Unable to add Outlook 2003 LDAP connection to Exchange 5.5 Server

Exchange 5.5 SP4 Running on Win2K SP4
Outlook 2003

Recently, when a user tries to add an LDAP address book to their OL2K3
client, they receive the following pop-up:

Title:  Microsoft Office Outlook
Message:  "There was an error locating one of the items needed to completed
this operation.  It might have been deleted."
Buttons:  OK

We have two Exchange servers with the same configurations.  This only
happens to users with a mailbox on the one server.

Using OL2K3, I am able to successfully configure the LDAP to one Exchange
server, and with that same OL2K3 client, get the pop-up when trying the same
process to the other Exchange server.  This leads me to believe that this is
some how a problem on the server and not the client.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
0
kcarlini (132)

It sounds like an Outlook profile issue to me however :)
Try re-creating it.

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:03:15 GMT, "MR-KEN" <kcarlini@netopia.com>
wrote:

>Exchange 5.5 SP4 Running on Win2K SP4
>Outlook 2003
>
>Recently, when a user tries to add an LDAP address book to their OL2K3
>client, they receive the following pop-up:
>
>Title:  Microsoft Office Outlook
>Message:  "There was an error locating one of the items needed to completed
>this operation.  It might have been deleted."
>Buttons:  OK
>
>We have two Exchange servers with the same configurations.  This only
>happens to users with a mailbox on the one server.
>
>Using OL2K3, I am able to successfully configure the LDAP to one Exchange
>server, and with that same OL2K3 client, get the pop-up when trying the same
>process to the other Exchange server.  This leads me to believe that this is
>some how a problem on the server and not the client.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thank you.

0
adavid (8731)
11/8/2004 1:14:45 PM
It isn't a profile thing.  I can easily reproduce the problem on a fresh
build.  Any mailbox on said Exchange server will have this problem.
0
kcarlini (132)
11/8/2004 4:25:33 PM
Is the LDAP-protocol enabled at the organisation level ?

"MR-KEN" <kcarlini@netopia.com> wrote in message
> Exchange 5.5 SP4 Running on Win2K SP4
> Outlook 2003
>
> Recently, when a user tries to add an LDAP address book to their OL2K3
> client, they receive the following pop-up:
>
> Title:  Microsoft Office Outlook
> Message:  "There was an error locating one of the items needed to
> completed
> this operation.  It might have been deleted."
> Buttons:  OK
>
> We have two Exchange servers with the same configurations.  This only
> happens to users with a mailbox on the one server.
>
> Using OL2K3, I am able to successfully configure the LDAP to one Exchange
> server, and with that same OL2K3 client, get the pop-up when trying the
> same
> process to the other Exchange server.  This leads me to believe that this
> is
> some how a problem on the server and not the client.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you.

Can you access it with Outlook Express or from IE? Is this server in
the same org?
ldap://yourserver

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:25:33 GMT, "MR-KEN" <kcarlini@netopia.com>
wrote:

>It isn't a profile thing.  I can easily reproduce the problem on a fresh
>build.  Any mailbox on said Exchange server will have this problem.

0
adavid (8731)
11/8/2004 4:42:43 PM
Yes I can.
0
kcarlini (132)
11/8/2004 4:57:53 PM
Well, maybe someone else will chime in here, but I still believe its a
client issue.

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:57:53 GMT, "MR-KEN" <kcarlini@netopia.com>
wrote:

>Yes I can.

0
adavid (8731)
11/8/2004 5:39:18 PM
Beleive me, I agree. I can add the said server as an LDAP in OL2K3 from my
mailbox, which is on another server, but from any mailbox on the said server
will generate the pop-up (regardless of which LDAP server one connects too.

I guess I can try using FilMon to see what's going on.
0
kcarlini (132)
11/8/2004 5:59:00 PM
893	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	CLOSE	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	SUCCESS
894	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	SUCCESS	Options: Open  Access: All
895	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	SUCCESS	Options: Open  Access: All
896	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	QUERY INFORMATION	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	BUFFER
OVERFLOW	FileFsVolumeInformation
897	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	QUERY INFORMATION	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	SUCCESS	FileInternalInformation
898	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	QUERY INFORMATION	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	SUCCESS	Length: 17058
899	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	CLOSE	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	SUCCESS
900	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	LOCK	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	SUCCESS	Excl: No Offset: 0 Length: -1
901	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	QUERY INFORMATION	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	SUCCESS	Length: 17058
902	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	READ 	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	SUCCESS	Offset: 0 Length: 17058
903	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	UNLOCK	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	RANGE NOT LOCKED	Offset: 0 Length: -1
904	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	CLOSE	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MAPISVC.INF	SUCCESS
905	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE NOT FOUND	Options: Open  Access:
All
906	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: Traverse
907	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	CLOSE	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\System\MSMAPI\1033	SUCCESS
908	1:05:10
PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE NOT
FOUND	Options: Open  Access: All
909	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\Program Files\Common
Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE NOT FOUND	Options: Open  Access:
All
910	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\WINNT\system32\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE NOT
FOUND	Options: Open  Access: All
911	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	READ 	C:	SUCCESS	Offset: 323584 Length: 4096
912	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\WINNT\system\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE NOT
FOUND	Options: Open  Access: All
913	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\WINNT\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE NOT
FOUND	Options: Open  Access: All
914	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE11\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE NOT FOUND	Options: Open  Access: All
915	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\WINNT\system32\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE NOT
FOUND	Options: Open  Access: All
916	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\WINNT\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE NOT
FOUND	Options: Open  Access: All
917	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE
NOT FOUND	Options: Open  Access: All
918	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	OPEN	C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec
Shared\System\BJABLR32.DLL	FILE NOT FOUND	Options: Open  Access: All
919	1:05:10 PM	OUTLOOK.EXE:748	READ 	C:	SUCCESS	Offset: 750592 Length:
kcarlini (132)
11/8/2004 6:17:34 PM
This does seem to be a client thing.  Releated to C:\Program Files\Common
Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\BJABLR32.DLL

For some reason, it exists on some machines and not on others...  Copying it
doesn't work, as there must be a process for installing it.
0
kcarlini (132)
11/8/2004 7:27:11 PM
Resolved...  LDAP Services were not install on clients... Ouch!
0
kcarlini (132)
11/8/2004 7:39:41 PM
Re-apply SP1 or regsrvr32.

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:27:11 GMT, "MR-KEN" <kcarlini@netopia.com>
wrote:

>This does seem to be a client thing.  Releated to C:\Program Files\Common
>Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\BJABLR32.DLL
>
>For some reason, it exists on some machines and not on others...  Copying it
>doesn't work, as there must be a process for installing it.

0
adavid (8731)
11/8/2004 7:42:15 PM
Excellent. Thanks for the follow-up.

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:39:41 GMT, "MR-KEN" <kcarlini@netopia.com>
wrote:

>Resolved...  LDAP Services were not install on clients... Ouch!

0
adavid (8731)

Outlook crashing with v3c installed
Hi All Outlook is crashing as mentioned in article KB931270 except with outlook 2007. The supposed fix is part of KB925874 however I am not in one of the affected time zones and the fix is quite intensive meaning updates to Windows, Exchange, CRM Server and Client machines. Can anyone suggest whether I should install the patches in this situation? Ian ------=_NextPart_0001_7CA384A5 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Ian, You can still get the hotfix separately. Normally a support incident is free if it is for a hotfix. So, you could open a support incide...

Outlook Freezing #2
Hi I am migrating users from one exchange server account to a new exchange server. I have one user who is running Windows 2000 with Office 2000 SR-1. He is connecting using VPN. We removed his old exchange account and added the new account, when Outlook is opened all of his new e-mails appear in the inbox, however the application locks up and does not recover. Any idea's on why this might be occuring? Thanks! ...

How do I email AOL members through outlook?
I am now using outlook. My email account is with bellsouth.net. I can email other people but when I email AOL members I get an error message that says " 550 relaying mail to aol.com is not allowed". I've contacted AOL and they told me they have blocked port 25 due to spam and to change my port number to 587. When I did that, I couldn't send emails to anyone. They then told me to contact Bellsouth. I did and Bellsouth said that they do not help with outlook configuration that I would need to contact Microsoft. Thanks in advance! Mary Unfortunately, most ISPs ref...

Removing Add Inns
I have an Essbase Add In installed in my version of Excel. Is there a way to remove it. I don't use it. Uncheck under tools>add-ins and if it is in a startup folder remove it -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Leon" <greg_wikle@balinet.com> wrote in message news:emEVXwP5DHA.1804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I have an Essbase Add In installed in my version of Excel. Is there a way to > remove it. I don't use it. > > ...

Exchange restore and recent file
Hello, I make an exchange Restoration from my exchange 2000 (SP3) server and i use "setup.exe /disasterrecovery" from the exchange CD-ROM.. The trouble is that it ask me for some file : " the target file is more recent that the source file, would you keep your file ? yes - no- no for all.. I don't know what to do ? because i will update to the exchnage SP3 after...and install the POST SP3 Rollup too ... Is there an exchange tool or a command that control and says if exchange works fine or not ??? for me to control after my restore.. Thanks for helping me... You can safe...

First Time Opening Outlook
I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message is, "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." and a second popup says, "Configuring Outlook Accounts". The configuation process never does complete. I can even open outlook. Help! Thanks Ross Ross <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup > message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message > is, "You...

Unable to open calendar

Outlook across firewall #3
We are a small franchise and access our email using Outlook 2000. The head office has the Exchange server that hosts our email across a VPN using a Raptor firewall. 2 out of 6 or our Windows 2000 SP3 clients on the same network are having problems when they try to access their email for a second time. The error they get is "Unable to access Exchange Server". The only way to access the Exchange server again is to restart Windows2000. Then it will fail with the same error if they click on the Send/Receive a second time. Thanks in advance. ...

Add Cash Inflows and Outflows to the Cashflow Calendar
Currently the Cashflow Calendar show a Net Cash Inflow or Net Cash Outflow on the calendar. It would be helpful to show Cash Receipts and Cash Disbursements separetly. -- Thomas J. Browne Chief Financial Officer Bellefairejcb.org ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the mess...

Opening up a Word doc; Retrieving Outlook Email Messages
I want to open up a microsoft word document, however when I choose "file" "open" it only opens up a grey word doc without the text showing up in the doc, even though I have plenty of disc space, and tried "system restore", also tried a "full-system scan" and no viruses were found. A message dialogue box use to pop up when I tried to open the doc which said: "Check the file permissions for the document drive" - how do I do that? It also said: "Make sure there is sufficient free memory" How? and lastly it said: "Open the ...

Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2003 on New PC
My old PC has Outlook 2003 and my NEW PC has Outlook 2003. I want to import/migrate my emails and addresses from the OLD PC to the NEW PC. The import options assume you are using older versions of email applications so I have had no success. Copy pst to hd,ensure read only off, then open in OL "John" <jcarruthers@terrasolutionsonline.com> wrote in message news:5e0c01c491fd$e52c36d0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > My old PC has Outlook 2003 and my NEW PC has Outlook > 2003. I want to import/migrate my emails and addresses > from the OLD PC to the NEW PC. > The import ...

Exchange 5.5 on NT4 still Secureable?
Hi All! Looking to install an Exchange Server (have need of some of the basic features - public folders, Sharing Mailboxes, OWA, etc). I'm running an NT4 server, and have found a great deal on Exchange 5.5 licenses. My question: If NT, IIS4, and Exchange 5.5 are all fully patched, is this combo still considered secure enough to use online? We can't afford a move to 2K or 2k3 at this time. I'm assuming it IS OK, since I see alot of people asking for help with 5.5, so they must be running it - just thought I'd double check. M .. NT 4.0 reached end of life on 12/31/04...

Attachment in Outlook 2002
Hi I have a new DELL Inspiron 510m with Windows XP and Office XP. I have applied all patches based on Windows update and Office update. When I try to attach a file in a mail I receive an error message: Out of memory or system resources. Close some .... I have reinstalled the maschine, I have tried Office 2003 but the same error appears. Thanks for any suggestions Regards PK With Word or Outlook as the editor? Does it also happen when you start Outlook with the /safe command line switch? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signature...

Add node in TreeView
Hello, I'm trying to add node in TreeView (SDI) but I don't want to add it in OnInitialUpdate. Could anyone advise me how to do it or suggest me any link? Thank you very much in advance. On Sep 12, 2:50 pm, Atilla <kececi.para...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I'm trying to add node in TreeView (SDI) but I don't want to add it in > OnInitialUpdate. Could anyone advise me how to do it or suggest me any > link? > > Thank you very much in advance. Hi Atilla, First explain your problem clearly. Why you dont want to do it in OnInitialUpdate? ...

mailto: and outlook express
We have an "href=mailto:" that works fine with Netscape and Eudora, but fails with customers that are using Outlook Express. The link has a number of email addresses in it seperated by commas. IE: <a href="Jim Jones <jj@aol.com>, Jimmy Carter <jimcart@aol.com>, Me Too <meto@aol.com">click here to send these customers emails</a> When the email program pops up, all the names are in the TO: field as they should be except if the customer is using Outlook Express, in which case it loses all the email addresses except the first one. Does anyone know...

Outlook Email #12
I am hoping someone can solve a problem for me. I am trying to use Outlook as my email server through Comcast. It initially worked. Now my emails no longer come to Outlook, but stay at the Comcast Webmail. As far as I can tell, I have everything configured correctly in Outlook. Any ideas why this is not working? Ann Nope - have you tried looking at your account settings as laid out by Comcast on their website? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my per...

Auto Save Add-In
Hi Dave Thanks very much for the detailed instructions, I will follow them an let you know Charle -- Charles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- CharlesF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=874 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26197 ...

MS Mooney 2003 Freezes when pulldowns selected
I installed Money 2003 back in January. Ever since that install I have problems with the application freezing every time I select a pulldown menu - for example if I try to split a transaction between multiple categories and try to use the pull down to select the category the application freezes, and I have to Crtl-Alt-Delete to claose the application. I can close the application and it will restart without rebooting the computer. >-----Original Message----- > I installed Money 2003 back in January. Ever since >that install I have problems with the application ...

will not write file to server
when i try to do save as to my nevell server i get them message file is read only. there is a hot fix for this but i don't know how to get it can someone help thanks pete The MSKB article that discusses this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];824424 suggests ways to contact MS. I don't know of any other ways. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Windows Server Backup
I want to go through the restoration process of Exchange date - the entire database, individual mailboxes, emails etc. My lab setup is as follows (all in a vmware machine):- Windows Server 2008 Exchange 2007 (32-bit/sp1/eval) Email flow etc works fine. I've taken a full backup using windows server backup. When I come to restore the backup in the Select recovery type screen the option for Applications is greyed out. It says that you can recover applications that have registered with Windows Server Backup. I need to find out how to get Exchange to register with Window...

Outlook 2002 pst errors
For the past several months, my emails through my ISP are not being sent to my Outlook inbox. When trying to determine the problem, I receive an error message stating, " Errors have been detected in the file C:\Documents and Settings\owner\local settings\Application data\microsoft\ outlook\ outlook.pst. Can someone assist me with this problem? Thanks Run scanpst.exe against to check it for errors. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- <anonym...

outlook 2007
Tried to use outlook 2007 with new computer received to errors connection to microsoft exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete action. and, cannot open your default email folder. the file located c: etc. -- tradermike ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tradermike's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/192731.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1339341.htm http://forums.techarena.in Gee Mike ,that is a bummer -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the b...