"**One or more line items contain warnings or error" - too generic

Hi!

I have a VAR who has a concern regarding the "generic"-ness of this
error:"**One or more line items contain warnings or error"  on any Edit List
in the Distributions Series.

If there is a way to make this more specific, it would be great. It's rather
weird why the system is not capable of erroring out in detail when there are
fields that contain error values.

My VAR’s concern is that why doesn’t GP give a very detailed error message
considering that it already has a repository of errors? We have the table
that contains the error code and somewhere in the code, it knows that
‘0x02000000’ has a meaning. To illustrate, in SOP10200, the field SOPLNERR is
being checked by GP to qualify that a line item is in error. Any value other
than '0x00000000' is an error. Upon verifying further through SDK, this error
means: "**ERROR: Item's site record does not exist.".

It would be nice if the edit list contains this detail and not just the
error message :"**One or more line items contain warnings or error".

Please advise.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=de46bc61-d5ae-49ea-ade0-8dd8d78f5092&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains

Usually the error is fairly obvious, like missing account numbers or lines on
the report in the detail area with error messages associated with the line.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Additional Fixed Assets reports" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a VAR who has a concern regarding the "generic"-ness of this
> error:"**One or more line items contain warnings or error"  on any Edit List
> in the Distributions Series.
>
> If there is a way to make this more specific, it would be great. It's rather
> weird why the system is not capable of erroring out in detail when there are
> fields that contain error values.
>
> My VAR’s concern is that why doesn’t GP give a very detailed error message
> considering that it already has a repository of errors? We have the table
> that contains the error code and somewhere in the code, it knows that
> ‘0x02000000’ has a meaning. To illustrate, in SOP10200, the field SOPLNERR is
> being checked by GP to qualify that a line item is in error. Any value other
> than '0x00000000' is an error. Upon verifying further through SDK, this error
> means: "**ERROR: Item's site record does not exist.".
>
> It would be nice if the edit list contains this detail and not just the
> error message :"**One or more line items contain warnings or error".
>
> Please advise.
>

> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=de46bc61-d5ae-49ea-ade0-8dd8d78f5092&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
info4071 (3004)
7/13/2007 10:14:00 PM
Hi!

Yes, you are correct on this. However, we already made sure that we have
accounts on the line item level. Allocations are correct. Inside, GP it was
not obvious to us.

It was only when we went into the SOP10200 that we were able to dig deeper
into what the error really is. Troubleshooting will take a lot of time for
"not very obvious" issues. Btw, the transaction is imported. If the system
tagged this imported trx in with an error value, it should have the
capability of telling it to us. I understand this would have to be a
customization. But we hope that this capability will get included in an SP or
Hotfix of some sort.

Thanks for this feedback!

"Richard L. Whaley" wrote:

> Usually the error is fairly obvious, like missing account numbers or lines on
> the report in the detail area with error messages associated with the line.
>

> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Additional Fixed Assets reports" wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a VAR who has a concern regarding the "generic"-ness of this
> > error:"**One or more line items contain warnings or error"  on any Edit List
> > in the Distributions Series.
> >
> > If there is a way to make this more specific, it would be great. It's rather
> > weird why the system is not capable of erroring out in detail when there are
> > fields that contain error values.
> >
> > My VAR’s concern is that why doesn’t GP give a very detailed error message
> > considering that it already has a repository of errors? We have the table
> > that contains the error code and somewhere in the code, it knows that
> > ‘0x02000000’ has a meaning. To illustrate, in SOP10200, the field SOPLNERR is
> > being checked by GP to qualify that a line item is in error. Any value other
> > than '0x00000000' is an error. Upon verifying further through SDK, this error
> > means: "**ERROR: Item's site record does not exist.".
> >
> > It would be nice if the edit list contains this detail and not just the
> > error message :"**One or more line items contain warnings or error".
> >
> > Please advise.
> >

> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=de46bc61-d5ae-49ea-ade0-8dd8d78f5092&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
The information is usually contained within the edit report, it can be
"highlighted" by amending the error message to be bold or a different font
or it can be pulled into other applications for easy location and
troubleshooting

<AdditionalFixedAssetsreports@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > being checked by GP to qualify that a line item is in error. Any value
>> > other
>> > than '0x00000000' is an error. Upon verifying further through SDK, this
>> > error
>> > means: "**ERROR: Item's site record does not exist.".
>> >
>> > It would be nice if the edit list contains this detail and not just the
>> > error message :"**One or more line items contain warnings or error".
>> >
>> > Please advise.

>> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> > "I
>> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> > this
>> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

gailr (88)