Upgrade from NT 4.0/Ex5.5 to Windows Server 2003/Exchange2003

I'm presently working at a client site and they presently have one NT4 PDC
Server and 2 NT4 BDCs in the same domain XYZDom. The BDCs have Ex5.5 running
in the different organizations/domains i.e xyz.com and xyzafrik.com. Each Ex
5.5 server hosts different domain mailboxes i.e john@xyz.com and the client
use outlook to check their mails, and the other ex 5.5 server hosts
john@xyzafrik.com and the client use outlook express to check their mails.
The xyzafrik.com server acts as a POP3 server.

I did an in-place upgrade of the PDC to server 2003 and i was only able to
migrate mailboxes from one of the Ex5.5 server hosting the xyz.com domain
after installing the ADC connector and installing Exchage 2003 on the
Server.i.e i was only able to migrate a mailbox of say john@xyz.com. I
installed another server2003 server in another forest and then installed Ex
2003 to manage the xyzafrik.com domain. The other john@xyzafrik.com is on the
other exchange 2003 server in its own forest root domain xyzafrik.com. The
two servers are on the same LAN

Each Ex 2003 server has a public IP address that has been NATed, a default
gateway(router) and also the ISPs DNS IP addresses. The NT 4 domain was
XYZDom and after upgrading to server 2003 the DNS domain name is XYZ.com,
though the clients still log-on to xyzDom. IS THERE A WAY THAT THE CLIENTS
CAN LOG ON TO XYZ.COM?

IS IT POSSIBLE TO HOST THE TWO DOMAINS, XYZ.COM AND XYZAFRIK.COM ON A SINGLE
EX 2003 SERVER SO THAT I WOULD HAVE JOHN@XYZ.COM AND THE USER WHOULD USE
OUTLOOK TO CHECK HIS MAIL AND ALSO JOHN@XYZAFRIK.COM AND THE SAME USER WOULD
USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS TO CHECK HIS MAIL?

Also, from the queues of the ex 2003 server there are so many funny e-mail
addresses. How can I get rid of them?

Presently i have one win 2003 server for the xyz.com(xyzdom)domain running
ex 2003 for the xyz.com domain. The clients connect to this domain. I have
the SMTP virtual server running with port 2225 and i've configured an SMTP
connector. I have a user say, john@xyz.com. He can send and receive mails. I
have the McAfee Group Shield installed on the Server. The SMTP port number
had to be changed so that there won't be a confict with the McAfee Group
Shield.

I have another Win 2003 server for the xyzafrik.com domain running ex 2003
for the xyzafrik.com domain. The clients use outlook express to connect to
the Ex 2003 server acting as a POP server. I have the SMTP virtual server
running with port 2225 and i've configured an SMTP connector. I've also
enabled the POP service. I have a user say, john@xyzafrik.com. He cannot send
and receive mails using outlook express. I have the McAfee Group Shield
installed on the Server. How can i solve these problems.

Thanks in advance

0
tayoajax (12)

inline...

"tayoajax" <tayoajax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

connector. I have a user say, john@xyz.com. He can send and receive mails. I
have the McAfee Group Shield installed on the Server. The SMTP port number
had to be changed so that there won't be a confict with the McAfee Group
Shield.

I have another Win 2003 server for the xyzafrik.com domain running ex 2003
for the xyzafrik.com domain. The clients use outlook express to connect to
the Ex 2003 server acting as a POP server. I have the SMTP virtual server
running with port 2225 and i've configured an SMTP connector. I've also
enabled the POP service. I have a user say, john@xyzafrik.com. He cannot
send
and receive mails using outlook express. I have the McAfee Group Shield
installed on the Server. How can i solve these problems.
>> need more information.  can the other users send mail?  if so, what's

Thanks in advance

0
missy7897 (16)
2/18/2005 7:10:37 PM

"Missy Koslosky [MVP]" wrote:

> inline...
>
> "tayoajax" <tayoajax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm presently working at a client site and they presently have one NT4 PDC
> Server and 2 NT4 BDCs in the same domain XYZDom. The BDCs have Ex5.5 running
> in the different organizations/domains i.e xyz.com and xyzafrik.com. Each Ex
> 5.5 server hosts different domain mailboxes i.e john@xyz.com and the client
> use outlook to check their mails, and the other ex 5.5 server hosts
> john@xyzafrik.com and the client use outlook express to check their mails.
> The xyzafrik.com server acts as a POP3 server.
> >>[missy] are these servers in the same Exchange organization, or separate
> >>organizations?
>
> THE SERVERS ARE IN SEPARATE ORGANIZATIONS

> I did an in-place upgrade of the PDC to server 2003 and i was only able to
> migrate mailboxes from one of the Ex5.5 server hosting the xyz.com domain
> after installing the ADC connector and installing Exchage 2003 on the
> Server.i.e i was only able to migrate a mailbox of say john@xyz.com. I
> installed another server2003 server in another forest and then installed Ex
> 2003 to manage the xyzafrik.com domain. The other john@xyzafrik.com is on
> the
> other exchange 2003 server in its own forest root domain xyzafrik.com. The
> two servers are on the same LAN
> >> this does not sound promising. how big are the organizations - how many
> >> mailboxes and how much data?

EACH SERVER HOSTA 110 USERS

> Each Ex 2003 server has a public IP address that has been NATed, a default
> gateway(router) and also the ISPs DNS IP addresses. The NT 4 domain was
> XYZDom and after upgrading to server 2003 the DNS domain name is XYZ.com,
> though the clients still log-on to xyzDom. IS THERE A WAY THAT THE CLIENTS
> CAN LOG ON TO XYZ.COM?
> >> are the clients' workstations members of the xyz.com domain?

THE CLIENTS LOG ON TO XYZ.COM ONLY

> IS IT POSSIBLE TO HOST THE TWO DOMAINS, XYZ.COM AND XYZAFRIK.COM ON A SINGLE
> EX 2003 SERVER SO THAT I WOULD HAVE JOHN@XYZ.COM AND THE USER WHOULD USE
> OUTLOOK TO CHECK HIS MAIL AND ALSO JOHN@XYZAFRIK.COM AND THE SAME USER WOULD
> USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS TO CHECK HIS MAIL?
> >> absolutely. although i'd be ditching OE as fast as humanly possible and
> >> have all the clients use outlook with MAPI, ditching the POP3.
> THE USERS STILL WANT TO USE OE AND OUTLOOK SIMULTANEOUSLY

> Also, from the queues of the ex 2003 server there are so many funny e-mail
> addresses. How can I get rid of them?
> >> need more information.  "funny" is relative.  probably spam though.
> >> delete them if you think it's safe.

THE ADDRESSES ARE NOT REAL, LIKE YAHO.COM, HOTMAIL.CK ETC. I CANNOT DELETE
THEM

> Presently i have one win 2003 server for the xyz.com(xyzdom)domain running
> ex 2003 for the xyz.com domain. The clients connect to this domain. I have
> the SMTP virtual server running with port 2225 and i've configured an SMTP
> connector. I have a user say, john@xyz.com. He can send and receive mails. I
> have the McAfee Group Shield installed on the Server. The SMTP port number
> had to be changed so that there won't be a confict with the McAfee Group
> Shield.
>
> I have another Win 2003 server for the xyzafrik.com domain running ex 2003
> for the xyzafrik.com domain. The clients use outlook express to connect to
> the Ex 2003 server acting as a POP server. I have the SMTP virtual server
> running with port 2225 and i've configured an SMTP connector. I've also
> enabled the POP service. I have a user say, john@xyzafrik.com. He cannot
> send
> and receive mails using outlook express. I have the McAfee Group Shield
> installed on the Server. How can i solve these problems.
> >> need more information.  can the other users send mail?  if so, what's
> >> different about our friend john?

ALL THE USERS CANNOT SENT AND RECEIVE MAILS USINH THEIR @XYZAFRIK.COM
ADDRESS.

> Thanks in advance

0
tayoajax (12)

Problem with Outlook 2003 (Cached Exchange Mode)
This user is insisting on using Cached Exchange Mode. The problem is that when it is turned on, it will not bring in mail beyond 2 days ago (ie. Tuesday and today). If I turn it off, he can see his inbox like normal (ie. Tues and today mail). At the bottom right hand corner of the screen, it says that the Inbox was last updated just a few minutes ago. I tried renaming his ost and let it recreate it. Also, if I log onto his machine as Administrator for the domain and create an Outlook profile for him from that logon. That uses a completely different .ost file in a totally different Windows...

Exchange 2003 Event ID 9322
We have an Exchange organization with 110 servers, about 40% of them are Exchange 2003 SP 2, the rest are Exchange 2000 SP 3. We are in the process of upgrading them. We have no 5.5 servers and are running in Native mode (no pre-2000 servers allowed). Yesterday we rebuilt on of the 2 primary bridgeheads for the entire organization. After we brought it back online and made it the master in the rotuing groups, then added it to all of the conenctors both local and remote, we began getting the following warnings in the event logs: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeMTA Event Category: In...

Forms #5
Is there a way to change the font size for text in a Combo Box (from th Forms toolbar? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi AFAIK this is not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Is there a way to change the font size for text in a Combo Box (from > the Forms toolbar?) > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Outlook 2003 Desktop Icon.
After removing Office XP and installing Office 2003, the Outlook Desktop icon disappeared. I would like to have it back, because it contains certain functions a normal shortcut doesn't have. Strangely, when I reinstall Office XP the Outlook XP Desktop icon appears. However, after installing again Office 2003 there's again no Outlook 2003 Desktop icon. I working with Windows XP Professional edition. This is normal and part of the new software requirements for Windows XP. (During the beta, adding the icon back via a reg hack introduced odd error messages.) Instead you can try thi...

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Help Desk Module for CRM 4.0
Is there a help desk module for IT service management that the end users and the IT department with CRM 4.0 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=624233e3-6ef9-44...

What's wrong with the relication server?
Anything wrong here? It's Win2k3 and E2k3. Thanks Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeSRS Event Category: Internal Processing Event ID: 1400 Date: 2/7/2007 Time: 4:38:21 PM User: N/A Computer: ExServer Description: The Microsoft Exchange Site Replication Service could not initialize its Exchange database (EDB) and returned error 1. The Site Replication Service will wait in a semi-running state so the database can be restored from backup and the SRS can mount it. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. Ray On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:41:40 -0...

Re: Wave 4
They've made it much more like Forte Agent, with respect to a multiplicity of choices -- but a better GUI. Nancy ...

win CE 6.0 build error
Im running MIPSII CPU on Win CE 6.0 everything was well on building BSP until I updated R3 and several QFE for Win CE 6.0 from Jan --> Aug 2009. sysgen ERROR is the one I get - it fails within a minute of SYSGEN or clean SYSGEN the folliwing is what I get from build.log at \WINCE600\ -------------------- icrosoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 8.00.50727.42 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. -nodefaultlib -include:DllMain -entry:_DllMainCRTStartup -pdb:C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\build_test\build_test\Wince600\simuMIPSII_MIPSII\cesysgen\oak\target\MIPSI...

Windows Conversion
I have an Access 2000 database which runs perfectly until i loaded it on a new machine. This machine was loaded with Windows 2000 and Access 2000 but it behaves in an odd way. When I go to a pop up form it looses track of the current record when returning to the main part of the system and it appears to do this randomly, sometimes it is OK then it all collapses! I suspect that it may be due to later updates in Windows that somehow make it not backward compatible. I have tried the database on different older machines and in Access 2002, 2003 and it is all OK there. Any suggestions p...

newbie question #5
Hi all, I'm fairly new with working with exchange, and recently came across this problem: I want to receive e-mail from another domain that we bought. There are plenty of tutorials on the web that explain how this is done, and they all come down to the same: add it to the recipient policies. And so I did. The policy is made, all users have their extra address, I applied the policy, I updated the recipient update services... but still all e-mail to this domain arrives at the postmasters' inbox. Another thing: internally it seems to work fine. So it just applies to e-mail coming...

Unable to see any data folder in smartlist on the server
Dear All, Unable to see any data folder in smartlist on the server all the smartlist left side panel is empty even with sa user on the server for GP9.0 whereas it's ok on all the client machines. I click and unlick all the options in smart list security options and no changes happen. Could u please help me to solve this issue. Thanks in advance. -- Developer Hi, Check the regional options for the server, under advanced tab make sure the language selected work with GP SQL Collation. "Dexdev" wrote: > > Dear All, > > Unable to see any data folder in smar...

Resource Scheduling #4
We currently use Outlook 2002 and exchange server 5.5. We have a group of users who are tutors. The tutor's appointments are scheduled by a scheduling team. We understand how to allow the scheduling team the correct permissions to make entries in the tutors' diaries using delegate permissions, however, we want to create a situation where the tutors can make entries in their own diaries but cannot change entries made by the scheduling team. We carried out the following on a test tutor diary in Outlook. Tools Options; Calendar Options; Resource Scheduling, we ticked the option...

MS SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Add-n for MS Sharepoint CUub
I am trying to get SQL Reporting Services installed in the MOSS 2007 test environment (SP2). After my servers and Farm are set up and running, I install MS SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Add-in for MS Sharepoint Technologies. When I try to build a cube (which worked before I installed the add-in), my cube build services breaks with an ActiveX Component Can't Create error I've searched the internet high and low for a workaround, but the only one I find that works is removing the Add-in. Not a good choice as we want this running to mirror our production. I se...

Money 3.0 XP and Networking Query
Hi, I have a client who is using money 3 for personal purposes for keeping track of shares and dividends and such. I realise Money 3 is very old (looks like it was for windows 3.1!) but he does not wish to upgrade to a newer version of money which is more complicated and has many features which he will never use. My questions are: 1] Will money 3 work reliably in XP? 2] Has anyone tried using money 3 over a network? i.e. sharing the file and using it on different computers (it would not have to be at the same time).? Otherwise, can you suggest a program that can deal with buying/se...

Outlook 2003 sometimes very slow to retrieve
I'm using Outlook 2003 with Windows 2000. It's accessing several email accounts (same ones as Outlook 2000 was before upgrading). With one account in particular, retrieval slowed to a few bytes a second (not KB, bytes). I had 70+ messages backed up while it was crawling. I opened Outlook 2000 on another machine on the same network, and all the files came down in 30 seconds or less. Are there any particular settings to look for ? It's not accessing Exchange Server - just an email POP3 host. Thanks, Tom ...

Convert Access 2.0 to Access 2000
I need to convert an Access 2.0 database running in Windows 3.95 on one computer to Access 2000 in Windows 98 on another computer on our network. I don't even know where to start. Would there be any benefit to doing an intermediate conversion from 2.0 to 97 and then from 97 to 2000? That is an option for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. > Would there be any benefit to doing an intermediate > conversion from 2.0 to 97 and then from 97 to 2000? That Yes, some things will break in converting from 2.0 to 97, and you can fix them before converting from 97 to...

Error in Scroll window
Hi, thnaks for reading. Dexterity 8, GP 8, SQL I have problems with one scroll window, let me try to explain: In the main window I have two scroll windows each one with information from diferent tables. In both scrolls I have one check box by row, in order to select records. The forst one scroll works properly, but the second one, is my problem. When I start cheking rows, in the second or third record checked, the scroll move all the rows, this mean, the record one are now the fifth record, the second si the first, etc. I appreciate your help Best regards. -- Jorge Diaz C Company: Wa...

Reading Pane in Outlook 2003
Is there a way, in outlook 2003, to disable the reading pane on all folders and to set the default for newly created folders to be disabled? eli silverman <elisilverman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way, in outlook 2003, to disable the reading pane on all > folders and to set the default for newly created folders to be > disabled? Start Outlook using the /nopreview switch. -- Brian Tillman ...

Exchange 5.5 event id 2042
Unable to get the AppleTalk network address of the Microsoft Exchange Server computer Is somebody know this error message? event id: 2042 on exchange 5.5 Thanks! Julie ...

Money 2004 #4
I see that some are using this latest version. So where is the Microsoft info on this product? http://www.microsoft.com/money/default.asp only lists 2003 versions. http://shop.microsoft.com/ only shows 2003 versions http://shop.microsoft.com/special/itsnew/ only says "Coming Soon" Where can I get a list of features so I can make an informed choice between Quicken products and MS Money products? Thanks Brian W In microsoft.public.money, Brian W wrote: > >Where can I get a list of features so I can make an informed choice between >Quicken products and MS Money prod...

0 values in pivot tables
Hello everyone, I have a pivot table and I have a field that calculates the average of scores for certain people according to the number of records that they correctly created in a database. The score is determined by the number of records created correctly divided by the total number of records. In some cases, some people have not created any records. It is grouped like this on the list : Sales Manager Sales Rep Score John Jim 50% John Andy 60% John James 70% John Peter ...

Upgrading the CPU?