What are .ifs files used for Exchange 2003?

I am running Exchange 2003 SP1 Enterprise with the default install.  So drive
m should be disabled.  Though I notice .ifs files popping up in the directory
where the mailbox store is.  The research that I found it that Exchange uses
these files as temp files and the SA removes them when they are done.  But I
don't know how acurate the research is that I found.  Does anyone know if
this is normal operation for Exchange 2003?  What does Exchange 2003 use .ifs
files for?  I have notice that one particualar .ifs file has not been removed
for over a day.
Thanks...
0
Regan (7)

Regan

IFS - Installable File System is the system driver that "created" the M:
drive in Ex2k and earlier. It has actually not be removed in Ex2K3 and could
actually be used in desired. MS decided to remove it as default because it
caused more problems than it solved particularly with AV scanners etc.

Nue

"Regan" <Regan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Exchange 2003 SP1 Enterprise with the default install.  So
>drive
> m should be disabled.  Though I notice .ifs files popping up in the
> directory
> where the mailbox store is.  The research that I found it that Exchange
> uses
> these files as temp files and the SA removes them when they are done.  But
> don't know how acurate the research is that I found.  Does anyone know if
> this is normal operation for Exchange 2003?  What does Exchange 2003 use
> .ifs
> files for?  I have notice that one particualar .ifs file has not been
> removed
> for over a day.
> Thanks...

0
imaneophyte (3004)
1/10/2006 4:33:50 PM
Right, but the files with the .ifs extension still occasionally get created
as temp files on the system, and yes they are supposed to get cleaned up,
but occasionally don't.

"Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Regan
>
> IFS - Installable File System is the system driver that "created" the M:
> drive in Ex2k and earlier. It has actually not be removed in Ex2K3 and
> could actually be used in desired. MS decided to remove it as default
> because it caused more problems than it solved particularly with AV
> scanners etc.
>
> Nue
>
> "Regan" <Regan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am running Exchange 2003 SP1 Enterprise with the default install.  So
>>drive
>> m should be disabled.  Though I notice .ifs files popping up in the
>> directory
>> where the mailbox store is.  The research that I found it that Exchange
>> uses
>> these files as temp files and the SA removes them when they are done.
>> But I
>> don't know how acurate the research is that I found.  Does anyone know if
>> this is normal operation for Exchange 2003?  What does Exchange 2003 use
>> .ifs
>> files for?  I have notice that one particualar .ifs file has not been
>> removed
>> for over a day.
>> Thanks...

0
awebb7472 (650)
1/10/2006 4:48:53 PM
Thanks guys for your help..  So if the SA does not clean up the files, is
there a manual way or just don't worry about it?  Do the files get removed if
the services are restarted?

"andy webb" wrote:

> Right, but the files with the .ifs extension still occasionally get created
> as temp files on the system, and yes they are supposed to get cleaned up,
> but occasionally don't.
>

> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Regan
> >
> > IFS - Installable File System is the system driver that "created" the M:
> > drive in Ex2k and earlier. It has actually not be removed in Ex2K3 and
> > could actually be used in desired. MS decided to remove it as default
> > because it caused more problems than it solved particularly with AV
> > scanners etc.
> >
> > Nue
> >
> > "Regan" <Regan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I am running Exchange 2003 SP1 Enterprise with the default install.  So
> >>drive
> >> m should be disabled.  Though I notice .ifs files popping up in the
> >> directory
> >> where the mailbox store is.  The research that I found it that Exchange
> >> uses
> >> these files as temp files and the SA removes them when they are done.
> >> But I
> >> don't know how acurate the research is that I found.  Does anyone know if
> >> this is normal operation for Exchange 2003?  What does Exchange 2003 use
> >> .ifs
> >> files for?  I have notice that one particualar .ifs file has not been
> >> removed
> >> for over a day.
> >> Thanks...

0
Regan (7)
1/10/2006 5:02:02 PM
occasionally the files don't get removed.  I don't typically worry about it
because it's a small number of files.  If it's not for you, then you need to
be looking for the underlying problem rather than looking at how and when to
remove the files.

> Thanks guys for your help..  So if the SA does not clean up the files, is
> there a manual way or just don't worry about it?  Do the files get removed
> if
> the services are restarted?
>
> "andy webb" wrote:
>
>> Right, but the files with the .ifs extension still occasionally get
>> created
>> as temp files on the system, and yes they are supposed to get cleaned up,
>> but occasionally don't.
>>

>> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Regan
>> >
>> > IFS - Installable File System is the system driver that "created" the
>> > M:
>> > drive in Ex2k and earlier. It has actually not be removed in Ex2K3 and
>> > could actually be used in desired. MS decided to remove it as default
>> > because it caused more problems than it solved particularly with AV
>> > scanners etc.
>> >
>> > Nue
>> >
>> > "Regan" <Regan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
awebb7472 (650)
1/10/2006 5:34:58 PM
Thank Andy for your response...
You wouldn't know by chance where I should start looking for this underlying
problem.
Thanks.

"andy webb" wrote:

> occasionally the files don't get removed.  I don't typically worry about it
> because it's a small number of files.  If it's not for you, then you need to
> be looking for the underlying problem rather than looking at how and when to
> remove the files.
>

> "Regan" <Regan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks guys for your help..  So if the SA does not clean up the files, is
> > there a manual way or just don't worry about it?  Do the files get removed
> > if
> > the services are restarted?
> >
> > "andy webb" wrote:
> >
> >> Right, but the files with the .ifs extension still occasionally get
> >> created
> >> as temp files on the system, and yes they are supposed to get cleaned up,
> >> but occasionally don't.
> >>

> >> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
Regan (7)
1/11/2006 5:31:05 PM
i'd look for unexpected service restarts or system reboots

I'd run ExBPA (www.exbpa.com) and see about any critical issues.

I'd check the event logs for clues during the online maintenance schedule.

> Thank Andy for your response...
> You wouldn't know by chance where I should start looking for this
> underlying
> problem.
> Thanks.
>
> "andy webb" wrote:
>
>> occasionally the files don't get removed.  I don't typically worry about
>> it
>> because it's a small number of files.  If it's not for you, then you need
>> be looking for the underlying problem rather than looking at how and when
>> remove the files.
>>

>> "Regan" <Regan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks guys for your help..  So if the SA does not clean up the files,
>> > is
>> > there a manual way or just don't worry about it?  Do the files get
>> > removed
>> > if
>> > the services are restarted?

0
awebb7472 (650)
1/12/2006 6:50:41 AM
Thanks Andy!

"andy webb" wrote:

> i'd look for unexpected service restarts or system reboots
>
> I'd run ExBPA (www.exbpa.com) and see about any critical issues.
>
> I'd check the event logs for clues during the online maintenance schedule.
>

> "Regan" <Regan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank Andy for your response...
> > You wouldn't know by chance where I should start looking for this
> > underlying
> > problem.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "andy webb" wrote:
> >
> >> occasionally the files don't get removed.  I don't typically worry about
> >> it
> >> because it's a small number of files.  If it's not for you, then you need
> >> be looking for the underlying problem rather than looking at how and when
> >> remove the files.
> >>

> >> "Regan" <Regan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Regan (7)

Importing of files
My computer crashes and I have to install all my OS and software again. All my previous message in the outlook cannot be import back. I back up only the dbx files and did not do any export of message. Is this why I cannot import my message back? I am using outlook 2002 If you're using dbx files, you are not using Outlook "Ian" <muiok@pacific.net.sg> wrote in message news:026701c34e62$3b723d90$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My computer crashes and I have to install all my OS and > software again. All my previous message in the outlook > cannot be import back. I back up ...

quatro pro to excel 2003
I recieved a Quatro Pro file and I saved it as excel. I have excel 2003 on my computer running on windows xp. The process I followed is: Saved the Quatro Pro Document as a 123.wks file, opened that file in excel and then saved as an excel file. The file does not work in Excel. It has some macros too. What should I do? Pls advise. -- gsingh2000 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gsingh2000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25303 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=387890 ...

personal backup files
I am trying to export Outlook backup files (.pst) to my desktop so that I can then save them on CD. When I go to open them, a message says this is not a vaild WIN32 application. Am I doing something wrong in the process? Neil Dubin Don't export but simply copy your pst-file to a CD when Outlook is closed. When you want to restore it copy it back to your harddisk and remove the "Read Only" file attribute. Then connect to it by using File-> Open-> Outlook Data File. For more info see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-O...

How do I set up Publisher to find clip art file for border art?
I have Microsoft Office2003 installed with a typical install on a HP pavillion lap top using Windows Vista. When I try to add custom border art I am offered a collection of pictures from clip art, but when I select a picture and try to insert it into the border art I get a message that says "Publisher can not find file. I have exactly the same installation on an older desktop computer running XP and I have no problem. One help file I found says that this results from moving files or installing a new hard drive - but I have done none of these things. Why can't Publisher find...

Help required on file transfer....
Hi i am Mujtaba working on file transfer application. Application should transfer and recieve files (any file any size). But i don't want to use FTP commands or WinInet classes. Could socket been used? if yes then CAsynSocket or CSocket for files what MFC class CFile of CSocketFile? My this application will run on LAN as well as on WAN. Could anybody please help me... Mujtaba The simplest way to transfer a file is to use the TransmitFile API. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/transmitfile_2.asp But it requires XP or Win2000 or bet...

Dell Quad core. Office 2007. very slow to open a file
When I click on an xlsx or docx file it takes a long, long time for it to come up. This was also true with Office 2003 so I bought a copy of Office 2007. On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 07:45:01 -0800, the Count <the Count@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I click on an xlsx or docx file it takes a long, long time for it to >come up. This was also true with Office 2003 so I bought a copy of Office >2007. Do you have a question, Your Excellency? If you have questions about .xlsx files it might be well to post them in an Excel newsgroup; there are Word groups for .docx file...

Cannot create file error. Cannot open or save tif files...please h
Error I an receiving when trying to open a tif file as follows: Cannot create file:Remittance_advice.tif.right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder I am using windows vista and office 2007 outlook I cannot open or save a tif file. I can open all other file attachments. I can forward to another pc in my office and they can open. they can rename the tif and resend to me and I can open. original name is remittance_advice.tif and renamed is remittance_advice1.tif. this just start...

Can message be directed to file folder and recipient at the same t
Trying to send message to person x and at the same time have it filed in another folder other than the "Sent" folder. Is it possible to do this? Yes it is! Click on the Options button in that email and under Delivery Options there should be a checkmark to "Save Sent Message to" and you'll see that the default displayed is Sent Items. Click the Browse button and select your folder from the list. -- K. Orland Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts - Marcus Aurelius "Jimp...&quo...

How do I convert an Excel file to a CSV file?
I am new to Excel and am trying to learn as I go. I am trying to convert my Excel Spreadsheet to an CSV file. Is there a simple way to do this? File>Save As>Save as Type In 2007 Button>Save As>Other Format>Save as Type You will find *.CSV in the list. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:21:02 -0800, beagleyt <beagleyt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am new to Excel and am trying to learn as I go. I am trying to convert my >Excel Spreadsheet to an CSV file. Is there a simple way to do this? ...

fax problems in sbs 2003
hi, i recently installed a fax modem pci on windows server 2003 small business server with exchange server and in fax(local) properties the checkbox "disable the recepetion of new faxes" is turned on and when i turn off this option and click on apply gives me a checkbox error: unexpected error, and i�m logged with the administrator account anyone can help me resolve this? thanks, You should post this to an SBS newsgroup. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Pedro Geraldes" <pedrotiago19@hotmail.com> wro...

Upgradeing a published website using ftp. Many questions
I published my website using vs2010. I checked the box that made it upgradeable. As a check I ftp copied default.aspx and default.aspx.vb to the site replacing the published files. Looks like it still works. So I can update the site files using ftp? I noticed there is no App_Code folder. Suppose I need to update something in that folder, can I? How? I also noticed there is a file: PrecompiledApp.config Might I ever want to delete that file? What is it for? Would it make sense to delete all the files and ftp the entire site to the host. Can a site be uplo...

Excel file opens MS Excel Training Webpage When the Excel file ope
I have a file that I think was originally created using the on-line MS training. Now evertime I open the excel file the web page automatically opens. It's mostly just an annouance. I was able to copy the content into a new file and it stopped this behavior but I'd love to know how it happened and/or how to turn it off in the original file. Excel 2007 - mail merge file - opens thle link below everytime I open the excel file http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?ver=12&ver=12&app=excel.exe&AssetID=RH011206001033 Thanks John ...

Outlook.pst File Size
Hi: In an effort to manage the thousands of emails that I've sent and recieved over the years I have created multiple smaller .pst files to create my own 'archive' structure. The primary reason for creating the additional .pst files was to prevent the Outlook.pst (default) file from exceeding 2 GB in size. After moving ALL of the emails out of the Outlook.pst (default) file, the file size did not decrease (>2GB). Are the emails still saved, though hidden, in the Outlook.pst (default) file even though they have been moved out of this file? The only data that...

to: MSFT.. Info rights management (IRM) Failing with office 2003
hello, I am trying to send an Email that is restricted (no forward, not printable etc) from outlook2003 through my ISP account (POP3) to an AOL account and I am running into some unique issues with the IRM functionality in Office 2003.. so here's the repro & setup, in case someone can give me a hand. the overall goal is that when we send email to people on the internet they are not able to print it out, forward it etc. regardless of email client or what they are running (we do require then install the IE6 Plug-in for IRM to view the docs) PC #1 Win XP client Office 2003 latest pat...

Reading and writing an XML file
Hello folks! I have to read an XML file, add some elements and write it back. I seem to have no problem doing the first 2 things but then I get The process cannot access the file "c:/file.xml" because it is being used by another process. ... when I try to do the third thing: saving. This is how I am doing it: XmlDocument oXml=new XmlDocument(); oXml.Load(new XmlTextReader(@"c:\file.xml")); // do the element work here oXml.Save(new XmlTextWriter(@"c:\file.xml", System.Text.Encoding.ASCII)); The error occurs right at the Save call. Any of you more experien...

import file problem
I need to import a text file every 30 minutes into SQL. The text file looks like this One, two, three One, two, three One, two, three, four, five, six, seven One, two, three One, two three, One, two, three, four So you see number of columns varies. But the SQL import wizard sets up the number of columns based the very first line of the input file. So the file on SQL looks like this: Column 1 Column2 Column3 One Two Three One Two Three One Two three, four, five, six, seven One two three One two three One two three,four ...

Employee Turnover
I'm trying to figure out the best practice for me to follow when an employee leaves our organization. The nature of our business requires that email sent to a former employee be delivered to an active employee. I can, of course, configure forwarding on the mailbox in ADUC, but we would also like an auto-reply to go out to the sender informing them of the personnel change. Additionally, we don't want to keep mailboxes for old employees indefinitely, so we need to be able to eventually delete the old mailbox while still ensuring we don't miss any messages addressed to the f...

setting up outlook 2003 connection to exchange server 2003
Hi my desktop disks crashed 7 months ago and I have been using my laptop (win 2k pro sp4 and outlook 2003 with vpn) for this time SUCCESSFULLY. I built a new desktop using win 2k SERVER (for the raid-mirror function). I am using the SAME settings to configure the outlook 2003 client in BOTH cases (hosts file in same location as in win2k pro, email account name, server name and vpn settings, authentication). in the article Q155048 the suggestion is made to ping the server, oddly enough I CANNOT ping microsoft.com nor the outsourced exchange server (time out), when the vpn is runni...

convert money plus files into money 2007
I downloaded the new trailversion of money Plus. Now I do not like the new version of money Plus . I had money 2007, but now I cannot convert my money files from the Money plus version into the Money 2007 version. What can I do? When you converted your M2007 file to M+ there was a screen message telling you that it had made a backup. You *of course* made a note of this!?!? If you didn't go and look for a file *.m16. Rename this as *.mny and reinstall M2007. Of course you will have to reinput all transactions since the conversion. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money F...

Opening separate files in excel...
When I want to open multiple files (by using the shift/ctrl key and selecting the files), I cannot get them to open in separate windows, they all open in one window and I have to go to Windows then select my file...Any suggestions?? Thanks!! Greg If you are using Excel 2000 or later, try: Tools | Options Make sure you are looking at the View Tab. Over near the right edge towards the top, you'll see a check boc for Windows in Taskbar. Make sure it is checked. If you are using Windows XP, you may have to Right-Click on your System Clock and choose Properties and turn off Group Simila...

How do I use an IF statement to pick between two lists?
=IF(b6>0(first_list,second_list)) Doesn't work. I want to automatically use a list unless there's a value entered in the field. If there is, I want to be forced to use the second list. Use a list to do what? It seems to me that you need to incorporate this within a bigger formula. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Spatton17569" <Spatton17569@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:512BBBCF-AC58-47F2-8B83-7B575FA3128F@microsoft.com... > =IF(b6>0(first_list,second_list)) > > Doesn't work. I want t...

cdo + Attachment + wave file
Hi All, I can retreive the Attachment object say for example a wave file "recording.wav" and read the actual data in the wave file from the mail using the code below Dim objSession as MAPI.Session Dim objFolder as MAPI.Folder Set objSession = CreateObject("MAPI.Session") objSession.LogOn Set objFolder = objSession.GetDefaultFolder(1) 'Inbox Set objMessage = objFolder.Messages.GetLast() Set objAttachment = objMessage.Attachments.Item(1) msg = objAttachment.Feilds(CdoPR_ATTACH_DATA_BIN).Value Now the msg has actual data "524946465E49030057415645666D742012000000...

Transferring a file between computers
When copying a workbook file (with 2 worksheets) to a floppy or zip drive, and then transferring to a different machine and pasting the workbook file, one of the worksheets (sheet 2) comes up missing. Anybody ever have this happen? I've never seen excel do anything like this. I'd double check my work--make sure I'm sending the correct file, saving the correct file, and opening the correct file. Brent wrote: > > When copying a workbook file (with 2 worksheets) to a > floppy or zip drive, and then transferring to a different > machine and pasting the workbook f...

linked files
When I open a file it says it is linked to another file. When I check the links it is linked to a file I no longer have. How do I find where the link is coming from and get rid of it. Going to the Edit Links doesn't seem to get rid of the file. Charlie C Try Bill Manville's excellent "FindLink" utility .. It's available at Stephen Bullen's page: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Def�ault.htm -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Charlie 5280" <Charlie 5280@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Migration from Exhange 2K to 2003
Is there a good migration guide on this topic? Download this Guide and read Chapter-3, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=77B6D819-C7B3-42D1- 8FBB-FE6339FFA1ED&displaylang=en That should do it! -- Mike Manjunath Microsoft Corp. "Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only." "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights." "Linda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:be7101c3ed0e$6901da40$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Is ther...