Win2000 DC / Exchange 2000 box Migrate to New SBS2003/Exchange2003

I have inherited a client who currently has a Windows 2000 Domain controller
with Exchange 2000 installed on it.  This is a very small network with 4 main
users.  The mailboxes are quite large.  We have purchased a new SBS 2003
machine with Exchange 2003 on it.  I want to migrate to the new machine, but
every site seems to give a different answer.  Some say I can't do it.  Some
suggest the Swing method ( I do have another SBS 2003 server I can use).  The
more I read, the more confused I become.  I've set up several "new" exchange
servers, but never had to migrate old data.  All that really needs to be
preserved is the users email, contacts and calendar.  The methods which might
apply are:  1. Swing method (dont' think it works on domain controller
though)   2.  EXMERGE.exe (need more details...don't think it works on
exchange 2k)

I can either use the same name or use a different name on the new server,
but would like a concrete method before digging into it.  The work is for a
law firm and while the server can be down for a few hours if necessary, I
have to be assured that the data will be preserved.  Any suggestions?

Hi I have done migrations like this before and it was a cinch. I  saved
Each users mailbox into a PST file and also saved the public folders
and calendars into a PST file. Then I imported each users inbox and
contacts into their new outlook clients and finally for the Public
Folders I imported the PST file to an outlook client and then moved it
into the corresponding Public Folder Store on the new server. There was
almost no downtime. If the mailboxes are large, remember to disable
size limits on the information store befor importing the PSt files. I
have done this several times when migrating small number of users and
has been very easy.

Miguel

JasonSales wrote:
> I have inherited a client who currently has a Windows 2000 Domain controller
> with Exchange 2000 installed on it.  This is a very small network with 4 main
> users.  The mailboxes are quite large.  We have purchased a new SBS 2003
> machine with Exchange 2003 on it.  I want to migrate to the new machine, but
> every site seems to give a different answer.  Some say I can't do it.  Some
> suggest the Swing method ( I do have another SBS 2003 server I can use).  The
> more I read, the more confused I become.  I've set up several "new" exchange
> servers, but never had to migrate old data.  All that really needs to be
> preserved is the users email, contacts and calendar.  The methods which might
> apply are:  1. Swing method (dont' think it works on domain controller
> though)   2.  EXMERGE.exe (need more details...don't think it works on
> exchange 2k)
>
> I can either use the same name or use a different name on the new server,
> but would like a concrete method before digging into it.  The work is for a
> law firm and while the server can be down for a few hours if necessary, I
> have to be assured that the data will be preserved.  Any suggestions?

Jason-

Is it a big deal if the passwords get reset? If so grab a copy of exmerge,
export the users to PSTs, recreate them manually on the new system, and
import the PSTs. Use the http://yourserver/connectcomputer wizard to join
the 4 PCs to the domain.

If you can't lose the passwords, you can use ADMT. You need to make sure
that the target is in native mode, and add anonymous logon and everyone to
the pre-windows 2000 compatibile access group on the new server. Then you
can runas admt in the context of a user in the source domain on the target
and things will work.

--
Thanks,
Brian Desmond

www.briandesmond.com

"JasonSales" <JasonSales@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have inherited a client who currently has a Windows 2000 Domain
>controller
> with Exchange 2000 installed on it.  This is a very small network with 4
> main
> users.  The mailboxes are quite large.  We have purchased a new SBS 2003
> machine with Exchange 2003 on it.  I want to migrate to the new machine,
> but
> every site seems to give a different answer.  Some say I can't do it.
> Some
> suggest the Swing method ( I do have another SBS 2003 server I can use).
> The
> more I read, the more confused I become.  I've set up several "new"
> exchange
> servers, but never had to migrate old data.  All that really needs to be
> preserved is the users email, contacts and calendar.  The methods which
> might
> apply are:  1. Swing method (dont' think it works on domain controller
> though)   2.  EXMERGE.exe (need more details...don't think it works on
> exchange 2k)
>
> I can either use the same name or use a different name on the new server,
> but would like a concrete method before digging into it.  The work is for
> law firm and while the server can be down for a few hours if necessary, I
> have to be assured that the data will be preserved.  Any suggestions?

0
brian8226 (79)

Populate text boxes from a list box
Hi, I have a form with text and combo boxes where user enters data. After saving, a list box in another form is being populated, and all that works just fine. What i wanted to do next is to enable users to open one set of data from the list box (one row of data) in that form with text and combo boxes. I tried and tried but either i manage to open that form in add mode where all fields are blank, or i manage to open the form with data from the list box, but always positioned on the first data in the list box. I have been trying for a while so it could be possible that i am missing...

Constant Outlook crash after Exchange 5.5 to 2K3 migration
We are an Exchange 5.5 shop (gasp!) and we have finally begun our migration to Exchange 2003. I was able to build our first 2K3 server, and have it joined successfully into our 5.5 environment. The ADC is up and running and is transferring data back and forth as I expect it to. Unfortunately I still have some lingering issues, one of which is a complete showstopper. This main problem is that both of the accounts I have moved from a 5.5 server to the 2003 server have *constant* crashes in Outlook 2003. All I have to do is change to another folder, and at least 60% of the time I will get a...

combo box and subform help
In my subform for each seperate order, I want to beable to select a descripton name from the combo box. When the description name is selected, the price associated with that name should come up in the subform. I have tried to put the combo box in the table for description and make a query but, the information associated with the description name will not come up. Create the combo box cboItem with the RowSource something like: SELECT tblItem.ItemKey, tblItem.ItemDescription, tblItem.SellPrice FROM tblItem; Set the number of columns to 3 Set the column widths to 0;2;0 or something e...

CRM3.0 needs to support single Exchange 2007
Microsoft CRM needs to support Exchange 2007 without the need to have an Exchange 2000/2003 server deployed. It is not acceptable for customers to wait and be expected to wait to CRm4.0 is released then upgrade to this CRM version. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the me...

Migration Wizard in Exchange 2003
Hello, I am migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 using the Inter-Organization Migration Method utilizing the Migration Wizard. I understand that the Migration Wizard migrates the Exchange Directory and Mailbox Data to Exchange 2003. How can I prevent it from migration the directory and migrate only the mailbox data (just like exmerge)? What I am noticing, the migrated user ends up with several e-mail address of various type which is coming from 5.5. I don't want that junk in my new Exchange 2003 environment specially when they are worthless because they don't exist. When I cre...

Migrating all email / folders / address book from Outlook Express
I am have been using Outlook Express for many years on what is now a Windows XP computer. Now I have a new laptop with XP and Office XP with Outlook 2003. I want to migrate ALL of my Outlook Express email - preserving headers, dates, attachments, folder structure, address book, etc. to Outlook 2002/XP. What is the best way to do this? It is very important that I not lose any existing email message, attachments, headers, etc. I couldn't find any useful info in the KB.. seems like there should be a lot of help with this, assuming MS really wants me to move from express to regular outlook ...

Real quick: AddItem with combo boxes?
I'm brand new to VBA, literally picked up on it a couple minutes ago, it's great so far, but I've ran into confusement. I have a combo box on the spreadsheet, how do I add items to it? (not by cell values I mean), this is what I tried: Code: -------------------- Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() dropHomeTeam.AddItem = "Minnesota Vikings" End Sub -------------------- Thanks -- AVERAGE(user) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ AVERAGE(user)'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

Exchange 2007/spam/windows mobile
I have just installed Exchange Server 2007 and have moved a couple of mailboxes over to it for testing. I am using the Anti-spam built into EX2007. When a mailbox receives spam, it goes to the Junk Mail folder in Outlook, but it is hitting the Inbox first. I have a Windows Mobile device setup to sync to the Inbox (I checked to make sure that the Junk Email folder is not selected and it is not). I have 2 different problems, but I believe they both are related. The first... when the spam message hit my mailbox, they are first hitting my inbox real quick and then being moved the Junk ...

Non taxable exchange of mutual funds
What is the preferred manner of making and accounting for the non taxable exchange of mutual funds in ms money? In microsoft.public.money, Fred Kennedy wrote: >What is the preferred manner of making and accounting for the non taxable >exchange of mutual funds in ms money? > Handling a Mutual Fund Reorg or conversion from B to A shares. If your mutual fund is involved in a tax-free reorganization, your "B" shares are being converted to [fewer generally] "A" shares, or a merger where you don't originally hold both funds: 1. Do an appropriate split of the...

Exchange SMTP forwarding
Hi, I would like to know how to configure an exchange server to forward all non local mail to another SMTP server using authentication. Thanks, David =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgR3JlZW5l?= <DavidGreene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:DE97CE9E-2B5D-44BA-A368-CFEC11170D39@microsoft.com: > Hi, I would like to know how to configure an exchange server to > forward all non local mail to another SMTP server using > authentication. Which version of Exchange are you using? I'm sure we can point you to a tutorial ;) Regards, -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ: http://www.excha...

Outlook 2000 E-mail sluggish
My Outlook 2000 e-mail is very slow to open rceived new e- mails or to open the "new" e-mail screen. It takes approx. 2 min. then opens the e-mail or the new e-mail window. I have Office 2000 Premium Edition and Windows 98. I had SP1 installed and it was working fine. I have since installed SP3 without correcting problem. I have used the Detect & Repair without correcting problem. Did a necessary file(s) go missing? Any suggestions?? Using the Detect and Repair I received an Error 1328 C:\CONFIG.MSi\PTC2E3.TMP AND C:\CONFIG.MSi\PT2321.TMP could not be updated...is this...

Antigen on Exchange
This question is for the Antigen users. I am new with the software and I am just using the trial right now? Do a lot of you like the software? I am kind of confused by it's Incidents and Quarantine reports. I get that it found them, and I know that Antigen is setup to clean, but it doesn't let me know if it was able to clean them or not. I want to make sure that these viruses and SPAM e-mail messages are being removed. I added more words to the filters, but all it does is notify me that they have come through. It doesn't actually block them. I think the same goes for the vir...

Public folder Exchange 2003 #2
When I trying to set client permission on public folder I get the following message: Unable to create the required MAPI profile. Please verify that you have sufficient permissions to write to the MAPISVC.INF file. c103073a I have migrated from Exchange server 2000, but I still have the old server running. It doesn’t seem to be a problem with public folders created before Exchange 2003 server, just the new ones. Regards Per Per <Per@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I trying to set client permission on public folder I get the following >message: > >Unable to...

Outlook 2000-Open Note on top of all desktoplike a Post-It
I can't figure it out. I am a very, very technically challenged user and find that the NOTE works great, but I can't use it like a sticky note and make it stay on top. Is this easily do-able? Thanks for your time. I find the free version of this much more suited to desktop display: http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/ --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Hello_It's_Me-C...

Exchange 2003 doesnt send email while logged on
When im logged onto the server using RDP or from the server console itself all of my SMTP outbound smtp emails are queued. Once I log off the server everything works correctly. The accounts im using to log on are the domain admins accounts and even the local admin account, neither works. I tried running domainprep and forestprep while logged on as domain admin but that didn't resolve the issue. Any ideas?? On 8 May 2006 07:53:00 -0700, Bbruce2k5@gmail.com wrote: >When im logged onto the server using RDP or from the server console >itself all of my SMTP outbound smtp emails a...

Changing Outlook from Exchange Services to IMO version
How can you reinstall Office 2000 and change the Outlook "type" from using Exchange/Internet Mail to Internet Mail Only (IMO)? I uninstalled my version of Office2000 and reinstalled it from my CD. However it doesn't give me the option to install the IMO version of Outlook. It installed the Exchange/Internet Mail automatically. Without an exchange server the checking of email is dog-slow. Thanks, Alex Moylen Hi, Alex. Alex Moylen ha scritto: > How can you reinstall Office 2000 and change the Outlook > "type" from using Exchange/Internet Mail to Internet Mail ...

outlook 2000 changing msg class using utility?
Hi- this message is in 3 parts DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT I work for a small nonprofit group for pastors and outreach organization leaders who meet once monthly as well as have an annual "love your city" churches responding to neibourhood needs (free pop/ bbqs/ repair roofs/ clean up yards) event......so need distribution centers for promo items, ect ... comprehensive new form I have permission from our Tech person to change all our contacts to this form..... we'v backed up the hard-drive to cds, saved existing format of contacts to excell files so OBJECTIVES..KEEPING ...

New WLM version ?
I ran into this link : Windows Live Mail - Microsoft Download Center. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=56883de5-2024-4631-806e-757693072a1c&displaylang=en The version says : 14.0.8092.0805 Is that a new version ? Mine is 14.0.8089.0726, and I thought it was the current version. Thank you. t-4-2 My version is 14.0.8117.0416 -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail "t-4-2" <t42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63DDA24B-BC83-4488-8D07-B062FA77C883@microsoft.com... >...

The new member could not be added
Hi, I could find an answer to this for Outlook 2002 but not for Outlook 2003. Is the answer the same? We are using SBS 2003. The error is: "The distribution list has reached the maximum size for your network e-mail server. The new member could not be added." List was at 132 members. there is a limit on the number of entries that can be added to a personal distribution list...I've heard different numbers...but 130 is close...only way around this is to "nest" distribution groups, or create the group in AD so it's in the GAL... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Pa...

Pocket PC - Money 2004
Hello, My hard-drive crashed on my computer and I had to install a new one. The only workable backup file I have for my Microsoft Money is on my Pocket PC. Is there a way for me to use the file on my Pocket PC on my new computer? I tried http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/276.aspx and it's not working. Maybe that tutorial was designed for a newer version of Microsoft Money? JJ The readme, which the article is based on, has been around for a while. In any case, the data on your client will almost surely be incomplete. -- Michael Gordon MVP "JJ" <JJ@discussions.mic...

Adding and removing Exchange 2003 Servers
I currently have 1 front end exchange server and 4 back end exchange servers. I am adding 2 larger backend servers. I want to migrate the first for server mailboxes to the 2 lager servers and then remove the first 4 server from my exchange env. Since my front end server is staying in place, and I add the two new server in before i remove the others should I have SMTP routing issues when I remove the first four back end servers. Can anyone suggest the best way to to what I am about to do, am I on the right track. Thanks, Mike I just wanted to add. The current front end server is EX20...

2 Exchange Servers in the Same Domain
Microsoft Outlook SignatureHi, Please help as I'm new to Exchange.... I have 2 Windows 2003 Servers both with Exchange 2003 installed in the same domain, @ two different physical locations connected via a gateway to gateway VPN. If I have user on Server A, he can create a email in the gobal address list and send it without error to a user on Server B but it never arrives @ the server B's inbox? Is there a way to track it? K.J.B. You can enable message tracking... http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/The_Exchange_Message_Tracking_Center_or_How_to_Save_Your_A_in_a_Pinch.html CA...

OWA 5.5 with Exchange 2003 Backend
Does anyone know if OWA 5.5 (Only OWA components installed) will access Exchange 2003 backend mailboxes? Does an Exchange 5.5 server need to be running in the site? Any insight would be helpful TIA! "Scott" <swilliams@internosis.com> wrote in message news:OVyMlHGjEHA.1904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if OWA 5.5 (Only OWA components installed) will access > Exchange 2003 backend mailboxes? Does an Exchange 5.5 server need to be > running in the site? > > Any insight would be helpful > > TIA! You might try this; it's for E2K, but I t...

Form Validation using multiple Yes/No boxes
I have created a form which contains multiple Yes/No boxes. I wish to store the value of the records (both selected and not selected) in two separate tables. The "Yes" value records will be stored in my "Closed" table and the "No" value records will be stored in the "Open" table. I created a button which will open a pop-up dialog box for the user to enter a comment. I tried adding the code below to that button, but it only stores the first No (open) and the first Yes (closed) records. How can I have it loop through all the records on the screen...

Remote Access or shared LAN access of Outlook without using Exchange Server ????
Currently I am accessing my desktop computer's installation of Outlook through Remote Desktop, from my laptop. I can do this while on the same LAN or remotely, through the internet. This however is not really ideal, as I run my desktop at QXGA resolution and my laptop has only a XGA screen. This means that when I get back home, all the windows on my desktop are all messed up and really small. What I would really like to do is be able to access remotely, in either one of the ways you can do using Exchange Server. I have a separate server machine (running Windows Server 2003 Stand...