Accessing Great Plains Remotely

Does anyone work from home or on the road in Great Plains? If you do,
what are you using. One of my bosses wants to be able to enter orders,
look at financials, etc., on the road or from home. I think he thinks
it's a toy. Any suggestions?

Right now we are on GP 6.0 (Pervasive SQL 2000) We will be upgrading
to 7.0 in a month or so, then to GP 8 SQL early next year.

Thanks in advance

Julie
0
potato (23)

Either Terminal Server or Citrix come to mind as the preferred ways to access
just about anything remotely. Most of my clients use Citrix because it seems to
work better in low bandwidth situations - ie. dialup modem use etc....

My wife sometimes works from home as her employer uses Citirx to give her access
to Lotus Notes, email, Office appications, and her own directories on their
server.

Lyle

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:35:08 -0500, julietta carpentieri <potato@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone work from home or on the road in Great Plains? If you do,
>what are you using. One of my bosses wants to be able to enter orders,
>look at financials, etc., on the road or from home. I think he thinks
>it's a toy. Any suggestions?
>
>Right now we are on GP 6.0 (Pervasive SQL 2000) We will be upgrading
>to 7.0 in a month or so, then to GP 8 SQL early next year.
>
>Thanks in advance
>

>Julie

Terminal Server/Citrix is the way to go.
HS

"julietta carpentieri" <potato@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone work from home or on the road in Great Plains? If you do,
> what are you using. One of my bosses wants to be able to enter orders,
> look at financials, etc., on the road or from home. I think he thinks
> it's a toy. Any suggestions?
>
> Right now we are on GP 6.0 (Pervasive SQL 2000) We will be upgrading
> to 7.0 in a month or so, then to GP 8 SQL early next year.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> Julie

0
HSalim (1270)
9/19/2004 7:48:15 PM
We run it on a Windows 2003 terminal server exclusively.  By exclusively I
mean that we don't install the Great Plains client on any client machines
and we have users connecting from all over the country internally and over a
VPN.  This keeps us from having to run around updating dictionaries
everywhere and troubleshooting client problems.  We've also installed Office
2003 on the terminal server so that the regular export to Word or Excel
functions will still work.  You will want to turn off the logoff after X
minutes functionality in the group profile to keep from improperly logging
off users and stranding them if you're not running Great Plains 8.0.

If you do install Office 2003 on the terminal server, make sure you use the
Enterprise edition of Office 2003 since that's the only one that has
complete functionality with a terminal server according to the
documentation.

-Bill

"julietta carpentieri" <potato@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone work from home or on the road in Great Plains? If you do,
> what are you using. One of my bosses wants to be able to enter orders,
> look at financials, etc., on the road or from home. I think he thinks
> it's a toy. Any suggestions?
>
> Right now we are on GP 6.0 (Pervasive SQL 2000) We will be upgrading
> to 7.0 in a month or so, then to GP 8 SQL early next year.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> Julie

0
Bill7393 (298)
9/20/2004 8:38:21 PM
What are the specs of the server you are running this on?
How long have you had this up and running?
I'd like to find out more information regarding this, as running to
each machine like you pointed out below, is no fun.
you can email me at the address below, and I will give you my work
email. We will be upgrading to 8.0 early next year, and this sounds
like an option I'd like to pursue.

Thanks,

Julie

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:38:21 -0500, "Bill"
<Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We run it on a Windows 2003 terminal server exclusively.  By exclusively I
>mean that we don't install the Great Plains client on any client machines
>and we have users connecting from all over the country internally and over a
>VPN.  This keeps us from having to run around updating dictionaries
>everywhere and troubleshooting client problems.  We've also installed Office
>2003 on the terminal server so that the regular export to Word or Excel
>functions will still work.  You will want to turn off the logoff after X
>minutes functionality in the group profile to keep from improperly logging
>off users and stranding them if you're not running Great Plains 8.0.
>
>If you do install Office 2003 on the terminal server, make sure you use the
>Enterprise edition of Office 2003 since that's the only one that has
>complete functionality with a terminal server according to the
>documentation.
>
>-Bill
>
>"julietta carpentieri" <potato@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone work from home or on the road in Great Plains? If you do,
>> what are you using. One of my bosses wants to be able to enter orders,
>> look at financials, etc., on the road or from home. I think he thinks
>> it's a toy. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Right now we are on GP 6.0 (Pervasive SQL 2000) We will be upgrading
>> to 7.0 in a month or so, then to GP 8 SQL early next year.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

>> Julie

0
potato (23)
9/21/2004 2:48:44 AM
We also use Terminal Server for our remote locations and at our HQ (for all
software apps, not just Great Plains).  It really saves on VAR costs when
you upgrade (Only one machine to upgrade, though for emergencies it is good
to have it loaded locally on one machine.  We do, but have never had to use
it luckily), and you can manage all users from any console via remote
control.  You are also able to print to any printer on your terminal server
environment without having network printers.

You will want to make sure that your desktops have a lot of RAM (we have
512MB in each of ours), and getting printers to connect can be a hassle.  We
have been using the HP LaserJet 1200 and 1300 series printers and they work
fabulously.  It also helps if all of your computers are on the same OS (less
printer driver compatibility issues).  If there is no need for any local
software apps, you could really save money and get thin clients with a ton
of RAM (we do this at our warehouses).

I would also recommend the RDP client from Microsoft over the standard
terminal services client.  RDP comes with XP Pro, and is available gratis on
Microsoft's website.  We have had this set-up for almost 3 years now and
have offices in 10 states.  We have used both GP6.0 PSQL and GP7.5SQL in
this environment with no problems.

HTH

> What are the specs of the server you are running this on?
> How long have you had this up and running?
> I'd like to find out more information regarding this, as running to
> each machine like you pointed out below, is no fun.
> you can email me at the address below, and I will give you my work
> email. We will be upgrading to 8.0 early next year, and this sounds
> like an option I'd like to pursue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julie
>

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:38:21 -0500, "Bill"
> <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We run it on a Windows 2003 terminal server exclusively.  By exclusively
> >mean that we don't install the Great Plains client on any client machines
> >and we have users connecting from all over the country internally and
over a
> >VPN.  This keeps us from having to run around updating dictionaries
> >everywhere and troubleshooting client problems.  We've also installed
Office
> >2003 on the terminal server so that the regular export to Word or Excel
> >functions will still work.  You will want to turn off the logoff after X
> >minutes functionality in the group profile to keep from improperly
logging
> >off users and stranding them if you're not running Great Plains 8.0.
> >
> >If you do install Office 2003 on the terminal server, make sure you use
the
> >Enterprise edition of Office 2003 since that's the only one that has
> >complete functionality with a terminal server according to the
> >documentation.
> >
> >-Bill
> >
> >"julietta carpentieri" <potato@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> >> Does anyone work from home or on the road in Great Plains? If you do,
> >> what are you using. One of my bosses wants to be able to enter orders,
> >> look at financials, etc., on the road or from home. I think he thinks
> >> it's a toy. Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Right now we are on GP 6.0 (Pervasive SQL 2000) We will be upgrading
> >> to 7.0 in a month or so, then to GP 8 SQL early next year.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>

> >> Julie

0
eatlotsof (67)
9/21/2004 3:24:56 PM
Personally...if it just you needed to get onto the
application remotely...I use gotomypc.com.
I loginto a WS @ work then connect to Great Plains using
that WS.
Works Great.
Only thing is the WS you are using cannot be in use by
another user.

if you are running XP ...just use the built in remote
desktop.

I don think purchasing the terminal or citrix server for
one user is very cost effective...let alone the hardware
and support.

My .02 cdn

Tami

0
anonymous (74719)
9/21/2004 3:32:51 PM
Hi

Whatever option you choose from your server (which you are accessing) needs
to have an open IP. Considering this you can actually use a free remoting
utility called VNC. But it can be used as one off need rather than more than
one user accessing siumultaneously. It does have its limitation but given the
fact its free..its heck of a tool..

Tempest

"eggman" wrote:

> [...]
> > >and we have users connecting from all over the country internally and
> over a
> > >VPN.  This keeps us from having to run around updating dictionaries
> > >everywhere and troubleshooting client problems.  We've also installed
> Office
> > >2003 on the terminal server so that the regular export to Word or Excel
> > >functions will still work.  You will want to turn off the logoff after X
> > >minutes functionality in the group profile to keep from improperly
> logging
> > >off users and stranding them if you're not running Great Plains 8.0.
> > >
> > >If you do install Office 2003 on the terminal server, make sure you use
> the
> > >Enterprise edition of Office 2003 since that's the only one that has
> > >complete functionality with a terminal server according to the

0
Tempest1 (11)
9/21/2004 3:49:09 PM
Lots of RAM for the "desktops" may be required by your bloated, resource hungry
Operating System, and its "free" remote application, but it is a common
misconception that it is required for remote operations!

The remote machine accessing the Terminal Server/Citrix Server, does nothing
more than receive screen updates and transmit keyboard and mouse inputs. All
other processing is done at the server and that is where the resources are
required. On the desk next to me, I have a PII 350 with Win 98SE, 64 Megs of
RAM, and a 56K modem running Great Plains v7.5 at a client's site via a Citrix
client. It is not much slower than actually sitting in their office using one of
their W2000 workstations and the performance is totally acceptable for typical
Great Plains operations such as report generation and data entry. Again, this is
because the remote client does NO PROCESSING.

Lyle

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:24:56 -0500, "eggman" <eatlotsof@spam.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> >and we have users connecting from all over the country internally and
>over a
>> >VPN.  This keeps us from having to run around updating dictionaries
>> >everywhere and troubleshooting client problems.  We've also installed
>Office
>> >2003 on the terminal server so that the regular export to Word or Excel
>> >functions will still work.  You will want to turn off the logoff after X
>> >minutes functionality in the group profile to keep from improperly
>logging
>> >off users and stranding them if you're not running Great Plains 8.0.
>> >
>> >If you do install Office 2003 on the terminal server, make sure you use
>the
>> >Enterprise edition of Office 2003 since that's the only one that has
>> >complete functionality with a terminal server according to the

I just checked the specs and we're running a dual 800 Mhz machine with one
gig of RAM.  We run about 10 concurrent users on average and I've never
noticed it getting slow.  The more users you add, the more RAM and
processing power you'll need on the terminal server.  As far as disk space,
it depends on how you are going to use it and where uses store their files.
We get by with a 9 gig for C drive and another 9 Gig for a D drive.

The SQL server has the same specifcations except when it comes to the disk
drives where we added a two 50Gb fiber array's.  One for live data, and the
second for full and transactional backups.

With the price of todays hardware, I would consider this to be a bit
underpowered for the cost.  We've been running this environment for about a
year and have been very happy with it.

As far as the clients, they can really be anything that can run the remote
desktop client although WindowsXP is highly recommended.  The only problems
I've heard of using Great Plains with a terminal client was from users who
were using Windows98 who were getting disconnected for some reason.

-Bill

"julietta carpentieri" <potato@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> What are the specs of the server you are running this on?
> How long have you had this up and running?
> I'd like to find out more information regarding this, as running to
> each machine like you pointed out below, is no fun.
> you can email me at the address below, and I will give you my work
> email. We will be upgrading to 8.0 early next year, and this sounds
> like an option I'd like to pursue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julie
>

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:38:21 -0500, "Bill"
> <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We run it on a Windows 2003 terminal server exclusively.  By exclusively
> >mean that we don't install the Great Plains client on any client machines
> >and we have users connecting from all over the country internally and
over a
> >VPN.  This keeps us from having to run around updating dictionaries
> >everywhere and troubleshooting client problems.  We've also installed
Office
> >2003 on the terminal server so that the regular export to Word or Excel
> >functions will still work.  You will want to turn off the logoff after X
> >minutes functionality in the group profile to keep from improperly
logging
> >off users and stranding them if you're not running Great Plains 8.0.
> >
> >If you do install Office 2003 on the terminal server, make sure you use
the
> >Enterprise edition of Office 2003 since that's the only one that has
> >complete functionality with a terminal server according to the
> >documentation.
> >
> >-Bill
> >
> >"julietta carpentieri" <potato@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> >> Does anyone work from home or on the road in Great Plains? If you do,
> >> what are you using. One of my bosses wants to be able to enter orders,
> >> look at financials, etc., on the road or from home. I think he thinks
> >> it's a toy. Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Right now we are on GP 6.0 (Pervasive SQL 2000) We will be upgrading
> >> to 7.0 in a month or so, then to GP 8 SQL early next year.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>

> >> Julie

0
Bill7393 (298)
9/22/2004 3:28:07 AM
If you mainly want to access info from the system, you might consider
Business Portal. At this point, you can't enter orders in BP, but you can
definitely set up some pages specifically for your boss to see financials
information, reports and even key performance indicators.

"julietta carpentieri" <potato@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone work from home or on the road in Great Plains? If you do,
> what are you using. One of my bosses wants to be able to enter orders,
> look at financials, etc., on the road or from home. I think he thinks
> it's a toy. Any suggestions?
>
> Right now we are on GP 6.0 (Pervasive SQL 2000) We will be upgrading
> to 7.0 in a month or so, then to GP 8 SQL early next year.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> Julie

0
cgust (108)
9/24/2004 5:39:14 PM
Thanks for the info, it's something to think about, but one criteria
is to enter in an order.

Julie

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:39:14 -0500, "Char Gust \(MSFT\)"
<cgust@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If you mainly want to access info from the system, you might consider
>Business Portal. At this point, you can't enter orders in BP, but you can
>definitely set up some pages specifically for your boss to see financials
>information, reports and even key performance indicators.

0
potato (23)
9/25/2004 3:19:51 PM
Thanks for all the information. This is something to think about. I'm
talking to all involve in the project about moving towards this. This
helps.

Thanks again,

Julie
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:28:07 -0500, "Bill"
<Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just checked the specs and we're running a dual 800 Mhz machine with one
>gig of RAM.  We run about 10 concurrent users on average and I've never
>noticed it getting slow.  The more users you add, the more RAM and
>processing power you'll need on the terminal server.  As far as disk space,
>it depends on how you are going to use it and where uses store their files.
>We get by with a 9 gig for C drive and another 9 Gig for a D drive.
>
>The SQL server has the same specifcations except when it comes to the disk
>drives where we added a two 50Gb fiber array's.  One for live data, and the
>second for full and transactional backups.
>
>With the price of todays hardware, I would consider this to be a bit
>underpowered for the cost.  We've been running this environment for about a
>year and have been very happy with it.
>
>As far as the clients, they can really be anything that can run the remote
>desktop client although WindowsXP is highly recommended.  The only problems
>I've heard of using Great Plains with a terminal client was from users who
>were using Windows98 who were getting disconnected for some reason.
>
>-Bill
>
>"julietta carpentieri" <potato@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> What are the specs of the server you are running this on?
>> How long have you had this up and running?
>> I'd like to find out more information regarding this, as running to
>> each machine like you pointed out below, is no fun.
>> you can email me at the address below, and I will give you my work
>> email. We will be upgrading to 8.0 early next year, and this sounds
>> like an option I'd like to pursue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Julie
>>

>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:38:21 -0500, "Bill"
>> <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >We run it on a Windows 2003 terminal server exclusively.  By exclusively
>> >mean that we don't install the Great Plains client on any client machines
>> >and we have users connecting from all over the country internally and
>over a
>> >VPN.  This keeps us from having to run around updating dictionaries
>> >everywhere and troubleshooting client problems.  We've also installed
>Office
>> >2003 on the terminal server so that the regular export to Word or Excel
>> >functions will still work.  You will want to turn off the logoff after X
>> >minutes functionality in the group profile to keep from improperly
>logging
>> >off users and stranding them if you're not running Great Plains 8.0.
>> >
>> >If you do install Office 2003 on the terminal server, make sure you use
>the
>> >Enterprise edition of Office 2003 since that's the only one that has
>> >complete functionality with a terminal server according to the
>> >documentation.
>> >
>> >-Bill
>> >
>> >"julietta carpentieri" <potato@newsguy.com> wrote in message

0
potato (23)

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Access

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Remote Server Question
Right customer wants to acces his win2k8 server remotely. IT is using a generic printer from the server. At the office the printer is on a network. Terminal Services are being used to access the server remotely. What needs to be done to get said printer working? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.facebook.com/dyadallee UK Time for a Common Sense change vote Liberal Democrat / Alliance Whether "at the o...

HTML to Plain Text ... NOT!
Somehow or another in MS Office Outlook 2007 (running on Vista Home Premium) I have managed to turn on a control/command the convert my HTML incoming email to Plain Text. It's the work of a second to right button it and specify "Display as HTML" but it seems so unneccessary to have to do that, more and more it seems. How do I get my received email to open in the same format as it was sent in, at least for HTML? Regards, Denzil. Tools-> Trust Center-> E-mail Security-> disable option: Read all standard mail in plain text -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coaut...

Outlook Web Access #19

Accounting with Ms Access

BP3 Site Settings access

Access Levels
Hi I am having real difficulty in getting the access levels to work as I want them. Basically I want to control access at the Business Unit level. However, how do I know which business unit a specific account record belongs to? As far as I can see it is determined by the owner of the record and their corresponding Business Unit. Is this correct? Thanks You are correct. The record is only tied to the BU through the owner. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 26 May 2004 06:51:29 -0700, l.hargrave@btinternet.com (Lee) wrote: Hi I ...

Access and Accessibility
Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? "Risikio" <Risikio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BF54007-6C65-444E-BC25-84C90173AE8F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing > accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? As far as I know, all the Windows accessibility features are available in Office. Speech recognition improves with each version. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://w...

Excel to Access
Hi group, quick question. If I have a macro to upload some Excel data into Access, can this macro be used by a user without Access installed on its PC???? The Access database is located in a shared drive, the Excel is stored in the user's PC. ....And same thing in the other way, can a user without Access import from Excel some Access info?? Versions are Excel 2003 and Access 2002. Thanks in advance, Cecilia Can you buy Excel without buying the entire Microsoft Office Suite? I'm not sure if there are variations in the way microsoft sells products in different countries s...

Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided CRecordset class
Hey Friends Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided CRecordset class. vikrant wrote: > Hey Friends > > Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided > CRecordset class. > > Yes. The CATALOG sample in MSDN shows how. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] vikrant, Yes... You can use access the system tables directly, especially using a CRecordset object connected to a Database object that is associated with the database in question and this SQL statement: SELECT Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE ( Flags=0) AND (Typ...

Different ways to extract data from Access to Excel
I have been using Access 2003 and 2007 to read and do simple data (not design) repairs to old Jet databases that underlie a legacy proprietary data collection program my company uses. My latest challenge is to automate the extraction of certain data from the tables and put it in an Excel spreadsheet. Each time the extraction is done it would involve finding a certain table, searching for a record that meets the new criteria in a certain field, then moving over to another certain field and extracting the text, number, or date therein. I would really appreciate if anyone could point out ...

Access 2007
How do you ungroup controls on an Access 2007 form? I can't figure it out. Thanks, Mike In form design view, select the controls that you want to ungroup, click on the "Arrange" tab above, then click on "Remove" (fourth button from the left in the Arrange toolbar) HTH -- _________ Sean Bailey "Mike" wrote: > How do you ungroup controls on an Access 2007 form? I can't figure it out. > > Thanks, > Mike Wow that was right under my nose and I was missing it. Thanks! "Beetle" wrote: > In form design view, select the con...