Using Exchange Server 2003 EE as a Calendar Server

Dear Professionals,

First of all, I'm not professional in Exchange server .
I want to deploy a calendar server to manage events, meeting requests,
individual calendars of employees and so on. I decided to install Exchange
server 2003 EE for that. Now, I have two questions:

1)- How to achieve this task (main steps).
2)- Is it possible to use this feature without creating mailboxes for users
but just  create mail addresses (in the future, I may plan to switch
corporate mail server to exchange instead of Linux)?

Thanks and Regards,
Tamer Shaalan.

the only calendar you can have without a mailbox would be a public folder
calendar, but Exchange seems a bit of an overkill for what you want...I'm
sure there are calendaring applications out there that would better suit
your needs...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Tamer Shaalan" <TamerShaalan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Professionals,
>
> First of all, I'm not professional in Exchange server .
> I want to deploy a calendar server to manage events, meeting requests,
> individual calendars of employees and so on. I decided to install Exchange
> server 2003 EE for that. Now, I have two questions:
>
> 1)- How to achieve this task (main steps).
> 2)- Is it possible to use this feature without creating mailboxes for
users
> but just  create mail addresses (in the future, I may plan to switch
> corporate mail server to exchange instead of Linux)?
>

> Thanks and Regards,
> Tamer Shaalan.

0
sconkey (3059)
5/31/2006 3:07:38 PM
Tamer,

From your breif description below it sounds like you are looking for the
full implementation of Exchange in your environment.  Users have mailboxes
where the calendaring information for each user is stored.  That information
is synched with the Server itself for other users to see based on the client
publishing rules.  By default for Outlook it is 2 months of data to be
published for everyone to access.  This is configurable and controlable
through a GPO as well.

So from reading your comments below I don't know how to answer your question
since I don't know how your plan for users to access Exchange.  You could
also use public folders but again your comments kind of lead be to believe
you are really looking to have all the features of a full implementation.

Hope this helps.

"Tamer Shaalan" wrote:

> Dear Professionals,
>
> First of all, I'm not professional in Exchange server .
> I want to deploy a calendar server to manage events, meeting requests,
> individual calendars of employees and so on. I decided to install Exchange
> server 2003 EE for that. Now, I have two questions:
>
> 1)- How to achieve this task (main steps).
> 2)- Is it possible to use this feature without creating mailboxes for users
> but just  create mail addresses (in the future, I may plan to switch
> corporate mail server to exchange instead of Linux)?
>

> Thanks and Regards,
> Tamer Shaalan.
I agree with Susan here...exchange ent edition is massive overkill...if all
you need is shared calendars you can do that for free with windows live mail
(hotmail).

"Kalvin Koether" wrote:

> Tamer,
>
> From your breif description below it sounds like you are looking for the
> full implementation of Exchange in your environment.  Users have mailboxes
> where the calendaring information for each user is stored.  That information
> is synched with the Server itself for other users to see based on the client
> publishing rules.  By default for Outlook it is 2 months of data to be
> published for everyone to access.  This is configurable and controlable
> through a GPO as well.
>
> So from reading your comments below I don't know how to answer your question
> since I don't know how your plan for users to access Exchange.  You could
> also use public folders but again your comments kind of lead be to believe
> you are really looking to have all the features of a full implementation.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "Tamer Shaalan" wrote:
>
> > Dear Professionals,
> >
> > First of all, I'm not professional in Exchange server .
> > I want to deploy a calendar server to manage events, meeting requests,
> > individual calendars of employees and so on. I decided to install Exchange
> > server 2003 EE for that. Now, I have two questions:
> >
> > 1)- How to achieve this task (main steps).
> > 2)- Is it possible to use this feature without creating mailboxes for users
> > but just  create mail addresses (in the future, I may plan to switch
> > corporate mail server to exchange instead of Linux)?
> >

> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Tamer Shaalan.
0
knightly (222)
5/31/2006 5:52:02 PM
Hello,

I know that Exchange 2003 EE is much more than what I need, but what is the
other calendar software/programs that give the same calendaring options
(especially for meeting request where outlook gives calendars of others and
simply & quickly you can determine the suitable schedule for all meeting
members)?

If any one here know such a program, please tell me (free is prefered).

another reason, it is a good chance to (deal/try) exchange and if it worth
to switch mails to it, I may do.

Thanks,

Tamer Shaalan.

"Tamer Shaalan" wrote:

> Dear Professionals,
>
> First of all, I'm not professional in Exchange server .
> I want to deploy a calendar server to manage events, meeting requests,
> individual calendars of employees and so on. I decided to install Exchange
> server 2003 EE for that. Now, I have two questions:
>
> 1)- How to achieve this task (main steps).
> 2)- Is it possible to use this feature without creating mailboxes for users
> but just  create mail addresses (in the future, I may plan to switch
> corporate mail server to exchange instead of Linux)?
>

> Thanks and Regards,
> Tamer Shaalan.
There's lots of stuff out there, if you google it...

http://www.calendarzone.com/Software/

http://www.peoplecube.com/calendar_software.cfm

http://www.calendarhome.com/clink/software.html

--

> Hello,
>
> I know that Exchange 2003 EE is much more than what I need, but what is
the
> other calendar software/programs that give the same calendaring options
> (especially for meeting request where outlook gives calendars of others
and
> simply & quickly you can determine the suitable schedule for all meeting
> members)?
>
> If any one here know such a program, please tell me (free is prefered).
>
> another reason, it is a good chance to (deal/try) exchange and if it worth
> to switch mails to it, I may do.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tamer Shaalan.
>
> "Tamer Shaalan" wrote:
>
> > Dear Professionals,
> >
> > First of all, I'm not professional in Exchange server .
> > I want to deploy a calendar server to manage events, meeting requests,
> > individual calendars of employees and so on. I decided to install
Exchange
> > server 2003 EE for that. Now, I have two questions:
> >
> > 1)- How to achieve this task (main steps).
> > 2)- Is it possible to use this feature without creating mailboxes for
users
> > but just  create mail addresses (in the future, I may plan to switch
> > corporate mail server to exchange instead of Linux)?
> >

> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Tamer Shaalan.

0
sconkey (3059)

HTML edit for email template in Outlook 2003
If I'm editing new mail, I can set MS Word as editor and use script editor to access the HTML source. Now I'm creating a template for the autoreply, and it doesn't offer a choice to switch to MS Word. What should I do to edit the mail template content then? -- If you want to mail to me, please replace all instance of "e" to "a" in my email address. Thank you. Sorry for any inconvience caused, but there's many spam-mailers. ...

Importing XML in SQL Server 2005 in .Net 2.0
Hello All, I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there any way we can import XML file having schema into database? Neo Hello Neo, N> I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there N> any way we can import XML file having schema into database? What exactly are you trying to do? e.g., load XML into an XML typed column or load XML into one or more tables? Do you already have a schema? Note: Adding to m.p.ss.xml for easier tracking. Thanks! Kent Tegels DevelopMentor http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/ Yes, I have schema. I have also c...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

outlook or freeware calendar
My mother in law is in a nursing care facility. My wife is coordinating the schedules for each of the many family members to visit and take care of her. My wife (and I) use Outlook XP for personal calendars. Both of us are at a loss how to send our outlook calendar (in weekly view mode) to our various email correspondents. Is there a freeware program which will accomplish the same thing. The only way to achieve what we want to do that I can think of is to screen capture the calendar window, save the file and attach the file (jpg/bmp) to each correspondent. This seems to me to be a crude i...

Using Spanish on Publisher

SBS 2003 + Terminal Server
Our company is in process to implement Great Plains and MS Solutions Partner suggested next configuration: 1 server - WS 2003 standart (Terminal Server) 2 server - WS 2003 Standart + SQL 2000. Is it possible to use on server 2 Small Business Server 2003 Premium ? What about problems with domain? Regards, I do not believe it is possible to have two machines running Windows SBS 2003 because each machine will want to be the domain controller. I think you'd be better off with: Machine 1: Windows 2003 with Terminal Services Machine 2: Windows 2003 with SQL Server. This machine can also...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Exchange 2003 removing Internet Headers on incoming mail
Our exchange 2003 server strips out the internet headers. We have a catchall internet mailbox which is collected by exchange POP3 and then forwarded to all internal mailboxes by virtual SMTP. Is there a setting to prevent the headers being stripped out? At first I though it was Outlook 2003, but I've enabled the DWORD registry setting "SaveAllMIMENotJustHeaders" which shows only the internal receipt into virtual SMTP and nothing else. Regards Anthony On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:58:19 +0100, "Anthony Hunt" <ach@kl2.com> wrote: >Our exchange 2003 server ...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Can't restore Outlook 2003 from the notification area (Windows XP Pro)
If I minimise Outlook to the systray, and then attempt to restore it at a later time I receive the following message in an XP balloon. "Outlook is not responding. If you are using an Exchange server email account you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon in the notifications area and then clicking Cancel Server Request on the shortcut menu. " I am not using Exchange, therefore I don't have the option to cancel server requests - this is a standalone system - it's not even networked! How do I resolve this? I have to restart the system to get it ru...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

exchange 2000 logfiles
Hi, I have recently started to support a company running SBS 2000. They have no backup software! I have also discovered that none of the log files in Exchange have been flushed and as a result I am running out of disk space. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to flush these log files without performing a backup ie through eseutil or some other tool. I guess I already know the answer! Thanks for any help You could enable Circular Logging on the Storage Group, but the big question is why don't they have a backup system in place?, they are asking for trouble, and if I was going to suppor...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Allow temporarily use of right click

exchange dst tool: msextmzcfg configuration.
Hi all, I already ran the setup msextmzcfg successfully, but have not run the batch yet. I have like half of my user mailboxes logged in the Mailboxes_1.txt and the other half in the NonExistent.txt. If i run the batch, it will only fix those in mailboxes_1.txt as i know. How do i fix those in nonexistent.txt and how come i have active users in the nonexistent.txt recorded as not have Time Zone Information. Any idea? Thanks for your time. Im having the same issue, have you figured out whats causing this yet or how to fix it? ...

DPM agent for exchange 2007 fails with 80070643 error code
Greetings! I'm completely frustrated. When I try to install DPM agent on exchange 2007 i allways receive the same error 80070643 regardless of firewall settings or dpm agent version. Please help! My config is: exchange 2007 SP1 - on w2k8 x64 AD - in w2k3 native mode DPM 2007 - on w2k3 r2 32bit Hi, We understand your frustration. We will look into it to get better informative error message. For this, please collect the logs from PS server shared at: "%SystemDrive%\Windows\Temp\MSDPM*.log. Mail these logs to: anuraga@microsoft[DOT]com Thanks Anur...

Calendar Report in CRM
I'm trying to write a report in CRM that will display data in a calendar format. I've been banging my head on this for weeks and I haven't turned up anything online. I have some dates with titles attached I just want a calendar to display those titles on those date. I wouldn't think it would be that hard but it is. Help! ...

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...