User can't change any permissions on their own mailbox...

Hello,

We have a user with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. They logon to Windows as
themselves, open Outlook 2003 and cannot modify any of the permissions
on any of their folders - they get a "the modifed permissions could
not be saved, client operation failed" error.

Everything else works, they can move and even delete folders.

Any ideas? Already tried the usual like deleting the Outlook profile.
Can't see anything strange in AD.

Thanks,

- Alan.
0
Alan

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 05:47:17 -0800 (PST), Alan <bruguy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>We have a user with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. They logon to Windows as
>themselves, open Outlook 2003 and cannot modify any of the permissions
>on any of their folders - they get a "the modifed permissions could
>not be saved, client operation failed" error.
>
>Everything else works, they can move and even delete folders.
>
>Any ideas? Already tried the usual like deleting the Outlook profile.
>Can't see anything strange in AD.

Define "strange". Then tell us what you think you should see, and then
what you do see. Nobody can tell what you mean if you're not at least
a little bit specific.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
11/14/2009 4:30:30 PM
This pretty much says it all:

> >We have a user with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. They logon to Windows as
> >themselves, open Outlook 2003 and cannot modify any of the permissions
> >on any of their folders - they get a "the modifed permissions could
> >not be saved, client operation failed" error.
>
> >Everything else works, they can move and even delete folders.

We haven't made any AD changes to the permissions, so nothing
"strange" there.

I've tried adding a delegate user to reset the ACLs - no difference.

Thanks.

On Nov 14, 5:30=A0pm, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richn...@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 05:47:17 -0800 (PST), Alan <bru...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >We have a user with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. They logon to Windows as
> >themselves, open Outlook 2003 and cannot modify any of the permissions
> >on any of their folders - they get a "the modifed permissions could
> >not be saved, client operation failed" error.
>
> >Everything else works, they can move and even delete folders.
>
> >Any ideas? Already tried the usual like deleting the Outlook profile.
> >Can't see anything strange in AD.
>
> Define "strange". Then tell us what you think you should see, and then
> what you do see. Nobody can tell what you mean if you're not at least
> a little bit specific.
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

0
Alan
11/15/2009 6:57:37 PM
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:57:37 -0800 (PST), Alan <bruguy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>This pretty much says it all:
>
>> >We have a user with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. They logon to Windows as
>> >themselves, open Outlook 2003 and cannot modify any of the permissions
>> >on any of their folders - they get a "the modifed permissions could
>> >not be saved, client operation failed" error.

No, it really says nothing except to describe the symptoms. Think of
it as telling your mechanic that your car, but not another person's
car, is "acting strangely" and you want to know how to fix it -- but
the car's at home and he can't drive it, see it, or listen to it or
the other person's car. How do you think that would work out?

>> >Everything else works, they can move and even delete folders.
>
>We haven't made any AD changes to the permissions, so nothing
>"strange" there.

So you don't really know what to look for or what you're seeing? And
you assume the problem's on the server because . . .

>I've tried adding a delegate user to reset the ACLs - no difference.

If you suspect a problem with the ACEs in the ACL why not try using
PFDAVAdmin to check them? Or maybe describe what you think is the
problem with them?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
11/15/2009 8:07:36 PM
I've zero interest in getting argumental Rich.

I've descibed the exact problem as we see it in Outlook and said that
we've done nothing in AD (or Exchange) on the permissions for these
mailboxes. I'm presuming it's most-likely Exchange or AD-based simply
because they are Exchange mailboxes not using POP, IMAP, HTTP or some
other generic protocol.

I don't know what other info to post or if that's even wrong. Profuse
apologies for my ignorance - if I knew what was causing it, I wouldn't
waste your valuable time.

Let me just post this in an Outlook forum. Thanks for replying so
promptly anyways.

On Nov 15, 9:07=A0pm, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richn...@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:57:37 -0800 (PST), Alan <bru...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >This pretty much says it all:

> No, it really says nothing except to describe the symptoms. Think of
> it as telling your mechanic that your car, but not another person's
> car, is "acting strangely" and you want to know how to fix it -- but
> the car's at home and he can't drive it, see it, or listen to it or
> the other person's car. How do you think that would work out?

> >We haven't made any AD changes to the permissions, so nothing
> >"strange" there.
>
> So you don't really know what to look for or what you're seeing? And
> you assume the problem's on the server because . . .
>
> >I've tried adding a delegate user to reset the ACLs - no difference.
>
> If you suspect a problem with the ACEs in the ACL why not try using
> PFDAVAdmin to check them? Or maybe describe what you think is the
> problem with them?
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

0
Alan

disabled user still sending auto-reply
It is noticed a disabled (but not yet deleted)user is still sending auto-reply once a mail addressed to this user. Is it an expected behavior, or something not right? (I am expecting mail sending to disabled user will get a non-delivery report.) server: E2K3 On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:39:07 +1100, "tree leafs" <treeleafs@hotmail.com> wrote: >It is noticed a disabled (but not yet deleted)user is still sending >auto-reply once a mail addressed to this user. Is it an expected behavior, >or something not right? It's expected as long as there's...

User losing Outlook access
I posted my problem yesterday, you can look below for a detail of a user that, throughout the day, loses access to particular folders, attachments and function in Outlook. I unintalled and reinstalled with the same problem, leading me to start considering mailbox corruption. Is there a tool that can fixup a single user's mailbox on Exhchange 2003, or do I have to run a repair on the entire mail store. No point in restoring from backup, as this problem has existed for a while and will have been backed up as such. Any thoughts? TIA, Steve Try posting to an Exchange group as they...

mfc/c++ -> emulate user using ssh
I'm having to do things "the hardway" because an organization won't let me run an application on their box, but the organization has no problem giving me ssh access, so... I need to write an application that will emulate a user that is using ssh to login onto a box and then execute commands as required by the controlling application. I need to be able to keep the connection open between commands. I really don't know what commands/functions/api I need to use (i.e. where to start), but once you point me in the right direction, I'm good to go. Thanks, Rein If my mem...

Free/Busy Permissions #2
When a user running Outlook XP or 2003 schedules a meeting and views other user's (invitee's) free/busy information - I would like for them to be able to hover their mouse over the invitee's meeting (blue box) and read the details of the meeting. I understand that by default user's calendars are not publically viewable and I am aware that users can go to the properties of their calendar and change the default client permission to editor or reviewer. What I'm looking for is a global way to set this permission for an Exchange Organization, Administrative Group, etc...

Change option group border to rectangle ?
I have an option group with 3 radio buttons. I now decide I want to convert to independent checkboxes and have the border be a rectangle not an option group. I right clicked but there is no 'convert to' option. when I select the option group, and do delete, it deletes all my controls. I just need to convert the option group border to a rectangle. How? On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:50:03 -0700, mscertified wrote: > I have an option group with 3 radio buttons. I now decide I want to convert > to independent checkboxes and have the border be a rectangle not an option > group. I ...

Different data shown based on user input
Bit of a strange one for you. I have a form which has a number of different tick boxes (unlinked to a recordset). Each tick box represents a field within a number of different tables. What I want to do is to have a user tick a number of fields and click a button which will export only the fields they have ticked/selected into an excel spreadsheet. Does that make sense? Let me know if you want me to explain it any better. Cheers for the help. Maver1ck666 Hi, are you using code to do this and not a macro? The basic process is to build the query using the fields that have been ticked o...

Disable or hide "create multiple users" option in CRM4
Hi, Wondering if anyone can suggest anyway for me to hide or disable users from using the create "Multiple Users" option in CRM4. It is due to the fact that we have some business requried field on the form and when you create a user using "Multiple Users" option, these business required field are left unpopulated. I can create a workflow to ask someone to follow this up, but ideally these information should be populated when the user is created. Many thanks! ...

How do I change the default cell formatting to be text?
I would like Excell to treat all of the cells as text even if they contain numbers, all the time. Is there some way to do this? I am interested in things like ($67,568) being changed to -$67,568 and things of this nature, I am using test to columns and it is always trying to change the format, so I would liek to be able to nit have to click through each column and change its format back to text. in reality my bigger probelm is I would like to create a document in which none of the content can be modified only the formatting. thanks Ian I'm not sure if this helps, but you could use ...

Does a DTD change the default namespace or something?
I'm feeling very stupid about this ... pdf2html (http://pdf2html.sourceforge.net) is an app that reads a PDF and can generate HTML or XML; in my case I'm using the XML. The PDF I'm working with is a concatenation of many reports; my objective is to find the first page of each report, which I've discovered can be found in this particular instance by looking for an xml element with a particular attribute "left" equal to 277. So I want to consume this XML using XPath, to find all "page" elements that contain "text" elements that have an attribute of...

Incoming server address changes to "localhost"
My pop server address frequently changes to local host. And, the incoming server address is then appended to the User Name - preceeded with a "/" Anyone have any idea why this happens? Unfortunately it has happened on my laptop, desktop, and my wife's computer. This even happens with a fresh image (O/S and apps re-installed, with new mail file). I've experienced it with Windows ME, 2000, XP home and XP Pro. Also with Office 2000 and now with Office XP. If I remember correctly (it's been a long time) the only constant is the fact that I have used a gateway. Used to be a...

Hide buttons not needed in user interface
I would like to be able to hide the sales, contracts, and other icons in workplace if not in use. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=83576c07-2698-433d-8c82-0...

Changing programmatically the color of a row #3
Thanks, it has worked!!! But whot is the 1 after the $A ? very thanks -- masterx8 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- masterx81's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1525 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26878 Hi this is the first row. I used a mixed absolute/relative reference. check this if you go in a different cell and look at the formula in the conditional format dialog "masterx81" wrote: > > Thanks, it has worked!!! > > But whot is the 1 after th...

Error 3197 single user database
I've looked through previous answer to this problem but cannot find one that works. I've had the usual message relating to this: The jet database engine stopped because you and another user are attempting to the same data at the same time. I'm using Access 2003 with Windows XP I've tried opening holding the shift key down. I've tried importing into another blank database but get the same error and message. I've tried using the repair database function but also get the same error and message . I think the problem may have ocurred because of a Power failure. I'...

Changing sent from email address
My outlook email account displays the wrong address in sent messages. This means that replies keep getting sent back to sender. Can't find how to change to display correct email address. Type of email account? Have you looked in tools, accounts? It's usually entered in the acct settings. Note that a few ISPs will force the usage of the address assigned to the account logging in - preventing you from using a different address to send using their server. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlo...

how to change the language in Ms office
the language of my office is in German. can anyone tell me how to change it to english? In article 2ee7bd29.0410120537.17e6c650@posting.google.com, luc at tchinlai@yahoo.com wrote on 10/12/04 06:37: > the language of my office is in German. can anyone tell me how to > change it to english? If you mean the menus, dialog boxes, etc. (as opposed to the spelling checker) you can't change that. You'd have to buy an English version. --- Please re-assemble my email address to reply privately if you are so inclined: ramonc at surewest dot net . Otherwise, replies to the Newsg...

how to change the registry settings of another user
Hi, As part of a semi automatic installation and setup of a host I would like to create one administrator account and one ore more (non administrator) user accounts (without passwords) Then I would like to start a script as administrator and change some global and some user specific registry entries. I have problems to modify the settings of another user whle being administrator. The registry entries don't exist). It seems I had to load some 'hive' to be able to access somebody else's registry I did my first tests not with C#, but with python and_winre...

number returns only two decimal places after I change from text
Dear Colleague, When the cell is formatted for text and I change to number, it only returns the number with two decimal places It will not change to a whole number or number with decimals. I tried re-loading the application and that did not work? I have Excel 2000 and sent the file to a 2002 user and it loaded fine. I have seen in other applications from users that for some reason their numbers have quotations marks around them and they can't do formulas. Please help. Thanks. Louis Louis If the numbers are formatted as Text, simply re-formatting to number will not do the trick. ...

Form
I have a continuous FORM with 16 categories and numerous result rows corresponding to each category. I would like to page break the FORM so that the data shows separately by category. How do I accomplish that. Thanks. ...

Display Last Saved By date & User?
Although found under the Properties section, is it possible to display on the worksheet the Last Saved By date and Last Saved By user? Hi Annabelle With code you can do this Copy this event in the Thisworkbook module It will automatic run when you save the file Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Save Time") Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2").Value = ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Author") End Sub -- Re...

Mailbox permissions.
Hi, We run Exchange 2003 on a W2k3 Server in a W2k AD Domain. Single Site for both Domain and Exchange (i.e. AG). Both are in Native mode. Client used is outlook 2003. I have amended permissions on every users mailbox within outlook to allow out Managing Director to access everyones inbox as a reviewer. The same applies to every sent items. Every users also has editor access to everyone elses calendar. Problem is that the MD is now kicking off that she doesn't want users to have the ability to remove her from the permissions list for their inbox. I can't see how I can stop them doi...

How Do I Change The Selected Row?
I tried to change the selected row by doing... ActiveCell.row = 55 I wanted to change the selected cell to row 55. It gives me an error. How can I do this? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Great.. I got it to work by just typing Range("A55").select ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Try: ActiveSheet...

SetWindowsHookEx from service to user window
I can call successfully hook into another window's message proc but the same won't work from a service. Even after turning 'allow to interact with desktop' i still get ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED when calling SetWindowsHookEx. I know it has to do with security, desktops and window stations but I still havent figured it out. I'm not sure if I need an extra thread and which thread needs to be associated with which desktop. This is what I've tried so far: hWnd -> hooked window DWORD thid = GetWindowThreadProcessId(hWnd,NULL); HDESK desk = OpenDesktop("default"...

Change the default Charset
Hello, Outlook is defaulting to iso-8859-1 as a default character set. Is it possible to change this to US-ASCII? Also, I don't know if it is related, but I have trying to send some javascript in my signature (corny I know) and it looks fine in the preview, but never works once the email has arrived at a client (either internally or externally). The message is in HTML format. Cheers What version of Outlook are you using? Have you tried resetting the language under tools->options->Mail format->fonts->international? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to t...

E-mail Addresses Tab Not Displaying in AD Users and Computers
Howdy, With Win2k3 & Exchange 2k3 SP2. I have several users that are not displaying the "E-mail Addresses" Tab on the properties of their user object. As well they do not list in the GAL. Any ideas or pointers would be helpful. Thanks, Dan Foxley That would suggest that they are not mail or mailbox enabled. In ADUC right click, Exchange tasks.... Nue <danfoxley@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1146514613.576153.123400@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Howdy, > > With Win2k3 & Exchange 2k3 SP2. I have several users that are not > displaying the "...

How to change the 'Name' field for inf setup security warning popu
I have a signed driver I'm developing/testing on Windows 7. The Name field appears to be including the Provider and Class description fields from the inf. Since the company name is already in the Publisher field I would like to remove it from the Name field. Is there any way to do this? Thanks, Tom The Windows Security popup is displaying: Would you like to install this device software? Name: Company Name Universal Serial Bus Controller Publisher: Company Name tko <tko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I have a signed driver I'm developing/...