Users mailbox locked because server will not purge data

We have a user who tried to send an email with a 38 MB attachment
(after repeatedly instructing her that we have a 3 MB attachment limit)
which caused her account to not allow her to send or receive emails
since she had gone over her mailbox limits. She moved the email from
her Sent Items to her Deleted Items and then emptied her Deleted Items
folder. The user is in one of our remote offices. When she checks her
folder size, her Local Data only shows the size of her mailbox as 160
KB but when we look on System Manager it still shows her mailbox size
as 38 MB. She emptied her deleted items folder more than 3 hours ago
but the server still shows her mailbox as having that 38 MB email. Is
there a way we can force the server to purge that information so her
mailbox will become active again? We have been having this problem of
changes not taking effect on the server for long periods of time more
frequently, and not only between our remote offices. We only have 1
exchange server (2003). Our remote offices connect back to our
headquarters via T1, but we have been having similar problems with
users in our headquarters as well. Is there a way to make the server
update this information instead of having to wait until the next day
after it has run it's online maintenance?

0
emblack (9)

emblack@gmail.com wrote:
> We have a user who tried to send an email with a 38 MB attachment
> (after repeatedly instructing her that we have a 3 MB attachment
> limit) which caused her account to not allow her to send or receive
> emails since she had gone over her mailbox limits. She moved the
> email from her Sent Items to her Deleted Items and then emptied her
> Deleted Items folder. The user is in one of our remote offices. When
> she checks her folder size, her Local Data only shows the size of her
> mailbox as 160 KB but when we look on System Manager it still shows
> her mailbox size as 38 MB. She emptied her deleted items folder more
> than 3 hours ago but the server still shows her mailbox as having
> that 38 MB email. Is there a way we can force the server to purge
> that information so her mailbox will become active again? We have
> been having this problem of changes not taking effect on the server
> for long periods of time more frequently, and not only between our
> remote offices. We only have 1 exchange server (2003). Our remote
> offices connect back to our headquarters via T1, but we have been
> having similar problems with users in our headquarters as well. Is
> there a way to make the server update this information instead of
> having to wait until the next day after it has run it's online
> maintenance?

You mention "local data" - do you mean she's seeing that phrase somewhere
when she right-clicks on the root folder in her folder list, goes to
properties, folder size? Or do you mean she is using a PST file instead of
opening the mailbox directly?
38MB isn't a big mailbox, and I can't believe her mailbox is really 160K.
Double check. What's her limit/quota? What size do you see her mailbox as in
ESM?
Is she using Outlook 2003, or any version of Outlook configured to work with
an offline file? If she synchronizes, what happens?

0
lanwench (7567)
1/27/2005 1:54:13 PM
You should be able to manually run the on-line maintenance, but first, set
the deleted items retention to 0 (at least for this one user).

Mike Ober.

<emblack@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We have a user who tried to send an email with a 38 MB attachment
> (after repeatedly instructing her that we have a 3 MB attachment limit)
> which caused her account to not allow her to send or receive emails
> since she had gone over her mailbox limits. She moved the email from
> her Sent Items to her Deleted Items and then emptied her Deleted Items
> folder. The user is in one of our remote offices. When she checks her
> folder size, her Local Data only shows the size of her mailbox as 160
> KB but when we look on System Manager it still shows her mailbox size
> as 38 MB. She emptied her deleted items folder more than 3 hours ago
> but the server still shows her mailbox as having that 38 MB email. Is
> there a way we can force the server to purge that information so her
> mailbox will become active again? We have been having this problem of
> changes not taking effect on the server for long periods of time more
> frequently, and not only between our remote offices. We only have 1
> exchange server (2003). Our remote offices connect back to our
> headquarters via T1, but we have been having similar problems with
> users in our headquarters as well. Is there a way to make the server
> update this information instead of having to wait until the next day
> after it has run it's online maintenance?

0
Michael
1/27/2005 2:29:56 PM
Yes, the Local Data tab when we go to properties and check Folder Size.
Her mailbox is only 160K because she just started and one of the first
things she did was try to send a 38MB email and when she received the
message that her mailbox was full, she deleted everything. The limits
are set to prohibit send at 10 MB and prohibit send and receive at 20
MB. Yes, it is a very small limit but I guarantee, that is what it is
set at in ESM. In ESM today her mailbox is showing 71 MB. That tells me
that last night during online maintenance, it didn't clear out that
large email she deleted. She is using Outlook 2003, connecting back to
an Exchange 2003 server set to use Cached mode. What do you mean if she
synchronizes? I don't know of a manual way to synchronize with the
server. If she goes to Mailbox Cleanup under the Tools menu, it only
shows her that her mailbox size is the 160k and everything is
completely empty, so the 71MB is somewhere on the server side. Thanks
for your help.

0
emblack (9)
1/28/2005 2:53:05 PM
How do you manually run the online maintenance?

0
emblack (9)
1/28/2005 2:53:38 PM
emblack@gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, the Local Data tab when we go to properties and check Folder
> Size.

What does she see in the Server Data tab?

> Her mailbox is only 160K because she just started and one of
> the first things she did was try to send a 38MB email and when she
> received the message that her mailbox was full, she deleted
> everything. The limits are set to prohibit send at 10 MB and prohibit
> send and receive at 20 MB. Yes, it is a very small limit but I
> guarantee, that is what it is set at in ESM.

I haveto ask why you have such an incredibly tiny mailbox quota...I don't
know anyone who could work within that. Of course, I don't know your
business reasons for doing so. You do know that this has no relation to the
message/attachment size limits, right? Also, I wouldn't set any limit for
"prohibit send & receive" as it penalizes the sender - set a warning limit,
and a much higher "prohibit send" limit to allow for any large-ish
attachments, etc... and to give the user reasonable time to do mailbox
housekeeping.

> In ESM today her mailbox
> is showing 71 MB. That tells me that last night during online
> maintenance, it didn't clear out that large email she deleted.

More likely her OST sync isn't working right...

> She is
> using Outlook 2003, connecting back to an Exchange 2003 server set to
> use Cached mode. What do you mean if she synchronizes? I don't know
> of a manual way to synchronize with the server.

F9 or tools, options, send/receive, send/recieve all

>  If she goes to
> Mailbox Cleanup under the Tools menu, it only shows her that her
> mailbox size is the 160k and everything is completely empty, so the
> 71MB is somewhere on the server side. Thanks for your help.

Open up the mailbox in OWA and see if you can delete what you find.

0
lanwench (7567)

New to User Forms

Users Shared Folders

Conversion of Cross-Tab Formatted data to qualify for Pivot Table
It's amazing how one can take pivot table data -- double-click in the data section and it "converts" the PT format to a data-table format (fit for a database environment, say access)... Well any way, I receive files that are in a sort of a crosstab format, which I'd love to be able to get to respond to (the creation) of a Pivot table. Is there a way to make this "conversion"? Thanks in advance for any direction offered.. Do you mean something like this: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip068.htm from John Walkenbach's site. Jim May wrote: > > It&#...

Mailbox name does not resolve?
I have added all users in the company to the exchange server with no issue except one user. I am using Exchange 2003 and outlook 2003 on all desktops. In outlook I enter the server name and mail box name in both full name and alias form and neither will resolve. The machine connects through file sharing to the exchange box with no problem. I have deleted the box and readded it and it still does not work. David Lewis <*@*.*> wrote in news:e7rig0he6c4h4t16jn3v6bjp1pt673hnhn@4ax.com: > I have added all users in the company to the exchange server with no > issue except one user. I...

Users not showing up All Users

Restore Mailboxs With First Strage Group Restore
Greetings All, I'm a bit confused about backup and restores done with NTBackup on Exchange 2003. I'm able to create backups without any error. I'm also able to restore with out any error. However, lets say I have 10 mail boxs and I do a backup. I then delete and purge 5 of those mail boxes after my backup. Now, I want to restore those 5 boxes so I dismount my stores and make sure "can be overwwitten" is checked. I then go to my NTbackup utill and choose to restore my first storage group (which is what I backed up) I check the option to remount the store after back ...

user breakpoint

Failed to install MSI part of Microsoft CRM Server setup 09-16-03
Hi, When I try to setup CRM Server I get this error.I replicate the server when I start to install but then I get tis error. I don't setup on a DC.Do I have to setup it on a DC? Thanks in advance, Derda Derda, You should have received an error code as part of the message. Can you please provide that information. Matt "Derda" <safsar@luckyeye.com> wrote in message news:eQ5P6KFfDHA.988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... Hi, When I try to setup CRM Server I get this error.I replicate the server when I start to install but then I get tis error. I don't setup on a DC.Do I have ...

mailbox manager Policy
Is there a way to a schedule mailbox rentention policy that will only run email deletion every first of the month? On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:35:01 -0700, paz <paz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to a schedule mailbox rentention policy that will only run >email deletion every first of the month? Not really. Its by the day/week in the custom schedule isnt it? Yeah. Do you know of any tweak or exchange tool that can provide similar capability? thank you "Andy David - MVP" wrote: > On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:35:01 -0700, paz <paz@discussions.microso...

Copying over VS2008 project with ADO.NET Data Entity Model
My old laptop died and I copied over a VS2008 C# project to my new one. This project entails using LINQ to query a ADO.NET Data Entity Model and push the results into an XML file. Pretty straightforward. When I build the project it's all good. But when I try to run the project it fails when the program is trying to iterate through the LINQ result set. The inner exception is listed as "Loading this assembly would produce a different grant set from other instances." I googled around and saw that perhaps some permissions issues are the culprit. So I went in and verified ...

Front end server OWA redirection
Hi, I have configured a front end server to use RPC-HTTP successfully. Ive got the SSL certificate and it all works great. Problem is, Im trying to configure an Outlook web login page, but cant get it to redirect to the backend server. Firstly I wasnt even getting an OWA page until I followed the instructions in the this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555053 Now I get a login page but as soon as I type in a domain\username and password, I get a 404 page could not be found error. This should be redirecting to my backend server (Where OWA is working fine...

Protect sheets not allowing entering of data in multiple sheets
Hi All, I have a customer who has a workbook with protected sheets in it. They have cells that are unlocked that they enter information in. The user may want to enter the same information in the same cell in multiple sheets. If the information is numeric it will allow it. If it is text, the data will disappear when the user presses enter. Has anyone run across this and found a solution? Heck, I didn't even know you could do that until the customer showed me. Learn something new every day. ...

Need User Name and Password

print only datas
hi i like to print only the datas but not the rows and collumns in the ms access Kaja, It sounds as though you are printing directly from the table. This will produce a report with column headers, row lines, and column lines. You'll need to create a custom Report (using Report Design mode) where the fields/controls on that report do not have any visible borders. -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life." <kaja48380@gmail.com...

excel need to be installed on server?
hello all, does excel have to be installed on my web server if i want to use a regular html form to receive user data to populate then execute some calculations in an excel spreadsheet? thanks in advance, greg Yes if you want the calculation done at the server side. However Excel and other Office apps. are not designed to run in this way (as server side processes). It can and has been done but it takes some knowledge. I've written an article on this, not sure if I posted it to my site. Use the contact me form on the site if you are going to pursue this method and I'll post i...

Can't install Server 2008 Service pack 2 (x64)
i keep getting error code 800F0826 with no other info. trying to install on my sbs 2008 premium box. any suggestions?? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0048_01CA8ED5.5AF75FA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Are you using the Microsoft tool to make this installation possible? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=3Den&FamilyID= =3Dffd2fe61-9278-489e-9b96-3816394c9cb6 "BadBoy House" <mrchrishouse@googlemail.com> wrote in mess...

How to summarize Access query data?
I have a table and a resulting query with 1,400 records. I would like a summary page for a given category. For example, there are 20 people and each has a number of work orders they are responsible for. Each work orders has a discrete identification number. I want two numbers per person: (1) the number of orders they have (a count) and (2) the sum of all the "Remaining Hours" each person has associated with their associated orders. (The existing query takes the estimated hours and subtracts the actual hours with the result being the "Remaining Hours.") This is...

Random Users Calendars not viewable

Exchange server being compromised???
Hi guys, Our company has an Exchange 2003 (SBS 2003) box that's SENDING out mail to mxi.earthlink.net and mx2.earthlink.net and takes up the whole T1 bandwidth since last week. We've ran antivirus and found several spyware but that's about it. We've also ran packet analysis to confirm those two addresses but now we're stuck as to how to solve this. Can someone lead me to the right direction as to what or who is relaying our smtp traffic? Please help. Thanks. Exchange 2003 is closed to relaying, unless you've enabled it...what IP addresses are the emails coming fro...

more then 20 mailboxes
Which component of Outlook seems to cause the problem (Calendar, Inbox, Deleted Items, etc.)? more then 20 Mailboxes Please give a detailed description of the problem (error message, behavior): I use in my Outlook more than 20 Mailboxes. So I can manage all incomming mails. But the mailbox-names are unsorted. So I need a lot of time to find the right inbox. Is it possible that I can sort the mailboxes after the name? Which troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? nothing, I would like to sort the mailing-boxes. Have you installed new software or hardware or changed something else on you...