What good are Two Exchange 2003 servers if one fails?

If I have one exchange 2003 of the west cost with 100 users and another on
the east with 30 users, can I use the other as a backup if one is down? A
local integrator is telling me yes, but he's not sure exactly how this would
work exactly.

Thanks!

0
nguser2u1 (12)

no way, unless you've implemented a GeoSpan clustering solution...

"admin too" <nguser2u@no.spam.AOL.com> wrote in message
> If I have one exchange 2003 of the west cost with 100 users and another on
> the east with 30 users, can I use the other as a backup if one is down? A
> local integrator is telling me yes, but he's not sure exactly how this
would
> work exactly.
>
> Thanks!

0
susan7353 (1225)
4/29/2004 5:10:49 PM
Hi, would this be prohibititialy expensive for a company this size?  Any
other options for high availability and complete replication for redundant
systems on each coast?

Thanks again.

"Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> no way, unless you've implemented a GeoSpan clustering solution...
>
> "admin too" <nguser2u@no.spam.AOL.com> wrote in message
> > If I have one exchange 2003 of the west cost with 100 users and another
on
> > the east with 30 users, can I use the other as a backup if one is down?
> > local integrator is telling me yes, but he's not sure exactly how this
> would
> > work exactly.
> >
> > Thanks!

0
nguser2u1 (12)

Exchange Calendar Update Tool Question
When running the exchange data update tool, do participants of updated calendar items have to manually accept each updated meeting again or is there a way to bypass this like with using just the Outlook tool? I thought the Exchange update tool is supposed to just be a way to run the Outlook tool in a batch form from the server. The Outlook tool is supposed to give you the option to update attendees or not, but I haven't seen this mentioned in documentation for the Exchange. - The Exchange Calendar Update Tool calls the Outlook Calendar Update Tool TzMove.exe (or as MS calls it, &q...

Exchange and Outlook #2
Guys, I'm new to Exchange and Outlook. Long story short the business I work for uses a third party pop3 e-mail tool for all users. For a select few I would like to set up Outlook to hit the exchange server using the corporate type setup. I've tried everything I know to connect to my mail server and Outlook cannot see it. We use Novell to authenticate for File and Print. What must be in place for Outlook and Exchange to talk to each other? Any suggestions would be appreciated. What kind of POP3 "tool"? Your company does have an Exchange server in = addition to POP3 ac...

IMAP on Exchange Server SBS Windows 2003 SBS
I have the following problem: I can connect to Exchange Server an the folders are downloaded. But only if i sign in as Administrator the incomming Emails are appearing in my Email Programm (Nokia 9300, MS Outlook Express). If i sign in as another user the Emails are not appearing in my Email Programm. I Think it´s a problem of permissions but i don´t know where or what to change. So login is ok but Email download only functions for Administrator. In news:5D2AB537-212B-4F81-B36E-BF8A7B83713B@microsoft.com, Josef Hecht <JosefHecht@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I ...

Same account in two groups
I've got the same account in two different groups. I've moved all transactions to one account, but the Portfolio view still has a second account under another group with zero transactions. How do I get rid of the second view without deleting the whole account? GB In microsoft.public.money, Gabriel Behr wrote: >I've got the same account in two different groups. I've >moved all transactions to one account, but the Portfolio >view still has a second account under another group with >zero transactions. > >How do I get rid of the second view withou...

Exchange Passwords in Outlook
Gurus, I am hosting Exchange for one of my clients using RPCoHTTP on Server 2003, Exchange 2003, and Outlook 2003. The users, however, are logging on to a separate domain and never log on to the hosting domain other than through Outlook. My problem is that they are not getting notified that their passwords are about to expire. Consequently, their Outlook simply stops working telling the user that his/ her password is expired. I have seen http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322264 but this appears to pertain to OWA. Is there another workaround? Can I get Outlook to pro...

Migration to Project Server 2007 from Artemis
I'm helping a customer migrate from Artemis to PS 2007. Does anyone have any experience that they would like to share? Things to watch for? Lessons learned? I am assuming you save the project files as mpp and then import them into 2007. If that is the case, then any fields created that are not defaults in Project, the data will not transfer on import. This is much the same as transfering data from 2003 Project Server to 2007. If there are resources on the plans, make sure they are in the 2007 resource pool before you import. We followed this procedure to upgrade from 20...

Migrating Users to New Exchange 2003 Server
Is there a way to change which server that Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003 looks at wihtout having to redo their profiles?? We have an Exchange 2000 server, E2K, and we are migrating some users, not all, to a new server that is coexisting, E2K3. I want to be able to move groups of users without having to go to their desktops and reconfigure Outlook. Thanks in advance, Russell ...

Get $500 to your PAYPAL Account by just one CLICK)

what is a good book

Double-printing in one print area
I have a simple three-column list that I need to print, but need t print two sets of the list per page. I can't adjust the layout of th list itself as it is the result of an external database query which i refreshed when the sheet is opened. I can't figure out a way to d this, anyone got any ideas??? Thanks.:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Chris, Excel prints a sheet just as it's actually laid out, with little variation. By two sets, do you mean an identical list to the right, or do you want a single list (easy) in two columns per page (not so easy)? ...

New Windows 2K / Exchange 2K
I move mailbox and public folder from an old server (Win2K/Exchnage 2K) to new server (Win2K/Exchange 2K). I follow the instructions on the KB 307917, for public folder replication. Accindentally, I uninstal Exchange 2000 on the old server before to remove public folders replicas on the new exchange server. Outlook client can work on the public folders of new server, but I can not work with public folder (to remove public folders replicas) with Exchange System Manager (ESM). I Want to use folder proprierties to remove replica from old server. I can not see the public folder on the root publi...

Problem with OE since installing Office 2003
Ever since I installed Office 2003, I can no longer send attachments by right clicking on the file and choosing "send." When I do this, it tells me that there is no profile set up in Outlook. However, I don't use Outlook as a mail client--I use Outlook Express. Can anyone help? Thanks, k. Bring up the Internet Options configuration dialog via the control panel or Internet Explorer and go to the Programs tab. Is Outlook Express set as your default mail client? "kozure-okami" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:662b01c4827f$071...

Exchange 2003 environment
Hello, I have one Windows 2000 server as a domain controller running Exchange 2000. Is it possible to do an upgrade of exchange only to Exchange 2003 but leave Windows on 2000? or will I need to upgrade windows to 2003 as well? From what I have read it looks as if Exchange 2003 will run in a Windows 2000 domain but I just want word from someone who has some experience. Thanks, Chris DeFreitas Yes you can upgrade to Exchange 2003 without upgrading to Windows 2003 -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Chris DeFreitas" <chris@N...

Inventory and Cost of Goods Sold Being Out of a Balance by a Penny
Hello: In GP 10.0 SP1, has anyone encountered an issue where Inventory and Cost of Goods Sold are out of balance by a penny upon posting Sales Order Processing invoices? It does not happen on every invoice or for every item. But, in the journal entry that results from posting as invoice, the client has to book the penny either to Inventory or Cost of Goods Sold in order to post the journal entry. From elementary accounting school days, aren't Inventory and Cost of Goods Sold supposed to equal? childofthe1980s Are lots in use with fractional unit sales? Multiple Units of Measure...

Active Directory and Exchange
Can I have Active Directory and exchange on the same server and CRM on a seperate server. Or do I need AD and exchange on seperate servers. You can put both AD & Excahnge on the same machine. Depending on the network size and amount of email traffic, this is usually not recommended. but for a smaller environment this is fine. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:03:20 -0700, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Can I have Active Directory and exchange on the same server and CRM on a sepera...

Exchange 2003 Public Folders #2
Hi All, I'm encountering a problem with read/uread status of public folde items. Although I cleared the checkbox on the Genaral tab on th properties on specific folders, the status is not set when a user read an item. Setup is: 1 exchange org with 3 spread out exchanges servers connecte over a wan-link. When i, however, change the flag of an item the read-status i changed. Any ideas? reg's Pete - Pepber ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.webservertalk.co ------------------------------------------------------------------...

Can I consolidate a bunch of workbooks iinto one?

Copying toolbars from one profile to another
Excel 2002 I have copied the toolbar files from one profile to another and it doesn't seem to have the right icons. But when I load the Excel10 file from the new profile's directory it works. How can I set it up to use this new profile? Thanks in advance. ...

Outlook 2003 Inbox Accounts Format Changed Unexpectedly
I use Outlook 2003 with XP Pro, SP3. Outlook was set up so that when I opened it, the Inbox showed my 4 accounts and if an account had new emails, the number of new emails was shown. Today I opened Outlook, and all the emails were shown by date order and not separated into accounts. Help! How do I return it to its previous format? kateinmo Maybe your view changed. Go to the View menu > Current view submenu and choose a different one. "kateinmo" <kateinmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B16E550-876F-4D2A-B9C4-9B8232A580CC@microsoft.com... > I u...

Linking two text boxes
I have a text box on page one of a document and I have another text box on page two of the same document. I want both boxes to contain the same text - although formatted differently. How can I type it once and have it automatically change in the second text box? Best way is to copy/paste the text and re-format. There really isn't any easy way to synchronize objects. JoAnn Paules had a way to use a text box from a newsletter template. Look for a post dated May 6, 4:20 PM by Jim. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com ...

microsoft exchange 5.5
hi all actually i m new to exchange server so can anyone please help me starting my studies for exchange i stay in kolkata /india but right now i m in china giving support to client for it infrastructure i m ccna i have got knowledge about cisco switches and routers but i dont have much idea about exchange server so do anyone of u have documents for exchange please mail me at sukhwinder.singh@bookham.com i will b thankful to u Hi You might want to start with www.microsoft.com/exchange and you will find a lot of great information there to get you started. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Lim...

Migrating from desktop Outlook to Exchange
My Outlook has a huge PST. I'm planning to start using hosted Exchange so that I can share this data with another computer. I'm not sure what the process is though. My domain & mail are currently hosted by a web host that doesn't offer hosted Exchange. Can I sign up with an Exchange host and have them pull email from my current mail server, or do I need to transfer my domain to the new host? For unrelated reasons, I also want to know if the following is possible. Can I import my PST from Outlook to the Exchange server so that all my data is replicated on the...

Hosting two domains Exchange 2k3
We need to setup a second domain name for receiving and sending mail. We've done this for years, even on our old Exchange 5.5 server. But nowadays because of spam filters you need to have a reverse DNS for every server and every domain name, which means an IP address per domain name, right? How else do we get around this? If I do use another IP address for this new domain name what's the configuration for exchange? I'd need it to send on a particular IP address. Just to add to the complexity, I'm running a Linkproof DNS load balancer for three ISP's but one of the...

Share additional calendar in Outlook 2003
Hi, I've created a 2nd Calendar in Outlook 2003 and want to share with other users. However, I don't want to share my default Calendar. I've tried couple times but other users always pick up my default Calendar only. How can I fix it? Thanks Exch server is 2003. Cal PinkCrib <webmaster@pinkcrib.com> wrote: > I've created a 2nd Calendar in Outlook 2003 and want to share with > other users. However, I don't want to share my default Calendar. I've > tried couple times but other users always pick up my default Calendar > only. How can I fix it? Thank...

CRM Import wizard fails to open outlook ~
I am testing CRM in a lab before implementation and I want to test importing many contacts, when I open the import contacts tool (tools>import>contct) in web crm interface I get a message after selectying outlook that states "Microsoft Outlook cannot be started, Verify that Outlook is installed on this computer. And I am stuck right there. Please help. Thanks. Seth Seth; CRM needs Outlook installed if you want to import from an Ooutlook PST file. The catch is that you cannot install OL on a CRM server, so you will need to set up a client workstation with OL installed and h...