Way to do AD Query in Outlook?

We want to make an easy way for folk to look up Outlook contact/AD details
in Outlook and/or through our company intranet.

Is there a way I can either:
1) Make an AD query off of Outlook so users can click on a link and get a
fully up-to-date listing of AD users/extensions/other fields that are in AD.
2) Make a query/webpart in Sharepoint so users can do searches or lists of
the above data as well (GAL or AD user query)?

Seems pretty straightforward, using all the field in AD to store company
data and then make it easy to get to, but I don't want to have to click 'new
message' in outlook and find the name and select the name, just to get
someone's extension list... or if I want to printout a copy of the directory
to take on the road, create a custom query against AD for a one-time
report..

Any tips are appreciated!

0
csdokna (4)

I'm not really sure what you're asking - if you want to run a LDAP query
from Outlook, you can add AD as an LDAP provider really easily.  Tools |
E-Mail Accounts | Add a new directory or address book | Next | Internet
Directory Service (LDAP) | server name.

"Chris Sdonka" <csdokna@applebypass.net> wrote in message
> We want to make an easy way for folk to look up Outlook contact/AD details
> in Outlook and/or through our company intranet.
>
> Is there a way I can either:
> 1) Make an AD query off of Outlook so users can click on a link and get a
> fully up-to-date listing of AD users/extensions/other fields that are in
> AD.
> 2) Make a query/webpart in Sharepoint so users can do searches or lists of
> the above data as well (GAL or AD user query)?
>
> Seems pretty straightforward, using all the field in AD to store company
> data and then make it easy to get to, but I don't want to have to click
> 'new message' in outlook and find the name and select the name, just to
> get someone's extension list... or if I want to printout a copy of the
> directory to take on the road, create a custom query against AD for a
> one-time report..
>
> Any tips are appreciated!

0
missy5697 (66)
7/13/2006 9:38:03 PM
Missy, The reason I don't want to add it as an address book is that if you
open up the Global Address List, it's already querying AD for all the user
account details... problem is, it's so combersome to find your way into the
GAL just to look up a phone number or user detail, and sometimes you want to
print out a list of the details that are in the GAL for multiple users and
that's not possible...

What I want to do is make either a shortcut in Outlook that can do an LDAP
query of all my users (username, office location, phone numbers, etc...), or
find some way within our Sharepoint environment to do the same, or pull the
GAL details out of Outlook through the users' mapi connection to exchange.
I can't be the only person out there that wants an employee directory that
doesn't require someone to manually type in users real names, phone #,
etc..and then manually keep it updated with the details that have already
been entered into AD...

Chris

"Missy Koslosky [MVP]" <missy@dontspammebuddy.mvps.org> wrote in message
> I'm not really sure what you're asking - if you want to run a LDAP query
> from Outlook, you can add AD as an LDAP provider really easily.  Tools |
> E-Mail Accounts | Add a new directory or address book | Next | Internet
> Directory Service (LDAP) | server name.
>
> "Chris Sdonka" <csdokna@applebypass.net> wrote in message
>> We want to make an easy way for folk to look up Outlook contact/AD
>> details in Outlook and/or through our company intranet.
>>
>> Is there a way I can either:
>> 1) Make an AD query off of Outlook so users can click on a link and get a
>> fully up-to-date listing of AD users/extensions/other fields that are in
>> AD.
>> 2) Make a query/webpart in Sharepoint so users can do searches or lists
>> of the above data as well (GAL or AD user query)?
>>
>> Seems pretty straightforward, using all the field in AD to store company
>> data and then make it easy to get to, but I don't want to have to click
>> 'new message' in outlook and find the name and select the name, just to
>> get someone's extension list... or if I want to printout a copy of the
>> directory to take on the road, create a custom query against AD for a
>> one-time report..
>>
>> Any tips are appreciated!

0
csdokna (4)
7/14/2006 1:37:42 PM
Hey Chris,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I guess I don't quite get what is behind your
desire for this. Are you looking to create a simple phone directory?  I'm
confused as to why Outlook isn't serving this need well - it's certainly
what we do.

If you want to pull details from AD and get them into printed form, that
shouldn't be hard to do.

Missy

> Missy, The reason I don't want to add it as an address book is that if you
> open up the Global Address List, it's already querying AD for all the user
> account details... problem is, it's so combersome to find your way into
> the GAL just to look up a phone number or user detail, and sometimes you
> want to print out a list of the details that are in the GAL for multiple
> users and that's not possible...
>
> What I want to do is make either a shortcut in Outlook that can do an LDAP
> query of all my users (username, office location, phone numbers, etc...),
> or find some way within our Sharepoint environment to do the same, or pull
> the GAL details out of Outlook through the users' mapi connection to
> exchange. I can't be the only person out there that wants an employee
> directory that doesn't require someone to manually type in users real
> names, phone #, etc..and then manually keep it updated with the details
> that have already been entered into AD...
>
> Chris
>
> "Missy Koslosky [MVP]" <missy@dontspammebuddy.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> I'm not really sure what you're asking - if you want to run a LDAP query
>> from Outlook, you can add AD as an LDAP provider really easily.  Tools |
>> E-Mail Accounts | Add a new directory or address book | Next | Internet
>> Directory Service (LDAP) | server name.
>>
>> "Chris Sdonka" <csdokna@applebypass.net> wrote in message
>>> We want to make an easy way for folk to look up Outlook contact/AD
>>> details in Outlook and/or through our company intranet.
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can either:
>>> 1) Make an AD query off of Outlook so users can click on a link and get
>>> a fully up-to-date listing of AD users/extensions/other fields that are
>>> in AD.
>>> 2) Make a query/webpart in Sharepoint so users can do searches or lists
>>> of the above data as well (GAL or AD user query)?
>>>
>>> Seems pretty straightforward, using all the field in AD to store company
>>> data and then make it easy to get to, but I don't want to have to click
>>> 'new message' in outlook and find the name and select the name, just to
>>> get someone's extension list... or if I want to printout a copy of the
>>> directory to take on the road, create a custom query against AD for a
>>> one-time report..
>>>
>>> Any tips are appreciated!

0
missy5697 (66)

Adding lines automatically #2
I'll be very specific..... This is what i want, given the following data: VB200 Apr 80,201 24,060 May 80,201 24,060 Jun 24,060 24,060 Jul 24,060 24,060 Aug Sep Oct Act - 81,568 45,376 - DCM1375 Apr 1,003 80,201 24,060 May 80,201 24,060 Jun 24,060 24,060 Jul 24,060 24 Aug Sep Oct Act Now given this data, how do i add 5 or so lines in between each product (the products being VB...

2nd Posting
Haven't had an answer to this one, so I'll try again, I really need some pointers: I've got a query that I'm not sure how to develop. My tables: Quotes - QuoteNo, RaisedBy, Customer QuoteItems - RecordID, QuoteNo, PartNo, Lifecycle, Value There's a one-to-many relationship between Quotes and QuoteItems, i.e. one quote can have many items. I need to run a query to show a list of quotes with totals from the QuoteItems table i.e. QuoteNo, RaisedBy, Customer, List of PartNos, List of Lifecycles, TotalValue I haven't got a clue how to start this, I know it needs to b...

Best Way ?
G'day All, Looking for some information. With Outlook you can have all your contacts...address, email address, yada, yada, yada. Can I use this information in to say mail merge with Word and email a letter to the ppl with email addresses? Or is this better done with a Access? The reason I ask is that we want to deliver an email to all our clients with the latest promotions. And want it to be a bit more automated? Any information or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Have a good one, Scott V You can use either Access or Outlook as the data source for a ma...

A way to create sub-categories?

Printing options within Outlook
I've got two Office XP printing questions for the newsgroup. 1. Is there a way to print only the content of an e-mail message without having to save it as a .rtf file and editing it? The goal is to print the message without the header information. 2. When printing calendar items that were sent to a large group of people, how do you print the "To:" field. In XP, it appears that this field is not printed after a certain number of recipients are reached. Any help would be appreciated. I can be e-mailed at: greg dot vassar at aaipharma dot com ...

Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels?
Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels? No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "isailhbca" <isailhbca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DBD10F7-FAA0-4102-A4C3-E2697908EFE8@microsoft.com... >...

exporting email from outlook express to microsoft outlook 2003
I have several email accounts on outlook express. When I try to import them to the new accounts I set up in Outlook, all the email/addresses/etc. from one of my accounts (the default email account in Express) goes into each new Outlook account. How can I import just the email from one account into a new account? "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08C323C8-BF1D-44CF-863D-02E9E7341A46@microsoft.com... >I have several email accounts on outlook express. When I try to import them > to the new accounts I set up in Outlook, all the email/addres...

is there a way to crop a corner out of a rectangular image in Visi
Using subtract on two shapes accomplishes what i want to do, but when the first shape is a .gif image, it does not work. No, the "boolean operations", as they're called, do not operate on foreign objects like bitmaps and controls. Visio has crop functionality for imported graphics, but it is only rectangular. You could draw a small white triangle and give it "no line". Then place it over the corner of your bitmap. -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "doug" <doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29D479A6-6099-4051-B7A0-1...

Outlook 2003
I have a user who is reporting that whilst creating a new mail/ replying to a mail, it will occassionally blank out all the text in the mail. If he minimizes or maximizes the mail he can breifly see all the text he has typed, but it dissapears straight away. I've not managed to recreate teh problem myself, but am hoping this is a general issue with a simple answer. Thanks in advance. ...

Outlook not displaying holidays
I am using Outlook 2000 and have elected the option to display holidays. The only place I can see a listing of holidays is in the catagory view and then nothing past the end of 2003. Is there something I am not doing to make this happen. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Skip >-----Original Message----- >I am using Outlook 2000 and have elected the option to >display holidays. The only place I can see a listing of >holidays is in the catagory view and then nothing past the >end of 2003. Is there something I am not doing to make >this happen. > >Tha...

Query regarding A,B,C char. width values returned in 16-bit and 32-bit OS
I am trying to retrieve individual character widths of a string (from a TrueType font) and I tried using GetCharWidth (which weirdly works for TrueType fonts too tho' MSDN says otherwise) and/or GetCharABCWidths to retrieve the A,B and C spacings. Please note that I have selected the TrueType font (hFont) into the Device Context (hDC). I used GetCharABCWidths. Problem is this: GetCharABCWidths returns correct A,B and C widths in Win 98 and incorrect (much lesser A,B and C widths such that the characters OVERLAP) in other 32-bit OS (NT, XP). The effect is seen across all TrueType fonts, th...

is there a way to change the time card repor format?
i'm using activereports in RMS to generate a custome timecard report. for my timein and timeout colums, the datatype i have assigned to the columns is vbDate. when I generate the report, the columns only show the date as mm/dd/yyyy, they do not show the time of day piece for exactly when the cashier punched in or out. is there any way to change the formatting of this so that in the report the time shows up? for example, instead of showing 2/6/2005 in the time in column, it would show 2/5/2005 8:00:00 AM. thanks in advance, kevin There is a timecard report on the Reports Library...

Archiving Errors in Outlook 2000
Hello there: I am having trouble autoarchiving a users mailbox. I get the same error if I try and archive the sent items or the inbox. I also get this error when trying to export to a .pst file. Error trying to archive inbox. The items either have been moved or deleted. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? It is outlook 2000 on a Exchange Server 5.5 Thanks Rebecca ...

Adding new pages

Outlook 2007 Rules Do not work 01-26-10
I have just upgraded outlook 2003 to outlook 2007. I am running Xp. I have a number of email accounts coming through to my outlook. I want the mail that is addressed to one of my work email accounts to be moved automatically to another sub folder of my inbox. I have tried deleting them and starting from scratch, removing any client machine specific rules and using server based rules etc and I am still stuck, I have seen a lot of posts about this problem but no real solutions. Any ideas would be very gratefully received This all used to work so well with outlook 2003 but ...

Outlook & Outlook Express on same PC
I had both Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express on my PC with Windows 98. Each was connected to different email accounts and had different messages. I want the same set up on my new PC with Windows XP Home edition. But I could only find one pst file. It had the data from Outlook. How can I find the data for the Outlook Express folders? Thank you in advance. cp OE stores data in a different file structure to OL http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ should help David "cp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01b901c3d897$6e31e1d0$a301280a@phx.gbl... >...

best way to deserialize xml
I'm at a quandry as to what's the best/fastest way to deserialize an incoming xml stream? I ran a small test on xmlserializer and on a small file it performed 10 times worse then when I used the XMLDocument and deserialized the values myself. Is the xmlserializer really that slow? I'm expecting a file about 1 MB in length and if it's that slow on a 2 K file then I can't phantom how it's going to behave on a 1 MB file. Should I just skip the xmlserializer and XML Dom and go straight to xmlreader and do the deserialization myself? This has been discussed a few times...

Can You Count This Way?
I have some cells with note type data: For ex: ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, Is there a way to count every item between the commas? Thanks. Hi try =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")+LEN(A1)>0 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Timothy Wright wrote: > I have some cells with note type data: > > For ex: > > ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, > > Is there a way to count every item between the commas? > > Thanks. On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:13:53 +0200, "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote: >Hi >try >=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,&q...

Adding macro to checkbox
Hi, I am trying to add a macro to a check box in such a way that clicking on the box makes the macro run while un-clicking the box makes the macro "un-run" or return things to how they were. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance for your help! You could have the first step in the macro check the checkbox's value, and branch either to a "do" or "undo" routine. If your checkbox is from the forms toolbar: Public Sub Checkbox1_Click() If Sheet1.DrawingObjects("Check box 1").Value > 0 Then 'Do Stuff E...

Outlook 2003 Compatibility #2
Can Outlook 2003 be installed on a computer with Windows ME Operating System? "Les" <lester123_nospam@comcast.net> wrote: >Can Outlook 2003 be installed on a computer with Windows ME Operating >System? nope ...

Is there a way to Sort data by color in Excel?
I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? see http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH Bob Phillips "SRTUC" <SRTUC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5121232-FB1D-46AF-94F8-04B7EAA2D90C@microsoft.com... > I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? You're gonna need a User defined function to get the value of a color. See Chip Pearson's site for a nice version: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm Look for: Returning The ColorIndex Of A Cell Then you could use that UDF in a separate colu...

Outlook Express toolbar keeps resizing.
After my Outlook Express sits open for while the toolbar's size increases to the point that it starts drop selection options from the screen. Anyone run into that before? Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Du...

cleaning up exchange from AD?
I need to delete an exchange 2003 server and i want to make sure that = ALL references to exchange or mail management are deleted from active = directory. How can i do this? Is there some AD cleaning tool out there? Do you have other Exchange servers? As long as this is not the first Exchange server in the org, simply running Exchange setup and choosing Uninstall should do the trick for you. Otherwise, you'll probably want to look at http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html and keep in mind that the schema has already been extended ...

Pivot Table Query crashes access 2007
Until recently I was able to create pivot table queries, now for some reason I am unable to. I create my query as per normal, then change the view to Pivot table view and access crashes, stops responding, and restarts. I think this is as a result of the updates for office that were downloaded and installed today. Otherwise, were can I go check to make sure I have all the correct add-ins, etc installed and activated, I doubt this is the cause though as I have not changed anything. I have also tested this in multiple databases and all of them crash. I am running Vista Business and Offi...