Can the Item Description wrap to multiple lines on an invoice?

We have some long item descriptions (up to the 100 character limit), and we
were trying to figure out how to get them to print on an invoice. If I spread
the field all out on a single line, it's too long to fit on the document. If
I create a box that's several lines tall, it does partially wrap, but it
doesn't print the full description - it cuts off after around the 60th
character or so. Has anyone successfully wrapped an item description on an
invoice?

--
Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO

I think you'll need to parse it and then add it as calculated fields. You
could put the description in the line-item comment and then check the box for
'print tax details' when you print the invoice and then all of the comment
lines will print.  In Report Writer use the RW_ParseString user-defined
function.

"Bud" wrote:

> We have some long item descriptions (up to the 100 character limit), and we
> were trying to figure out how to get them to print on an invoice. If I spread
> the field all out on a single line, it's too long to fit on the document. If
> I create a box that's several lines tall, it does partially wrap, but it
> doesn't print the full description - it cuts off after around the 60th
> character or so. Has anyone successfully wrapped an item description on an
> invoice?
>
> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2
0
LeslieVail (702)
1/25/2008 2:42:01 AM
I believe Leslie is correct.  The only type of field that will wrap like you
want it to is a big text field which this if, of course, not.  I find it odd
that you say it is partially wrapping, I wouldn't have expected that would
work at all.

RW_ParseString is probably the function that I would use in my calculated
fields.  The only issue with this approach (but unavoidable) is that you'll
always have to leave room for 2 lines even if you don't need it.

patrick
developer support

"Bud" <Bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have some long item descriptions (up to the 100 character limit), and
> we
> were trying to figure out how to get them to print on an invoice. If I
> spread
> the field all out on a single line, it's too long to fit on the document.
> If
> I create a box that's several lines tall, it does partially wrap, but it
> doesn't print the full description - it cuts off after around the 60th
> character or so. Has anyone successfully wrapped an item description on an
> invoice?
>
> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2

0
prot1 (1345)
1/25/2008 3:40:35 AM
Thanks for the tip about RW_ParseString. I've never used a user-defined
function before, and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to
enter the parameters, but I finally got it to work.

The normal Item Description field will wrap, interestingly enough. I
experimented with sizing the print area in different ways, and it appears
the font size determines how many characters will be printed on the wrapped
line. Weird!

"Patrick [MSFT]" <prot@online.microsft.com> wrote in message
>I believe Leslie is correct.  The only type of field that will wrap like
>you want it to is a big text field which this if, of course, not.  I find
>it odd that you say it is partially wrapping, I wouldn't have expected that
>would work at all.
>
> RW_ParseString is probably the function that I would use in my calculated
> fields.  The only issue with this approach (but unavoidable) is that
> you'll always have to leave room for 2 lines even if you don't need it.
>
> patrick
> developer support

> rights.
>

> "Bud" <Bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> We have some long item descriptions (up to the 100 character limit), and
>> we
>> were trying to figure out how to get them to print on an invoice. If I
>> spread
>> the field all out on a single line, it's too long to fit on the document.
>> If
>> I create a box that's several lines tall, it does partially wrap, but it
>> doesn't print the full description - it cuts off after around the 60th
>> character or so. Has anyone successfully wrapped an item description on
>> an
>> invoice?
>>
>> --
>> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
>> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
>> GP 9.0, SP2

0
bcool (25)

Formatting a single grid line
Don't laugh but I was wondering if there was a back door way of bolding up a single horizontal gridline to make it stand out from the rest. My alternative is to draw a line on the chart but then I need to adjust it if my scale changes. Thanks much, Reney Hi Reney, Unfortunately you can only format all of the gridlines at once. Have a look at these examples for adding a line to a chart. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Reney Langlois wrote:...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Outlook Web Access & Sent Items
Hello all, Does anyone know if there is a way to have Outlook Web Access not automatically save a sent message in the sent items folder? We would like to be able to turn it off per user, or at least let them deselect it like they can in Outlook. Thanks in advance. In news:5C4CD94F-F424-4653-A79C-461F1D4C1681@microsoft.com, DHood <DHood@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hello all, > > Does anyone know if there is a way to have Outlook Web Access not > automatically save a sent message in the sent items folder? We would > like to be able to turn it off per user, ...

Multiple emails w/ same tracking token in one activity?
Is it possible to track an ongoing email conversation as a single activity (assuming tracking token is present and accurate), instead of having each outgoing and incoming email result in a separate activity? One troubleshooting conversation with a contact can end up creating 12 activities in their history. If anyone knows the answer and/or can tell me how to do so, please let me know. Thanks! Afraid not. Each of those seperate emails is a seperate "activity" and thus is tracked seperately. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "SCAB" <SCAB@discussions.microso...

Can Not Reply To Emails

Multiple logins
Here is the scenario: My Fiancee & I share some of the same accounts. When she logs into the bank, she can see our joint accounts plus her personal accounts. The same for me. The issue is when I set Money up to pull from the bank, I get two of the same account. If I try to delete one of the duplicates, it tells me it has to delete all accounts from that login (including the history). I do not want to do this, but what can I do to save my sanity? Thanks! ...

Summary of multiple workbooks in a directory
Hi again, I have a bundle of workbooks, each one has a summary page. These will all be saved in the same directory eventually. I would like to have a worksheet that presented me all teh summary pages (ordered alphabetically by one of he fields). Excel can trwal a directory for all .xls and extract an area from a worksheet then order on a cell? I am not sure where to start on this and a web search was not much help so far. TIA W Hi as a starting point: http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm >-----Original Message----- >Hi again, I have a bundle of workbooks, each one has a summar...

CListCtrl
Hi, Does anybody know an easy of removing the black vertical tracking line that appears while resizing columns? I've been trying to prevent it through HDN_ENDTRACK / HDN_TRACK, but I wasn't successfull. Is there a specific flag that I can set to disable it instead? Thanks in advance for your time, Best regards, -Onur I can't imagine why you'd want to do that, but here's my suggestion: Override the CListrCtrl and CHeaderCtrl class, and have your listview control use your derived header control. In the header control class, handle the WM_SETCURSOR message and load a d...

Can't delete email #2

Chart line is discontinuous
Hello, A similar problem to my last. I have entered data from reading sheets and not every date/time has a data point. I have noticed that if there is no date/time the chart does not draw the line between data points. Please help me out with this. You can set your chart options (Tools, Options, Chart tab) to treat empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps) zero or interpolated. -- Steve "Lady Excel" <LadyExcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F7136D3-3B22-49B9-AFC7-E6BB1FE47E32@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > A similar problem to my last. I have e...

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Multiple Languages
I'm working on a community template, and was going to save the document in multiple languages. Is there an easy way to convert the text, without having to retype it for each language? I'm sure I'm just blind. Nope you need to retype the words in the new language. Translating is not something that computers do well. Languages are just too tricky with too many rules and exceptions to those rules. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Infexus Bytez" wrote: > I'm working on a community template, and was going to save the document in > multiple langua...

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...