Windows firewall on Exchange 2003 Server

Hi,

I have Exchange 2003 (AD integrated) and would like to use the Windows 2003
built-in firewall. What ports do I need to open up? OWA is being used as
well. I found the following article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278339
but am confused on what to open. Below is an example:

Protocol: LDAP
Port (TCP/UDP): 389 (TCP)

Do I open both TCP and UDP or just TCP since it specifies that next to the
por number.

Thanks
0
Bishop (19)

Here's an article to assist. Try the Security Configuration Wizard (SCW).

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Protecting-Exchange-2003-Windows-Firewall.html

"bishop" <bishop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have Exchange 2003 (AD integrated) and would like to use the Windows
> 2003
> built-in firewall. What ports do I need to open up? OWA is being used as
> well. I found the following article
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278339
> but am confused on what to open. Below is an example:
>
> Protocol: LDAP
> Port (TCP/UDP): 389 (TCP)
>
> Do I open both TCP and UDP or just TCP since it specifies that next to the
> por number.
>
> Thanks

0
exchange.mvp (559)
2/2/2006 8:42:51 AM
http://www.petri.co.il/ports_used_by_exchange.htm

Nue
"Andrew Sword [MVP]" <exchange.mvp@nos.optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> Here's an article to assist. Try the Security Configuration Wizard (SCW).
>
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Protecting-Exchange-2003-Windows-Firewall.html
>

> "bishop" <bishop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Exchange 2003 (AD integrated) and would like to use the Windows
>> 2003
>> built-in firewall. What ports do I need to open up? OWA is being used as
>> well. I found the following article
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278339
>> but am confused on what to open. Below is an example:
>>
>> Protocol: LDAP
>> Port (TCP/UDP): 389 (TCP)
>>
>> Do I open both TCP and UDP or just TCP since it specifies that next to
>> the
>> por number.
>>
>> Thanks

0
imaneophyte (3005)

exchange 2007 #6
I am told you can set up catchall mailboxes using the hub transport rules at the organization level. However, I can't seem to get it to work. Anyone have any specific guidance on this ? Thanks. Ben EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Outlook 2003 Outbox #5
I compose and immediately send Outlook 2003 email messages. Every newly sent message also redundantly goes into the Outbox, forcing me to periodically go there and delete those messages. How can I compose and send emails without a copy going into Outbox? "gatordawg" <james.butts@oracle.com> wrote in message news:1171819936.194411.7800@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... >I compose and immediately send Outlook 2003 email messages. Every > newly sent message also redundantly goes into the Outbox, forcing me > to periodically go there and delete those messages. How can I c...

OWA Issues on Macs With New Server
We recently replaced our Exchange server with an upgraded, new one. We went from Windows 2000 server to Windows 2003 Server for the OS, but Exchange has always been 2003. Outlook on PCs and Entourage on Macs work fine. OWA on PCs works fine. However, when users login to OWA on Macs (And, they can login to it fine...) the following two things happen: 1.) They have to click on everything twice (not a double click but two single clicks) for it to open. If just one click, it will go about 10-15 minutes and then open, but 2 clicks makes whatever it is open right away. (For anything, ...

MMC error on opening exchange system manager
I get an error when opening: MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC. then I click to report or continue, if continue it opens up but you cant get into anything, in the right bigger window it says MMC could not create snap-in. The snap-in might have not been installed correctly. Name: Exchange System CLSID: 1b600aea-10ba-11d2-9f28-00c04fa37610 It has been working for a month fine, HELP! ...

PLEASE HELP: Outlook 2003 very slow accessing Exchange 5.5SP4 on NT4SP6a
Hi I'm having the same problem as posted to microsoft.public.exchange.admin by Mike T on Sept 2, 04. Exchange 5.5SP4 on NT4SP6a. Outlook97/2000 users don't seem to have slow down issues. But Outlook XP and Outlook 2003 users get a pop-up notification that "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Server". Seems to be more prevalent when the message is html, or has an attachment. All Outlook 2003 users have SP1 applied. Thanks ...

outlook 2003 automatic send receive does not receive all emails
I have 80 users using outlook 2003 with windows XP. When the user press the send/receive button stacks on "send/receive status ##%". Even at sending... Sometimes the outlook completes the send/receive and the user doesn't receive all the emails. If I go on OWA there are new emails that the user didn\t download even though the send/receive is complete. to resolve for the moment the problem, the users have to close the outlook, open it again and then either automatic send/receive or manually they receive the new emails. I checked all windows and office upd...

reinstalling windows

how to archive all incoming/outgoing emails on exchange 2003
We recently upgraded from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. On exchange 5.5, we used to archive all incoming and outgoing mails (using the diagnostic log I think). How can I do the same thing under exchange 2003? For those who is curious, it's a standard corporate policy to archive incoming/outgoing mails. Thanks. look at journaling: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261173/en-us http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843105/en-us -- Susan Conkey [MVP] <nobigworld@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1138052738.764679.83220@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > We recently upgraded from e...

Problems with creating a budget in 2003
I have set up my annual Bills and Deposits on the MANAGE SCHEDULED BILLS AND DEPOSITS screen. Now, when I go to create a budget Money automaticlly recoginizes the bills and deposits that I have set and puts them into my budget along with a dollar amount which is great. However, once I am done creating the rest of my budget and Money shows me the overview of what I spent compared to what I budgeted, it shows that I had NO money budgeted for the bills that were automaticlly transferred in from the SCHEDULED BILLS AND DEPOSITS screen even though when I was designing the budget it had ...

Windows live mail

Exchange Error on Send/Received
Hi, I'm running MS Exchange Server 2003 with SP2, on client when I pressed send received button its shows following error under "Errors" Tab. Task "Microsoft Exchange Server" reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation faild. An object could not be found.' Clients are able to send and received e-mail properly but GAL are also not populated completely only default GAL displayed. Please let me know how can I resolve this issue Naseem ...

Windows Vista

open windows

Outlook 2003 and VPN
We are connecting to an Exchange 2003 server on a Win 2K server with Outlook 2003 clients. I want to set up outlook to automatically connect to a VPN when they open Outlook. Right now are remote users have to connect to their ISP, Connect to VPN, open Outlook. I would like them to be able to just connect to there isp and than open Outlook and have Outlook extablish the VPN. Thanks ...

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Can't install Exchange System Manager 2003..
Hi, The OS is Windows Server 2003 SP1 (only 1 partition, the free disk space is only 8 GB) and actually what I'm trying to do is to have a mailbox for a user from Domain B but the Exchange 2003 is in Domain A. Domain A (domainA.hq.com) and B (domainB.hq.com) are under one forest. I have checked some of the emails that were sent to this newsgroup and they suggested that I just need to install the Exchange System Manager on Domain B but I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard (Exchange 2003 Std Edt CD). I'm stuck ...

CRM 1.2 on SBS 2003: External Error. No Such Object on Server
Users cannot get to CRM via WEB. They would get error box: No Such Object on Server. I got this from Event Viewer: MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: There is no such object on the server. Error Message: There is no such object on the server. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not available Line Number: Not available Stack Trace Info: at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Deploying Exchange 2010 on 2000 AD
Hello: I currently have a 2000 AD network. I need to deploy Exchange 2010 as soon as I can. With my 2000 AD this is not possible. Due to my need to deploy quickly I was thinking I could do the following: 1. Deploy a 2008 AD 2. Create a trust relationshipe between the 2000 & 2008 domains 3. Deploy Exchange 2010 on the 2008 domain 4. Migrate mailboxes from the Exchange server on the 2000 domain to the new 2010 Exchange server. Is this possible? If so does anyone know of any TechNet docs on it? Thanks Harrison ...

MS Exchange and failed relay for secondary domain
I need to add a second domain set of e-mail addresses to our Exchange server. I have updated all MX records as required on the domain and added the second domain to the default recipient policy on the server. When trying to send an e-mail from outside our organization to the new address I receive: Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for newuseraddress@newdomain.com Remote-MTA: 192.168.8.17 When I telnet to the mailserver and use helo to try to send to the new address I receive: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for newuseraddress@newdomain.com The checkbox is checked in the defau...

Windows recovery console