BP 3.0 features or hacks?

I installed our BP a few months ago and we have been in various stages of
testing before we roll it out to all of our users.  Our main goal is to
utilize the HRM module and allow employees to access their pay stubs and
print them off if needs be.  My administration has tasked me with 3 major
features that they would like to see before we roll it out.  I will list them
and what I have done to try and implement them:

Feature 1: require a password - I have changed authentication in IIS,
requiring all users to enter a username and password before accessing their
data.  It works, but does not timeout.

Feature 2: change the sick time on the employee pay sheet – I have tried a
number of things to hack this in, all of which are “unsupported” by
Microsoft, but the best I could do was turn both the sick time and the
vacation time text to white, thus “hiding” it.  There was no way to hide just
sick time without hiding both.  I explored embedding some javascript code
that would look for the row in that column and hide it, but it was cumbersome
and I was never successful.

Feature 3: Force a timeout – The way that this site is configured does not
allow forcing a timeout.  The only way to break a connection once it has been
established is to close the browser.  In researching it, the suggestions I
found to achieve this would require forcing the workstations to go to
screensaver after 5 minutes instead, and require a password to unlock the
workstation.  Somehow, this has to do with Sharepoint and using basic
authentication, but I never found a way that would work.  Apparently the
browser keeps the session alive as long as its open.

If anyone has ever tried to solve these issues, please let me know what you
have tried and if you were ever successful.

0
Briggs (1)

Hi Erik

I am not sure about Issues 1 and 2 but 3 we have "worked around".

we acutally display the Business Portal as a publcished application in
Citrix and set a time out on that applcation. I am not sure if you run Citrix
or not but it is an option.

Fliehigh

"Erik Briggs" wrote:

> I installed our BP a few months ago and we have been in various stages of
> testing before we roll it out to all of our users.  Our main goal is to
> utilize the HRM module and allow employees to access their pay stubs and
> print them off if needs be.  My administration has tasked me with 3 major
> features that they would like to see before we roll it out.  I will list them
> and what I have done to try and implement them:
>
> Feature 1: require a password - I have changed authentication in IIS,
> requiring all users to enter a username and password before accessing their
> data.  It works, but does not timeout.
>
> Feature 2: change the sick time on the employee pay sheet – I have tried a
> number of things to hack this in, all of which are “unsupported” by
> Microsoft, but the best I could do was turn both the sick time and the
> vacation time text to white, thus “hiding” it.  There was no way to hide just
> sick time without hiding both.  I explored embedding some javascript code
> that would look for the row in that column and hide it, but it was cumbersome
> and I was never successful.
>
> Feature 3: Force a timeout – The way that this site is configured does not
> allow forcing a timeout.  The only way to break a connection once it has been
> established is to close the browser.  In researching it, the suggestions I
> found to achieve this would require forcing the workstations to go to
> screensaver after 5 minutes instead, and require a password to unlock the
> workstation.  Somehow, this has to do with Sharepoint and using basic
> authentication, but I never found a way that would work.  Apparently the
> browser keeps the session alive as long as its open.
>
> If anyone has ever tried to solve these issues, please let me know what you
> have tried and if you were ever successful.

0
Fliehigh (443)
1/29/2008 8:11:00 PM
If you use Basic Authentication you can require a password. I've got a client
who does that. You have to install under Windows Authentication but you can
change the setting afterwards.

The Vacation and Sick page is not very customizable. It's a problem.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Erik Briggs" wrote:

> I installed our BP a few months ago and we have been in various stages of
> testing before we roll it out to all of our users.  Our main goal is to
> utilize the HRM module and allow employees to access their pay stubs and
> print them off if needs be.  My administration has tasked me with 3 major
> features that they would like to see before we roll it out.  I will list them
> and what I have done to try and implement them:
>
> Feature 1: require a password - I have changed authentication in IIS,
> requiring all users to enter a username and password before accessing their
> data.  It works, but does not timeout.
>
> Feature 2: change the sick time on the employee pay sheet – I have tried a
> number of things to hack this in, all of which are “unsupported” by
> Microsoft, but the best I could do was turn both the sick time and the
> vacation time text to white, thus “hiding” it.  There was no way to hide just
> sick time without hiding both.  I explored embedding some javascript code
> that would look for the row in that column and hide it, but it was cumbersome
> and I was never successful.
>
> Feature 3: Force a timeout – The way that this site is configured does not
> allow forcing a timeout.  The only way to break a connection once it has been
> established is to close the browser.  In researching it, the suggestions I
> found to achieve this would require forcing the workstations to go to
> screensaver after 5 minutes instead, and require a password to unlock the
> workstation.  Somehow, this has to do with Sharepoint and using basic
> authentication, but I never found a way that would work.  Apparently the
> browser keeps the session alive as long as its open.
>
> If anyone has ever tried to solve these issues, please let me know what you
> have tried and if you were ever successful.

0
callen (2505)
1/29/2008 9:05:18 PM
Yeah, I am already requiring a password, and it works.  They wanted it to
timeout after 5 minutes, but apparently IE holds the session indefinitely as
long as its open.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Citrix.  We do not use it, but I may be
able to do something similar.

The annoying part about the paycheck stubs is that you can configure the
printout in GP to add/remove whatever fields you want, but can't do that in
BP.

Does anyone know if BP4 (which is included with GP10) addresses any of these
issues?  I may be able to convince them to upgrade this year.

CRM 3.0, SBS 2003, and Faxing to multiple recipients
Ok, I've got a customer that wants to fax blast to a group of their leads... I have everything working fairly well with incoming and outgoing 'single' send faxes.... My question is...I can't for the life of me figure out how to create a quick campaign or campaign that will take my marketing list and fax to all of them instead of creating xxx number of Activities to do for the user (opening each 1 and clicking send)... There has to be a better way... Any ideas? thanks, james I am having the same problem. I cannot figure how to send multiple fax from a marketing list...

EDC #3
hello and thank you, Have anyone ever seen this error before "Validation Error 326:EDC verification is not enabled in Administrator." This happens after I swipe the credit card and hit "ok" thanks jameer Does it work if you manually type in the CC number? Have you checked in the RMS Administrator to make sure that the EDC is turned on? Daniel Westbrook NuRol Point of Sale and Barcoding www.nurol.com techs1@nurol.com 404-352-3587 "Jameer" wrote: > hello and thank you, > > Have anyone ever seen this error before "Validation Error...

Data Validation #3
Hi, How can i prevent duplicate of data in a coloumn using data validation Hi Mohamed See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Mohamed" <Mohamed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E0FD4D8-923D-4DBC-A1FC-D89792B5BFB8@microsoft.com... > Hi, How can i prevent duplicate of data in a coloumn using data validation Hi check out http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm for full details on how to do this. Cheers JulieD "Mohamed" <Mohamed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

I lost 3 notebooks in resetting 'my documents' location.
I moved my the location of my documents from the default on C to a separate physical disk, D. This followed reinstallation of W XP due to a drive failure on C. D had been the default location in the prior configuration. I reloaded the OS and several programs, including office (including OneNote) I made some notebooks, and then realized I needed to use the my documents on D. When I went through the procedure, the direct 'my documents' to the files on D, the 3 notebooks I had set up and used were no longer available in OneNote. The MyDocuments that had been on C...

Outlook Ex[ress 6.0 BCC in Sent Box
I am using Win XP Outlook Express 6.0 After I send mail using the BCC Email in the sent box does not show the BCC recipients, even after I select "all headers" Hi, Hal - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.window...

CRM 3.0 and Partners
When will partners receive our product key for Microsoft CRM 3.0? Also, do you know where we could find the documentation for migrating data from CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0? Thank you in advance for your time. We got our license keys earlier this week. Here is a good place to start looking for info on 1.2 to 3.0 migration. https://microsoft.order-7.com/CRMPartnerBeta/resources.asp There is also information in the Implementation Guide relted to upgrading. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Cayla" <Cayla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF8B6080-CC14-4C2C-AF...

If condition #3
I have 2 workbooks: wkbook1 and wkbook2 Each workbook has only one column (column A) with content. There are 10 rows with numbers in them. Sometimes these rows will vary depending on the updates. I.e. wkbook1 may have 5 rows of content, but wkbook2 may have 8 rows of content. Keep in mind that the content is only in Column A of both workbooks. I want to be able to compare both workbooks to see if the content in their respective Column A match. If there is a number (that is in wkbook2) that doesn't match what is in wkbook1, then I want to highlight with yellow those cells in wkbook2. F...

DomainPrep #3
I suspect there is the permission problem in my system causing 9186 & 9187 errors. Can I run /DomainPrep again to check permission? What would happen? thanks ...

E-mail #3
Am having problem sending Outlook E-Mail to some addresses .such as hot mail and msn...but I have others with similar addresses and outlook e-mail goes out to them. I know I am not blocking them as I have checked the blocking process....Could there be another reason for this. Thank you. ...

windows features blank screen
programs and features - Turn windows Features on and off comes up with a blank screen. i tried the driver scan thing with no success. Is there anything else that might work? John On 4/2/2010 5:27 PM, John wrote: > programs and features - Turn windows Features on and off comes up with a > blank screen. i tried the driver scan thing with no success. Is there > anything else that might work? > > John more info required. Borrowing from GTS How Not To Get Technical Help on Usenet http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html Vista 32 bit. Control Panel/Prog...

pivot table help #3
i created a pivot table for a set of data. client......dept....total......client total.... ..a............1.........65...... ................2.........45...... ..b............5.........10...... ................7.........22...... i want to add another column called client total which displays th totals for the clients.. i only having the top 2 depts showing for eac client. so the client total for client a isnt 110. i want the totals an the client totals. help would be greatly appreciated -- inprogres ----------------------------------------------------------------------- inprogress's Pr...

Web Part Communications
I have tried many combinations of header to detail, and card to transaction web part communications, but the subscriber never shows any results. Edit >> Connections >> Publish/Consume seem to point to each other correctly, and publishers and subscribers are using the same business entity. Why does the subscriber not show any data? Rich, Thanks for using the newsgroups. What version of BP are you using? Can you tell me specifically what entities you're trying to communicate between? Have you tried checking the "use alternate publishing method" or "...

Global Address Book #3
Without Exchange server, is there a way to publish or share an address book for IMO Outlook users? Much regards CR -- "Cnews-ms" <craig@nospam.net> wrote in news:O#JGiXS#EHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl: > Without Exchange server, is there a way to publish or share an address > book for IMO > Outlook users? > > Much regards > > CR > Check this page: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/groupcontacts.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP Stockholm Consulting Group/KSG http://www.scgab.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://home.hawaii.rr.com...

Outlook 2002 calendar #3
How can I share my calendar on Outlook 2002? Share with who? Another user on the same network? Are you connected to an Exchange server? -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Tips for cleaning up your mailbox Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _underscores_ from the address when mailing) ----- "Pat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

item look up #3
a customer is having an issue. he scans an item in the pos screen and all details show up. but when he tries to look for it later he cant find it. hes tried it in manager too. he would usse name, or barcode, or anything and still nothing. do we know what the problem is? Thanks If the item is set as inactive (in the item properties) it will not show up in the Find screen, but will scan in at the POS. You can turn off the find option, but I think it is easier to use one of the SOM reports to find the item, such as the price report. The item will show up in any report that includes it as...

Historical stock status #3
I need a report with beginning stock, receivings, sales, ending stock. Which table(s) are used for a historical stock status. Thanks, -- Toni Why not use the Historical Inventory Trial Balance report instead? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblosgter.blogspot.com "Toni" wrote: > I need a report with beginning stock, receivings, sales, ending stock. Which > table(s) are used for a historical stock status. > > Thanks, > -- > Toni ...

MS CRM 3.0 and Exchange Server 2000
I have a query regarding installation of CRM E-mail Router. I have a MS CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003 Server, we're using a Exchange Server 2000 on W2K Server SP4, can I install the Router on the Exchange Server 2000? check the implementaiton guide, it gives you system requirements "John Ding" wrote: > I have a query regarding installation of CRM E-mail Router. I have a MS CRM > 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003 Server, we're using a Exchange Server 2000 on > W2K Server SP4, can I install the Router on the Exchange Server 2000? > > > I have...

CHeaderCtrl #3
I am trying to initalize a CHeaderCtrl pointer but it doesn't work. I am using VS 2005 and this is what I have <code> CListCtrl& theListCtrl = GetListCtrl(); ASSERT(theListCtrl); CHeaderCtrl* pHdCtrl = theListCtrl.GetHeaderCtrl(); ASSERT(pHdCtrl); <code> It is not being initialized. -- Just Al I forgot to mention that this code is a derived class of CListView. CListView::InitListView(); -- Just Al "Al" wrote: > I am trying to initalize a CHeaderCtrl pointer but it doesn't work. I am > using VS 2005 and this is what I have > > <code&...

Thunderbird 3 to 2
Hello all I have recently upgraded Thunderbird from 2 to 3, and I much prefer 2. How does one 'downgrade' TB 3 to 2 ? Is this possible without losing all mail etc ? XP, SP3 TIA remove fred before emailing Registered Linux User 490858 Ask here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=39 scbs29 wrote: > Hello all > I have recently upgraded Thunderbird from 2 to 3, and I much prefer 2. > How does one 'downgrade' TB 3 to 2 ? Is this possible without losing > all mail etc ? > XP, SP3 > TIA > remove fred before emailing > Registered ...

Charting #3
Hi all, I have a fairly large list of data that is traking my stock trades. The data is listed 2/2/04 2/15/04 3/05/04... all the way from january to december each month has about 50 transactions. These dates are the dates sold. I have another column that has the % +/- of each trade. How can I make a chart that plots each trade and its percentage increase. and then I want another chart thats monthly +/- Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Confused Man Hi Confused man should be simple to plot rates of change - just select the column with the dates, and the column w...

BP queries
Hello: When you modify or create queries in Business Portal, where on the server are these queries stored? The IT director has voiced concern that, if queries are stored on the server in the Program Files directory, this could take up space on the typical C drive. Are queries stored on the IIS server? Also, is the file extension ".wpd"? Thanks! childofthe1980s childofthe1980s, Thanks for using the newsgroups. The queries are stored in SQL, and therefore, on the SQL Server. Thanks Rob -- Rob Bernhardt Software Quality Assurance Microsoft Business Solutions This post...

Script error #3
When attempting to launch Outlook 2003 I receive the following message "An error has occurred in the script on this page Line: 29 Char: Error: Class not registere Code: URL: outlook:toda Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes or No I have no idea what a script is or how to correct this problem. ...

Web.Extensions 3.5 conflicts with 1.0.61025
I have a Webapp which was developed for framework v2.0/lower, it references System.Web.Extentions 1.0.61025.0 I installed .net 3.5 on that box and the working webapp starts failing with the below error: error CS0433: The type 'System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptMethodAttribute' exists in both 'c: \WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions \1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' and 'c: \WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions \3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' There is no where System.Web.Extensions 3.5 is re...

Publisher 97 #3
I'm using Windows XP (home edition) Publisher 97 has been working fine until now.... I'm receiving the following: ASSERT. File: undialog.cpp Line: 1396 Abort/Retry/Ignore Anyone any idea how to fix this problem ???? Any help would be appreciated Thanks, Ken Hi Ken (kallen@canada.com) in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || I'm using Windows XP (home edition) Publisher 97 has been || working fine until now.... I'm receiving the following: || ASSERT. File: undialog.cpp Line: 1396 || Abort/Retry/Ignore When do you receive this error message? -- Brian Kvalheim...

DAO 3.6
I need to maintain a large VB6 app. I added XP Virtual Machine to my Win 7 computer. I loaded VB 6. I tried to run the app and got a message. looking for DAO 3.6. A box came up specifying C:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\DAO\dao360.dll. There was no file there. I looked on my old XP computer and it was there. I tried adding it to the new computer but it doesn't work. Is there a way to get the new machine to recognise this file? Tell me if I'm in the wrong place here. "Trouble" <Trouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9581...