virus attacks against Exchange

I've noticed over the last month that every Sunday morning at 5:45 a.m. our
Exchange server
sends a CPU warning.  When I check the app event log for that date/time
there is a *huge* amount of
virus detections by our real time virus monitor .  What exactly is going on
here and how
might I prevent this from continuing to happen  ?

thanks

0
chrism

sounds like you have an "on demand" scan of your mailbox store scheduled for
this time frame...have you checked?  look in the configuration of your
Exchange AV...

"chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
> I've noticed over the last month that every Sunday morning at 5:45 a.m.
our
> Exchange server
> sends a CPU warning.  When I check the app event log for that date/time
> there is a *huge* amount of
> virus detections by our real time virus monitor .  What exactly is going
on
> here and how
> might I prevent this from continuing to happen  ?
>
> thanks

0
susan7353 (1225)
9/27/2004 4:11:25 PM
What do you mean "real-time"? Are you using a file level AV program?
What is your AV app?

--
Martin Blackstone
MVP - Exchange

http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
"chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
> I've noticed over the last month that every Sunday morning at 5:45 a.m.
> our Exchange server
> sends a CPU warning.  When I check the app event log for that date/time
> there is a *huge* amount of
> virus detections by our real time virus monitor .  What exactly is going
> on here and how
> might I prevent this from continuing to happen  ?
>
> thanks

0
exchangemvp (657)
9/27/2004 4:23:55 PM
The real time file system scan monitor of the Symantec Corporate Edition
client 8.

thx,
chris

,"Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23lIjc6KpEHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> What do you mean "real-time"? Are you using a file level AV program?
> What is your AV app?
>
> --
> Martin Blackstone
> MVP - Exchange
>
> http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
>

> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
> "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
>> I've noticed over the last month that every Sunday morning at 5:45 a.m.
>> our Exchange server
>> sends a CPU warning.  When I check the app event log for that date/time
>> there is a *huge* amount of
>> virus detections by our real time virus monitor .  What exactly is going
>> on here and how
>> might I prevent this from continuing to happen  ?
>>
>> thanks

0
chrism
9/27/2004 5:58:02 PM
OK. That's a no no. If you want to run a file level AV program on your
Exchange server, be sure you set it up to exclude the \Exchsrvr folders. Not
doing this could result in a log file being deleted or quarantined, and
bring down your server.
Then you want to make sure you have a real Exchange AV program on there as
well.

That will get you all nice and secure.

--

> The real time file system scan monitor of the Symantec Corporate Edition
> client 8.
>
> thx,
> chris
>

> ,"Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%23lIjc6KpEHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> What do you mean "real-time"? Are you using a file level AV program?
>> What is your AV app?
>>
>> --
>> Martin Blackstone
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
>>

>> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
>> "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
>>> I've noticed over the last month that every Sunday morning at 5:45 a.m.
>>> our Exchange server
>>> sends a CPU warning.  When I check the app event log for that date/time
>>> there is a *huge* amount of
>>> virus detections by our real time virus monitor .  What exactly is going
>>> on here and how
>>> might I prevent this from continuing to happen  ?
>>>
>>> thanks

0
exchangemvp (657)
9/27/2004 6:52:18 PM
"Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>OK. That's a no no. If you want to run a file level AV program on your
>Exchange server, be sure you set it up to exclude the \Exchsrvr folders.

And, if he's running Exchange 2000, the M: drive!

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:eTxCeMMpEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> OK. That's a no no. If you want to run a file level AV program on your
> Exchange server, be sure you set it up to exclude the \Exchsrvr folders.
> Not doing this could result in a log file being deleted or quarantined,
> and bring down your server.
> Then you want to make sure you have a real Exchange AV program on there as
> well.
>
> That will get you all nice and secure.
>
> --
> Martin Blackstone
> MVP - Exchange
>
> http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
>

> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
> "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
>> The real time file system scan monitor of the Symantec Corporate Edition
>> client 8.
>>
>> thx,
>> chris
>>

>> ,"Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote in
>> message news:%23lIjc6KpEHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> What do you mean "real-time"? Are you using a file level AV program?
>>> What is your AV app?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Martin Blackstone
>>> MVP - Exchange
>>>
>>> http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
>>>

>>> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
>>> "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message

0
chrism
9/28/2004 6:30:47 PM
you shoudl be running AV that is for Exchange...if you run file-level, you
must exclude all Exchsrvr folders, or you will have big problems...and
file-level AV will not protect you from email-borne viruses...

> so it's recommended *not* to have any virus protection on the Exchange
> server itself ?
> That sounds very dangerous.
>

> "Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote in
> message news:eTxCeMMpEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > OK. That's a no no. If you want to run a file level AV program on your
> > Exchange server, be sure you set it up to exclude the \Exchsrvr folders.
> > Not doing this could result in a log file being deleted or quarantined,
> > and bring down your server.
> > Then you want to make sure you have a real Exchange AV program on there
as
> > well.
> >
> > That will get you all nice and secure.
> >
> > --
> > Martin Blackstone
> > MVP - Exchange
> >
> > http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
> >

> > http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
> > "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
> >> The real time file system scan monitor of the Symantec Corporate
Edition
> >> client 8.
> >>
> >> thx,
> >> chris
> >>

> >> ,"Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote in
> >> message news:%23lIjc6KpEHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

0
susan7353 (1225)
9/28/2004 6:37:50 PM
No, its recommended  that you run an Exchange aware antivirus program.
I prefer Trend Scanmail or Sybari Antigen.

--
Martin Blackstone
MVP - Exchange

http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
"chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
> so it's recommended *not* to have any virus protection on the Exchange
> server itself ?
> That sounds very dangerous.
>

> "Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote in
> message news:eTxCeMMpEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> OK. That's a no no. If you want to run a file level AV program on your
>> Exchange server, be sure you set it up to exclude the \Exchsrvr folders.
>> Not doing this could result in a log file being deleted or quarantined,
>> and bring down your server.
>> Then you want to make sure you have a real Exchange AV program on there
>> as well.
>>
>> That will get you all nice and secure.
>>
>> --
>> Martin Blackstone
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
>>

>> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
>> "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
>>> The real time file system scan monitor of the Symantec Corporate Edition
>>> client 8.
>>>
>>> thx,
>>> chris
>>>

>>> ,"Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote in
>>> message news:%23lIjc6KpEHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

0
exchangemvp (657)
9/28/2004 6:38:53 PM
Argh!!! That's not what *anyone* would have said....

The best policy, IMHO, is to have the following:

1) an AV package that will do a file level scan at regular intervals. The
key here is that the scan should exclude the *EXCHANGE* directories. You can
get more specific about the directories to exclude if you go to the vendor's
site. They should have a list of what to exclude. I know that Symantec has
one. If not, exclude the Exchange directories on mass.

2) Turn off the "Real Time" protection. This, at a minimum will slow down
things (every file that is opened will be scanned first). At worst, you
could have problems with Exchange files. I'm assuming here that users cannot
write directly to the server. If you *do* allow this (and I'd recommend you
change that), then restrict the Real Time protection to only the directories
that users can write to.

3) Install an Exchange aware AV plug in that wills scan e-mails before
delivering them.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
> so it's recommended *not* to have any virus protection on the Exchange
> server itself ?
> That sounds very dangerous.
>

> "Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote in
> message news:eTxCeMMpEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> OK. That's a no no. If you want to run a file level AV program on your
>> Exchange server, be sure you set it up to exclude the \Exchsrvr folders.
>> Not doing this could result in a log file being deleted or quarantined,
>> and bring down your server.
>> Then you want to make sure you have a real Exchange AV program on there
>> as well.
>>
>> That will get you all nice and secure.
>>
>> --
>> Martin Blackstone
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
>>

>> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm
>> "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
>>> The real time file system scan monitor of the Symantec Corporate Edition
>>> client 8.
>>>
>>> thx,
>>> chris
>>>

>>> ,"Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange]" <ExchangeMVP@gmail.com> wrote in
>>> message news:%23lIjc6KpEHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

0
rasilon1 (689)

Outlook in Exchange environment
I've been asked to set up Exchange Server 2003 and implement it so that users from both inside and outside our company can access it. I've played with Exchange's web access client and that is working fine. What I'm testing now is Outlook installed on individual workstations. Can Outlook 2003 be configured so that it communicates and displays only information (mail, contacts, calendars, and the such) that is stored on the Exchange server. That is, when I install Outlook and it by default creates a personal folder on the local hard drive, must I keep this or can I delete it and ...

Viruses
I heard that Outlook is not really as risky as one would think about getting a virus attack and that Outlook Express is what is usally attacked. Is there any truth to that? Can anyone share any experiences they have had with virus attacks and Outlook? Please tell us your version number too. Thanks These two articles will give you a clue as to which versions of Outlook are most at-risk. Short version: if you use a current version and have all updates installed, you are quite safe from everything except your own stupidity. http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050120.htm#preview http...

"exchange domain servers" group query
Currently I have a forest with one parent domain and 4 child domains. We have recently added a second DC to all the child domains. Their ability to do exchange stuff is broken, they just come up with RPC errors. I think I fixed that by installing the System Manager on them. Looking at the Exchange Domain Servers group on the parent domain, it has the Exchange server as a member, looking at the same groups on the child domains, it just has the one original domain controller that each child domain had. Now that we have a second DC in each child domain, should they be in that Exchange Dom...

Exchange 2003 Page File
I am trying to find the best practices for setting up page files on Exchange 2003. I have read things like memory x 1.5 or memory x 2 or even higher. I have read about putting the pagefiles in multiple directories on the same physical drive (there is a technet article on this) - but nothing that pulls it all together. Like a mailbox server with 4 gB ram. Mirrored C: (OS) Mirrored D: (logs) RAID E: (data) - where would I put the page fiels, and how many woudl I create? Do we ever let the system manage the page file? Would the same thing happen on a bridgehead or public folder server? Ho...

Ipad to exchange from outside the local network. Options?
We've got a very small exchange system consisting of 4 email accounts (SBS 2003). 2 of users have blackberries and we have BIS installed. We are no looking at ipod touch's and ipads as another way to access our email. This works great when you are on the LAN or at one of our persistant VPN'd locations, but does not work "off the network" I've tried to get the apple devices to VPN through our Checkpoint VPN-1 EDGE firewalls but am not having much luck. This would be optimal since it's secur and would place these devices on the network and then the emai...

Re: Exchange 5.5 connector??
Oops...I meant "Specify by email domain"... "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message news:... > you would have to configure the second IMS on another server...but you can > specify on the IMS where to send email for a specific domain...On the > "Connections" tab, click on "Specify by host"... > > "Jack Black" <JackBlack@hat.com> wrote in message > news:%23yYwaM38EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > > No, I didn't. Would that work? > > > > I just want to route SMTP traffic that goes to "...

Backing up Exchange using NTBackup
Hi. I have been backing up my exchange server using ntbackup (to disk the tape). The backups are reporting 100% success, log files getting purged etc. As a dr plan I created a test environment and ran a backup exactly as I am doing on production server. When I am trying to restore however I am having a problem. The problem seems to be they way I am backing up. When doing a backup using ntbackup all that I have read says that I should disable volume shadow copy. However, when I get to that option it is greyed out (on live and test environment) - I am not selecting anything else in the same bac...

ntbackup version for exchange
How do I know if I have the version of ntbackup that works with exchange? If I don't have it, where can I get it? We are running Backoffice 2003. Thanks for all info. If you have exchange installed, you have it. If you need to run the backup from a remote server, you need to install the Exchange Admin Tools on that other server (if memory serves correctly). "LAByerly" <LAByerly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DEB3C756-C96F-4CBE-9BAB-D3A3B941207D@microsoft.com... > How do I know if I have the version of ntbackup that works with exchange? > If...

Exchange Server, PDC and BDC
I have a exchange server 2003 connecting to a PDC and BDC which is running in windows server 2003 and 2000. If my PDC is crashed, the BDC should be taking over the role from PDC. But how do I check whether the BDC is working fine or not?Please assist. Regards, Ng With AD there really isn't a PDC and BDC anymore. What you need to make sure is that both DCs point to each other for DNS and that Exchange points to both of them. Then make sure both are also GCs. Shut one off and see if Exchange still runs. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

MTA RPC errors after removing an Exchange Server
Hello, I recently removed an Exchange 2000 Server from our organization by running the remove option from the Exchange CDROM. Everything was fine however since I did this the new Exchange 2003 cluster server that has taken over logs the following event every 10 minutes exactly: Calling client thread does not have permission to use MTA RPCs. Windows 2000 error code: 0X80070005. Client user account: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON. [BASE IL INCOMING RPC 28 237] (14) I have rebooted the new machine and confirmed that the old mailserver is removed from the Exchange organization. Does anyon...

Exchange #5
We are planning to implement Exchange as our chosen email system. We would like to utilise more than one domain name for our users. Is this possible? Secondly, on the assumption that we can have more than one domain name, can a user have more than one account; ie one in each domain name? Would the user then be able to toggle between the two or more accounts to view/send emails on each one? Peter, One user has one mailbox only, and can have multiple SMTP email accounts. There is no need for multiple user accounts and mailboxes. Cheers... "Peter Gillard" <petergillard...

Outlook Web Access stops working after loading SP2 on Exchange 2003
My outlook web access was fine until I loaded SP2 on my Exchange 2003 server. Since then, the folders don't show properly and it says loading but doesn't load. The links to the folders (inbox, calendar, etc, can be clicked but nothing shows up. This server was fine until SP2 was loaded. This problem exists inside and outside the network. you can try to recreate the owa folders. take a look at this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883380/en-us "Mazzard" <george@cnrnet.net> wrote in message news:1168234257.174862.124390@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com... > My outl...

AVG Virus software
Hi, I use the free version of AVG. When I looked at my VIRUS VAULT I saw about 10 entries, some described as virus, but I am not sure what to do to get rid of these things. Do I select EMPTY VAULT or else select each item and click on DELETE ? Thanks, Peter Since it's not part of Windows XP, you would ask here: http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum "Peter Buttuls" <ye025@victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message news:%23dhtl4%23hKHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... : Hi, : I use the free version of AVG. When I looked at my VIRUS VAULT I saw about : 10 entr...

Upgrade to Exchange
Hi, If I upgrade to exchange 2003 from Windows server 2003 standard how can I make sure that each user gets a mailbox without going to each user, right clicking and creating a mail box? Can I do it by group policy or is there a script somewhere? Thanks you do not upgrade from Windows 2003 to Exchange 2003...Windows 2003 is an OS...Exchange 2003 is an email application...you do not have email boxes, now? "Andrew" <andrew@sdfghjk.com> wrote in message news:BDDA41BF.21691%andrew@sdfghjk.com... > Hi, > > If I upgrade to exchange 2003 from Windows server 2003 standar...

Virus e-mails
I posted a Question Oct 4 at 11:45 PM "Balanced or Mixed Asset Funds" Sence then my e-mail address has received hundreds of virus carrying e-mails every day some purported to be from Microsoft or Postmaster, etc. My virus S/W deleted them and I don't run .exe e-mail attachments. My e-mail is overloaded and useless. Only the e-mail given to this newsgroup is effected. Why are our e-mail addresses included in the post? To whom should I report this? It is not just this newsgroup. The spammers have software that scans all the newsgroups and pull out anything that look...

Need to add a new domain to existing Exchange server
I have a client who had been running Exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server in an AD environment for 2 years. They have a domain for their company that tthey send and receive mail with. They are now integrating into a holding company and want to create a second domain for their holding company and send and receive e-mail from that domain using the existing Exchange Server as well. Their new domain is not a child domain. It is completely separate from the other domain. How do I setup Exchange and their infrastructure so that they can send and receive e-mail from two separate domains usi...

Microsoft Exchange Server
Can anyone help me understand the Microsoft Exchange Server installation process? I have Windows XP and Office XP (2002), and have Outlook installed and running. However, I'd like to be able to use the features of Microsoft Exchange Server under Outlook - e.g. sharing the calendar. When I activate the Mail icon in the Control Panel and choose Microsoft Exchange Server, I have to input the name of "your Microsoft Exchange Server computer. For information, see your system administrator" - I AM THE SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR!!!!! It's a small home computer network. Nowhere I hav...

Exchange Internet Identity
Hello, i have an issue/question. i have exchange server 2003 that was installed on localhost.domain and then configured to collect email for internetdomain.com. Now, here it the problem, when email goes out, in the headers i have localhost.domain instead of my real internetdomain.com. That causes problems with some servers that can't obviously resolve localhost.domain. Any pointers or tips how to change Exchange public identity would be great! Thank you much for your input You can change fqdn in SMTP virtual server | properties | Delivery | Advanced. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www...

Virus like behaviour but no virus
G'day Hope I can get some help with this one 1)Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 2) I have scanned the server for viruses using two reputable brands and no virus has been detected. I have an Exchange compatible virus scanner; no viruses. 3) The SMTP service is running; The Exchange Virtual SMTP server is stopped. 4) As soon as the virtual SMTP server is started my link is flooded with outbound traffic. If I then pause the virtual server the flooding continues. If I stop the virtual SMTP server the flooding stops. 5) I cannot see anything in the queues. Getting desperate so any suggesti...

Titan Exchange Integration
I was wondering if there was better integration with Exchange in terms of calendar data being integrated and such. CRM 4.0 will offer the ability to sync other activity type into Outlook tasks. -- Matt Parks MVP - Dynamics CRM "mlnetcor" <mlnetcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F09B113-6659-40E5-B2E4-9BA7EB67EB6A@microsoft.com... I was wondering if there was better integration with Exchange in terms of calendar data being integrated and such. Do you know if this will be a back end function or will you need to use an Outlook client. "Matt P...

Exchange 2003
Dear MS, Could you please add the ability to create a default company signature via Exchagne 2003 that would pull a users information from AD and populate the signature directly? We would like to streamline what our employees signatures look like and control it from one place. If this is already possible, please post back with instructions. Best Regards, Mike ISO Group On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:44:02 -0700, ISO Mike <ISOMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Dear MS, > >Could you please add the ability to create a default company signature via >Exchagne 2003 that wou...

Reading mailbox items with minimum Exchange
Hi, I need a way to read mailbox data (through a program) from an unmounted store with minimal dependency on Exchange. The store is located (copied) on a Windows 2000 Server machine without Exchange installed yet. What I am seeking is a solution that does not effect the rest of active directory/network by creating duplicates or conflicts and does not require full fledged Exchange running i.e. ideally only few required Exchange Dlls installed. So, whats the best that could work in this scenario. Umar Hi Umar, if you're using Exchange 2K3 you could mount the store in the Recover...

Exchange SP2 #4
Mistakenly installed SP2 without SP1 on the server. Since the install and reboot that followed, there are issues of periodic sluggishness/ bordering on a (not responding) error for users. This isn't constant for all users but more like a floating problem affecting different users at different times. Does anyone know of a remedy for this? Exchange SPs are cumulative, so it shouldn't matter. You need to start troubleshooting - use tools like ExMon or the Performance Troubleshooting Analyzer. Or plain old Performance Monitor of course. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msex...

Create a Rule on the Exchange Server?
Hey guys, i am looking to create a rule that will run a script whenever I receive an email from a certain person. I know this is possible on the client side. Is there a way to enforce this rule on the server itself without have the client open? If anyone has any ideas, or workarounds let me know. Thanks! On Thu, 25 May 2006 17:14:21 GMT, rhalljr <spam2005account@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hey guys, i am looking to create a rule that will run a script whenever >I receive an email from a certain person. I know this is possible on >the client side. Is there a way to enforce t...