Ask 2 MSFT Experts About v8.0 Security

Hello all,

Welcome to the first Business Solutions Community discussion held directly
in the Microsoft Great Plains newsgroup. During the week of September 20th,
Microsoft Escalation Engineer Kelly Youells and Microsoft Senior Development
Consultant David Musgrave will answer your version 8.0 security questions
directly in this newsgroup thread.

How is this different than any other week in the newsgroup? While product
experts like Kelly and David may frequent the newsgroup during their workweek
to answer as many questions as they can, they don't necessarily *solicit*
questions on a particular topic as we’re doing here. :)

During this weeklong discussion, these two volunteer experts will each
select 2-3 questions a day to respond to in this thread. Other experts and
users online may also offer their advice here. At the end of the week, we
hope to have a single thread that we can preserve for the benefit of other
users in the future.

Why are we doing a targeted newsgroup discussion like this? Because we want
to give you a chance to voice your questions and concerns about this
particular topic and get some concentrated help from two experts who feature
prominently in the community. And since we've seen a lot of questions raised
on Great Plains 8.0 security in this newsgroup, we figured it would be a good
topic to start with.

Here’s a little more background on our two expert hosts:

Kelly has been an escalation engineer on the Microsoft Business Solutions
environments technical support team for the past five years. She is based in
Fargo, North Dakota, where she spends a majority of each workday helping
customers troubleshoot product upgrade issues. You can read the version 8.0
upgrade Q&A we did with her in July on this Web page:
http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/UpgradeChat.aspx.

You may already know David from one of the nine Great Plains newsgroups he
monitors. Based in Perth, Western Australia, David has been working as a
Great Plains developer and consultant for 10 years (the past 3 with
Microsoft). He is currently working with the MBS Services Asia Pacific team
as a support engineer/consultant. He is the original author of Named
Printers, Advanced Security, Field Level Security, and Business Activity
Statement (for Australian GST), and he has made a number of contributions to
the code in the core Great Plains Dictionary.

In this discussion with Kelly and David, you may not get an immediate
answer; it may take a day for them to respond. Throughout the week, they will
check this thread and answer questions at a time that’s convenient for them.
However, you should feel free to post your questions at any time.

You may want to add this discussion to your Favorites list in Internet
Explorer. (To do so, click Favorites; then click Add to Favorites.) Then you
can check back later in the day, or the next day, to see if your question has
been answered. You can click Refresh to see if any new posts have been added
while you’ve been reading this thread.

To post a question or reply in this discussion, follow these steps using the
Web-based newsgroup reader:

1. Click Reply.
2. If prompted, sign in with your .NET Passport.
3. Edit the subject line if you wish.
4. In the Reply form, type your message or question in the Message box.
5. Review the text that you typed in the Body box to make sure it says what
you want; you cannot edit your message after you click Post.
6. To receive e-mail notification when someone posts to this thread, select
the Notify me of replies check box.
7. Click Post.

Feel free to use Outlook Express or another newsreader if you’re more
comfortable doing so.

Thanks for your participation in this discussion. This is our first time
conducting a chat in the newsgroup and we welcome your feedback and your
assistance. You can send comments to our Web team at the below e-mail
address. In addition, we’ll archive a link to this and future newsgroup chats
on the Business Solutions Community site.

Best wishes,
Michelle

--
Michelle Goodman, Editor
Business Solutions Community
www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/community
e-mail me at bizmeet@microsoft.com

a-micheg (46)

Ask your advice.
Hi all, We have exchange 2003 SP2 windows 2003 R2 envir. We have 4GB RM on the server. We have 10 mailbox stores. Now I need to create one mailbox store for several users (new dept) and should I put these users to the existing mailbox stores or create seperate mailbox store for these users? What's the memory penalty if I put these userson the new seperate mailbox store (from memory perspective?) Thank you! It probably doesn't matter much. -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "e...

Problem with VBScript in WinCE 6.0

charts #2
I want a chart with one set of columns and 3 lines. But I can only get 2 columns with 2 lines. Is there any way to have an odd number of columns and odd number of lines at the same time? Can anyone help. Hi Colin, Simply select one of the column data series and then change the chart type. (Right click and choose Chart type.) Colin wrote: > I want a chart with one set of columns and 3 lines. But I > can only get 2 columns with 2 lines. Is there any way to > have an odd number of columns and odd number of lines at > the same time? Can anyone help. -- Cheers Andy http:/...

Html Add-in #2
Hi ..Did anybody used the html addin or used the fire event(perform add item) if so then please provide an example as i really need it..thanks Faisal ...

Web Access #2
I am attempting to setup webaccess for my exchange server, unfortunately, I may be having an issue with my firewall. On the internal Lan, I am able to access mailboxes utilizing http://server/exchange. However, on the external side, I get a page can not be found error. Does anyone know the ports that should be opened or the redirection to allow for access to the exchange server utilizing Internet Explorer? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. ...

fullscreen #2
How do you get a window to go into fullscreen mode in Windows? I'd prefer to have it go into a 640x480 mode if possible. If you want to implement in this your MFC app, see this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B164162 -- --------------------------------------------------- Automate your software builds with Visual Build Pro http://www.kinook.com <anonymous@coolgroups.com> wrote in message news:77e2074d5c04fde297774dcc320cf07b@news.scbiz.com... > How do you get a window to go into fullscreen mode in > Windows? I'd prefer to have it go into ...

Web Query Help... #2
I have a web query that works perfectly. I have a column to the right of the query that references certain cells from the web query. The web query is updated every day. However, the query does not fill the same number of cells with data each day. One day there will be data from A1 to A53 but the next day there will be data from A1 to A67. My cells that reference this data works fine when the query returns data all the way to A67. However, if the query returns data to A53 it works that day but the next day if the query returns data to A67 all the cells after A53 give me a #REF! err...

Outlook 2007 Calendar #2
Hi guys, my outlook 2007 runs fine, until I open the calendar. Once I do Outlook freezes! My set-up: - WinXP Prof SP2 - Outlook 2007 (now with the SP 1 MSO) - Mail with IMAP - Calendar in local pst - My Outlook today works fine (including the calendar) - I am syncing through iTunes with my iPhone - still works fine - editing and creating new appointments works fine, too! - reminders for appointment works. ONLY opening the calendar view leads to a freeze! Steps I did to resolve (at least trying): - Office Diagnose - all fine - Outlook Repair - scanpst - no errors in the applicable pst. H...

Help, keeps asking for passwor
I downloaded a MS template from the MS Download site. It's for Excel and it is a Monthly Timesheet. It keeps asking me for a password when I try to modify it for our company. HELP Where did you download it from and what is it called ? Regards Trevor "dkk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F51C5E6-940A-42C7-BABB-DF89826992DC@microsoft.com... > I downloaded a MS template from the MS Download site. It's for Excel and it is a Monthly Timesheet. It keeps asking me for a password when I try to modify it for our company. > HELP Hi d...

formatting #2
How do I change my format menu to be constantly in HTML instead of Plain Text? Thanks Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Format Note that when you receive a Plain Text mail and choose Reply/Forward you'll compose that message in Plain Text as well. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003 Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net ...

Outlook asks for UID, Password & Domain
I am using Outlook 2000 on and XP Pro machine. I just bought 7 machines and reinstalled outlook on all my machines on an SBS 4.5 exchange client system. All but two machines work fine. For some reason on my machine and a second on the network, when I start Outlook I get a pop up box asking for username, password and domain. Once I install that info i get in. But when I close outlook and restart it, it does the same thing. buzz See if this article applies to you; http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321652 Also fix your system time; you're posting from the future! -- Robert Spa...

Testing #2

How can I discover who accessed Exchange 5.5 server with Outlook 2
I have an Exchange 5.5 server that has been accessed by someone with an Outlook 2003 client. This has caused OWA to stop working. How can I discover which mailbox has been accessed by the Outlook 2003 client? Regards When you look at the Logons information under the Private infomration store, it should show the last time they were accessed, and should also display which client accessed the mailbox. Outlook 2003 should show a client version of 11.0 Also, to be fair, this is a very well known issue, and the hotfix has been available for a long time. The KB article was published back ...

2 Questions
my first question is i have a recipe web site up but i have tried almost every search engine i can not seem to find any kitchen utensil clip art to use in the ingredients sections of the recipes. The web site is: http://shirleysrecipes.awardspace.biz. I need clip art that is applicable to the ingredients listed. Does anyone know what i can do? My other question is does anyone know of any free sub-domain web hosts that give the best bang for you time, including the capability to publish office 2007 and earlier files so they can be opened on the web instead of saved to the hard di...

Excel links #2
I have a spreadsheet with links to external files that I o longer need. When the file opens it complains that the links are not valid and ask if I want to browse for the files. I'd like to remove the links to the files, but I can seem to find if there are any cells referencing this external file. How do I remove these links. Thanks in advance. Ray Ray, One way would be to search the workbook for the ! character. Another option would be to download Bill Manville's "Link Finder". http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm John Ray wrote: > I have a spreadsheet w...

Outlook Security Questions
1.) How can I set Outlook to open new messages only on double click? Right now all new messages open automatically when I highlight them. This means that a known virus can not be deleted without opening it. How can I avoid this? 2.) How can I set font and font size default so that when starting a new message, I automatically get Times New Roman size 14 font? On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:33:22 -0800, "Dennis" <denkar@karlprod.com> wrote: >1.) How can I set Outlook to open new messages only on >double click? Right now all new messages open >automatically when I ...

Error Message #2
Hi, My computer (Windows 2000) has installed Publisher 97. Unfortunately when I try to open up Publisher 97 this comes up: "Mspub has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL. Mspub will now close." This problem could have been caused by the fact that I do not have the product code Actually I did not know Publisher 97 would run without a Product Code, as I have never tried it. This problem you describe is common and easily fixed, but have no idea if the failure to have a Product Code produces the same or similiar issue. This is an extremely common problem easily fixed. Rename the MSP...

Restricted Stock #2
Many companies are moving away from granting stock options to granting restricted stock. It does not appear, however, that Money 2005 or Money 2006 have functionality for restricted stock. Restricted stock is similar to stock options in that it usually vests over a period of time, but instead of exercising the option, the stock is simply granted to the employee. If it was that simple, I could simply enter the stock as an option with a 0 strike price. The real issue is that the stock pays a dividend during the vesting period that is paid to the employee and is taxed at ordinary rates...

ask
what are the ways on how to create a calendar... The easist way is to start with a template. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "geneva" <geneva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB30392C-CDC2-49D6-8BC7-2D915EA72E37@microsoft.com... > what are the ways on how to create a calendar... > When you open Publisher go to File, New and the wizard will come up with a list of most everything. Select the item you want to create and use what is there or substitute what is not wante...

CRM 3.0 for Outlook adn Outlook 2007
Does anyone know why CRM 3.0 for Outlook wil not work with Outlook 2007? Brellim, Make sure you have the v3c version of the CRM for Outlook, which is compatible with Office 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=740E1B3B-11C3-4AEF-B2E3-8309E0CF1BB0&displaylang=en If your question is not regarding compatibility, but that you're seeing errors in Outlook 2007 with the CRM addin, then you may want to be more specific. Peter Gernburd "brellim" <brellim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FEC8E5C3-D7EA-4B0F-A212-D9C61C5C1667@micro...

Check numbers #2
Hello, Does anyone know if it's possible to print checks in reverse order. We would like to print from 100-1 instead of 1-100. Our printer takes the page from the bottom of the pile and rearranging is a pain. Thanks, Tim Hi Tim, Isn't this something you can set in the printer properties? On my hp i can go into the printing preferences and tell it to print the last page first... Good luck. Nikki "tim" wrote: > Hello, > > Does anyone know if it's possible to print checks in reverse order. We > would like to print from 100-1 instead of 1-100. O...

help!!! #2
Can somebody tell me the name and location of the file that holds the address book? I have reinstall the outlook and imported the contacts from a comma delimited file, all of the contacts appear on the contact folder but when I open a new message window and click on the TO: button to add recipients a message saying that the address book could not be found and after that it shows a window asking for the proper list to show in a drop down list; that drop down list says 3 times the word "contacts" and if I select the second then all the contacts would appear but I don't kn...

excell #2
hello my dearest developers, I encounterd the following problem... Supposing that i a row full of data inevery cell Microsoft excell and all rows are full. I'd like now to "transpose" the row into column while inserting the data without overwriting the existing data. I'm waiting for ur precious help. One way .. Assuming source data is Sheet1, with entire rows filled from row1 to a max of row256 (btw 256 rows deep is the max possible for transposing to columns as there's only 256 columns per sheet!) In a new Sheet2 Put in A1: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,COLUMN()-1,ROW()-1) C...

Windows CE 6.0 ROMFLAGS and full-kernel mode
Hello, I compared description of the ROMFLAGS from CE 5.0 and CE 6.0 and it is the same. But is the meaning of the second bit in ROMFLAGS (Disable full-kernel mode) really the same in CE 6.0 as in previous Windows CE versions or now it is meaningless ? I guess that I don't know for sure, but I'd say it's meaningless. You can't turn off kernel/user mode division in CE6, so I don't know what the flag would mean. Paul T. "Dariusz Czarnecki" wrote: > Hello, > > I compared description of the ROMFLAGS from CE 5.0 and CE 6.0 and it is...

2003 to 2004 #2
I have money 2003 now if I get money 2004 will all the info form 2003 transfer to 2004? yes..... >-----Original Message----- >I have money 2003 now if I get money 2004 will all the >info form 2003 transfer to 2004? >. > Provided you are in the same region i.e. US > US or UK > UK. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:006501c3dc4e$933e2870$a301280a@ph...