allow customer or vendor CODES to be editable

Once a Vendor/Customer (or even an Inventory Item) is created, the CODE field
can no longer be edited.  In reality, people, companies, etc. change their
names.

This leaves few options:  (1) try to find and replace it in SQL (with
potentially dangerous results), (2) purchase 3rd party software to do this
(this should be part of the core), or (3) create a new account, and
inactivate and reference the old one (resulting in the loss of information
continuity).

The problem is GP uses these CODE fields as keys to transaction entry --  a
mistake in it's design in my mind.

I see two options to my suggestion:  (a) (allow the option to) use the
ShortName field as the key for transactions instead of the CODE field, or (b)
create a new (numberic) field to take the place of the CODE field (the new
field cannot be edited and simpy maps to the CODES in a SQL table.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e1e6769a-da85-4e3e-8bb6-f61dfd28e230&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
Dwayne (40)

You are correct, it is an error in design.  However, it is so deeply ingraned
that (a) it is hard to change, and (b) MOST systems make the same mistake.
Here are your options:

1.  Use codes not tied to customer/vendor names.  You can search using ANY
field in the database.  Shortname is almost always on the search window and
this field can be changed easily.  Ok, its too late to change now, I bet.
Assign meaningful ShortNames and use these as your primary account lookup.

2.  Use the Professional Toolkit components to change customer/vendor
numbers.  This tool changes the master tables as weil as all the transaction
and history tables.  It is available from MS and is NOT a 3rd party tool.
Works well.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Dwayne" wrote:

> Once a Vendor/Customer (or even an Inventory Item) is created, the CODE field
> can no longer be edited.  In reality, people, companies, etc. change their
> names.
>
> This leaves few options:  (1) try to find and replace it in SQL (with
> potentially dangerous results), (2) purchase 3rd party software to do this
> (this should be part of the core), or (3) create a new account, and
> inactivate and reference the old one (resulting in the loss of information
> continuity).
>
> The problem is GP uses these CODE fields as keys to transaction entry --  a
> mistake in it's design in my mind.
>
> I see two options to my suggestion:  (a) (allow the option to) use the
> ShortName field as the key for transactions instead of the CODE field, or (b)
> create a new (numberic) field to take the place of the CODE field (the new
> field cannot be edited and simpy maps to the CODES in a SQL table.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e1e6769a-da85-4e3e-8bb6-f61dfd28e230&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
info4071 (3004)
10/20/2007 12:17:00 AM
Hi Dwayne,

Another option you have is to look at two products:

1) "Changer" from CRG
http://www.crgroupsolutions.com/Products/DynamicsChanger.php
To change the Master ID

2) SmartFill from Rockton Software
http://www.rocktonsoftware.com/products.aspx?p=5
To allow you to search on Master Record Name (or other Fields) from the ID
field in the Dynamics GP windows.

These are both products that have been around for a few years and are used
by a lot of companies running Dynamics GP.

Therese Rudzis
Rockton Software

"Dwayne" wrote:

> Once a Vendor/Customer (or even an Inventory Item) is created, the CODE field
> can no longer be edited.  In reality, people, companies, etc. change their
> names.
>
> This leaves few options:  (1) try to find and replace it in SQL (with
> potentially dangerous results), (2) purchase 3rd party software to do this
> (this should be part of the core), or (3) create a new account, and
> inactivate and reference the old one (resulting in the loss of information
> continuity).
>
> The problem is GP uses these CODE fields as keys to transaction entry --  a
> mistake in it's design in my mind.
>
> I see two options to my suggestion:  (a) (allow the option to) use the
> ShortName field as the key for transactions instead of the CODE field, or (b)
> create a new (numberic) field to take the place of the CODE field (the new
> field cannot be edited and simpy maps to the CODES in a SQL table.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e1e6769a-da85-4e3e-8bb6-f61dfd28e230&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
ThereseR (73)
10/21/2007 12:05:00 AM
Hi Dwayne,

The GP database designers were not using the same logic as you are trying to
apply. This doesn't make it a bad design.

The code field for Vendors, Customers, and Items, is for YOUR reference ID,
period. Whatever external reference you are using there should be put
somewhere else. If it would help your users to understand this, you might
start using '000001, '000002', '000003', etc.

Regards,

--
Tom Garth

"Dwayne" wrote:

> Once a Vendor/Customer (or even an Inventory Item) is created, the CODE field
> can no longer be edited.  In reality, people, companies, etc. change their
> names.
>
> This leaves few options:  (1) try to find and replace it in SQL (with
> potentially dangerous results), (2) purchase 3rd party software to do this
> (this should be part of the core), or (3) create a new account, and
> inactivate and reference the old one (resulting in the loss of information
> continuity).
>
> The problem is GP uses these CODE fields as keys to transaction entry --  a
> mistake in it's design in my mind.
>
> I see two options to my suggestion:  (a) (allow the option to) use the
> ShortName field as the key for transactions instead of the CODE field, or (b)
> create a new (numberic) field to take the place of the CODE field (the new
> field cannot be edited and simpy maps to the CODES in a SQL table.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e1e6769a-da85-4e3e-8bb6-f61dfd28e230&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
TomGarth (12)

Entire Active Directory visible when Allowing Users to Edit Ranges
Excel XP on Windows 2000. TS Environment running Citrix. Following Problem: Tools - Protection - Allow user to edit ranges - new - permissions - add. This provides a list of the ENTIRE active directory of the domain. Where is the switch to turn this off or to limit the access? Am I in the right newsgroup even? Any hints will be greatly appreciated. ...

customize a calculated field in a Pivot table
I have a pivot table and instead of showing row and colum totals like the wizard creates automatically, I would like to have those fields calculate the averages of the values in the Data area. In addition, I need to make it a customized Average calculation, because I need to include empty cells in the denominator of the calculation, and not simply a count of the non-empty cells, the way the Excel Average function does. However, the online help for calculated fields in pivot tables says that you cannot use worksheet functions that require cell references as parameters. If that's the case,...

field service allow setup of cycle charge allowed up to
Field service needs to allow the setup in meter readings to have an amount for each meter reading that is not charged versus just a maximum in the base field. For instance the customer each meter reading gets the first 1000 cycles at no charge and .05 per cycle over the allowance. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsre...

Custom Report #4
Hi I am in the process of creating a custom report in Visual Studio. We are using CRM 4.0 and I chose not to use the report wizard as we require a more complex report. I have managed to create a simple report with our company logo and a table with details from the case entity. We need to create a service activity report which shows all the cases created for a specific customer during a specific time period. I have managed to make the report prefilterable and using the filter we can select the customer and the report will display a summary of each case logged for the customer. I now...

Need help with custom lookup
Hi, In CRM 3.0, I'm trying to create a custom lookup field, just the like Primary Contact on the Account form. I just want to add another lookup field that will search in Contacts, just like the Primary Contact field does. I created a custom entity and then created a 1-to-Many relationship between the new custom entity and the Account entity. That automatically created the desired lookup attribute, which I added to the Account Form, then published it. When I open an account, the lookup field is there, but when I click the magnifying glass button to do a lookup it does not find a...

Editing Dates
When I enter March 2010 into excel it automatically changes it to Mar-10. I'd like it to stay the way I originally typed it in. I already tried unchecking the autocomplete in the advanced options but it didn't work. Two options: 1. Precede your entry with an apostrophe (') 2. Format your cells as text before you enter data. Regards, Fred "laceylee1027" <laceylee1027@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55D904A4-FA49-425F-9837-D1104229E750@microsoft.com... > When I enter March 2010 into excel it automatically changes it to Mar-10. &...

Does Outlook 2003 allow multiple Exchange accounts?
Hi, I was wondering if Microsoft figured out a way to have more than one Exchange accounts in Outlook 2003? I realize that I can have multiple Exchange accounts in Outlook 2002 provided that I set them up as POP3 or IMAP. I'm talking about having multiple pure Exchange accounts w/ calendar and everthing. Thanks, Sam Nope. Only 1 Exchange account is still supported when working against 2 or more sites. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Sam" <sam@iqinternet.com> wrote in message news:e1sEVVao...

Error code 80070490
Hello Every one I am a Vista user but whenever trying to install Update for Windows Vista (KB972145) showing an error code-80070490. Please help me. Thank you. -- nandanchak ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nandanchak's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/180874.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1298431.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Vendor Lookup Field with Modifier
I would like to modify the ap entry form and create 1 or 2mores field. This additional field will be used to track related party vendor number/name For example, the invoice is being paid to Vendor A. But because our invoice for Vendor A may be related to Vendor B, I would like to enter this info in the system. Currently, we just enter the related vendor ID in the note field. But due to the large number of related party transactions, the users are entering incorrect vendor numbers or they are not properly formatted , in the note field. This makes it difficult to analyze related party...

Custom chart problems
In creating a custom chart, Excel doesn't seem to keep the border an chart background settings at "None"...all the other formatting i retained (fonts, etc.), but the chart always reverts to a solid whit background and a thin black border around the chart. I have to go i manually and remove these each time. Is there any way of creating an retaining these 2 settings as default or as part of a custom chart? Thanks Andre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Andrea - I've never noticed this behavior, but you're right, custom user-defined charts don't supp...

serialize address ID for customers
We would like our address ids to be automatically allotted sequentially starting 10001. We do not have VBA. Can this be done straight through sql? Sincerely, James No, you would have to use Dexterity or vba to do this as there isn't anything in GP that "defaults" address id's. patrick developer support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEB00187-F74E-492A-BC4E-643F9091840F@microsoft.com... > We would like our address ids to be auto...

Subform Coding Questions
Hi All! I have two subform issues. 1. My main form is an activity entry from where the user can add an activity for a specific project number. I have added a subform to display document(s) (if any) associated with the project. The projects and documents are linked through the documents table (i.e. each document is associated with one project, but each project can have more than one document). I want the subform to NOT appear if there are NOT any documents associated with that project. But, with the way the relationship is defined, I am not figuring out how to do this. The best ...

Custom LDAP/OPATH query to create custom address list?
I'm going to ask this again because it seems to be a big problem going to exchange 2007. How does one create a custom LDAP query to an external server to build a custom address list? It would be nice to be able to create custom address lists built on LDAP queries to Active Directory or OpenLDAP, etc. Can this be done? Only recipients in Active Directory can appear in Address Lists. You would have to import external recipients into AD as Contacts to be able to do this. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ------------------------...

read only form allows date to change
I have a form that I open in read only that has a calendar popup for the date fields. When I open the form the calendar pop up allows the date to be changed. The rest of the fields are read only. Any suggestions. Thanks Private Sub ViewActivityNote_Click() On Error GoTo Err_ViewActivityNote_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "FRM - Activity Note" stLinkCriteria = "[activitynoteid]=" & Me![activitynoteid] DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria, acFormReadOnly Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click: Exi...

Word unable to access Custom Dictionaries
Ever since migrating a user to a new computer, the custom dictionaries have been unavailable in Word. There are no errors, but enabling the dictionaries in the preferences has no effect and the drop-down menu in the spelling prefs is grayed out. I initially suspected permissions - thinking that somehow Word was unable to read or write to the file but even after blowing permissions wide open there is no change. I have removed & re-created the dictionaries, opened permissions, & repaired permissions using diskutil - no change. The user is running 10.6.2 & Office 2008 1...

Colour coding data
Hi- I would like to be able to automatically colour code percentages into red, amber, green depending on the number. I know this can be done but cannot figure out how! Any help appreciated Use conditional formatting. See http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html --- HTH Bob Phillips "Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD770409-882A-40E2-9D3D-DBAD19AD95D7@microsoft.com... > Hi- I would like to be able to automatically colour code percentages into > red, amber, green depending on the number. I know this can be ...

Payroll should allow concurrent builds by different users
In a company that is heavy payroll, all checks are processed in the same day but by different users for different subsets of employees. Allowing concurrent builds would be nice. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolution...

NUL characters are not allowed
Hi, We have install the exchange 2003 and we are encountering intermitten problem when sending email to internet (only to a certain email domain other are alright). When that happens, we receive a "NUL characters ar not allowed" error. <mail.anonymous.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 Requested action not taken: NU characters are not allowed.> This error usually happens when we reply to a certain email domain. When this happens, we would retry 2 or 3 times, it usually i successfully after 2 or 3 tries. It only affects a small number of email domain. Other email domain ha no problem. H...

what does whitespace not allowed in this location mean and how do.
i am importing data in csv to excel but it says 'file not loaded- whitespace not allowed in this location' what does that mean? and how do i cahnge it? ...

Editing the Outlook Toolbar
I want my helpdesk to be able to open a new Case from a button on their Outlook CRM Toolbar. However I can't find anywhere to Add the link/button. ...

Allowing pictures to download in Outlook 2002
My boss is using Outlook 2002 and I can't find this setting: Pictures don't download in his emails In 2003 it's under Tools - Options - Security - Change Automatic Download settings. Can anyone help? Thanks! ...

Outlook 2003 Navigation Pane
Just installed Office 2003, Outlook is pretty good, but one thing - how do you configure the Mail Pane to only show favourites or only show all mail folders. It defaults to showing both and this is already causing some people in our company confusion. Personally I think it's not very tidy and there should be an option to hide one or the other, but I can't see this option anywhere. Anyone help? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ You can't...

Cox Customers
For Cox Communications users: If you receive an e-mail from Support@cox.net with an attachment, it is a fraud that contains a virus. The mail suggests that a two day interruption in mail service will occur and that you can avoid the interruption by following the instructions in the attachment. Cox has begun cleaning the mail, but *do not* open any attachment, and delete the message immediately. This is real. Bruce Bruce <nospam@nomail.invalid> wrote: > For Cox Communications users: And how is this Outlook-related in any way? There are other forums for this type of announcemen...

If field value has changed allow an audit
Hi, Some will have objections to what I am doing and call it messy - but anyway. If a field has had its value changed I want to be able to continue with the audit if it has not then - allow the form to close without saving. So I have added the following to the forms beforeUpdate. The two fields that I want to check are numeric Me!Eng_Cost and Me!Ext_Cost I have tried the .Dirty and it is not intended to work here. So Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) ' Confirm with user that this record is to be modified Dim updRecord As Byte updRecord = MsgBox(...

Don't allow checks in Payroll to be dated back to a closed year.
Clients occationally enter a check date in error there are not errors or warnings to provent them from posting the check back to the closed year. There are safeguards for Financial to keep it from posting to the GL, but not payroll. Luckily the client can remove the 2004 year end file, void the checks and then re-create the year end file. We would like to see some prevention in this area. You have marked the periods in the prior year closed for the Payroll module? "JJONES from InterDyn-Artis" <JJONES from InterDyn-Artis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...