Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ?

Hi,

We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update
the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS
patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ?

Rgrds,
Zul

0
mlist1 (60)

If it was me do the OS first.

"Zul J" <mlist@istar.com.my> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update
> the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS
> patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ?
>
> Rgrds,
> Zul

0
exchange.mvp (559)
8/29/2005 4:04:30 AM
Keep in mind 2 things.

1.  If you choose to install the Exchange SP first, you will HAVE to install
Hotfix 831464.  If you don't have it installed, the SP setup will not allow
you to continue.
2.  If you choose to install the Windows 2003 SP first, when you run the
Exchange SP setup, you will receive a warning about known compatibility
issues with that version of Windows.  In almost all cases, this error can be
ignored.

Bottom line - you can install either one first.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Andrew Sword [MVP]" <exchange.mvp@nos.optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> If it was me do the OS first.
>

> "Zul J" <mlist@istar.com.my> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update
>> the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS
>> patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ?
>>
>> Rgrds,
>> Zul

0
Ben

can excel check one column against another
Hi. I have a spreadsheet with columns such as A, B, C, D, filled with numbers. Each row across such as row 1, then row 2, then row 3, etc of numbers is totaled in column E. Countless rows, each of which is totaled per row and then ends with a grand total at bottom of column E. Next comes columns F, G, H, also filled with numbers (but different numbers), which is totaled per row in Column I. At the bottom of Column I is a grand total. Even though arrived at using different sets of numbers, -both grand totals - in columns E and I must match. Sometimes they don't match. Ouch. So here is m...

Windows Live Mail not responding 04-30-10
For the past month I get not responding when I try to open an email. I end up having to close the program and reopen it. That does seem to help for awhile, but it's really bad. Do you have any thoughts what could be causing this problem? I'm thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling windows live mail. I have a lot of mail in storage folders and I wondered if there is an easy way to reload thiese folders. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Delete any problem messages in your acount(s) Inbox. Perform a manual compact in WLM. Open WLM(in mai...

Moving to Windows from a Mac
I have used Macs for years and think the are the best. However what I dislike is that I am CONSTANTLY having to upgrade my OS just to get the support of many third party apps. Windows XP is 4 years older than Mac OSX Tiger, and companies still support it, run it, and produce software for it. Yet many are moving away from Tiger and requiring that I run the latest Mac OS to run their software, or in the case of Quicken, to get my bank statements. Intuit says that downloading credit card statements via Quicken requires the latest and greatest and so in April of next year will abandon Tige...

First spreadsheet... forumla help
OK so I've got a big chart of lots of numbers and I need to apply some formulas to them so I can get what I need from them. Here's a sample of some of them. What I need from this particular list is 6(A) + (B/10) - 2(C) + (D/10) + 6(E). A B C D E 17 1335 0 441 1 14 892 2 187 1 16 1696 0 170 4 13 1128 2 169 0 9 1548 0 483 0 13 1518 2 578 2 9 1074 4 228 0 3 812 0 703 6 12 1635 0 103 1 7 819 3 109 0 13 1188 4 588 1 5 1315 4 235 2 5 1133 1 180 1 7 1006 0 116 0 12 1454 4 84 0 7 1163 0 275 1 2 479 0 112 0 4 673 0 189 0 12 1697 0 245 ...

Outlook 2003 Junk E-Mail folder problems
I have tried changing the filtering options and in any case i cannot see any items listed in the folder. The folder shows the number of unread messages and the folder and the "Junk E-mail" title is in bold but when I open the folder "There are no items to show in this view" is the only thing shown in the message pane. I connot view any of the messages in the Junk E-mail folder to see if any messages I need have been filtered there. Is there some setting to be changed to view the items in this folder? John Check your view of the folder. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outloo...

MS Office has not been installed for the current user.
I have installed MS Office Home and Student 2007 that I have purchased. It had been working fine for about 1 month on my Win laptop7 Now I can't open any of my MS Word docs. I get the message MS Office has not been installed for the current user. Can anyone help with a fix? Bill Did you have an Office 2007 Trial installed before at any time and did you uninstall it before installing your purchased version of Office 2007 H&S -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Bill"...

why crash in the second method of one interface
Hi, Using one class generated from *.tlb to call 2 methods of one COM. The strange thing is that I got one error of the "First-chance exception in : 0xC0000005: Access Violation" in the second method. I also use ASP web page to call both methods of this COM and both methods seems is OK. ITemplateManage mytemplate; if (!mytemplate.CreateDispatch("comobj.TemplateManage")) { IDE_Error::Report (ComError|1,"ComObj.TemplateManage in FUN_Template::Add()"); return false; } result = mytemplate.Check (templatefilename); decodeparameter=mytemplate.GetInfo (templ...

MSR Credit Card Reader adds all the information on one line
Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # line. Thanks in advance! What type of CC reader(MSR) to you have? Typically this is an issue with simply configuring the MSR. Rob "Steakum" wrote: > Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from > the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # > line. > > Thanks in advance! Its a IDTECH Minimag USB/Keyboard Interface Do I need to select the Wedge Key...

Duplicate Transactions, One When Pending, One When Posted
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I couldn't seem to find an answer searching: My problem is, a transaction occurs at my bank, and MM2K7 downloads the data for it. Once that transaction moves from "Pending" to "Posted" at my bank, the transaction data changes, so MM downloads it again. Sometimes I get a possible duplicate message from MM, sometimes I don't. What are people doing to handle this situation? Thank you. This is a problem with your bank, not with Money. Eventually they should fix it. Call them. In the meantime VOID the pending transacti...

update install

Multiple FE server using SSL
Trying to understand before we go there, when you have multiple FE 2003 servers, how do they share the one certificate? TIA! / Per Install the certificate on the first front-end server. Then export the certificate and import it on the subsequent servers. Of course this certificate should be created for the OWA URL, not the server name. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Per Hagstrom" <poh@charter.NOSPAMnet> wrote in message news:eeBqUKh%23GHA.4268@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Trying to understand before we ...

Errors Configuring Outlook to POP3 Server
I am trying to configure my Outlook to a POP3 server. When I send a message to my Outlook, this is the error message I am receiving: Unable to logon on to server using Distributed Password Authentication. Server response: ERR authorization first. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong. Does the server support Distributed Password Authentication? If you are not sure, try removing that check mark and then try again. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be...

Moving in a column by first letter of data in cells
Hi to all , I have a large worksheet (only a few thousand rows...) which makes it really cumbersome to move/scroll. I want to move around in one column by the first letter of word to enter data in the other columns (The same way we scroll in contacts of mobile phone by their first letter). I have sorted it alphabetically but still it's slow to move/scroll due to some codes and pivottables present in my workbook which have made my workbook quite sizeable. Regards. Say your names are in column A and that column B is available. In B1 enter: =LEFT(A2,1) and copy down. If then then...

grid off on one page
Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? thanks On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:37:11 -0600, "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote: >Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? Not really as it is a document wide setting.... however, there is workaround open the page shapesheet menu window -> Show shapesheet and set XGridSpacing and YGridSpacing to a large value. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. SSADM for Visio http://www.saadm.sandrila.co.uk/ On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:47:53 +0000, Paul Herber <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wro...

How do I received attachments unzipped in Outlook 2003?
The attachments that I receive at work have been coming in zipped. My associate receives the same message and the attachments are not zipped in her email. What setting can I can I change in Outlook 2003 that will leave my attachments in the manner in which they were sent? On 2/26/2010 5:31 PM, blessed wrote: > The attachments that I receive at work have been coming in zipped. My > associate receives the same message and the attachments are not zipped in her > email. What setting can I can I change in Outlook 2003 that will leave my > attachments in the manner in which t...

One to One relationship
I have an Events entity that is an offshoot from the Contacts entity. Basically, it tracks what events each contact has been invited to, and is used mainly by the Events Coordinator. I've set it up as a One (Contact) to Many (Events) relationship. However, I really only want one event form for each contact form. The reason I've set up a different entity rather than just adding a tab is that access to this entity needs to be tightly controlled. Obviously, if many events forms are created for the one contact, it would be very difficult to tell which one is accurate etc. Is it possibl...

Firewall is blocking HQ client/server over VPN
I have a VPN connection bet the store and my laptop which has HQ. When I am in my store's network, HQ client and server communicates fine. But from outside, the VPN is connecting but the Windows firewall on my laptop is blocking the communication from HQ client. To isolate the problem, when I turn off the firewall, it does indeed connect. The Windows firewall has RMS Server and Manager as exceptions as well as port 34200 and 34202 open. What else do I have to do to the firewall? I hear the port for SQL should not be open. You have answered your own question: RMS communicates with...

Next Date given one date
At this time, I cannot use VBA. Here is my objective: For a given treasury note security: Cell A1, Date 6/17/2004 - today's date Cell A2, Date 7/15/1997 - first coupon date I want to identify the "previous coupon date" and "next coupon date" from today's date based on the frequency of the "first coupon date". Logically speaking: * Security pays 2 times each year * Based on first coupon date, pay dates are: 1/15 & 7/15 * Given today is 6/17/04, the next pay date is 7/15/04. * Given today is 6/17/04, the previous pay date is 1/15/04. Can this be...

Windows XP Professional SP 3 With RMS POS freezing up
We have 2 registers they are: Register #1:Windows XP Professional SP 3RAM: 2GBRMS: v2.0.0128 Register #2: Windows XP Professional SP 3RAM: 2GBRMS: v2.0.0128 we would have errors: (Database connection loast, application will close error#2147467259) 4-5 times a day when using POS I was advised to do the following: -Checked SO Admin DB configuration for Register #1 (Main server)Server Name: (local)Database Name: CardinalDB-Changed Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections to Local connections only on the server's Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Configuration Tools-Made sure that th...

route inbound email from ip to one folder
Is there a way to route any incoming email from a certain IP address to a single folder? Our company is receiving emails from a source that we do not wish to receive, and would like these email to be directed to a singe folder rather than blocking them. Any ideas? Thanks. you could send them to the turf dir... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245465 "daine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11d501c4263d$f4d05110$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to route any incoming email from a certain > IP address to a single ...

Opening Graph Format Axis Window with Vb code
dear friends, i am using ms office 2003. i have displayed a Microsoft Graph Chart in a form. in that graph if we double click at Origin( where x any y axes intersect each ohter), we will get a data table view. if we again double click at Origin, then we will get a window called Format Axis. it consits of tabs Patterns, scale,Font,Number and Alignment how do we open that window with Vb code. when i click a button that window should be opened ...

Exchange 2003 Admin -> Windows 2000 Workstation?
Hey, is it possible to install the EX2003 Admin tool to a Win2k WS? I tried to install but the EX Admin tool setup frequently asked for missing compontens. After several tries and it didnt work finally. Is there any docu? Thanks Lars Lars: I don't know if that can be done. What I usually do is use RDC/TSC to get to the Exchange server and use the admin tools from there. In a large network, I find that to be much faster than using ESM and ADUC locally. Regards, Martin "Lars Droste" <lars.droste@nospam.extendedsystems.de> wrote in message news:OpuYD0LZEHA.4032@TK...

Exchange
Hi, I would like to send e-mail with a lot of users, maybe more than 10.000 (partner list). Is there any users limit recepient in Exchange 2003 or any default number of users in BCC field? Thnx. Yes, there are limits. Look around on the properties of your Default SMTP Virtual Server and you should be able to figure out what your limits are set at. You also may want to take a look under your Global Settings, Message Delivery properties. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Dan" ...

One client (Server 2k8-R2/HyperV) will not sync with DPM
We have been running DPM successfully for about a year now without any major problems. Recently we added a new server - a fairly robust PowerEdge that will be housing 4 HyperV VMs. For whatever reason, I can't get anything but the HyperV "Initial Store" to sync correctly. I thought initially it might be a problem with the HyperV machines, but it also fails to back up a small directory of files on the host drive. The oddest part about this is I really don't get an error. It will try an initial sync and run for a day or two and show very minimal data tr...