Write-Back Cache

Is anyone ot there using write-back cache on there ARRAY controllers.? Right
now I have an Exchange system using a HP MSA 1000 SAN  to house Exchange
Databases, stores, etc.

I have read in some books and some blogs that you should put write-back
cache at 100% on the array controller and there is a great perfromance gain?

Does anybody have anything to add? i.e. good idea, how much perfromance
increase, etc?

Thanks,

KJK
0
KJK (41)

Write-back cache should only be enabled if the array controller is battery-backed.  It should be a decent performance gain.  As I understand it, enabling write-back cache should allow the controller to commit the writes to it's own memory, then lazily write them to disk.

Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> Is anyone ot there using write-back cache on there ARRAY controllers.?
> Right  now I have an Exchange system using a HP MSA 1000 SAN  to house
> Exchange  Databases, stores, etc.
>
> I have read in some books and some blogs that you should put
> write-back  cache at 100% on the array controller and there is a great
> perfromance gain?
>
> Does anybody have anything to add? i.e. good idea, how much
> perfromance  increase, etc?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KJK

0
Ben

Is there a way for Windows Service to Read/Write HKCU Reg key ?
Hi: I'm writing a Windows Service program which needs to read/write the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key for the current logged on user. I know that for a Windows service does not have concept of HKCU since it is always running in SYSTEM's context. But is there a way (trick?) for a service to access the HKCU registry key? Thanks In Advance ! Polaris Hello Try, from a user application (the one that is logged on, or the current user), to send the services the user's SID. Then access the HKCU through HKEY_USERS\users_sid\............ Hope that helps, Elias "Polaris&qu...

Write
I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested to use the Write mode to do this. What is Write, and how do I access it? Are you using voice recognition? Margins are simply changed in the Arrange Menu in Publisher. Are you in the right newsgroup? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CBC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:183bb01c44a40$107bd5d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested > to use the Write mode to do this. W...

Backing up CCR Passive node with DPM (block level)?
Hello Please check the link from the technet forums I posted. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/fb88bed7-c024-4585-b58d-a8ef58176fc4 Suggested to check out the new threads instead. Basically there is an option in DPM to always choose the passive node in a CCR cluster. I've heard there is a problem though where a consistency check is required and it can transfer up to 90% of the data. Why is DPM doing a block level? Isnt it easier to just check the log files and the database files instead? I'm not an exper...

Writing formula for excel worksheet
Item Rate1 Rate2 Rate3 A 3 4 6 B 8 5 23 C 56 5 78 Above is my excel sheet. I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3) for Item B - Rate2(5) For Item C - Rate2 (5) There may be a neater way but this works. Somewhere in you sheet in a cell type =min(A1:a4), I used L1 Change this to watever range you are trying to evaluate. Then select this range and click format - conditional format - cell value - is equal to =($L$1) and apply your bold font. The lowest value in the range will then become bold. Mike "Gaur...

write protect/write redirect/kios mode
Hey, I LOVE snapshots in virtualmachines and think it would be awesome to have something like this for my main windows install. Anyone know of any hardware/software to redirect writes to another drive/file/memory/hardware? Or hardware to write protect a drive for kios's (i found some once befor the reverted all changes on shutdown, but cant find it anymore ><) I know VSS(virtual shadow copy service) has a function to redirect on write and wondering if i might be able to use that :/ It will just make everything cleaner, and give alot of flexiblity to setting up ...

Cannot write to memory location
I can not (all of the sudden) run Publisher in the last week. When starting to run it, I get that it cannot write to a certain memory locaiton, so it is shutting down. I need to get this program working. I have read through this forum and tried the different fixes as well as the knowledge base (emptied the temp file, disabled anti-virus, etc.) but it still won't work. An example is: "The instruction at "0x77f585c0" referenced memory at "0x00000000". the memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program." The header read...

how do i write checkbox to.....
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050607000103070200020407 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit how do i write checkbox1 boolean to xml in vb6 i can only do cstr( checkbox1.value) but in vb.net can't write to xml. i am doing irc chat similar to mirc or pirch chat. rw.WriteConfigInfo("User Modes", chkInvisible.Text, chkInvisible.Checked, "PirateChat.xml") in procedure events: ' Both the Key and the Value are filled ' Find the key ...

Write access to a LDAP server.
Is there any way to enable write access in Outlook to my LDAP server? The LDAP server allows this functionality, Outlook doesn't. Any plugins that can do this? Thanks. Derek ...

Writing a macro in Outlook 2007
Hello - I have been trying to create code in Outlook 2007 that will send an item to a specific printer. I realize there is no macro recorder in Outlook, and I am not a programmer, so I've been trying to manipulate code found on a Microsoft support page, without success. Does anyone know the code required to send an item to a specific printer, other than the default? Here is a sample of what I've found - it includes resetting the default printer: Sub MAIN 'Retrieve and set information about the current default printer Dim FPS As FilePrintSetup GetCurValues FPS ...

MULTI STORE ORDER WRITING-SIMPLIFY
Hi- We have 7 stores and need to simplify the order writing process. Is there any way to write POs for all of our stores without having to do each order separately? We would like for all orders to come up with the items we want to order, being able to change the quantities according to the store. Thank you in advance for your help. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0599_01C6CAFF.B4705610 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable J, Have you tried the 340 PO Planner worksheet? --=20 * Get Secure! - ...

how to write a formula
I have just taken over as manager of a boarding house and need to come up with some formulas to allow me to enter a dollar amount in cells c1:c12 and then have excel convert that to a day value( 1 day = 13.57) , it then needs to take the date in cells d1:d12 add the reultant conversion and place the result in cells e1:e12 as a date in real time ( 23/05/205). Also is it possible to get excell to print out a receipt for each entry that is made. I have never used excell and currently do it manually with Word which is hard and long In E1, just enter =D1+(C1/13.57), format as date and copy...

How to cache shared folders
Hi, I'm running Windows 7 and Office 2007 SP2. I'm using outlook to view multple accounts on an exchange server. One account is set up as a 'main' account, and the others are added as additional (shared) mailboxes. For some reason however, these are not cached. The performance of outlook is in these cases absolutelly horrable. Ill haveto wat multiple seconds to see the list of emails in a folder. Is there any way that I can use these shared folders and have the performance of any other 'non shared' folder? Kind regards, Arnoud Sietsema No, sha...

writing on an excel file
my employer emailed me an expense report and i downloaded excel. i can't seem to write on this document. is it because its a read only fiel? how do i convert it to be able to edit and write in my expenxes? HELP!!!!!! is it because it's read only ? - check with properties under explorer. either change it there, or save as a different name Steve On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 18:06:02 +0100, RITZ <RITZ@discussions.microsoft.com= > = wrote: > my employer emailed me an expense report and i downloaded excel. i can= 't = > seem > to write on this document. is it because i...

Write Error
We have four registers that we have been running for two years with RMS. Recently we started to use the 4th one again after a long time and everyother transaction activates a Write Error. None of the other registers have the problems including one that hasn't been used for the same amount of time as the fourth and there have been no significant changes to any computer besides microsoft updates for XP. Help Please -- Rich O''Boyle IT Tech Lundeens Liquors Are all registers on the same RMS version. ? What is the version # ? Have you upgraded to Service Pack 2 or 3 on all mac...

Putting PST files back on Outlook 2003
I had to wipe the computer due to a virus. Now, I need to put back the PST files hoping the 4,500 contacts & data are still in tact. How do I put them back in Outlook? I need step-by-step instructions! Copy the data files to Documents Folder first. http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm "Grey Goose" <greygoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23mpIZ8IOKHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I had to wipe the computer due to a virus. Now, I need to put back the PST >files hoping the 4,500 contacts & data are still in tact. How do ...

read only and write only
l would like to protect my work from other user not all but for the certain column.for example ; column A 1,A2 ,A3 ,B1 B2,B3 ,C1,C2.C3 and D1.D2 D3 are for write only.{ Column A23, A24,A25 ,B23,B24,B25 ,C23.C24,C25 and D23,D24,D25 ,all the data here are copy from above like A23 is data from Al , so is it any way that the other user can,t change any data here} thank you Select the cells you want your users to be able to alter (CTRL + Clck if they are not adjacent) and then:- Format|cells|protection and remove the locked checkmark. then Tools|Protection|protect sheet. User are now pr...

Outllok 2007 reminders keep coming back
I have run the /cleanreminders switch but they keep coming back. Any suggestions? John ...

writing area
I know that I can select an area: ex: A1 to b9. After selecting it is then possible to write and the marker will automatically move from a1 to b1 to c1 as you press enter (instead of moving down one and one row). However - I do not remember how I can mark the area for writing. Please help anyone!? Under Tools/Options/Edit, you can set the direction that the cell pointer moves. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:05:01 +0200, "Kathrine J Wathne" <kjwathne@start.no> wrote: >I know that I can select an area: ex: A1 to b9. After selecting it is then >possible to write and the ma...

novice trying to write formula
I'm trying to write a formula: If column D = K or any number 1 - 12 and K = A then L = NL ( or I could use the number 1) Please remember I'm a novice EXCEL user...and what little I know i self-taught. thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Mary It's somewhat difficult to follow what you're saying. Does "column D = K" mean "column D = column K" or is it "column D = the letter K"? And what does "K = A" mean? And what does "then L = NL ( or I could use the number 1)" mean? HTH Otto "mary...

View auto back-up files
Where does Windows stash the files that are automatically "backed-up"? There seems to be no trace in My documents Thanks Hi Philly! If you backup under the same name, that is what the backup is called. It doesn't so much backup as over-save. That's probably the main advantage of Jan's AutoSafe Addin. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "philly" <philandcheryl@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8B5AE05A-2944-4F0...

Write to Registry
How to write to registry from MFC 6.0? I want to change my settings for header and footer for IE 6 Regards, Mystique > I want to change my settings for header and footer for IE 6 How doing the above is related to writing to registry using MFC? You can use Reg* fucntions (eg RegOpenKey, RegCloseKey, RegQueryValue, RegSetValue etc) in Win32. MFC provides similar functionality for its framework. Take a look at GetProfileString, tProfileInt, WriteProfileInt etc. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com In addition to what Ajay wrote remember you can use AfxGetApp() to get at ...

Display differences Write-Host and Write-Warning
I'm new to PS, and a little embarrassed I can't find the answer to this on my own... I like to format text literals across multiple lines to manage the right margin of code text, but I'm having a problem with Write-Warning. There is apparently a significant difference in the way it handles its message text. Write-Host "Some literal text appended to" ` "some more text on the same line" Produces the desired output: Some literal text appended to some more text on the same line As you, PowerShellers, are aware, t...

Backing up PocketPC Money databases?
OK, well it seems all attempts to sync the Money on my Axim to the Money on my PC fail. But I need to back up my Money data on my Pocket PC (and just the Money data, not a full P'PC data backup,) so I can do a hard reset. The File Explorer on the Pocket PC won't let me do anything with the Money databases, like copy them to the PC or a SD card. Is there some way I can back up just the Money data? Thanks for any suggestions! Liam news@celticbear.com wrote: > OK, well it seems all attempts to sync the Money on my Axim to the > Money on my PC fail. But I need to back up my Mone...

writing equations for calculating dates
How does one write an equation to calculate weeks remaining prior to a set date? For example, if there are 16 weeks before a set date, how is the formula written to subtract today's date from the set future date of an event with the weeks remaining to appear in the cells? Hope this makes sense and that is a simple task. Let me know. If you have a future date of 9/1/04 in Cell A1, then use the following to determine the number of weeks remaining until that future date: =(A1-TODAY())/7 -- Michael J. Malinsky Pittsburgh, PA "I am a bear of very little brain, and long words ...

Raid 5 write back vs write through
I understand the different between Write Mode policies - write back vs write through but what is suggested for a Raid 5 that holds the DB and log files? I would not run logs on Raid 5. Much more preferable to run on Raid 1 and if you have the money Raid 10 for your dbs. Not many of us do so Raid 5 for your dbs should be fine as long as it is on a separate channel/controller. You should disable write back for integrity if nothing else. Nue "Fl" <Fl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98BF30F1-ADE7-47A7-BCAC-382B6364DE38@microsoft.com... >I understand the d...