Upgrade Procedures from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently testing the upgrade procedures from Windows
2000/Exchange 2000 to Windows 2003/Exchange 2003.  The upgrade testing
for Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 is going very well.  However, I came
across an unexpected message when attempting to upgrade Exchange 2000
to Exchange 2003.  During the upgrade, a message appeared stating the
following:

The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Service"
can not be assigned the action "upgrade" because:

- Setup has detected that at least one front end server in this
Administrative Group is running an older version of Exchange.  You
must upgrade all front end servers in an Admninistrative Group before
you can upgrade or install a new back end server.  The following front
end servers have not been upgraded:

{Name of Servers}

Maybe I missed something, but I was not aware that front-end servers
needed to be upgraded to Exchange 2003 before a back-end server.  I
searched for documents detailing this procedure but didn't find any.
Our front-end servers are running Exchange 2000.

I'd appreciate your insights in helping to understand why this is the
case, and if anyone can point me to documentation regarding this I'd
appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance,

GOODFELLA

Yes, all Front-End servers have to be 2003 before any back-ends can be
upgraded.

From article:
822178 Overview of Dependencies and Requirements for Exchange Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822178

Note the following  installation and upgrade considerations:

- Although Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later
  is supported in an environment with Windows Server 2003 domain
  controllers and global catalog servers, Exchange Server 2003 is the
  first version of Exchange that is supported on computers that are
  running Windows Server 2003. Exchange 2000 is not supported on Windows
  Server 2003. In a situation where you run Exchange 2000 on a Windows
  2000-based computer and you want to upgrade the operating system to
  Windows Server 2003, you must first upgrade Exchange 2000 to Exchange
  Server 2003. You can then upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2003.

- You must upgrade Active Directory Connectors (ADCs) to the version of
  ADC that is included in Exchange Server 2003 before you can install the
  first Exchange Server 2003 server in your organization. The
  installation of the first Exchange Server 2003 ADC increments all
  connection agreement version numbers that are hosted on the server.

- For front-end and back-end servers in the same administrative group,
  you must upgrade the front-end servers to Exchange Server 2003 (or
  install Exchange Server 2003 on the front-end server) before you
  upgrade the back-end server to Exchange Server 2003 (or install
  Exchange Server 2003 on the back-end server.

- Exchange Server 2003 can coexist with Exchange 2000. Exchange Server
  2003 can also coexist with Exchange Server 5.5 when you are running in
  Exchange mixed mode. You can perform an in-place upgrade from Exchange
  2000 to Exchange Server 2003; however, an in-place upgrade from
  Exchange 5.5 to Exchange Server 2003 is not supported.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: goodfella749@yahoo.com (GOODFELLA)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>Subject: Upgrade Procedures from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003
>Date: 10 Jun 2004 13:11:32 -0700
>
>Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
>
>I am currently testing the upgrade procedures from Windows
>2000/Exchange 2000 to Windows 2003/Exchange 2003.  The upgrade testing
>for Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 is going very well.  However, I came
>across an unexpected message when attempting to upgrade Exchange 2000
>to Exchange 2003.  During the upgrade, a message appeared stating the
>following:
>
>The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Service"
>can not be assigned the action "upgrade" because:
>
>- Setup has detected that at least one front end server in this
>Administrative Group is running an older version of Exchange.  You
>must upgrade all front end servers in an Admninistrative Group before
>you can upgrade or install a new back end server.  The following front
>end servers have not been upgraded:
>
>{Name of Servers}
>
>Maybe I missed something, but I was not aware that front-end servers
>needed to be upgraded to Exchange 2003 before a back-end server.  I
>searched for documents detailing this procedure but didn't find any.
>Our front-end servers are running Exchange 2000.
>
>I'd appreciate your insights in helping to understand why this is the
>case, and if anyone can point me to documentation regarding this I'd
>appreciate that as well.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>GOODFELLA

0
rroddy (682)
6/11/2004 1:46:21 PM
"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We are REALLY stuck on this one.  How do you maintain high availability if your FE is down during the upgrade?  Can we install a 2003 FE next to our 2000 FE?

Yes, you can.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM>
>Subject: Re: Upgrade Procedures from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003
>Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:25:36 -0400
>
>"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>We are REALLY stuck on this one.  How do you maintain high availability
if your FE is down during the upgrade?  Can we install a 2003 FE next to
our 2000 FE?

>Yes, you can.
>
>--
>Rich Matheisen
>MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
rroddy (682)
6/28/2004 12:13:04 PM
"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Great - Thanks for the fast replies...  Do we need to make the original FE and backend server first, or can we just ignore the warning?

Upgrade the 2000 FE. Then the 2000 BE. You can't ignore the warning.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Either upgrade the original Exchange 2000 FE or remove the Front-End option
from it. Either will work for you.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM>
>Subject: Re: Upgrade Procedures from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003
>Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:14:58 -0400
>
>"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Great - Thanks for the fast replies...  Do we need to make the original
FE and backend server first, or can we just ignore the warning?

>Upgrade the 2000 FE. Then the 2000 BE. You can't ignore the warning.
>
>--
>Rich Matheisen
>MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
rroddy (682)
7/1/2004 10:53:52 AM
To answer to the original post,  yes all servers designated as front end
servers must be upgraded before the backend servers can be.  Can't really
have an E2K frontend box talking with a E2K3 backend box now can we,  it
would be mass hysteria, cats and dogs living together....what would this
world come to.

Todd

"Juliano" <Juliano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "GOODFELLA" wrote:
>
>> Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> I am currently testing the upgrade procedures from Windows
>> 2000/Exchange 2000 to Windows 2003/Exchange 2003.  The upgrade testing
>> for Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 is going very well.  However, I came
>> across an unexpected message when attempting to upgrade Exchange 2000
>> to Exchange 2003.  During the upgrade, a message appeared stating the
>> following:
>>
>> The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Service"
>> can not be assigned the action "upgrade" because:
>>
>> - Setup has detected that at least one front end server in this
>> Administrative Group is running an older version of Exchange.  You
>> must upgrade all front end servers in an Admninistrative Group before
>> you can upgrade or install a new back end server.  The following front
>> end servers have not been upgraded:
>>
>> {Name of Servers}
>>
>> Maybe I missed something, but I was not aware that front-end servers
>> needed to be upgraded to Exchange 2003 before a back-end server.  I
>> searched for documents detailing this procedure but didn't find any.
>> Our front-end servers are running Exchange 2000.
>>
>> I'd appreciate your insights in helping to understand why this is the
>> case, and if anyone can point me to documentation regarding this I'd
>> appreciate that as well.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> GOODFELLA
>
> I have the same problem...
> but i cannot upgrade it because the server that appears, is the Name of an
> old server that isn't used here anymore.. someone knows how i can track
> info
> about this old server in my AD? I lost... plzzz help me.. i used
> ntdsutil....
> but i could not find...
>
> sincerely, Juliano

Problem with Outlook 2003 (Cached Exchange Mode)
This user is insisting on using Cached Exchange Mode. The problem is that when it is turned on, it will not bring in mail beyond 2 days ago (ie. Tuesday and today). If I turn it off, he can see his inbox like normal (ie. Tues and today mail). At the bottom right hand corner of the screen, it says that the Inbox was last updated just a few minutes ago. I tried renaming his ost and let it recreate it. Also, if I log onto his machine as Administrator for the domain and create an Outlook profile for him from that logon. That uses a completely different .ost file in a totally different Windows...

Exchange 2003 Event ID 9322
We have an Exchange organization with 110 servers, about 40% of them are Exchange 2003 SP 2, the rest are Exchange 2000 SP 3. We are in the process of upgrading them. We have no 5.5 servers and are running in Native mode (no pre-2000 servers allowed). Yesterday we rebuilt on of the 2 primary bridgeheads for the entire organization. After we brought it back online and made it the master in the rotuing groups, then added it to all of the conenctors both local and remote, we began getting the following warnings in the event logs: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeMTA Event Category: In...

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Outlook 2003 Desktop Icon.
After removing Office XP and installing Office 2003, the Outlook Desktop icon disappeared. I would like to have it back, because it contains certain functions a normal shortcut doesn't have. Strangely, when I reinstall Office XP the Outlook XP Desktop icon appears. However, after installing again Office 2003 there's again no Outlook 2003 Desktop icon. I working with Windows XP Professional edition. This is normal and part of the new software requirements for Windows XP. (During the beta, adding the icon back via a reg hack introduced odd error messages.) Instead you can try thi...

Access 2003 macro problem
I've been developing with Access '97 for quite some time. But now that we've moved all of our customers to Access 2003 I'm going to do all of the development with that tool. I have a macro which worked great in '97. The macro was invoked by using the keystroke combination Ctrl-E. In a macro named Autokeys, the Macro Name is ^e and the action is the name of a Public Sub in a Module. When invoked with Ctrl-E while the cursor was positioned on the declaration line of a new Sub or Function (either in a Module or a Form's Class Module, etc.) it would create a skeleton...

Meeting Updates after applying Exchange Time Zone Tool
How do appointment updates work when applying the client os dst and the exchange timezone tool? I have read the meeting updates are sent after the exchange tool runs. Does Outlook sends meeting updates to the other recipients even if both host/attendee are in the same Exchange site and both clients have been updated with the dst update? In this scenario, it seems like there isn't anything that needs to be updated. On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:41:05 -0800, Davidi <Davidi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do appointment updates work when applying the client os dst and the...

Exchange pop3 does not respond
Windows 2003 server Exchange 2003 sp1 Macafee Groupshield We when shutdown the server and bring it back up the pop3 will not accept connections from clients and does not generate a Error. When you check the services the pop3 is running, but when you go to stop restart just the pop3 service it will fail to start and just show starting in the status. We must then reboot the server again, wait for all the services to start up then stop IIS and its dependency (which include pop3) restart those dependencies then restart pop3 and it works. However, today we did manage to get a error. Event ...

Backing Up Contacts in Outlook 2000
I have MS Office 2000 installed in my PC and use Outlook 2000 solely for Contact Data . I have all my APPLICATIONS installed on the C: which is where XP Pro SP2 is also installed. I use the D drive for DATA and back up all the data each day using Second Copy. This works OK for all the data except the Outlook Contact data which I understand is contained in the file "contacts.pst" I cannot find the path for this file so cannot , therefore backup this data. How do I find the PATH for this file so that I can point Second Copy to it so that it too will be included in the daily b...

Exchange 5.5 event id 2042
Unable to get the AppleTalk network address of the Microsoft Exchange Server computer Is somebody know this error message? event id: 2042 on exchange 5.5 Thanks! Julie ...

Reading Pane in Outlook 2003
Is there a way, in outlook 2003, to disable the reading pane on all folders and to set the default for newly created folders to be disabled? eli silverman <elisilverman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way, in outlook 2003, to disable the reading pane on all > folders and to set the default for newly created folders to be > disabled? Start Outlook using the /nopreview switch. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook 2003 sometimes very slow to retrieve
I'm using Outlook 2003 with Windows 2000. It's accessing several email accounts (same ones as Outlook 2000 was before upgrading). With one account in particular, retrieval slowed to a few bytes a second (not KB, bytes). I had 70+ messages backed up while it was crawling. I opened Outlook 2000 on another machine on the same network, and all the files came down in 30 seconds or less. Are there any particular settings to look for ? It's not accessing Exchange Server - just an email POP3 host. Thanks, Tom ...

Convert Access 2.0 to Access 2000
I need to convert an Access 2.0 database running in Windows 3.95 on one computer to Access 2000 in Windows 98 on another computer on our network. I don't even know where to start. Would there be any benefit to doing an intermediate conversion from 2.0 to 97 and then from 97 to 2000? That is an option for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. > Would there be any benefit to doing an intermediate > conversion from 2.0 to 97 and then from 97 to 2000? That Yes, some things will break in converting from 2.0 to 97, and you can fix them before converting from 97 to...

Installing Office 2000 (Word) on XP with pre-installed 2007
I installed my copy of Office 2000 on a 6-months old XP computer that had Office 2007 pre-installed. Thereafter, Excel 2000 works but when I open Word 2000, I get a blank document, as expected, but no tools or buttons at the top. I believe 2000 is trying to use tool files from 2007. I have tried to load Office 2000 into its own directory named "Microsoft Office 2000" but the install does not allow me to select the program files subdirectory. Could I temporarily change the "\Microsoft Office" subdirectory name which contains Office 2007 to "\Microsoft ...

moving Exchange to another drive
I'd like to move Exchange 2003 from the C: drive to the D: drive. How can I go about doing this? Thank you. If you mean the executables you'll probably want to do a reinstall. If you mean databases and log files you can just change the path within Exchange System Manager. For example, properties of the Storage group will let you change the log file path. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915/en-us Nue "Glenn" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eDZo3tgYGHA.1228@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'd like to move Exchange 2003 from the C: drive to the D: d...

Upgrading the CPU?

8.0 Upgrade

unable to drag scrollbar in excell 2000
I have office 2000 installed on my xp home sp2 machine and when i click on the scroll bar in excel to drag it to the required point on the worksheet it just jumps to the end of the sheet in effect acting like a page up or down button. i am actually clicking on the scroll bar as i now clicking under it has the same effect. has anyone come across this or have a fix? i have a wheel mouse and can scroll down the page with that but this is starting to bug me now.. any suggestions greatly appreciated ...

Can't e-mail from Word 2000 using Outlook 2002/XP
After "upgrading" Outlook 2000 SP-1 to Outlook 2002, I can't create a Word letter from within Outlook or send a file to a recipient from within Word. When I try to create a letter from within Outlook, I get the error "To use this feature you must install the version of Microsoft Word that matches the installed version of Microsoft Outlook". I've tried The Outlook 2002 "repair", and even uninstalled it and re-installed Outlook 2000 SP-1. In that configuration, the software worked fine. But when I "upgraded" again to Outlook 2002, it was br...

Announcement Coming: Holiday Card Contest 2003
Keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming details and full announcement for the 2nd Annual Microsoft Publisher Holiday Greeting Card contest! Stay tuned........ Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.kvalheim.org ...

Netscape browser; Outlook/Exchange email
Our organization's default email client is MS Outlook and default browser is Netscape. Is there a way to configure Netscape so that, in response to html mailto in the browser, either a) Outlook opens rather than Netscape Mail, or b) Netscape mail uses the exchange server? Thanks Dave dgmoore@erols.com <dgmoore@erols.com> wrote: > Our organization's default email client is MS Outlook and default > browser is Netscape. Is there a way to configure Netscape so that, in > response to html mailto in the browser, either a) Outlook opens rather > than Netscape Mail, or b)...

Urgent. configuration Exchange 2003
Good morning, I need to configure Exchange 2003 so that certain users can only receive and to send internal emails. Can they tell me exactly where I should configure it? Thank you Can you throw a hand? "Miguel A." <ma.camaleonNOSPAM@gmail.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:%23UXBupN0GHA.4408@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Good morning, > > I need to configure Exchange 2003 so that certain users can only receive > and to send internal emails. Can they tell me exactly where I should > configure it? > > Thank you > ...

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

Exchange Active Sync
Recently migrated a test user from exchange 2003 to our newly implemented exchange 2010. Everything works except Active Synch. I can no longer connect to server, which is still an exchange 2003 Bridgehead server. How can I get the Bridgehead to know to connect to exchange 2010 active synch. This worked before between sites with exchange 2003 and the bridgehead. Thanks, CK72264 Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WPF GridView Sample To Insert, Update, and Delete Records http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/fc9a5bf6-f5bb-4443-a92a-c9a46fd3aeb2/wp...