Unable to send emails #2

My mail server is not sending out emails.  When I perform an NSLookup on the
server's IP address I get an UNKNOWN for the server name.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

0
TPSchaefer (48)

"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My mail server is not sending out emails.  When I perform an NSLookup on the
>server's IP address I get an UNKNOWN for the server name.
>
>Any ideas would be appreciated.

Fix your DNS or your network connection to your DNS.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>My mail server is not sending out emails.  When I perform an NSLookup on
>>the
>>server's IP address I get an UNKNOWN for the server name.
>>
>>Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Fix your DNS or your network connection to your DNS.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

TPSchaefer (48)
10/11/2004 1:03:54 PM
are your mails stuck in the queue?
"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have looked at DNS and can't seem to find anything wrong.  Surfing the
> internet is fine.  I checked for the servers IP address and it's both in
the
> Forward and reverse sones.
>

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>My mail server is not sending out emails.  When I perform an NSLookup on
> >>the
> >>server's IP address I get an UNKNOWN for the server name.
> >>
> >>Any ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> > Fix your DNS or your network connection to your DNS.
> >
> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
shitij_T (39)
10/11/2004 2:10:26 PM
They were for a while and now I got the "Delayed Message"

"shitij tejpal" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> are your mails stuck in the queue?
> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have looked at DNS and can't seem to find anything wrong.  Surfing the
>> internet is fine.  I checked for the servers IP address and it's both in
> the
>> Forward and reverse sones.
>>

>> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

>> > Fix your DNS or your network connection to your DNS.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Rich Matheisen
>> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
TPSchaefer (48)
10/11/2004 2:54:03 PM
"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have looked at DNS and can't seem to find anything wrong.  Surfing the
>internet is fine.  I checked for the servers IP address and it's both in the
>Forward and reverse sones.

Not having a PTR record wouldn't have an effect on your ability to
access web sites. It may have an effect on your ability to deliver
mail.

You'll have to be more specific about your problem. Outbound mail
should be a SMTP queue with a status of "Retry" if there's a problem
delivering the mail.

If the queue's in a "Retry" state, right-click the queue and look at
it's properties. For what reason is the queue in the "Retry" state?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have looked at DNS and can't seem to find anything wrong.  Surfing the
>>internet is fine.  I checked for the servers IP address and it's both in
>>the
>>Forward and reverse sones.
>
> Not having a PTR record wouldn't have an effect on your ability to
> access web sites. It may have an effect on your ability to deliver
> mail.
>
> You'll have to be more specific about your problem. Outbound mail
> should be a SMTP queue with a status of "Retry" if there's a problem
> delivering the mail.
>
> If the queue's in a "Retry" state, right-click the queue and look at
> it's properties. For what reason is the queue in the "Retry" state?
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

TPSchaefer (48)
10/12/2004 3:22:34 AM
post your domain and maube we can see if there is something wrong with your
mail setup on www.dnsstuff.com

> The queue doesn't have why it's in the "RETRY" state.  All emails that I
> send to an outside domain goes into this state.  If I send to the same
> domain, all is delivered.  I can recieve mail fine to all addresses on my
> domain.
>

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I have looked at DNS and can't seem to find anything wrong.  Surfing the
> >>internet is fine.  I checked for the servers IP address and it's both in
> >>the
> >>Forward and reverse sones.
> >
> > Not having a PTR record wouldn't have an effect on your ability to
> > access web sites. It may have an effect on your ability to deliver
> > mail.
> >
> > You'll have to be more specific about your problem. Outbound mail
> > should be a SMTP queue with a status of "Retry" if there's a problem
> > delivering the mail.
> >
> > If the queue's in a "Retry" state, right-click the queue and look at
> > it's properties. For what reason is the queue in the "Retry" state?
> >
> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
shitij_T (39)
10/12/2004 4:46:43 AM
netzpro.com

"st" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> post your domain and maube we can see if there is something wrong with
> your
> mail setup on www.dnsstuff.com
>
> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The queue doesn't have why it's in the "RETRY" state.  All emails that I
>> send to an outside domain goes into this state.  If I send to the same
>> domain, all is delivered.  I can recieve mail fine to all addresses on my
>> domain.
>>

>> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

>> > Not having a PTR record wouldn't have an effect on your ability to
>> > access web sites. It may have an effect on your ability to deliver
>> > mail.
>> >
>> > You'll have to be more specific about your problem. Outbound mail
>> > should be a SMTP queue with a status of "Retry" if there's a problem
>> > delivering the mail.
>> >
>> > If the queue's in a "Retry" state, right-click the queue and look at
>> > it's properties. For what reason is the queue in the "Retry" state?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Rich Matheisen
>> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
TPSchaefer (48)
10/12/2004 2:44:50 PM
I believe I figured out the problem.  I believe I had the MX record on
Network Solutions incorrect.  I have made the corrections and I will now
wait for the DNS populations.

Thanks for everyone's help

"st" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> post your domain and maube we can see if there is something wrong with
> your
> mail setup on www.dnsstuff.com
>
> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The queue doesn't have why it's in the "RETRY" state.  All emails that I
>> send to an outside domain goes into this state.  If I send to the same
>> domain, all is delivered.  I can recieve mail fine to all addresses on my
>> domain.
>>

>> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

>> > Not having a PTR record wouldn't have an effect on your ability to
>> > access web sites. It may have an effect on your ability to deliver
>> > mail.
>> >
>> > You'll have to be more specific about your problem. Outbound mail
>> > should be a SMTP queue with a status of "Retry" if there's a problem
>> > delivering the mail.
>> >
>> > If the queue's in a "Retry" state, right-click the queue and look at
>> > it's properties. For what reason is the queue in the "Retry" state?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Rich Matheisen
>> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
TPSchaefer (48)
10/12/2004 2:54:06 PM
I thought that was the fix, but I still can't send.

>I believe I figured out the problem.  I believe I had the MX record on
>Network Solutions incorrect.  I have made the corrections and I will now
>wait for the DNS populations.
>
> Thanks for everyone's help
>

> "st" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> post your domain and maube we can see if there is something wrong with
>> your
>> mail setup on www.dnsstuff.com
>>
>> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The queue doesn't have why it's in the "RETRY" state.  All emails that I
>>> send to an outside domain goes into this state.  If I send to the same
>>> domain, all is delivered.  I can recieve mail fine to all addresses on
>>> my
>>> domain.
>>>

>>> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

0
TPSchaefer (48)
10/13/2004 1:25:57 AM
"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The queue doesn't have why it's in the "RETRY" state.

Yes, it does. But I gave you information from Exchange 2000, not 2003.
Sorry.

Just select a queue in the "Retry" state and look at the bottom of the
window.

>All emails that I
>send to an outside domain goes into this state.  If I send to the same
>domain, all is delivered.

Those two sentences don't make sense. If all the mail goes into the
"Retry" state then the queue should always be in the retry state.

If you send one message to a domain and the queu is in a retry state
then sending another message to the same domain should have no effect
on the queue state -- except that the connection may have been retried
and was successful.

>I can recieve mail fine to all addresses on my
>domain.

Receiving <> sending.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I believe I figured out the problem.  I believe I had the MX record on
>Network Solutions incorrect.  I have made the corrections and I will now
>wait for the DNS populations.

Looks okay:
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=netzpro.com

But you don't have a postmaster address for that domain (or an abuse
address).

The MX record shouldn't have had much of an effect on your ability to
send mail. Some domains might verify that a MX exists before accepting
mail, though.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>The queue doesn't have why it's in the "RETRY" state.
>
> Yes, it does. But I gave you information from Exchange 2000, not 2003.
> Sorry.
>
> Just select a queue in the "Retry" state and look at the bottom of the
> window.
>
>>All emails that I
>>send to an outside domain goes into this state.  If I send to the same
>>domain, all is delivered.
>
> Those two sentences don't make sense. If all the mail goes into the
> "Retry" state then the queue should always be in the retry state.
>
> If you send one message to a domain and the queu is in a retry state
> then sending another message to the same domain should have no effect
> on the queue state -- except that the connection may have been retried
> and was successful.
>
>>I can recieve mail fine to all addresses on my
>>domain.
>
> Receiving <> sending.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

TPSchaefer (48)

disposable email address service?
Is there a disposable email address service that integrates with outlook to some degree so I don't have to log-in via a browser to generate a new address? Plus, after using a web site to generate different addresses, I found it hard to keep track which address was given to whom. Although the service I use allows me to attach a note to each email address, there is no way to quickly view the list of addresses and the notes attached to them. I have to drill down each address to see the note, and doing this over a web site is painfully slow. Google is your friend. -- Milly Staple...

Sort by Last Name #2
Sorry if this posted twice. I have waited about 1/2 hour and my original post is not showing up. I am sure I phrased this better the first time but here goes. I am using Crystal Reports to extract data from our practice management system which stores the patient's name as last_name, first_name, i.e. Doe, John F. i then run a formula in Crystal Reports to switch the name around to John F. Doe. I then export the file to Excel (simple name address c/s/z file) they use for mail merge of letters and other fun stuff through out the year. Once the data is in Excel, they want to be able to ...

Stuck emails
I have a email that has become lodged in different user's email boxes. When they open their emails this particular one always shows as a new email but when opened only shows a page can not be displayed screen. Also when I attempt to delete it an error pops up saying "some items can't be deleted either because they were moved, already deleted, or access was denied. How do I delete this email? have you tried a "shift delete"? have you tried deleting it in OWA? are these users running Outlook in cached mode? "Matt Wood" <Matt Wood@discussions.microsoft....

Unable to open calendar

Mail Box Size #2
Hi All, I have a user with a 6 gig + mailbox. We are using Exchange 2003 (enterprise) and Outlook 2003. He is now experiancing problems with the program running like a slug. It doesn't appear to be locking up, just taking for ever to do everything. He claims it was fine until front page crashed, which took the computer down (needing a re-boot) and outlook hasnt' worked right since. So what I have done, is delete the profile and recreate, appear to work for me, but now is locked up again. The auto archive does not appear to removing items from the mailbox. Does anyone hav...

Error sending email from Order using template
I created an email template to be used to confirm receipt of an order. It copies a few fields from the Order Form. It does not work, but shows a really helpful error message: MS CRM Web Page Dialog -An error has occurred; please consult your SA. Well, that's me. But I have no clue where to look. The built-in Order Thank You template shows the same behavior: Error. I made lots of email templates to be used from the Opportunity and Quote forms; these all work fine. I tried switching on tracing on the client (don't want to mess with the server registry keys) so I would get some ad...

Sending Mail #2
I want to be able to allow a set of users to send INTRANET & INTERNET mail , while allowing another set of users to send INTRANET mail only. Is there a way in which this can be done in Exchange 2000 srv.? see these: http://www.adminlife.com/247reference/msgs/36/180489.aspx http://tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=473226 "cozierj" <cozierj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65F9D669-AC55-4A82-ADBA-C0A7C0817C42@microsoft.com... > I want to be able to allow a set of users to send INTRANET & INTERNET mail , > while allowing > another set of users ...

Out of memory #2
I developed a workbook that has some macros for sorting and condensing several sheets to a single sheet in a workbook. When I run it everything works fine, but other get an out of memory error. I'm assuming that this might not be just an Excel issue. The workbook at this point is only 365kb and will only become larger with time. I've been running it from a local drive, other run it from the network. I have no idea where to start with this issue and any input would be appreciated. Thank you. I think that the size of the workbook has nothing to do with the problem. The error...

PGP email
I need to provide secure email fr some of my users. I have exchange 2003 stnd. Does anyone have any recommendations? anything in exchange that can do this? ...

unable to scroll the page

Personal Folders #2
Hi, I really need some help........... I made a personal folder and always put my emails in seperate sub-folders after I read them. We have to keep our inbox fairly small or the server statrts yelling at us. PROBLEM! My personal folder is now just over 2gig in size. Outlook 2000 won't let me access the file. It says there is an error and to use the inbox scan to fix it. I use SCANPST.EXE, but even it comes up with a error. Is there a 3rd party program that will let me access this file? Maybe I can go in and delete some things to get it below the 2gig limit. Please email m...

Why can't I open any email jokes that friends send me with excel
I get email from friends that send me jokes to open with micro excel and I can't open them why? 1. Do you have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer? 2. What is the extension of the attachments with the jokes? Is it somejoke.XLS ? I never heard of Excel being a joke transporter but who knows? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 27 May 2007 13:54:00 -0700, Leona <Leona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I get email from friends that send me jokes to open with micro excel and I >can't open them why? Its because Excel is only for serious work except, of c...

Outlook 2002
I am having an intermittant problem. I send e-mails, most of which go through, but many times they don't, even though they are in my sent mail. I have the program set to give me a delivery receipt and I don't get it when they don't go through. I'm in XP. Any help? Thanks ...

Unable to conect

disabled Send/receive button
Hi, Since i installed PGP v8.xx, my Send/Recv button is disabled in Outlook express. Did anyone already have such problem ? thx, Alain hey, check if you still have an account set up. the send/rec disappears when there are no pop accounts. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >Since i installed PGP v8.xx, my Send/Recv button is disabled in Outlook >express. >Did anyone already have such problem ? > >thx, >Alain > > >. > ...

cannot see email progess anymore not showing ex. 3 of 25 emails
outlook 2007. after clicking on the send receive button the email progress does not show anymore at the bottom right page. the in box used to show the progress of the number of emails downloaded. ecample 3 of 84 emails ...

Can not get emails to flow down to a .pst file
I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have tried every thing I could think of. Please help. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:35:01 -0700, "Glenn" <GRyan@prideindustries.com> wrote: >I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating >them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her >personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 >week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have trie...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Using secondary email when distributing a Campaign Activity
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a way to use the marketing list's member primary AND secondary emails when send a email mass mailout from a campaign activity. I believe we could do it using the sdk, but am not sure how (plug-in, workflow?) Has anyone achieved this somehow? Thanks Hi Fred, Yes, our latest VEM (Vizola eMarketing Addin) module has this feature, please checkout http://www.vizola.com/vem - you can download and try the evaluation version - it also includes all the template usage + tracking and bounce features you need. On the COMPOSE EMAIL screen you are presented w...

email transfer & retreival
Can anyone simplify the the server name of outgoing and incoming mail. It is the only step I am having a problem with. Thanks, JJ what isp do you use for email? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ Vote for your favorite Outlook and Exchange util...

2 different recipient update policies
Hello, If i have 2 different RUS policies. Which will be a users default reply address? The lowest prioirty because it is applied last, or the highest priority because it is more important? Thanks The highest priority Recipient Policy that does not exclude the recipient is applied. Good reference: How the Recipient Update Service applies recipient policies http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328738/ -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- <aaronw@firstmac.com.au> wrote in message ...