Where is Scanpst?

I am attempting to clean out users mailboxes because they are too large with
spam.  Anything over 100 meg and i try to clean it out.  However, when i
click in the inbox i get  a message 'Unable to display the folder.  Errors
have been detected in c:... ... outlook.ost.  Use inbox repair tool
(Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file.  For more
information about the Inbox repair tool see Help.'  I guess i don't
understand the instructions or what to do here....    charlie

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:32:45 -0500, "charles kuchar"
<charliekuchar@news.postalias> wrote:

>I am attempting to clean out users mailboxes because they are too large with
>spam.  Anything over 100 meg and i try to clean it out.  However, when i
>click in the inbox i get  a message 'Unable to display the folder.  Errors
>have been detected in c:... ... outlook.ost.  Use inbox repair tool
>(Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file.  For more
>information about the Inbox repair tool see Help.'  I guess i don't
>understand the instructions or what to do here....    charlie

Typically: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033
Search the workstation you have Office installed on.

0
adavid (8731)
7/14/2005 2:38:58 PM
I used help from the start button.  That doesn't work.  Using help from
outlook solved the problem with finding the file scanpst.exe.  charlie

"charles kuchar" <charliekuchar@news.postalias> wrote in message
>I am attempting to clean out users mailboxes because they are too large
>with spam.  Anything over 100 meg and i try to clean it out.  However, when
>i click in the inbox i get  a message 'Unable to display the folder.
>Errors have been detected in c:... ... outlook.ost.  Use inbox repair tool
>(Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file.  For more
>information about the Inbox repair tool see Help.'  I guess i don't
>understand the instructions or what to do here....    charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for posting here. I am glad that you have successfully located the
Scanpst file. For your information, I would like to provide the following
more information.

Regarding the Scanpst Utility, you can locate these programs in the
following folder:

<CD drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT\Scanpst.exe
(Windows 2000)

<CD drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMapi\1033\Scanpst.exe
(Windows XP)

For more information about the Scanpst Utility, refer to the article below.

How to use the Inbox Repair Tool to recover messages in Outlook 2000 that
is installed with Corporate and Workgroup option
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=197316

Additionally, based on my experience, in case you encountered any corrupt
items in mailbox which cannot be removed in Outlook, you can use MDBVU32
Utility to remove these corrupt items.

MDBVU32 Utility
====================
MDBVU32 provides a GUI interface that allows you to choose the messages you
want to delete.

Note: You can find the utility under CD_Drive:\SERVER\SUPPORT\UTILS\I386.
Please don't run the MDBVU32.exe utility on your Exchange Server itself.
You can even download the tool from the website below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3D1C7482-4C6E-4EC5-
983E-127100D71376&displaylang=en

1). Double-click on the Mdbvu32.exe file.
2). On the "MAPILogonEx(MAPI_LOGON_UI)" box, click on the "OK" button.
3). Click the name of the profile that includes the problematic account. On
the MDB menu, click Open Message Store.
4). On the MDB menu, click Open Root Folder.
5). Double click IPM_SUBTREE.
6). Double click the folder which contains the corrupt item.
7). Highlight the item you want to delete.
8). In the Operations Available dialog box, click
"lpFLD->DeleteMessages()". Click Call Function, and then click OK to
confirm the deletion. The message is deleted.
9). Close all the subwindows.
10). On the "MDB Viewer Test Application" box, click on the "Session" menu,
and choose the "Session Logoff" option.
11). On the "lpMDB -> StoreLogoff()" box, click on the "OK" button.
12). On the "Client" box, click on the "OK" button.
13). On the "MDB Viewer Test Application" box, click on the "Session" menu,
and choose the "Exit" option.
14). Open Outlook then test the issue again.

For more information about how to use MDBVU32 Utility, you can refer to the
document "Information Store Viewer" after download and unzip the file from
the link above.

Hope this helps. If there is anything we can help in the future, feel free
to let us know Thanks!

Lee Li
Microsoft Online Partner Support

v-leeli (179)

I dont have scanpst.exe folder. How do I add one so I can fix Out
I get a message stating that I need to run scanpst.exe as I have a corrupt folder. In the file path under Office 12, there is not scanpst.exe folder. Is there somewhere I can download this file? Mary It is not a folder but a tool for scanning your pst files for errors. Do a search for scanpst.exe and when you find it go to it and run it with Outlook closed. -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Mary O" <Mary O@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

scanpst has caused an error in scanpst.exe
any ideas?. Can't archive or retieve archived files. I have run the Outlook repair to no avail Nope, not a clue. However, if you post your Outlook/Windows version, what happened to cause you to have to run scanpst.exe, and how big your .pst file is, someone might be able to help. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Steve <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | any i...

ScanPST does not repair all?
After running ScanPST and fixing errors, I then run the tool again and it is still finding errors? Is this normal, how many times do you typically need to run this? What is going on behind the scenes that the tool is not fixing all the errors? Thanks. How big is the pst file? RUnning scanpst.exe until it finds no errors is always the best route. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Al Franz asked...

Where is Scanpst?
I am attempting to clean out users mailboxes because they are too large with spam. Anything over 100 meg and i try to clean it out. However, when i click in the inbox i get a message 'Unable to display the folder. Errors have been detected in c:... ... outlook.ost. Use inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool see Help.' I guess i don't understand the instructions or what to do here.... charlie On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:32:45 -0500, "charles kuchar" <charliekuchar@news.po...

Outlook 2007
Hello: I am confused about what ScanPST reports as errors and warnings. In my 9GB pst file, scanpst found errors which it itself wasn't able to fix, i run Datanumen Advanced Outlook Recovery, it produced a fixed file, scanpst on it find minor inconsistencies I asked it to fix and then scanpst found errors etc. Can you please give me some insight into what's going on? What are errors / inconsistencies found by ScanPST? Can you recommend any other tool than ScanPST or Datanumen's one? -- Jiri Pik jiri@jiripik.com ...

exmerge and Scanpst
A quick question, whenever I use exmerge to extract a pst file from Excgange 2003, if I do a check wuith Scanpst (from outlook 2003) it always finds errors it needs to fix. Is this expected ? Andy In news:u$Q8GR$eFHA.2700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl, Andy Cobley <acobley@computing.dundee.ac.uk> typed: > A quick question, whenever I use exmerge to extract a pst file from > Excgange 2003, if I do a check wuith Scanpst (from outlook 2003) it > always finds errors it needs to fix. > > Is this expected ? > > Andy I've never done this, so I can't say. Are you h...

scanpst.exe
Is not on my system. How do I get it? MS Office 2k pro. Turn on searching hidden/system folders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Al Slocumb asked: | Is not on my system. How do I get it? | | MS Office 2k pro. Show hidden is already turned on. Please, it ain't here. How do I get it?? "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@don...

Scanpst.exe #3
I use Outlook2007 on Win XP Pro. Something has suddenly happened to my Outlook pst file, as the last few times I opened Outlook, I got the message that Outlook had not shut down properly, and that Outlook would be scanning my pst file, and that might cause Outlook to slow, until the scanning was completed. (I know that was not the exact wording, but something similiar anyway.) I never did figure out what was causing Outlook to not shut down properly, but now I have lost all my emails that were in my inbasket, with the exception of the emails that were in their own directories. I&#...

scanpst/not responding
When I try to open an email I get a message the system says "not responding" and suggests I run the scanpst. I do all that and I end up with a file called "recovered folder 8082" instead of my inbox. HOw do I get my inbox back? When you run in these type of corruptions it is better to start with a new pst-file and copy over your contents from the old pst-file to the new one. For step-by-step details see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/329 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ O...

what is the difference between scanpst. and detect and repair
Scanpst.exe looks for errors in your .pst file - detect and repair looks for mismatched .dlls, missing files, etc. in your Office installation. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, bob asked: ...

Scanpst and Vista
Originally I had installed Win XP and Office 2003 on my computer. Recently I bought Vista and re-installed my Office 2300. Everything has been running correctly since. A few days ago however I had some trouble with Outlook and ran scanpst.exe successfully. Today, when I discussed some technical problems with a friend of mine, to my great surprise I cannot find scanpst.exe any more. It is definitely nowhere on my computer (I'm no newbie, by the way, so I do know how and where to search!!). I managed to retrieve scanpst.exe from my Office installation CD. When I try to run it it com...

scanpst.exe #2
is there a better version than the one microsoft provides? I keep having to run scan pst to view my contacts, sometimes it finds an error and corects it, sometimes it finds nothing. Oddly, when it finds nothing, I can view my contacts. My other outlook folders, such as inbox, are never afffected. This contacts thing is driving me nuts. Might there be one contact that has a problem? Is there anyway to tell which one? MHoffmeier <mhoffmeier_spammenot_ok?@hargray.com> wrote: > is there a better version than the one microsoft provides? There are commercial tools that pur...

Scanpst missing
Outlook says there is problem with c:\users\xxx\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst and to run scanpst.exe. I have Vista and after searching computer cannot find the file. Is there a way to download this file? My computer is french so I don't always knowthe translations It's there. Are you using 64bit vista? if so, office is in the 32 bit programs file. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/scanpst.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook T...

Using Scanpst.exe
I have used the utlity scanpst.exe on one of my pst files. I came up with no errors. I have a 1.8gig pst, the problem is that I want to delete some mail from this file but I cannot the message states: The messagig interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists restart Outlook. I have restarted outlook but still receive the same error when trying to delete from the archive.pst. Regards Steve There is a downloadable program that will truncate your pst try that may work also look at: OL2002: Error Message When You Copy a File to a PST That Exceeds 1.82 GB (305108) &g...

Scanpst repair creates 'fixed' empty file
Tricky one. Here's the story. Grateful for any assistance.. 1. Started to have problems recieving email. Ran Scanpst which found 2 folder errors in the 349MG file. After repair, the folder only had 4 remaining folders (email folders, calendar, contacts folders no longer there) but was still 349MB. 2. So I created a new profile (Control Panel>Mail>Add) and this created a new blank Outlook1.pst. 3. Ran Scanpst on this new file (even before opening it for the first time) and it had the same '2 folder error' and when 'fixed' , the file is renamed 'Recovered Personal F...

Is there a best utility to check and clean a PST than SCANPST.EXE?
Dear friends: Since a month I have a big problem with sync-sing Outlook with my WM5 PDA-phone. The sync process takes an infinity amount of time (several hours without ending it) and normally crashes the PDA. I don't have any problem sync-sing the same Outlook with old WindowsCE devices like an HP-720. Also, SCANPST.EXE says that the PST file is OK, and I can sync the same WM5 PDA with another computer without any problem. I have reinstalled ActiveSync 4.5 several times and all seems to be OK there. So I assume that the problem is in the Outlook PST file. Since my PST file, or Outlook i...

scanpst.exe questions
Hi, After much hunting, I found scanpst.exe, which I'm told will help me overcome mailbox correuption problem. When I run it, I'm told that .pst that I'm trying to fix does not exisit specifically - despite the fact that when I look at it's details, this 'non-existant" file has 34, 444 bytes in it. Has anyone seen this type of helpful behavior beore and do you have any suggestions about how to out wit it? It all depends on how corrupt the mailbox is, but I've seen situations where putting a null character in the first byte of the file allowed scanpst t...

Scanpst.exe
I found this on a website for those of you who use Outlook2007 and have problems trying to repair your pst file: - The Scanpst.exe is different for 2007. It is located in thedrive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12 Folder. Here is an up to date link on the procedure: http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/outlook/repair.html ...

scanpst.exe error
My outlook.pst file is corrupt. I followed the Knowledge Base instructions, did a chkdsk, renamed the file. When I try running scanpst.exe on the renamed file, I get this error: An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use ScanDisk to check the disk for errors, and then try using the Inbox Repair Tool again. The problem here is that I'm running Windows XP Professional and ScanDisk is not available. I also cannot copy or move the file. But I can rename it. Any suggestions? Thank you, Tim Sullivan timmu@earthlink.net Version of OL? size of pst? If you cannot copy ...

Cannot start Outlook 2007 error (Scanpst.exe issue)
I am using Outlook 2007 with Windows 7. Outlook 2007 has been running great for half a year since I installed it. Now I am getting this message: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair took (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help." I have done a rep...

Scanpst shows errors
WinXp, Office2003 both updated, 2003 format pst of 34mb Suddenly OL2003 has started giving problems, ie switching between folders or msgs is slow to display Scanpst shows errors, which it fixes however the problem reoccurs, over a period of time, and errors are again shown. There is only the OLbackup addin. Scanpst log file shows; ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (6CF618) - repeated for some 80 addresses followed by *Attempting to recover all top-level objects !!Folder invalid high-water-mark (nidi=5E94, nidiHigh=5EC7) !!Search folder invalid high-water-mark (nidi=5EA7, ...

ScanPST not fixing errors?
Have run ScanPST about 5 times on a PST file and it still has errors after fixing it each time. Should I keep on going, will the eventually get fixed? Is this common? Thanks. What version Outlook was the pst created in, and what size is the pst? Can the pst be opened within Outlook? Have you also run any HD checking tool? "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message news:uiaI7I2rJHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Have run ScanPST about 5 times on a PST file and it still has errors after > fixing it each time. Should I keep on going, will the event...

scanpst log file
Hello, I am continually getting the following message: Unable to display the folder. Errors have been detected in the file c:blahblahblah\mypstfile.pst. Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool. my pst file is well under 2gig, but I have the symptoms of the too big pst file. I run scan pst, sometimes if finds an error, sometimes not. Outlook works for an hour or two days after I run scan pst, then I get the error again. Could someone point me to a source that could interpret the log file for scan pst? It says things like !!Invalid node (nid=814E, ...

Folder Hierarchy/Running SCANPST.EXE automatically
Hello Everybdy, I am using Outlook 2003 (IMAP) together with an MDaemon Mailserver. I have permanent Problems with the folder hiearchy. At least twice per day, the hierarchy is corrupted and I can see all my Tasks, Calendar items, Contacts as email, or I get a nice calendar view of my contacts. SCANPST.EXE tells me that it has found errors in the folder hierarchy like: **Beginning PST/OST recovery **Attempting to recover all top-level objects **Attempting to walk all folders !!Hierarchy Table for 122, row doesn't match sub-object: irow = 0, RowID = 2223 **Attempt...

scanpst contacts problem
Several times a day I get the following message when accessing my contacts folder. Unable to display the folder. Errors have been detected in the file c:blahblahblah\mypstfile.pst. Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool. I run scanpst.exe, it says there are no errors in my pst file. However, I can then access my contacts. Later in the day, I have to do the same thing. What in the world is going on? How big is your .pst file? And what version of Outlook? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact...