URGENT: Outlook 2003 / Exchange 2003 SP1 communication ports.

Hi,

If anyone could help me with this I would be more than grateful.

We have moved our Exchange Server to a DMZ with public address space, we are
trying to connect Outlook 2003 clients to the server from our private address
space. The routing is all set up correctly as we can ping both ways which
leads me to believe it's a port problem, i.e. I haven't opened enough up.

I've searched TechNet for the relevant documents and have made the needed
changes where necessary. I have set a high static port in the registry on the
exchange server and our domain controllers for RPC AD replication.  I have
also assinged static ports for  MSExchangeSA, MSExchangeIS and MSExchangeSRS
and have allowed my chosen ports for all of this through my firewall. I have
also allowed all needed ports for AD replication through the firewall.

However, my Outlook clients still can't connect to the Exchange server. The
one thing that I did notice was that in the document (kb/270836) it seems to
say that the key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeSA should
exist,  yet it didn't in the registry on the Exchange server. Is this right?
Should I of had to create both the "MSExchangeSA" key and the "Parameters"
sub key? Or am I missing something here?

Anyhelp with this would be great as I'm about to move the server back out of
the DMZ and revert to my old setup...

Cheers,
Dave.
0
dave871 (679)

> I'm about to move the server back out of
> the DMZ

Which by itself is a very good idea and the right thing to do.

Regards,
Boris

P.S. There are lots of articles explaining ports used by Outlook and
Exchange. Did you check out, say, this one:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Secure_your_Exchange_Server_on_the_Internet_for_100.html ?

0
msexpert1 (171)
3/10/2005 11:15:31 PM
"=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> said

> Hi,
>
> If anyone could help me with this I would be more than grateful.
>
> We have moved our Exchange Server to a DMZ with public address space, we
> are trying to connect Outlook 2003 clients to the server from our
> private address space. The routing is all set up correctly as we can
> ping both ways which leads me to believe it's a port problem, i.e. I
> haven't opened enough up.
>
> I've searched TechNet for the relevant documents and have made the
> needed changes where necessary. I have set a high static port in the
> registry on the exchange server and our domain controllers for RPC AD
> replication.  I have also assinged static ports for  MSExchangeSA,
> MSExchangeIS and MSExchangeSRS and have allowed my chosen ports for all
> of this through my firewall. I have also allowed all needed ports for AD
> replication through the firewall.
>
> However, my Outlook clients still can't connect to the Exchange server.
> The one thing that I did notice was that in the document (kb/270836) it
> seems to say that the key
> HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeSA should exist,  yet
> it didn't in the registry on the Exchange server. Is this right? Should
> I of had to create both the "MSExchangeSA" key and the "Parameters" sub
> key? Or am I missing something here?
>
> Anyhelp with this would be great as I'm about to move the server back
> out of the DMZ and revert to my old setup...

It's a much better idea to move the Exchange server out of the DMZ.
If you are worried about having to port forward directly from the public to
the private networks, consider putting an SMTP proxy in the DMZ. I'm
currently using MailMarshal from NetIQ which works fine but if you don't
have the budget for this you could look at something like ASSP
(http://assp.sourceforge.net/)
You place the proxy in the DMZ and forward port 25 on the public address to
port 25 on the SMTP proxy. Then set the firewall rules to allow the SMTP
proxy to talk to the exchange server on port 25 and configure the proxy to
deliver email to the exchange server.

--

Andy.
0

Help, problem with set up Outlook 2003
I have Outlook 2003. When I was setting up Outlook with the wizard, initially I was setting up Outlook to use my office web exchange server. Then it said I needed to be on line. Then I found out that I would only be able to access Outlook when in my office, which I did not want. So then I wanted to cancel this type of set up & not use the server and only wanted to set up an email account. I am unable to change the set up. Outlook keeps trying to access online & connect to the Server ( which was never set up) when I try to cancel my computer freezes up. I don't kn...

Outlook Web
I have a question I was hoping someone might be able to anwer for me. I have 3 computers all running Windows Server 2003. Computer 1 is my DC and acting as my web server. Computer 2 is my SQL Server. Computer 3 I have as my Exchange Server. Now, since my web server is running on COmputer 1, how can I use the functionality of Outlook Web if port 80 is already being forwarded to Computer 1 for my website? Is there some type of configuration that can take place on Computer 1 so it will allow Outlook Web to go to COmputer 3? I hope this is not confusing and any input would be greatly apprec...

Outlook/Exchange 2000 Recurring Messages
We are having a problem with either Outlook 2000 or Exchange 2000. Several users repeatedly are getting their recurring reminders from appointments that have happened years before. I have checked the knowledge base to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this? Steve Have you tried running Outlook once from the start | run line, with the /cleanreminders switch? <"full path to outlook.exe" /cleanreminders> Steve Holtgrewe wrote: > We are having a problem with either Outlook 2000 or > Exchange 2000. Several users repeatedly are getting their > recurring rem...

OUTLOOK EXPRESS 02-21-10
IS THERE ANY WAY TO DELETE A MESSAGE SENT IN ERROR. EMERGENCY. HELP ME PLEASE Not directly! Once you send an email, it resides on the recipient's ISP's server and if the recipient has downlpaded his email message, it resides on the recipient's computer (and alsp may still reside on the ISP's server). Your only chance is to call the recipient's ISP and ask if the recipient has downloaded hos email. If noy, ask the ISP to delete the email from the server. Steve santus@penn.com "Dick G./AKA: Richard" <grismo@verizon.net> wrote in me...

how to get info from outlook express to outlook
I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A NEW COMPUTER. ON MY OLD COMPUTER I WAS USING OUTLOOK EXPRESS AND NOW I WANT TO USE MICROSOFT OUTLOOK ON MY NEW COMPUTER. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN GET MY INFORMATION OFF MY OLD ONE TO MY NEW ONE. I HAVE FOLDERS SET UP IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS WITH SEVERAL DIFFERENT EMAILS IN THERE. I DIDN'T KNOW IF THERE WAS A WAY TO GET ALL M INFORMATION TRANSFERRED TO MY NEW COMPUTER FROM MY OLD ONE. PLEASE HELP. THANKS BECKY You need to fix your more serious problem, the broken caps lock key, before we can help you with your question. "becky" <bsba@watchtv.net&g...

Setting up Outlook Connector
I have payed for msn premium service and wish to setup my outlook 2000 to send and receive mail through my hotmail account. Apparently, I need to use outlook connector. Where do I find this software? How do I set it up in outlook. SMTP? POP3? If you are speaking of the Office Outlook Connector for MSN it has not released as of yet. When it does release however you will have to have Outlook 2002 (XP) or 2003 because the connector does not work with Outlook 2000. I hope this information is helpful. Robert Findlay Partner Technical Lead -- Outlook/Office Setup Microsoft Technical Supp...

cannot send email through outlook 2002
When trying to send an email , I get cannot send encrypted email . there are no certificates found OL2002: Unable to send encrypted email when offl (SOX020313700153) TITLE: OL2002: Unable to send encrypted email when offl [SOOPENV ] Encryption continued to work; however, [2002 - W_2660 ] ID: SOX020313700153 CRT:Mar 13 2020 MOD:Mar 13 2020 STS:Cust <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>...

Manage spam with a secondary Exchange account
I'm usion Outlook 2007 with Exchange server and Active Directory. I have multiple Exchange accounts but spam filtering and filters are not working for all the secondary accounts. Also, someone else has the same secondary accounts attached to his own Exchange account. How can we activate filtering on both computer for all the secondary accounts. Thanks. -- Bruno ...

Excel 2003 to Powepoint 2003 chart transfer
I developed a chart in Excel, and when I copy the chart in Excel, and then Paste Special - enhanced or windows metafile, the chart is blank. It just won't paste the chart. Any thoughts on why this occurs and what can be done to fix are appreciated. ...

Outlook icons
Is there a legend somewhere explaining all the Outlook icons? I couldn't find anything in the Help file (Outlook Express has an icon legend in the Help file) or the Support site. I have some emails getting stuck in Outbox and I never saw this icon before. Thanks Joe Germanoski joegerm@hotmail.com Hi Joe, What does it look like? I don't know of an existing legend but it's a nice idea putting one up. Regards, -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "...

Urgent Urgent Urgent Urgent
I am posting this query in continuation to the query posted by Anna (we are colleagues). Our software license is as follows: RMS – Headquarter : a. HQs 5 Store Base Pack RMS Stores Operations : a. 5 Single Store b. 1-3 stations Could you please explain what this 1-3 stations license means? We have a merchandise shop where it is difficult to manage with one POS during the Formula One Race days. We need to have two POS in this shop but the inventory cannot be split into two as this will create a lot of confusion. Is it possible to connect the two POS to a single database so that ...

Microsoft Money 2003 #11
I'm using Microsoft Money 2003 and would like to know how to change where I back up to. I am able to backup to my hard drive, but the only selection for disk is A and I would like to write to CD like D: drive. There is only one choice and that is A: Thanks Punky In microsoft.public.money, Punky wrote: >I'm using Microsoft Money 2003 and would like to know how >to change where I back up to. I am able to backup to my >hard drive, but the only selection for disk is A and I >would like to write to CD like D: drive. There is only >one choice and that is A: Se...

Textbox on chart doesn't print in Office 2003, but does in 2007
I have some charts that I create through C# code on a "template" worksheet and then copy it over to a new worksheet using the following code. When looking at the chart.Shapes, I can see the three Textbox objects that I want and these are the only shapes available. I can see them on the screen in both Excel 2003 and 2007 correctly. When I print in 2003 though, the textboxes don't appear like they do for 2007. Can anyone shed some light on why this might be happening? // Copy the images and charts (note index starts at 1) for (int z = 1; z <= wsTemplate.Shapes.Count; ...

urgent: snap to connectionpoint does not work anymore
Hi, I'm using visio 2000 to draw an UML diagram. After adding several shapes suddenly when trying to add a dependency, binary association, or anything between two classes, the connector does not snap to the connectionpoints of the shapes to connect. I can not add an interface shape to a class neither. When opening another UML diagram (in a different file) it works fine. Thanks for the response. Serge Desmedt. ...

Outlook and Outlook Express #7
I use Outlook express for sending messages and for storing email addresses and I use Outlook for backing up to from my PDA. I am on broadband and the computer is usually left on 24/7 My problem is this, every day or so I sometimes find email address in my Outlook address contacts. I didnt put them there and they gave somehow been transfered from my Outlook Express to my Outlook. I have checked everything I can to try and stop it but I must be missing something. Has anyone got any ideas? Howard ...

HTML signature in Outlook 2007?
Hello, Is there a way to insert an HTML signature in Outlook 2007? Because if you go to Tools -> Options -> Mail Format -> Signatures, you can create some in the embedded editor, but there is no way to do some *REAL* HTML editing (ie: a table, image, etc). Thanks a lot! Carlos If you are thinking about an (animated image or similar)then you cannot = in Office 2007. This is still possible in Office 2003 and before but = this was removed from Office 2007 --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be ackno...

Outlook wants FrontPage
When I try to look at some email messages in Outlook, I get prompted to provide MS FrontPage disc as it tries to open FrontPage. I do have FrontPage installed. I can quickly hit cancel and get around it but is there a setting or something that can prevent this from happening? Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Insert the CD and have Office have it's way. Something probably got damaged. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Br...

microsoft outlook
trying to setup email account using an exchange server. when i setup user in outlook it only gives me pop3 and imap options. where is the microsoft exchange option. ...

Storage Groups In Windows SBS 2003 R2 Premium
As I have writen above, I have Windows SBS 2003R2 Premium and would like to make 2 storage groups and then an mailbox storage in the second storage in the exchange, but I get an error massage: "The Storage group already contains the maximum number of storage allowed" ID No. c1034a7a. How do I get around that problem? Is it possible to sent from multiple domains that is running on the Exchange?? I thank you for the help! FlashBang wrote: > As I have writen above, I have Windows SBS 2003R2 Premium and would > like to make 2 storage groups and then an mailbox storage in t...

Outlook #322
Ok here'smy delima, How do I use one user id on my laptop and have another user use the same user id and use outlook with their information in it. is there a way to switch between users on outlook itself and not have to make another user id? "JB Brooks Sr." <JB Brooks Sr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1838EAB-8769-42D4-895E-E99A8E861A4E@microsoft.com... > Ok here'smy delima, How do I use one user id on my laptop and have another > user use the same user id and use outlook with their information in it. is > there a way to switch between ...

Outlook Anywhere and Out of Office Assistant
I have an Outlook Anywhere connection to my Exchange 2007 server configured in cached exchange mode. Everything seems to work EXCEPT the Out of Office assistant. Whenever I try to use that feature I'm told the server is unavailable. I've been told this was a problem that began with Vista and continues with Win 7 because the client is more "picky" about security issues than were earlier client operating systems. Anyone have experience with this and suggestions for things I can try? I'm new here, hoping for help. Thanks so much, Jim Robertson Did it ever ...

How to import Outlook Express messages into MS Outlook 2007
Hi, My computer runs Windows 7, and I would like to import messages from Outlook Express(My old computer that ran WinXP). I have the .dbx files archived to an external drive, and copied and pasted them to a folder on the windows desktop. When I run the import function in Outlook 2007, I can't get it to point to the folder where the messages are stored. I have a feeling this is not going to work with Windows 7, but if it can, please let me know what I'm doing wrong. If not, is there a way around this to get the messages into Outlook? Thanks in advance. "...

Outlook Express will not send receipt
I have Windows Me, Outlook Express 5.0. I receive emails that request a receipt; I checked send receipt always and tried checking ask me first. It tries to send a receipt but then says something like "outlook was unable to send the receipt" It doesn't tell me why or how to fix it. Can anyone help? Thanks. ...

Outlook 2003 contacts problems
After carrying out a detect and repair on Outlook it returned to its default settings. I must have discarded my customised settings during the detect and repair. I have managed to restore my mail folders and contacts. Searching the web it seems the customised settings/ account settings are not in the pst file and I will have to manually set them up again. My question is about contacts, I can't get the contacts to work as my email addressbook. In contacts when I try contact properties/outlook address book the "show this folder as an e-mail address book" is greyed out. Can ...

using outlook and outlook express on the same computer
I just installed Outlook 2003 on my home computer which runs Windows XP. My wife and I each have a seperate user account on the same computer. I would like to set Outlook as my default email program and my wife would like to continue using OE as her default program. Each time I change a default setting on on account, it seems to change the same setting on all accounts on the computer. Is there a way to do this? Thanks! Create seperate users - His & Hers - for windows, then install OL under His win account/login "Jeffryrb" <Jeffryrb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...