint viewer. I made sure the box was checked to include linked files. After the disk burned, no music. I tried putting all the music and show in one folder and then running the package for cd tool, still no music. Is ther...

Exchange 2007: M-drive possible?
I tried to execute the ifsdrive script to create an M-drive for the Exchange stores, like in Exchange 2000/2003, but the M-drive does not appear with Exchange 2007. Does anyone know of a way to access the mailboxes in order to move messages out of and into mailboxes? Thanks Not sure if M: is still possible with E2K7, but it is much easier and safer to use e-mai client (like Outlook) to access mailboxes. Prem wrote: > I tried to execute the ifsdrive script to create an M-drive for the > Exchange stores, like in Exchange 2000/2003, but the M-drive does not > appear with Exchange 20...