Worst case scenario with a cluster

Hi,

We are a shop that tends to look after a large amount of smaller
scaled (~500 user) exchange servers.
We perform backups with a variety of methods, and have always had a
worst case scenario plan.  No matter what has happened with hardware,
we've always known we could drop a PC on its side and use last night's
backup to turn it into a temporary "server" (ableit, a very slow one)
while the real hardware is repaired.
I have asked this question in other forums so I need to make this
statement first.  Yes, the above IS possible, even though hardware is
totally different.  We test it regularly, not that we even need to as
a plague of hardware problems have led us to perform this with
production systems.

We have recently begun investigating clusters.  It does however cast
doubt on our fall back plan.  I know this should be far less likely
with a cluster, but consider cases such as the whole room going up in
flames, and the server needing to go back online that day.

If we recovered the base install, is there any ability to move the
exchange database out of the cluster managed resource, and onto a
local hard drive so it can be restored, even while the cluster
services are offline?
Can we convince the system that a single internal hard disk is a
shared resource and the cluster services should just start up and
assume the other node is ofline?
Any other way of doing this?

Assign Case Owner as Logical Owner of Account set in Case
Is this possible? Sounds simple enough but what im trying to do is when a case is created I want the workflow rule to auto assign the owner of the case to be the owner of the account (selected on the case form through lookup). Is this possible, the only thing workflow (i can find) to set owner to is a static not dynamic or logical... Help pls any help would be greatly appreciated, i do not want to have to write a workflow rule for every individual account... ...

Incident/Case Resolutions Report
What would be the easiest way to get hold of a report with all CASE-related information (Name, subject, etc.) with 2 additional fields: - Resolution Title: - Resolution Description (This info is being captured in the Resolution Activity in an incident currently and is not exposed in views, queries, etc.) TIA... Please keep your posts in ONE newsgroup!! "Janneman" <Janneman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E207C08B-F42F-4E39-8984-14D587B68AA3@microsoft.com... > What would be the easiest way to get hold of a report with all > CASE-related > in...

Tricky Scenario finding days/months/years! #2
I have tried both your solutions, i return a #VALUE! Error when place in both scenarios. Here is the method in which i set up the data. SMS SME Date Result Mon 29/12/2003 Sun 25/01/2004 01/03/04 =VLOOKUP((G5),2,2,(E5:F16)) Mon 26/01/2004 Sun 29/02/2004 Mon 01/03/2004 Sun 28/03/2004 =TEXT(G5,E5:F16) Mon 29/03/2004 Sun 25/04/2004 Mon 26/04/2004 Sun 30/05/2004 Mon 31/05/2004 Sun 27/06/2004 Mon 28/06/2004 Sun 25/07/2004 Mon 26/07/2004 Sun 29/08/2004 Mon 30/08/2004 Sun 26/09/2004 Mon 27/09/2004 Sun 31/10/2004 Mon 01/11/2...

Sending Closed Case Emails using workflow rule
For some reason when I create a workflow rule for manually sending an email when a case has been resolved, it does not send an email. I'm not quite sure what else needs to be done. I added a condition while creating the rule, which basically says when case status = "resolved", send email using template "closed case acknowledgment". However, when I go in to test it and apply the rule that I created and resolve the case, it does not send an email. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Thanks for the help. When you apply a manual rule it checks for the c...

Change font case in Excel
How do you change the font case in Excel? Hi what do you mean with this exactly? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "itsnikib" <itsnikib@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A33F5DB8-70EA-4C63-9801-328C5A030CDE@microsoft.com... > How do you change the font case in Excel? There is no Format>Change case option in Excel like there is in Word. You can change case using functions, tho. Check out the UPPER, PROPER, and LOWER functions. "itsnikib" wrote: > How do you change the font case in Excel? ...

reason field for reactivating cases
There should be a way to reactivate the case without clearing the billable time on the case (admin reactivation) and without cancelling the case resolution activity - a customer of ours resolves a case (from technical perspective), then billing department has to review the time spent and has to reopen the case to flag it as billed. Today the case resolution that the engineer provided is cancelled which is bad as it looks like the case was not adequately resolved on the first attempt whereas it had to be reopened for administrative reasons. Thanks, ---------------- This post is a sugge...

Tracking emails
When tracking emails to a Case, the lookup screen shows all cases, open, closed, etc. Is it possible to filter this list to show only open cases? Thanks, -Rick ...

Case sensitive password
I have a assigned a password format to a field in a table I've created. How can I make this field case sensitive? Thanks. -- Don Rountree Not easily. Realistically, Access isn't case-sensitive. If you're saying that you want to have a case-sensitive SELECT statement, you can use the StrComp function: SELECT Field1, Field2 FROM MyTable WHERE StrComp(Password, "MiXeDCaSe") = 0 -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FE3CE63-0CF5-4C88-BC2...

Cases containing activitys
Hi all, My situation, All cases are containers for activitys (Or so i think) These activitys, how do i place a date and time stamp in these activitys? Thanks in advance Jefferson Activities are automatically marked with the date/time they are created and also when they are modified. The unfortunate thing is that CRM does not show you these dates/times by default when you view activities associated with an object. However, you can add these columns with an undocumented customization. You will want to change the associated view for activities. You can do this (if you have CRM admin privi...

Formula for Cases=144 * # of Cases + Pieces
I'm trying to find a formula for inventory but the # of Cases & the # of Pieces are different for each product Based on your subject line, if the number of cases was in A1, and the number of pieces in A2, the formula would be: =a1*144+a2 If this isn't what you are looking for post back with more information. Regards, Fred "Inventory Formula" <Inventory Formula@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6E9A894-4D03-4256-9AA8-0A459AE78E40@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to find a formula for inventory but the # of Cases & the # of ...

Equation Editor Case Sensitive Filesystem
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi all, In my work place we use case sensitive filesystem in all our macs, therefor, was a big surprise when we find out that the Equation Editor is not working in almost 100% of our macs.. the reason seems to be some mistakes with capitals/lower cases .. Dyld Error Message: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/merp.framework/Versions/12/merp Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/Equation Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/Equation Editor Reason: image not found Somebody said: "the solution was...

please help, a complex migration/upgrade scenario
Hi there I am in need of urgent help on this one. We have one NT server as PDC. We have a second NT server, a member server and it hosts the exchange 5.5 for emails. Now we need to upgrade the environment to 2003, i.e. Windows 2003 server and Exchange 2003.. We need to upgrade to only one windows 2003 and also host the exchange 2003 on the same server. Also, we need to keep the old NT server for a while and we can take exchange 5.5 off once exchange is migrated. I am not sure of the route that I need to take. I know the swing method for the windows 2003 upgrade, where in my case, I would ...

Countif with upper and lower case
I have a range of cells in a column, each cell only contains one letter. I am trying to do a countif to determine how many instances of the particular letter occur but I need to differentiate between upper case and lower case letters. I had hoped this would work, =COUNTIF (C2:C383,UPPER("S")) but it doesn't - it still counts the lower case characters too :-( I did wonder about using the CODE function to establish the value of eah character, but it starts to get busy... Any suggestions please? Hi Try using the EXACT function. -- Andy. "Dave Davis" <a...

Scenario tool for What if Analysis
Hi I was going over the "Scenarios" tool in my excel book. It goes through an example that envolves hourly labor cost and material cost and their effect on Profits. Scenarios are based on the different Hourly and Labor costs. Output is the profit. My quetion is why it is necessary to use the "scenarios" tool and why can't you just create a formula that derives the "Profits" from hourly and labor costs. What type of tasks is the scenarios tool used for and do you think it is a time saver? ...

DST
we have AD 2003 network. two windows 2003 servers (one is running exchange 2003 SP2), two windows 2000 SP4 servers. Our clients are probably 80% XP Pro, but we probably have 10 to 15 windows 98 PCs with outlook 2000. we have read and are planning on doing the software updates on the 2003 servers and the XP clients in he proper order, but we simply do not have the budget to purchase the support for the two windows 2000 servers, so it appears our only option is to do the registry hack using tzedit.exe. my question is this: rather than do the registry hack on the windows 2000 servers,...

Backup worst case scenario
Hi all, I have a customer that has a backup problem that keeps the log files from being flushed into the database. And they have deleted some of the logfiles without understanding fully what this meens. To me it meens that if I fix theire backup problem the logs are flushed and the database will be corrupted in some way. Is this corect? Would it be a solution to move all mailboxes to a new storage group and then fix the backup problem? thanks Magnus ...

is it possible to build a chart with clustered stacked columns ?
is it possible to build a chart with clustered stacked columns ? If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns. Bernard Liengme has an example and instructions on his site: http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm and Jon Peltier has links to other sites with information: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Fabio Battagion wrote: > is it possible to build a chart with clustered stacked columns ? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Apply Select Case To All Records
Hi Groupies I have never used the Select Case statement before and am having a little trouble. I have the Select Case code attached to a command button on a form. When I push the button, the code runs for the selected record only. How do I make it run for all of the records in the recordset? Here is some of the code: Private Sub cmdAutoFlight_Click() Dim Rank As Integer, Flight As String, Saturday_Tee_Time As Date Select Case Rank Case Is <= 16 Me.Flight = "Championship" Me.Saturday_Tee_Time = "1:00:00 PM" Case Is <= 32 Me.Flight...

Combined Clustered and Stacked Chart
Is it possible to have a clustered column chart but have the columns stacked. I am comparing FY04 FY05 and FY06, looking at three sets of data which I want to stack. Take a look at Jon Peltier's example here: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html "Alison" wrote: > Is it possible to have a clustered column chart but have the columns stacked. > I am comparing FY04 FY05 and FY06, looking at three sets of data which I > want to stack. ...

Changing Case
Hi all. Probably very basic - How do i convert the case something is writte in. I.e. changing 'this' to 'THIS' On a spreadsheet? Many thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com with this in A1, here is one way, put =UPPER(A1) in another cell -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "digitallifeform >" <<digitallifeform.1a...

Upper Case Vs: Lower case
Each month I receive a spreadsheet approx 3000 lines long. A column is the "city" name. It downloads all different ways. Some all CAPS some case sensitive some all lower case. Each month I correct each city manually typing it correctly. Is there a way I can highlight the column and do this all at once, so fror example it would convert to San Francisco? This is taking much to long the manual way. Thanks for any tips or help. check out the proper() function in help "Bill Carpenter" wrote: > Each month I receive a spreadsheet approx 3000 lines long. A colum...

Coverage Date Contracts turn into Number of Cases
Using CRM 3.0 Release version If I goto Service/Accounts and select and Account, open the account entity and goto contracts, then create a contract fill in the required information and goto the second tab where I select my contract template, I select a contract template that is defined to use Coverage Dates. I save the contract and the allotment type changes to number of cases. If I goto Service/Contracts and create a new contract, I get a choose list for the template, I pick THE SAME TEMPLATE as above, fill in the required details on the first page and press save. The contract corre...

How do I change from all caps to proper case?
I purchased a rather large list that is in all caps (in .txt format). Is there a function that will allow Excel (or any other Office product) to automatically change the names to proper case? I will need to save the results back in .txt format to import into a contact management program. take a look here: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#proper In article <50E13903-CB21-4B2E-A3B1-EBEE5FFF2F17@microsoft.com>, "Tom III" <Tom III@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I purchased a rather large list that is in all caps (in .txt format). Is >...

Tracking time spent on a case including appointments
We came accross an interesting issue recently. When resolving a case the time appeared to be calculated incorrectly if there had been any appointments used during the case. After some further investigation, it became apparent that the total time displayed in the Case REolution dialogue box is the total of the Actual Duration fields from linked activities. The appointment duration is a different field to the Actual Duration, and the Actual Duration is not shown on the default form. The fix is easy - once the problem has been tracked down - add the Actual Duration field to the Appointm...

Find a Case by ID
I know this seems simple but how the heck can you find a case by ID. As a manager I dont know details. I have staff coming to me with case numbers from CRM. Using the Advanced find window seems like the wrong way to do it but I cant seem to find any other way. The Find Cases box at the top wont work. Is this really a result of poor design or just something I can find? unfortunately, the advanced find is the only way to find by case #. alternatively, you can always sort the case grid by the case # column and find it quickly. The Find Cases box actually seraches the Title of the cas...