User sent a 280Mb file!!

OK, don't laugh at me as I've been put in a precarious position. Our company
(who's not real understanding of the importance of IT) has let go of our
only senior IT guy. I've only been in the dept. for 3 months now and report
to an "IT manager"  who's more greener than I am.

Anyhow, we had an incident today where one of the users broadcast a message
company-wide that had a size of 280Mb. Of course, I'm still dealing with the
fallout because the default size limit for user accounts is 200Mb - so
naturally almost everyone is locked up since the system is prohibiting
send/receive privileges until their accounts fall below the limit.

So wanting to prevent this from happening again, my question is how do I go
about setting a maximum size limit for outgoing messages? We're running
(again, don't laugh) exchange 5.5.

Thanks all!

0
hello.you (2)

Open Exchange System Administrator consol and click on connections the
Internet mail service> duble click on that and you'll see several tabs on
that. then click on delevery restrictions and the put the maximum size of the
outgoing mail.

"M&M" wrote:

> OK, don't laugh at me as I've been put in a precarious position. Our company
> (who's not real understanding of the importance of IT) has let go of our
> only senior IT guy. I've only been in the dept. for 3 months now and report
> to an "IT manager"  who's more greener than I am.
>
> Anyhow, we had an incident today where one of the users broadcast a message
> company-wide that had a size of 280Mb. Of course, I'm still dealing with the
> fallout because the default size limit for user accounts is 200Mb - so
> naturally almost everyone is locked up since the system is prohibiting
> send/receive privileges until their accounts fall below the limit.
>
> So wanting to prevent this from happening again, my question is how do I go
> about setting a maximum size limit for outgoing messages? We're running
> (again, don't laugh) exchange 5.5.
>
> Thanks all!

0
Padman (11)
7/14/2005 9:49:02 AM
This will only block large outgoing internet messages.  Messages within the
server are still unlimited in size.  Fortunately only one copy of this
message is stored in your mail server.  It will be deleted once everyone has
deleted (and purged) the message from their mailboxes.  Once they have
purged their mailboxes, it will take 30 - 60 minutes for the system to
recover, or if time is of the essence, have everyone close their mail
clients and then toggle the Exchange services.

Mike Ober.

"Padman" <Padman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Open Exchange System Administrator consol and click on connections the
> Internet mail service> duble click on that and you'll see several tabs on
> that. then click on delevery restrictions and the put the maximum size of
the
> outgoing mail.
>
> "M&M" wrote:
>
> > OK, don't laugh at me as I've been put in a precarious position. Our
company
> > (who's not real understanding of the importance of IT) has let go of our
> > only senior IT guy. I've only been in the dept. for 3 months now and
report
> > to an "IT manager"  who's more greener than I am.
> >
> > Anyhow, we had an incident today where one of the users broadcast a
message
> > company-wide that had a size of 280Mb. Of course, I'm still dealing with
the
> > fallout because the default size limit for user accounts is 200Mb - so
> > naturally almost everyone is locked up since the system is prohibiting
> > send/receive privileges until their accounts fall below the limit.
> >
> > So wanting to prevent this from happening again, my question is how do I
go
> > about setting a maximum size limit for outgoing messages? We're running
> > (again, don't laugh) exchange 5.5.
> >
> > Thanks all!

0
Michael
7/14/2005 2:08:22 PM
"M&M" <hello.you@crazy.bots> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>So wanting to prevent this from happening again, my question is how do I go
>about setting a maximum size limit for outgoing messages? We're running
>(again, don't laugh) exchange 5.5.

You're really asking how to prevent them from sending messages larger
than "X" KB. Outgoing messages are another subject.

Depending on the number of mailboxes you're dealing with, you can
either use the Exchange admin program and add a maximum send size to
each ,ailbox. Or you can export the contents of the directory, add the
necessary proprty to the result, and populate it with the value you
want (e.g. 5120 if you wanted to impose a 5MB limit on messages sent).
Then import the changes into the directory.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

New to User Forms

Excel files refuse to open
Suddenly all Excel files refuse to open If I double click on an xls file in Folder or on Desktop, I am getting this message Cannot find the file [File Path]'C:\Documents and Settings/Secretary\My Documents\Book1.xls'(or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all requited libraries ate available. [ OK ] But if I can open the same file from the file menu open. And office program is working will there is no other any problem in program So please tell me What can I do about it? Two things you could try:- 1...

Publisher 97- cannot open file
Please help........ Pulling out hair. I saved a file that I created in publisher 97 using my old computer windows 98 to a disk. I have transferred this file to my new computer. o/s windows xp home edition. I am still using publisher 97 program and I get an error message when I try to open this file now. " Publisher cannot open files from a different version" I have tried reinstalling publisher 97 but no difference. Also to let you know, I have tried to open this file on the original computer that created it and I get the same message. Could the file be corrupted? If so how...

Importing .txt file
I'm trying to import an .txt file into excel 2000 which has to many columns, is there anyway I can increase the number of columns. With Excel 97 it would show me the data for the columns upto its maximum, but excel 2000 just crashes Hi no way to increase the number of columns in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany SimonT wrote: > I'm trying to import an .txt file into excel 2000 which > has to many columns, is there anyway I can increase the > number of columns. With Excel 97 it would show me the data > for the columns upto its maximum, but excel 2000...

Users Shared Folders

Encrypted files
As result of a crash, and reformatting hard drive, I am unable to load or open Excell encrypted files from my back, any suggestions please Hi Tom what is the error message you receive?. also what do you mean with 'encrypted' Note: You also have Excel re-installed on your harddisk? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany tom wrote: > As result of a crash, and reformatting hard drive, I am > unable to load or open Excell encrypted files from my > back, any suggestions please ...

Publisher won't open file
I am having serious issues with Publisher XP/2002 Creating a simple 2 page file, after closing Publisher refuses to open the file at all, to the point of crashing the application. Deciding not to create the file for a 3rd time and loosing it, i decided that after every change i would save a new copy of the file. All I have done is just added images when it stops working. it doesn't even have to be the same image. at any random point it will just stop working. Help please! Do you have the service packs? Description of Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/83...

OPENFILENAME w/ wierd file history popup?
We are using a standard OPENFILENAME to allow a user to choose a file to open in our MFC app. If the user clicks on the file type popup, he sees our list of file types that he can open, which is as we expect. However, if he clicks on the popup for the filename, he sees a list of past files. First off, we are not sure where this list comes from? Second, the list has full pathnames of all the files, but the user only sees the first xx characters (about 50 maybe?), which means he see a useless list -- the files we direct the user to are typically inside 'documents and settings' whic...

Users not showing up All Users

user breakpoint

Importing multiple text files to spreadsheet
Just wondering if anyone might know if there's a way to automate this problem: I have 200 text files that need to be imported to 1 worksheet on Excel. - each file should be imported to 1 column in the Excel worksheet - the 'next' file imported to the next column - thus after the import, there should be 200 filled columns - starting with zero columns filled ??? Any ideas? ========================== FYI: essentially, i'm trying to get information from the text files - which represent 1 record - to a database, & i'm using a spreadsheet to do this coz after the i...

can't open msg file
Hello, problem is with some msg files. I can't open them in Outlook 2003 or infact in any version of outlook. Error that I'm getting is: The Messaging Interface Has Returned an Unknown Error. Anyone? ...

be able to save my publisher files in a higher resolution
I do art work for my business using publisher and I save it as JPG to send to the magazine company but they say its not high enough, the resolution...they need 350 or higher and mine are being received as 100 or less.....what do i do to change this? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agr...

File SIze grows when printing
I have noticed that when sending a file to an HP color laser printer that my file size is expanded by a magnitude of 9-10x, slowing printing speed to 1 page per 4 mins. Anyone have any help? Not at all unusual, but if you have blends it significantly increases the printing time. -- ...

Controlling sent mail folders with two pst files
I use two personal pst files, one for personal mail and another for business mail. I am using Outlook 2003. The business pst file is set as my default, but when I send an email it is saved in my personal pst sent folder and not the business pst sent folder. When I send personal mail it is correctly saved in my personal pst send folder. How can I control which sent folder messages are saved in for my different business and personal pop accounts? I would like to save my business mail in my business pst sent folder and not in my personal pst sent folder. Thanks, Kelly You might tr...

Need User Name and Password

Encrypting MS Money files?
I am not a MS Money user yet, but am trying to figure out from their literature if they have any security built into the software. Does it encrypt, or "just" password protect the database file on the hard drive? I'm worried about my laptop getting stolen and all my financial information being available. Should I invest in a hard drive encryption package too? What about those USB Key's that will lock down a folder or drive? What's everybody's recommendation to guarantee that your data cannot be retrieved in the event of the computet getting stolen? Thanks, Bob ...

Hard Drive Crash---Import pst file
I have a back-up file (~ 3.3 GB) of Outlook 2007 from crashed hard drive . When I try to import PST file I get the following message: "Errors have been detected in the file" Tried Scanpst.exe to no avail. When I try to open directly from the recovered file using Outlook I get a message that the "attachment size exceeds the allowable limit" Suggestions on how to import/repair PST file would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jimmy Is this backup a copy of a pst file or was it created with some backup software? Is this file located on the current hd? Are...

Random Users Calendars not viewable

a way to combine archive files
I have been archiving my money files every few years. I was trying to locate a transaction and I had to open each archive file. Is there some way of combining the archive files? You can't - see http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html#Q29. Many of us regard archiving as one of the least helpful things that MS added to Money. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "PattiWagen" <sandynpat@hotmail.com> wrote in m...