additional SQL instances/best practices

Hello:

Like most firms, we create test databases for clients that contain a copy of
the client's live company's data.

Someone suggested that we should first create a separate SQL instance,
stating that Best Practices maintains that it is best to have a separate
instance of GP SQL databases.

Does Best Practices really maintain that it is best to have a separate
instance as a Great Plains test environment?

Also, isn't it much harder to maintain a test environment if the test
company is in a separate instance of SQL server?

And, if a client does have a separate instance of SQL for testing, is it
just as easy to restore a copy of the live company into the test company,
considering that the live and test companies would be in separate instances?

Thanks!

childofthe1980s

The problems of maintaining duplicate customer configurations.........

Separate instances of SQL allow you to have separate Dynamics databases and
different 3rd party products installed.

Many separate instances will clutter your server and can slow it down.  You
will want to shut down or stop instances not in use and run only those you
are working with now.

VPCs work really great in that a complete  separate environment (virtual
machine) hosts the client's configuration.  Space gets to be a problem for
large databases.

Frequently, clients will allow you to connect remotely to their systems.  At
each, run a duplicate database for testing and training.  Then you can test
their problems on their equipment and their data.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Like most firms, we create test databases for clients that contain a copy of
> the client's live company's data.
>
> Someone suggested that we should first create a separate SQL instance,
> stating that Best Practices maintains that it is best to have a separate
> instance of GP SQL databases.
>
> Does Best Practices really maintain that it is best to have a separate
> instance as a Great Plains test environment?
>
> Also, isn't it much harder to maintain a test environment if the test
> company is in a separate instance of SQL server?
>
> And, if a client does have a separate instance of SQL for testing, is it
> just as easy to restore a copy of the live company into the test company,
> considering that the live and test companies would be in separate instances?
>
> Thanks!
>
> childofthe1980s
0
info4071 (3004)

Maximum practical Outlook 2007 .pst file size #2
I would like to ask basically the same question as recent post except I am curious more about 2007. I too have seen pc's drag down with larger pst files. The user I have currently has 8Gb in a single local pst file and the pc is unreasonably slow. It's a very new machine so it shouldn't be cluttered up with other stuff... But acting slower that slower pcs. ps Sorry if this is a repost, I have it in my sent box but I dont see it on the server. Not sure about 2007, we are using 2003 and we like to keep it below 2gb in size after that you have to create a new psd file. We h...

Pass Through to SQL Server Optimization Questions II
This is a test in running a pass through to SQL Server query vs the same query run to linked SQL Server tables. The pass through query runs much faster but loops through the recordset much slower. What accounts for this? The results of my test (Function DoTimer below) are here. I realize that the results gleaned from the recordset loop could be done in its own query, but the point of this is just to test. 5. q_PassThrough: 3.75 Total Time: 19.3125 Rows: 58532 - SalesAllTotal: 8121654735.25297 Rows: 58532 - Looping through recordset cumulative total time: 4.859375 seconds. q_PassThrough - A...

Contracts additional Features
First suggestion is to allow decimal points in the Quantity field on the contract line. Second Feature, provide a mechanism to allow users to adjust pricing or quantity on contract line. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Busin...

Virtual PC Additions Additions
Hey there people of wonderland. I've been trying to install the Virtual PC Additions after installing VPC 6.0.156.0 2007 and setting up two Virtual PCs with Windows 7 and Linux Feroda Core, Host being XP Pro 2002 SP3. When selecting "Action" | "Install/Update ..." nothing happens. then following the manual steps stated in the summary of "If the installation does not automatically start..." then again, nothing happens. Can anyone please help? Many thanks, Jo Johann wrote: > Hey there people of wonderland. > I've been trying to install the Virtual ...

Login failed on local SQL server
Hi all I've got a SQl server instance on my local pc which I use for development before transferring to test/production servers. I have full administrative rights. I've been using it for about a year with no problems until yesterday. I tried opening SQL server management studio and got the message "Login failed for user 'myid'". I've checked my event viewer from Control Panel | Administrative Tools and there's not much further information other than Event ID 18456, Ctegory 4. I've googled and the only help out there indicates that the err...

public folder instances
Hi, I had 2 Exchange Enterprise 2003 servers--"Mail" and "Mail1". "Mail1" was a 2000 server and was upgraded to both Exchange Enterprise 2003 and Windows Enterprise 2003. "Mail" was made strictly on W2003 Ent, and Exchange Ent 2003 and joined to the Exchange tree. I thought that I had synchronized all of the public folders prior to reformatting and rebuilding the "Mail1" server, but I was in error. The real data in the public folders is still there; however, things like OAB2 and OAB3 as well as the Busy/Free data didn't come over so th...

SQL in Excel?
In Excel 2000/XP is it possible to treat a range of cells as a table and run sql statements against it? for example in sheet1 I have 3 columns Item_code, quantity, amount. If I want to calculate the total quantity, and amount for every Item to appear in Sheet2 which I could get by the following SQL statement select item_code, sum(quantity),sum(amount) from table_name (or range of cells) group by item_code thx MAB, Very easy using an ODBC connection. I use ADo myself, others use other techniques. Here's an example using ADO, it copies the recordset to an array. In XL2002 you can cop...

additional SQL instances/best practices
Hello: Like most firms, we create test databases for clients that contain a copy of the client's live company's data. Someone suggested that we should first create a separate SQL instance, stating that Best Practices maintains that it is best to have a separate instance of GP SQL databases. Does Best Practices really maintain that it is best to have a separate instance as a Great Plains test environment? Also, isn't it much harder to maintain a test environment if the test company is in a separate instance of SQL server? And, if a client does have a separate instance of...

SQL Report using data from Multiple GP Companies
Is it possible to create a SQL Reporting Services report that will pull the same fields of data from more than one GP company? For instance, we have a customer that would like to pull Fixed Asset information from multiple GP companies. (Asset ID, Asset Description, Original Life in Years, Placed in Service Date, Cost Basis, Accumulated Depreciation, Net Book Value). I would assume you would have to create a data connections for each GP Company. But then would you create a separate table on the report for each company? Or would you use subreports? Just wondering if anyone has done it and...

Barcode Addition
I have acquired a Truetype barcode font. Is there a way to create and include address barcodes in or out of Publisher? -- Maurice <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have acquired a Truetype barcode font. Is there a way to create and > include address barcodes in or out of Publisher? An article: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP011269721033.aspx -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher I would suggest that you read up on barcodes as there is way more to it than having a barcode font.. -- Mike Hall MVP - Windows Sh...

Create SQL temp table then open it using Dex?
I'm wanting to have a stored proc create a temp table and insert records. Then I'd like to use that temp table in Dexterity. This wouldn't involve report writer, it's all code. Here's my thoughts on the code: * call stored proc from dex * the stored proc puts data in a temp table and puts the temp table name in an OUT param * dex uses the value in the OUT param to do a 'open table BLAH with name [param value]' Is something like this possible? Thanks. Bryce This is possible, but because Dex is fussy about it's table structure, it is actually better to let...

reference an open instance of IE
Does anyone know how to reference an already open instance of IE in VBA? rather than Set ie = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application") which creates a new instance. Try the function below. Tim '*********************************************** 'Usage... dim ie as object set ie = GetIE("http://www.google") if not ie is nothing then msgbox "found IE!" 'do stuff with ie else msgbox "IE not found!" end if 'Find an IE window with a matching (partial) URL 'Assumes no frames. Function GetIE(sAddress ...

Syntax Error in SQL Code for Email Alert
I am attempting to set up a SQL job that sends me an email alert each time a certain customer makes a payment. I am getting the following syntax error Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 45 Incorrect syntax near '12'. with the following code. Can someone please help me troubleshoot it? The query by itself produces the desired result in SQL Server Management Studio, but throws this error when I add the code for the email. Any other comments or improvements are welcome. GP10, SP3, SQL Server 2005. Thanks --------------------------------------------------------...

Best Practices for Development in GP's using Custom Tables
Is there any such document/direction? We write custom solutions for our clients using everything from eConnect, to ..NET etc. Is there a guideline for creating or not creating, custom database tables in GP's productions databases? Cheers, JM ...

Additional Licenses
I recently purchased licenses for 2 additional lanes for a client's RMS Store Ops system. They were sent a new (parallel) dongle. When they try to log on to POS on the 2 additional registers the system acts as if it is still only licensed for 1 lane & says register 1 already logged on. Is there something they must to to have RMS recognize the additional licenses? You might try uninstalling the dongle driver( rainbow) and reinstalling it. So it sees the new one. "Ron Bender" <Ron Bender@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6081F9C-FE5C-4146-A01C-9DB6...

Waitstats Performance on sql 2005
If one was to track wait times for span of an hour, what should be an acceptable wait percentage based on total waits for the following resources: ASYNC_NETWORK_IO CXPACKET SLEEP_BPOOL_FLUSH WRITELOG PAGEIOLATCH_EX PAGEIOLATCH_SH Thanks in advance There is to my knowledge no 'ratios' given as best practices between the listed wait types. It has been my experience (which is VERY deep on this topic) that it is almost always completely obvious which one(s) of the waits is really the problem indicator. I assume you ...

addition
When I change a number in one of the cells the result won't change when I click "enter'". (this is in addition) press F9 and see what happens, if it calculates then you should do this: goto tools,options, calculations, set calculations to automatic -- davesexcel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31708 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=519017 ...

Presence Detection
HI, I am running Exchange 2K3 with Outlook 2003. I have precense detection working (Call Work etc...) I would like to add a link to my companies portal web page in the Additional Actions window. Currently it says "No additional actions found", so I assume you should be able to add tasks/actions here. Is this possible, if so how is this done? Thanks ...

SQL Reporting Services and Multiple Databases
Creating a report to work against a single database is pretty easy. Does anybody have a good method for making the same report work for any company database? I'm not talking about consolidating them but being able to have the report set up once and make it dynamically use the company I specify. -- Charles Allen, MVP Charles, I saw a technique like this one http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Development/2945/ at SQL Saturday in Orlando so I know it can be done. Essentially you're passing a parameter to the connection string similar to using a parameter in a report. Mark ...

SQL Server on Virtual Machine
Hi, If my SQL server is on VM while my CRM server is on an exclusive server, how will this affect the performance of the CRM application? We are expecting roughly 1.5M records to be loaded in the database server? Hoping for your immediate response. Thanks. Agnes Hi Agnes, you did not mention what kind of VM you're using so the answer to all performance questions is, of course, "it depends". As a rule of thumb we usually expect VM sitting on top of other OS (ie Virtual Server) to perform about 5-10% slower than a "real" machine but if you have something like ...

How do I increase the number of additions etc.from 30
It appears that I cannot add up more than 30 cells at a time. Is this true and/or is there a way round it? Definitely FALSE. How are you trying to add? If your formula is something like =a1+a2+a3.. you may have hit the ?255 character maximum for a formula. If the cells you want to add are in a contiguous block(s) it would be better to use something like =sum(a1:z999). Regards. Bill Ridgeway Computer Solutions "leonperrins" <leonperrins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44C1371C-30E3-4C3B-B898-7EBC257E2D22@microsoft.com... > It appears that I canno...

sql server 2005
I want like to know how to do the following in sql server report service 2005: 1. Setup a main report and have it pass selected parameters to various subreports. 2. Setup a table of contents for a report that has a main report and various subreports. http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/learn-sql-server/beginning-sql-server-reporting-services-part-1/ - --Reporting Services http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/learn-sql-server/beginning-sql-server-reporting-services-part-2/ - --Reporting Services http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/learn-sql-server/beginning-sql-server-reporting-services-part...

addition on a form
i need to add totals in text boxes to give me one total for all on the form Carl, Umm, not alot to go on... In the Form Footer put a Text Box with... =[Field]+[Field]+[Field] -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "Carl" <Carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:851E5E98-63B0-4145-953D-B34E21EB097D@microsoft.com... i need to add totals in text boxes to give me one total for all on the form O...

Consequences to setting the db compatibility level to SQL Server 2000
We have a Sql Server 2005 DB. For whatever reason, the compatibility level (e.g. via sp_dbcmptlevel) is set to 80 (which is Sql Server 2000). What are the consequences of that? Is there a performance penalty for my apps because of the compatibility level? Regards Frank No, it does not relate to performance, it does to the new features such as ROW_NUMBER() function that won't work "Frank Rizzo" <none@none.net> wrote in message news:O7CsZS8nKHA.4648@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > We have a Sql Server 2005 DB. For whatever reason, the compatibility level...

Getting the autonumber value after adding new record when dao points to SQL rather than JET
Access 2003, SQL 2000, Windows XP I usually worked in DAO and JET and have the luxury of being able to do the following: ----------------------------------------- dim lngClientId as long dim rs as recordset set rs = currentdb().openrecordset("tblClient") rs.addnew rs![Surname] = "test surname" rs![FirstName] = "test firstname" lngClientId = rs![ClientId] 'ClientId is an autonumber field rs.update rs.close set rs = nothing --------------------------------------- I end up with the value of the autonumber field after adding a new record. Of course this do...