Adding Memory to Server

We are running GP 9 on Microsoft Serevr2003, SP1 on a dual processor Compaq
server with 2 GB RAM

An older document on GP 8 hardware requirements states the boot.ini file
should enable the /3GB and/or /PAE switch if more than 2 GB RAM is
available.  Then the doc references Microsoft article 283037.

This VERY confusing article appears to conflict itself regarding these two
switches.  And it also states the /3Gb and /PAE switches are used when more
than 4 GB RAM is available.  The article discusses dramatic performance
problems when RAM switches are not correctly set.  I was unable to find a
Hardware Requirements doc for GP 9.

Is there any knowledge out there regarding these switches.  I need to know
before adding an additional 2 GB RAM for a total of 4 GB in the GP server.

dave Admin

0
dmackler (5)

Hi Dave,

In the instances where I had configured a server with SQL 2000 Enterprise
Edition for use with Great Plains:

If the machine had between 2GB and 3GB RAM I did not use either switch as it
did not have any significant improvement for the performance of SQL.

If the machine had 4Gb RAM, I only used the /3GB switch
This meant SQL server Enterprise Edition would use up to 3GB RAM.

If the machine had more than 4Gb RAM, then I only used the /PAE switch and
figured within SQL to use AWE memory in excess of the 4Gb RAM. (Refer to SQL
2000 Books Online under the topic "Using AWE Memory  on Windows 2000"

There were no instances where I used both /3GB and /PAE on a server was
dedicated for SQL Server.

------
Robert

"Dave Mackler" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message
> We are running GP 9 on Microsoft Serevr2003, SP1 on a dual processor
> Compaq server with 2 GB RAM
>
> An older document on GP 8 hardware requirements states the boot.ini file
> should enable the /3GB and/or /PAE switch if more than 2 GB RAM is
> available.  Then the doc references Microsoft article 283037.
>
> This VERY confusing article appears to conflict itself regarding these two
> switches.  And it also states the /3Gb and /PAE switches are used when
> more than 4 GB RAM is available.  The article discusses dramatic
> performance problems when RAM switches are not correctly set.  I was
> unable to find a Hardware Requirements doc for GP 9.
>
> Is there any knowledge out there regarding these switches.  I need to know
> before adding an additional 2 GB RAM for a total of 4 GB in the GP server.
>
> dave Admin

0
Robert

your microsoft crm server application has not yet been upgraded. Upgrade microsoft crm server first, and then try upgrading Microsoft crm sales for outlook again
Help me, I'm installing MSCRM SFO 1.2 on a windows XP machine (sp1) i'm getting the error: your microsoft crm server application has not yet been upgraded. Upgrade microsoft crm server first, and then try upgrading Microsoft crm sales for outlook again I do find 2 postings about the same problem, but no answer on this problem... The server is a win2000 server with MSCRM 1.2 installed, IE 6 sp1 Exchange server has Exchange 2000, and outlook 2002 installed, IE 6 sp1 The XP machine has outlook 2002 installed, sp1, IE 6 sp1 including some bug fixes I can't figure out what i need ...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

nslookup
Hi. Got a nslookup question if anyone knows the answer it would be greatly appreciated. We have many DC's in our site. At times, when I run nslookup I will get the following results: DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. *** Can't find server name for address 10.x.x.x: Timed out DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. *** Can't find server name for address 10.x.x.x: TImed out *** Default servers are not available Default Server: UnKnows Address: 10.x.x.x The IP's that show above have been DC's that have been demoted and are no lon...

ADDING A NUMBER

using ISP mail server?
I have a website and naturally use the hosting company's mail server. Recently, I had a few boucebacks and technical support suggested using my ISP's server. I don't know if I can do that and keep the same mail accounts. It would be silly if I had to use emails not ending in our domain name. I don't see how it would work, but I don't see a lot of things. Any thoughts? Thanks, Peter Not an Outlook issue - I would suggest talking to your hosting company for answers to how their mail server would work with your domain mail. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all...

adding new records

"view like server explorer"
Hi to all, I want to develop a view like server explorer that .Net has got. I am using vc++ 6.0 and MFC. Hope for the response soon. Thanking You. Your's Satyam Kumar Das. Use a tree control (CTreeCtrl) and image list (CImageList) and create accordingly. - MR "Satyam Kumar" <Satyam Kumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C4461D8-FEFC-4B37-9D13-FF3C939461F9@microsoft.com... > Hi to all, > I want to develop a view like server explorer that .Net has got. I am > using > vc++ 6.0 and MFC. > Hope for the response soon. > Thanking You. >...

When adding attachments...

Unable to leave Inbox on Server
I am configuring Microsoft Outlook 2002 so that I can access my work email from my laptop remotely. When I access my employers server I down load my email to my laptop just fine. However, when I arrive at my desk top at work, the email meesages that I down loaded at home do not show up on my desk top at work. How can I configure my laptop Outlook so that it leaves the messages on my employer's server? .. what type of mail server do you use? there is an option in the account properties to leave mail on server when you use a pop account. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author,...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Adding alternate columns

Exchange Server 5.5 Help #2
Hello, Is there a way to set out of office reply on the email server rather than at the client's machine? because when the client's machine is off, no reply will be sent. I am using exchange server 5.5 with internet mail connector. Thank You leo7802@hotmail.com (Leo) wrote: >Hello, > >Is there a way to set out of office reply on the email server rather >than at the client's machine? because when the client's machine is >off, no reply will be sent. I am using exchange server 5.5 with >internet mail connector. > >Thank You Out Of Office messages are c...

Adding fields from a different query

Error: not enough memory message #2
Excuse me, as I ask this again, this time with more info given. I am using Outlook Express on XP Pro. After I download messages, I am unable to open in a separate window or reply. I read something somewhere about msblaster possibly being related to this. Yet I still have not found much info on this. ...

AD Monitoring
Is there a listing somewhere of what all components in AD should be minitored, thresholds, etc...we are evaluating a monitoring solution and need this information to take a decision on the product to use Hello Sameer, For performance start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961943.aspx Also see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727046.aspx Use the included links from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739728(WS.10).aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...

Adding Terms & Conditions to the Quote Form
We have a client that would like to add their Terms & Conditions (T&C) text to the bottom of their GP Quotes. I've read that static text boxes in Report Designer can only be 80 characters, so that won't work as the T&C text is approximately 4-5 pages long. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add this significant amount of text to a GP form? Thank you in advance. Scott No can do Scott - Report Writer is just not capable of this. The best solution is to purchase Accountable Software's Forms Printer - www.accountable.com. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East...

Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug where the payees in my downloaded transactions are automatically added to my payee list (this despite the fact that I've checked off the option "Confirm new payees"). This alone would be worth the upgrade. On the subject of 2006, does anyone know if Microsoft added the cookie jar concept to accounts? The cookie jar allows you to squirrel money away within an account. TIA greg.block@gmail.com wrote: >Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug >where the payees in my downlo...

Adding Collapse/Expand to Publisher 2003 items
Hi I'm trying to enter a text box which may be expanded/Collapsed as follows: > More Info... > Next Item... > More Info... When you want bla bla bla, do bla bla bla, > Next Item... Can anyone tell me how to implement it?! Thank you 'bla bla bla' is the sound of geckos mating - so the naturalists tell me. No, you cannot do what you want. Your answer is rude & arrogant. I don't know why would anyone put you in a position to Accept calls for help. Besides - I don't believe it can't be done. Please don't call again "*...

adding lines to added data
I have added data to an existing worksheet but when printed the row lines and column border lines do not show. How do I add the lines to the added border to match the existing lines? ...

Adding 1 year's difference to user's input of yyyy-yyyy?
If a user inputs 2000-2001, or 2007-2008, is there a way to formulaically have the cell underneath increase by one year? i.e., if in B2 the user input, say, 2005-2006, B3 would show 2006-2007 and B4 would show 2007-2008, etc. down the column? Thank you! :oD Try this: =IF(B2="","",VALUE(LEFT(B2,4))+1 &"-"& VALUE(RIGHT(B2,4))+1) and copy down the column for as many as you need. Hope this helps. Pete On May 29, 3:16 pm, "StargateFanFromWork" <NoS...@NoJunk.com> wrote: > If a user inputs 2000-2001, or 2007-2008, is there a way t...