Users Listed in the Managed by Box Are Unable to Manage Groups

Hi,

I have multi-domain AD 2000 forest in our organization.
Most of DC controllers are Windows 2003 .
Our Exchange 2003 server is in the same site as one of Global Catalog
servers.
Any user including Domain Admins or Enterprise Admins can't change
membership of Universal Distribution Groups
in Outlook 2002 or 2003.
I tried Microsoft knowledgebase articles :
   and
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319206

but it doesn't help.
What can be the problem ?

Alex Tager
IT admin

Eh?  Did you follow those articles correctly?

Keep in mind two things: the managed by feature is a 2003 AD feature.  You
can't use it in non-W2K3 domains.  You may need the entire forest to be in
FFL 2K3 but I'm too lazy to check at the moment ;)

The other thing is that in order to change/manage group membership, you MUST
have write access to the group.  You don't have that necessarily if you have
multi-domains.  Can you confirm that the user that wants to modify the group
membership is also in the same domain and using a GC from the same domain
that a) they are in and b) the group is in as well?

Al

"Alex Tager" <alex_t122000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have multi-domain AD 2000 forest in our organization.
> Most of DC controllers are Windows 2003 .
> Our Exchange 2003 server is in the same site as one of Global Catalog
> servers.
> Any user including Domain Admins or Enterprise Admins can't change
> membership of Universal Distribution Groups
> in Outlook 2002 or 2003.
> I tried Microsoft knowledgebase articles :
>   and
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319206
>
> but it doesn't help.
> What can be the problem ?
>
> Alex Tager
> IT admin

"Alex Tager" <alex_t122000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have multi-domain AD 2000 forest in our organization.
>Most of DC controllers are Windows 2003 .
>Our Exchange 2003 server is in the same site as one of Global Catalog
>servers.
>Any user including Domain Admins or Enterprise Admins can't change
>membership of Universal Distribution Groups
>in Outlook 2002 or 2003.

In the Outlook client, open the address book, make sure the "Global
Addres List" is in the "show names from" drop-down list box. Put the
cursor into the box and right-click. Click on the "Properties?" menu
and you'll see the GC being used as the source of the address list.

If the domain of the GC is different to the domain of the user or the
distribution group then they can't change anything because the GC
doesn't have a writable copy of the group.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thanks for the help

"Al Mulnick" <amulnick_No_SPAM@ncDOTrr.com> wrote in message
> Eh?  Did you follow those articles correctly?
>
> Keep in mind two things: the managed by feature is a 2003 AD feature.  You
> can't use it in non-W2K3 domains.  You may need the entire forest to be in
> FFL 2K3 but I'm too lazy to check at the moment ;)
>
> The other thing is that in order to change/manage group membership, you
> MUST have write access to the group.  You don't have that necessarily if
> you have multi-domains.  Can you confirm that the user that wants to
> modify the group membership is also in the same domain and using a GC from
> the same domain that a) they are in and b) the group is in as well?
>
> Al
>

> "Alex Tager" <alex_t122000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have multi-domain AD 2000 forest in our organization.
>> Most of DC controllers are Windows 2003 .
>> Our Exchange 2003 server is in the same site as one of Global Catalog
>> servers.
>> Any user including Domain Admins or Enterprise Admins can't change
>> membership of Universal Distribution Groups
>> in Outlook 2002 or 2003.
>> I tried Microsoft knowledgebase articles :
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281489/EN-US/
>>   and
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319206
>>
>> but it doesn't help.
>> What can be the problem ?
>>
>> Alex Tager
>> IT admin

New to User Forms

unable to create a link in email
hi, how can i create a link in my outlook email to link to C:\my documents\How to blade.doc thanks I really don't know, but even if you could, the recipient couldn't see it. It's on your computer. The only way is to attach the file to your message. I would also suggest that your create a PDF so that recipients that don't have Word can read it. Win2PDF at http://www.win2pdf.com or PrimoPDF at http://www.primopdf.com "Lynn" <moley_cruz@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:1106799740.913670.178870@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > hi, > how can i creat...

Users Shared Folders

How do you sort a multi-column list by rows?
I'm a worship leader, I need to create an index for the songs in my notebook. I'm using Excel (I'm an absolute beginner, just got it yesterday) and need to know how to sort a list with several columns (song title, tempo etc.) by any one of the columns and keep the rows intact. Thanks 4 the help. If I understood your problem correctly, this should help, at least a bit. Select ONE cell in the column you want to sort by. Then click on a button in the toolbar, it should say AZ and an arrow downwards. To do an ascending sort, click the button with and arrow upwards. If you don&...

No Banks listed
I upgraded to 2006 today, and in the set up accounts, i am not getting bank lists to pick my bank. all i get is "this is not available at the time, check back later" how do i correct this. I get it all the time. any ideas guys?? ...

Users not showing up All Users

Tabbing between text boxes in Excel 2007
I have a spreadsheet that has multiple text boxes that I need to quickly type info into and then tab to go to the next text box, this worked just fine in 2003 but since I changed to 2007 it does not allow me to tab between the text boxes, any solutions? I would be happy to send someone an example of my worksheet if that helps. Thanks! Excel 2007 Select shapes with keyboard shortcuts. http://www.mediafire.com/file/mtyf2j2dk4w/03_11_10b.pdf http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymtmzodrrwj/03_11_10b.xlsx ...

Combo Boxes in CListCtrl
Hi, How shall I have combo boxes as CListCtrl subitems? Regards, Vinodh Kumar P See here: http://www.codeproject.com/listctrl/xlistctrl.asp "Vinodh Kumar P" <thecomdeveloper@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bltlo1$e7h$1@news.mch.sbs.de... > Hi, > How shall I have combo boxes as CListCtrl subitems? > > Regards, > Vinodh Kumar P > > ...

xml lists?
Hi, I'm having trouble with something again. If i have, for example: <Notes> <Note>some text</Note> <Note>some other text</Note> <Note>more text</Note> </Notes> I put the InnerText of each Note node into an ArrayList. My question is, if i change the ArrayList around by adding and deleting elements, how do i "update" the xml file i just got the information from? Thank you very much in advance, Tim (newbie learner). Serialize? If you are grabbing the InnerText, then I guess you are walking the DOM. XML Serialization m...

mailbox manager Policy
Is there a way to a schedule mailbox rentention policy that will only run email deletion every first of the month? On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:35:01 -0700, paz <paz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to a schedule mailbox rentention policy that will only run >email deletion every first of the month? Not really. Its by the day/week in the custom schedule isnt it? Yeah. Do you know of any tweak or exchange tool that can provide similar capability? thank you "Andy David - MVP" wrote: > On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:35:01 -0700, paz <paz@discussions.microso...

Restore Mailboxs With First Strage Group Restore
Greetings All, I'm a bit confused about backup and restores done with NTBackup on Exchange 2003. I'm able to create backups without any error. I'm also able to restore with out any error. However, lets say I have 10 mail boxs and I do a backup. I then delete and purge 5 of those mail boxes after my backup. Now, I want to restore those 5 boxes so I dismount my stores and make sure "can be overwwitten" is checked. I then go to my NTbackup utill and choose to restore my first storage group (which is what I backed up) I check the option to remount the store after back ...

user breakpoint

color list view
hi can i use thread to change the color of the list view with the OnNMCustomdraw and how can i do it ùthanks All this should be done on the same thread where the control was created. Why would you want a separate thread anyway? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "mido1971" <jan_mido_2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:439D8B44-5A8B-4FC8-99E4-D7A62E510E3B@microsoft.com... > hi > can i use thread to change the color of the list view with the > OnNMCustomdraw and how can i do it �thanks i need an another thread because i have in the list view lo...

distribution group creation error
When creating a distribution group with associated public folder, I see an error message about the creation of the public folder... Here is a copy of the add_distribution_group_wizard.log file Can anyone help me? ------------------------------- Date: 22/04/2004 Time: 11:38 User: administrator Command-Line: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Administration\addgrp.exe" -e -x ------------------------------- ------------------------------- Options specified by the user: Create a distribution group with the following name: fcvcvcv Add the following users and gro...

Nautica Men's Box Set Watch #N14524G
Price:$145.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000PSN090 Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000PSN090 very pleased with purchase, watch offers multiple bands allowing combination options. Rugged watch with excellent weight and feel. With this ingenious box set from Nautica, your watch can now keep up with your changing wardrobe and mood. Arty and modern, this gorgeous watch boasts a choice of three wristbands in varying colors and textures, easily switched with the help of the included tool. A moveable chronograph is etched into the bezel of this casua...

Need User Name and Password

Random Users Calendars not viewable

Creating a Distribution List in OUTLOOK 2007
Hello, Is there a way to create a DISTRIBUTION LIST in OUTLOOK 2007 that contains contacts with a specific feature WITHOUT adding members one by one? E.g., I need a distribution list of all contacts whose e-mail address is in a particular domain. The following sequence DOES NOT work: CONTACTS ---> ACTIONS ---> NEW DISTRIBUTION LIST ---> SELECT MEMBERS ----> SEARCH (MORE COLUMNS) When I entered the domain name in the search window, I got no results. Thus, OUTLOOK did not search the entries of the e-mail addresses. Thank you for your help. ATK "...

Manager grayed out on user setup

Lotus user to Outlook user Attachments missing
Hi everyone, I have a strange problem that hopefully someone can help with or maybe point me in the right direction. Infrastructure info: All our clients are running Office 2007 SP2 and we have Exchange 2007 SP1 as our backend. We have a client that has Lotus Notes and sends us many emails per day and almost always they have attachments but usually PDF's, JPG's and DOC's. We have just discovered that they occasionally send us scanned docs in MDI format. The problem is that it appears as though when the client running Lotus attached an MDI file and sends the ema...