Unable to display the folder. The inbox folder could not be found

I'm new to Exchange.  I'm setting up a very small exchange system at home
(MSDN), in order to learn a little about it before making the decision to
move to it in the office or not.

My home server is acting as both a PDC and Exchange Server.  All appears to
be fine, and I can access my exchange account, while my other half can
access her exchange account.

However, although I've given myself access to my other-half's inbox
(sharing, given my user "Publishing Editor" access to her inbox), when I
attempt to open her inbox from Outlook, I receive the message "Unable to
display the folder. The inbox folder could not be found".

I've googled this, and although have found a number of posts about this, I
have yet to find a solution.

Also, although she can use Exchange on a PC, and can access it via OWA, when
I use OWA to go to http://<server>/exchange/<her-user>, I get a empty
exchange page ("there are no items to show in this view").

Are these two things linked I wonder?

In Outlook, I can share her contacts, calendar etc without problem (although
again, can't view them in OWA unless I actually authenticate myself as her -
eg, can't add /<user> to the URL when I log in as me).

I did read somewhere that "domain admins" couldn't share inboxes (although
maybe I dreamt it!), but removing domain admin rights to my account (leaving
it with Domain User and local admin) has no effect... Even after leaving it
sometime to make sure the rights have been propagated.

I'm slightly new to the whole AD thing, so please be patent with me! :-)

TIA,
A.

0
Adds21 (11)

> However, although I've given myself access to my other-half's inbox
> (sharing, given my user "Publishing Editor" access to her inbox), when I
> attempt to open her inbox from Outlook, I receive the message "Unable to
> display the folder. The inbox folder could not be found".

Fixed it.  I added my user to the security tab in the mailbox store, and
that appears to have fixed it.  I assume it *was* because my user is a
Domain Admin (or something!).

A.

0
Adds21 (11)
1/30/2004 1:54:32 PM
Adds wrote:
> *I'm new to Exchange.  I'm setting up a very small exchange system at
> home
> (MSDN), in order to learn a little about it before making the
> decision to
> move to it in the office or not.
>
> My home server is acting as both a PDC and Exchange Server.  All
> appears to
> be fine, and I can access my exchange account, while my other half
> can
> access her exchange account.
>
> However, although I've given myself access to my other-half's inbox
> (sharing, given my user "Publishing Editor" access to her inbox),
> when I
> attempt to open her inbox from Outlook, I receive the message "Unable
> display the folder. The inbox folder could not be found".
>
> I've googled this, and although have found a number of posts about
> this, I
> have yet to find a solution.
>
> Also, although she can use Exchange on a PC, and can access it via
> OWA, when
> I use OWA to go to http://<server>/exchange/<her-user>, I get a
> empty
> exchange page ("there are no items to show in this view").
>
> Are these two things linked I wonder?
>
> In Outlook, I can share her contacts, calendar etc without problem
> (although
> again, can't view them in OWA unless I actually authenticate myself
> as her -
> eg, can't add /<user> to the URL when I log in as me).
>
> I did read somewhere that "domain admins" couldn't share inboxes
> (although
> maybe I dreamt it!), but removing domain admin rights to my account
> (leaving
> it with Domain User and local admin) has no effect... Even after
> leaving it
> sometime to make sure the rights have been propagated.
>
> I'm slightly new to the whole AD thing, so please be patent with me!
> :-)
>
> TIA,
> A. *

I could really use some help setting the same up for me @ home.  I
cannot get external e-mail via OWA.  Help!

Thanks!

Chris...

--
got2btru

Message From Field in Folder
When viewing the list of my new messages, is there a way to see the email address of the sender instead of the alias before I open it? In the From column I see "John". When I open the email I see "John <john@johnsemail.com>". I want to see the "john@johnsemail.com" before I open it so I can tell the difference between emails from "Microsoft Support <yourfu@edifyouopenedthis.com>" and "Microsoft Support <someguywhosreally@microsoft.com>" I am currently using outlook 2002 and 2003 alternately based on my mood. Mike If you ...

Moving Emails to a Public Folder
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 automatically forwarding anything sent to several email addresses to one public folder. The problem is that these items appear in the public folder with the "Posted To:" field, but not the "To:" field, so we don't know which email address it was sent to (without looking in the headers). When you reply, the original email in the body still only references the public folder "Posted To:" field, and not the email address it was originally sent to. Is there a way to change this behavior so the "To:" field is displayed? If not,...

Display As = File as & (address in parens)
I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and something changed. I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does. In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)". But when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN SMITH". In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the default: name AND email address. It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping there'...

Anyone found an easy way to search Case history?
Specifically the case notes, but I'll take what I can get. Use the advanced find, Look for 'Notes'/ 'Activity', define your search criteria: Regarding(Case) --> Case: Contains data. Result returned: all notes/ activity created in cases. If no criteria set but click on Find directly, every notes/activity created in MSCRM returned. "Jon" wrote: > Specifically the case notes, but I'll take what I can get. > > ...

Money 2006 Investment Account balance display
I have two Investment Accounts (401k) in Money 2006 Deluxe. For some reason, Money stopped displaying the account totals on the Account List page. It used to show the account balances and the subtotal for all of my investment accounts. Additionally, I now notice that each account now has a second account with the same name, but has the word "Contributions" added in parenthesis. This seems to be new as well. The data in the accounts still seems alright. My investment subtotal on the Account list page shows a zero balance and there is no balance listed for the accounts the...

EXCH2003 - OWA
In our organization, we have a master contact list as Contacts in our public folders. In OWA we can see and get access to those contacts, but when you double-click on a contact card, the button to send email to this contact is grey-ed out. The contacts associated with my mailbox has that option available. any thoughts???? ???????? ...

Outlook 2003 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup uninstall problem
Hello techie nerds out there Help! I am trying to uninstall this utility to reinstall it on another desktop on the same machine. It seems you can only run this utility on one desktop? Running windows XP pro and Outlook 2002 The programme does not show up in the Add/Remove programme window in the Control Panel. Many, many thanks Paul Paul Allen <ict@wandsworthvb.org.uk> wrote: > I am trying to uninstall this utility to reinstall it on > another desktop on the same machine. It seems you can only > run this utility on one desktop? Doesn't seem to be the case here. ...

Page not found error when opening business portal
Hi We're trying to install Invoice Approvals and Accruals 8.0, sharepoint services sp2 and Business Portal 2.5 Feature Pack to work with Great Plains 8.0 We can install Sharepoint services and Invoice Approvals and Accruals ok and they work fine However, when we install Business Portal and browse to http://servername/sites/businessportal/ We receive a "page not found" error screen We've tried several things but nothing seems to work Sharepoint services is installed in server farm mode and has been configured correctly (as far as I can tell) Any help would be great...

Search folders Otlk-2003 don't work?
I create a new search folder in OUtlook folder with the criteria, "mail to and from certain people". And then I choose a person from the list. The email address for that person has always been the same. However the search folder only comes up with mail I have SENT to that person, not mail they have sent to me. Whats with that? thanks... jf ...

Combined view of inboxes. How?
Hi all, I just came back to outlook after years. I'm testing the 2010 beta and god, I'm impressed. One thing though I would like but can't achive; In the favoutites pane, you can set up favourite inbox so you can have a quick glance at what's going on on your favourite account. Great, but I would like to be able to have all inboxes in that place. To be specific, I want all the folders etc as they are now but want to be able to preview all incoming mail from many accounts by clicking just one button. I don't want it to move and merge emails from many inboxes ...

Unable to send or receive email
I am unable to send or receive email. The test email that was sent when I set up my account worked fine, but I am not able to send or receive any email. When I compose a new message, there isn't a send button. Outlook works perfectly for other users on the same computer. I have disabled add ins one at a time but nothing seems to make a difference. I would appreciate any help. On 9 Jul, 05:54, marmievv <marmi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am unable to send or receive email. The test email that was sent when I > set up my account worked fine, but I am not a...

Understanding Rehoming Public Folders
Hey guys, need some clarification. Under Exchange 5.5 I have public folders replicating to Exchange 2003. The home server option to rehome the public folder under 5.5, by changing this to point to the 2003 server, it won't remove it from the 5.5 server will it?? you should read the article written by William Boswell Great approach http://msexchange911.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=32&topic=204.0 oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu ____________________________ MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA Http://www.msexchange911.org Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog) "Mike" wr...

Why is Outlook 2003 synchronizing folders from a PoP email account!
I have one internet email account. No Exchange. I loaded Outlook 2003 3 days ago. All of a sudden. Today, it is synchronizing my folders. It takes forever and seems to be in some kind of a loop. 2 hours and still no email downloaded. Let the games begin, again. Another product from Microsoft with major bugs right out of the shoot. SP1 ready yet? Any Microsoft employees here care to tell me how to disable the synchronization of my folders to other folders that don't exist? Do you care to tell us what options you selected before shooting off your opinions about Microsoft???? --� Milly S...

Add a nwe mail folder with new email address
I want to add a new folder within the mail area in Outlook 2003. opened up an additional email account with my IP and want that email t go to a seperate main folder in outlook. Under All Mail Folders I'v got Personal Folders and Hotmail as root folders in the area. I wan to add another root folder for my new email only. Thank you, Crai ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Apart from special accounts like HTTP and IMAP when you collect POP3 then all mess...

email defaults to personal folder
Hello we have run into a new problem at my work. About 5 new people started recently and the all tried to open their email accounts before they were properly setup. Because no server was entered they now have a top folder called "Personal Folders". What we have been doing to fix the situation is to right click on the outlook icon choose > properties > email accounts > Add a new email account. This method then adds the user's mailbox to outlook. The problem however is that we have lost old calendar information as well as the mail defaults to the personal folder ...

Exchange GAL to Local COntacts Folder Export Script

Trial Outlook -- unable to compose emails??
Simple question - confusing situation! I downloaded the trial version of Outlook 2003 to test it out. Everything seems great except it won't allow me to compose emails! That button/option is "faded" and inactive. I can't imagine this is intentional -- I can't really try out this trial version! Any thoughts/advice are very appreciated!!! Thank you! SH Well, If it's Outlook 2003 the odds are you aren't using a Mac - which is what this group is about. If you *are* using a Mac I'm surprised - make that stunned, amazed & impressed - that you were...

Outlook 2000
I'm having a strange Outlook issue and cannot figure it out for the life of me. Our mail server is Exchange 5.5 (can't recall the SP right now), and the Client is Outlook 2000 SR-1. The user can view his primary email box without any troubles, but also has access to another Exchange email box. He can view every folder in it except the Sent Items. The error it returns is "Unable to display the folder". What's strange is he can view the subfolder in Sent Items, no problem. I've configured his email on a different PC, and everything shows up fine, so I know ...

Unable to Print Timesheets in BP
We recently installed BP, PDK and Great Plains. We are experiencing significant difficulty in printing the beautiful looking timesheet that displays when hitting the "Print" button in Business Portal. The timesheet data basically bleeds off of the right hand side of the page even on legal. Has anyone experienced the same issue? We are required to submit timesheets to our customers withour invoices. I wish these were formated with the weeks in two one week rows rather than one two week period all the way accross. And that it fit on letter sized paper! What we currently ...

Emails diverted to Drafts folder
Windows Mail: I'm seeing incoming mail going into the Drafts folder, and outgoing mail saved to the Drafts folder. Not all mail, but a lot of it. The same is happening in Windows 7 with Live Mail using a POP3 ISP account, not Hotmail. On the computers on which I've seen it, it's a relatively recent problem that didn't exist before. Possibly related to some Windows Update? I have some very irritated people badgering me about this and just can't find an answer. Any light on the subject would be warmly welcomed. -- Anna I have not heard of this particular pro...

Money 2006 Standard
I've just started to use the Money 2006 and I'm trying to move from the Essential Budget to the Advanced Budget, but the software does not move to the selected option. Is there any action to correct this problem? I was using a very old Money version (97) and the file was converted without any problem with budget data in the Advanced format, but as I can't select the Advanced Budget I'm not able to change anything in it. Is it possible to somebody help me on solving this problem? Thank you very much -- Bob Campos Have you tried doing a File - Repair, Bob? -- Michael Gor...

Public Folder Permissions #36
I need to take ownership of several calender based public folders. I apologize as to the lack of skill here. I have just been handed this job and I am trying to do the best I can. Any and all help would be most appreciated. Thanks Open Exchange system manager, expand admin groups, folder public folder. Locate the folder, properties, permissions, client permissions, add yourself as owner. James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com On Apr 17, 12:32 pm, James <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to take ownership of several calender...

CRM 3.0 SDK Web Services
Hi I am writing a small data migration tool to migrate account and contact data. I have approximate 1500 accounts and 6000 contacts to import to CRM 3.0. I finished the application and ran the data migration, I will able to migrate all of the account records without any problem at all. when I run the contact migration, it can migrate 2800 contact records when it get over 2800, my application throw me the following error message: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server. I am running CRM 3.0, SQL server and my data migration on the same server. I am wonder w...

Unable to Retrieve E-mail
After setting up Outlook 2003, I receive the following error message when retrieving my e-mail and do not recieve any of my mail... " Task 'Mary Rose Mail - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: +OK 48526 octets' " I can go to Yahoo and set up my POP to successfully retrieve my mail. Even when I test the e-mail account using the tester in Outlook, it says all is well. My ISP is at a loss. ...

Embedded Pictures received from Others do not display in outlook.
I recently switched to Outlook from Outlook Express. When e-mails are received with embedded pictures, they display properly in Outlook Express but do not display at all in Outlook. Is this related to a security setting in Outlook that I can change to allow these pictures to be displayed? PLEASE HELP!!!! Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I recently switched to Outlook from Outlook Express. When e-mails are > received with embedded pictures, they display properly in Outlook > Express but do not display at all in Outlook. > > Is this related to a securi...