User can't change any permissions on their own mailbox...

Hello,

We have a user with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. They logon to Windows as
themselves, open Outlook 2003 and cannot modify any of the permissions
on any of their folders - they get a "the modifed permissions could
not be saved, client operation failed" error.

Everything else works, they can move and even delete folders.

Any ideas? Already tried the usual like deleting the Outlook profile.
Can't see anything strange in AD.

Thanks,

- Alan.
0
Alan

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 05:47:17 -0800 (PST), Alan <bruguy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>We have a user with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. They logon to Windows as
>themselves, open Outlook 2003 and cannot modify any of the permissions
>on any of their folders - they get a "the modifed permissions could
>not be saved, client operation failed" error.
>
>Everything else works, they can move and even delete folders.
>
>Any ideas? Already tried the usual like deleting the Outlook profile.
>Can't see anything strange in AD.

Define "strange". Then tell us what you think you should see, and then
what you do see. Nobody can tell what you mean if you're not at least
a little bit specific.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
11/14/2009 4:30:30 PM
This pretty much says it all:

> >We have a user with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. They logon to Windows as
> >themselves, open Outlook 2003 and cannot modify any of the permissions
> >on any of their folders - they get a "the modifed permissions could
> >not be saved, client operation failed" error.
>
> >Everything else works, they can move and even delete folders.

We haven't made any AD changes to the permissions, so nothing
"strange" there.

I've tried adding a delegate user to reset the ACLs - no difference.

Thanks.

On Nov 14, 5:30=A0pm, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richn...@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 05:47:17 -0800 (PST), Alan <bru...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >We have a user with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. They logon to Windows as
> >themselves, open Outlook 2003 and cannot modify any of the permissions
> >on any of their folders - they get a "the modifed permissions could
> >not be saved, client operation failed" error.
>
> >Everything else works, they can move and even delete folders.
>
> >Any ideas? Already tried the usual like deleting the Outlook profile.
> >Can't see anything strange in AD.
>
> Define "strange". Then tell us what you think you should see, and then
> what you do see. Nobody can tell what you mean if you're not at least
> a little bit specific.
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

0
Alan
11/15/2009 6:57:37 PM
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:57:37 -0800 (PST), Alan <bruguy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>This pretty much says it all:
>
>> >We have a user with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. They logon to Windows as
>> >themselves, open Outlook 2003 and cannot modify any of the permissions
>> >on any of their folders - they get a "the modifed permissions could
>> >not be saved, client operation failed" error.

No, it really says nothing except to describe the symptoms. Think of
it as telling your mechanic that your car, but not another person's
car, is "acting strangely" and you want to know how to fix it -- but
the car's at home and he can't drive it, see it, or listen to it or
the other person's car. How do you think that would work out?

>> >Everything else works, they can move and even delete folders.
>
>We haven't made any AD changes to the permissions, so nothing
>"strange" there.

So you don't really know what to look for or what you're seeing? And
you assume the problem's on the server because . . .

>I've tried adding a delegate user to reset the ACLs - no difference.

If you suspect a problem with the ACEs in the ACL why not try using
PFDAVAdmin to check them? Or maybe describe what you think is the
problem with them?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
11/15/2009 8:07:36 PM
I've zero interest in getting argumental Rich.

I've descibed the exact problem as we see it in Outlook and said that
we've done nothing in AD (or Exchange) on the permissions for these
mailboxes. I'm presuming it's most-likely Exchange or AD-based simply
because they are Exchange mailboxes not using POP, IMAP, HTTP or some
other generic protocol.

I don't know what other info to post or if that's even wrong. Profuse
apologies for my ignorance - if I knew what was causing it, I wouldn't
waste your valuable time.

Let me just post this in an Outlook forum. Thanks for replying so
promptly anyways.

On Nov 15, 9:07=A0pm, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richn...@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:57:37 -0800 (PST), Alan <bru...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >This pretty much says it all:

> No, it really says nothing except to describe the symptoms. Think of
> it as telling your mechanic that your car, but not another person's
> car, is "acting strangely" and you want to know how to fix it -- but
> the car's at home and he can't drive it, see it, or listen to it or
> the other person's car. How do you think that would work out?

> >We haven't made any AD changes to the permissions, so nothing
> >"strange" there.
>
> So you don't really know what to look for or what you're seeing? And
> you assume the problem's on the server because . . .
>
> >I've tried adding a delegate user to reset the ACLs - no difference.
>
> If you suspect a problem with the ACEs in the ACL why not try using
> PFDAVAdmin to check them? Or maybe describe what you think is the
> problem with them?
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

0
Alan

Microsoft GP -change the default sort on vendor lookups
On any vendor lookup, the default sort is by vendor number. No one knows the vendor numbers, so you have to change the sort to vendor name. So either change the default or give the option to the users to set their personal default sort. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in...

New to User Forms

Change A Cell Value Directly from a Chart
Folks, this is a follow-up to my earlier post. I've done some experimenting and I can quickly accomplish what I'm after if I could figure out how to change a cell value from a worksheet directly from a chartsheet. Here's my plan. Worksheet1 = PopulationModel Worksheet2 = PrehuntEstimates Worksheet3 = PivotTable Chartsheet4 = Chart A closeup look at each component: Worksheet1 Year PHFD PHYD PHAD WS2 WS2 WS2 (CELLS ARE ALL LINKED TO CELLS IN WORKSHEET2 and updated of course when they change) Worksheet2 (88R*7C) PHFD PHYD PHAD ADJUST UPHFD UPHYD UPHA...

Users Shared Folders

Why my default number format changed
I am using Excel 2007. From time to time, I found the default number format changed when I open an exiting excel file. For example, originally its default format was "General", but when I open the file, found it changed to "Custom". How is it happened? How can I prevent? How can I fix it. Thanks in advance! ...

Mailbox name does not resolve?
I have added all users in the company to the exchange server with no issue except one user. I am using Exchange 2003 and outlook 2003 on all desktops. In outlook I enter the server name and mail box name in both full name and alias form and neither will resolve. The machine connects through file sharing to the exchange box with no problem. I have deleted the box and readded it and it still does not work. David Lewis <*@*.*> wrote in news:e7rig0he6c4h4t16jn3v6bjp1pt673hnhn@4ax.com: > I have added all users in the company to the exchange server with no > issue except one user. I...

I am working on calendars, how do I change days of the week from .
It usually works best if you actually include a message. -- John Inzer return e-mail disabled ...

How do I get the font color to change automatically depending on
How do I get the font color to change automatically depending on whether it is a positive or negative number? Example: if negative auto change to red, If positive number change to green, zero balance auto change to black. Take a look at Format|Conditional formatting. gtcarlsbad wrote: > > How do I get the font color to change automatically depending on whether it > is a positive or negative number? Example: if negative auto change to red, > If positive number change to green, zero balance auto change to black. -- Dave Peterson Go to Format - Conditional format Is very e...

Users not showing up All Users

How do you change seconds to cycles?
How do you change seconds to cycles? If you mean change the word "seconds" to the word "cycles", then you can use Edit/Replace from the menu bar to do that (select a range of cells that includes the cells you are interested in first); although you will want to probably press the "Options>>" button to display all the options available to you (assuming that they are not already displayed) as it sounds like you may want to make sure the "Match entire cell contents" check box is not selected so you can find the word "seconds" wi...

Restore Mailboxs With First Strage Group Restore
Greetings All, I'm a bit confused about backup and restores done with NTBackup on Exchange 2003. I'm able to create backups without any error. I'm also able to restore with out any error. However, lets say I have 10 mail boxs and I do a backup. I then delete and purge 5 of those mail boxes after my backup. Now, I want to restore those 5 boxes so I dismount my stores and make sure "can be overwwitten" is checked. I then go to my NTbackup utill and choose to restore my first storage group (which is what I backed up) I check the option to remount the store after back ...

Preview of Messages slow after changing TIME on PC
I have been using Outlook 2002 SP2 with no problems. I could click on any message in any folder and it displayed instantly. Then I noticed that the time on my PC was wrong ( 12 hours ) so I changed it. Now when it takes 4-5 seconds to display the message. Changing the time back does not fix the problem. HELP Please..... Found it in Newgroup. Yes, is is fixed by disabling Instant Messenger in Outlook. BUT, it can also be fixed by ALLOWing Instant messenger to run in background. >-----Original Message----- >I have been using Outlook 2002 SP2 with no problems. I >could click on...

user breakpoint

Business address change how to?
Using Money 2009 for Small Business. I need to change my business address (recently moved it) so the correct address show up on my invoices. Can't figure out how to do it. Also ... I lost my invoice template when I moved the program over to my laptop. I now have to save invoices to my desktop, and print them from there, in plain text, little formatting. When I try printing directly from the invoice screen, I just get blank invoices. Any help offered greatly appreciated. Thanks! James James | 2009-07-22 | 6:22:09 PM wrote: >Using Money 2009 for Small Business. I need to chan...

change all to UPPER
Hi - I've been reading all the postings and none seem to describe exactly what I'm looking for. I need to convert a whole Excel document to UPPER. Please help - I've figured out how to insert the Macros, but I need the formula Thanks! If you must, take a look here: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#upper In article <5F8737A2-A8E6-42DB-8BCD-696097DBEA50@microsoft.com>, "platinumhi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi - > > I've been reading all the postings and none seem to describe exactly what I'm ...

Need User Name and Password

Date changes when email is read
I have recently moved to using Outlook 2003. When email first arrives (IMAP) it has the correct "Date" but as soon as I read the email (or do any action that removes the "unread status") the Date changes to what seems to be GMT. Is there some setting I am missing? I have checked my system timezone etc and this does seem correct. thanks ...

Random Users Calendars not viewable

more then 20 mailboxes
Which component of Outlook seems to cause the problem (Calendar, Inbox, Deleted Items, etc.)? more then 20 Mailboxes Please give a detailed description of the problem (error message, behavior): I use in my Outlook more than 20 Mailboxes. So I can manage all incomming mails. But the mailbox-names are unsorted. So I need a lot of time to find the right inbox. Is it possible that I can sort the mailboxes after the name? Which troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? nothing, I would like to sort the mailing-boxes. Have you installed new software or hardware or changed something else on you...

Change Print Form
Anyone know how to change the format of the Case that prints out? Example, I'd liek to add my Compnay Logo to and a signature line so we can print the case prior to going to the client site and provide a copy of the Case for thier records as well as get sign off of the work being completed. As far as I know you have to use reports to customize prints. But if anyone knows how to change the standard printouts (for me for orders etc.)? Greetings, Wolfgang. "Jclark" wrote: > Anyone know how to change the format of the Case that prints out? Example, > I'd liek to...