Trend Micro SMEX ver 6 and exch 2k

Hi.

I am running exchange 2k enterprise on a win2k platform (patched and
hotfixed to date) I am also running scanmail for exchange version 6
(SMEX) and the e-manager plug-in for Smex anti-spam.

My issue is this, every day at approx 1:30pm clients outlook become
unresponsive until the exchange server is rebooted.
Stopping the Exchange or SMEX related services is not an option
because the ScanMail_RealTimeScan service appears to interact with the
store in such a way as to prevent either service from stopping
gracefully. ie they just hang and the only work around is reboot
server. Not good ;0(

I have identified the following app's that appear to be associated
with the trend product.

InstMon
InstRTS
InstWeb
SmexHS
SMEXMA
SMEXVS
CM_SMEX
StWatchDog
STOPP

Once these are killed (using pskill PID) It is then possible to
restart the Trend services without stopping exchange or rebooting the
server.

This is a work around but i don't want to be doing it every afternoon.
Has anyone come across this or the like before.

Thanks in advance

Nick

What's scheduled to run at 1:30? Full mailbox scan?

Nick C wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am running exchange 2k enterprise on a win2k platform (patched and
> hotfixed to date) I am also running scanmail for exchange version 6
> (SMEX) and the e-manager plug-in for Smex anti-spam.
>
> My issue is this, every day at approx 1:30pm clients outlook become
> unresponsive until the exchange server is rebooted.
> Stopping the Exchange or SMEX related services is not an option
> because the ScanMail_RealTimeScan service appears to interact with the
> store in such a way as to prevent either service from stopping
> gracefully. ie they just hang and the only work around is reboot
> server. Not good ;0(
>
> I have identified the following app's that appear to be associated
> with the trend product.
>
> InstMon
> InstRTS
> InstWeb
> SmexHS
> SMEXMA
> SMEXVS
> CM_SMEX
> StWatchDog
> STOPP
>
> Once these are killed (using pskill PID) It is then possible to
> restart the Trend services without stopping exchange or rebooting the
> server.
>
> This is a work around but i don't want to be doing it every afternoon.
> Has anyone come across this or the like before.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Nick

0
lanwench (7567)
8/24/2004 2:50:21 PM
Sounds like you need to call  Trend and find out what SMEX is doing.  Can
you remove SMEX temporarily?  That will tell you if the problem is
Trend-related, or Exchange-related.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Nick C" <nick.clark@ipt-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I am running exchange 2k enterprise on a win2k platform (patched and
> hotfixed to date) I am also running scanmail for exchange version 6
> (SMEX) and the e-manager plug-in for Smex anti-spam.
>
> My issue is this, every day at approx 1:30pm clients outlook become
> unresponsive until the exchange server is rebooted.
> Stopping the Exchange or SMEX related services is not an option
> because the ScanMail_RealTimeScan service appears to interact with the
> store in such a way as to prevent either service from stopping
> gracefully. ie they just hang and the only work around is reboot
> server. Not good ;0(
>
> I have identified the following app's that appear to be associated
> with the trend product.
>
> InstMon
> InstRTS
> InstWeb
> SmexHS
> SMEXMA
> SMEXVS
> CM_SMEX
> StWatchDog
> STOPP
>
> Once these are killed (using pskill PID) It is then possible to
> restart the Trend services without stopping exchange or rebooting the
> server.
>
> This is a work around but i don't want to be doing it every afternoon.
> Has anyone come across this or the like before.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Nick

0
Ben
8/24/2004 5:17:03 PM
Call Trend.  They have pretty good tech support and the folks overseas are
pretty easy to understand.

Bob

"Nick C" <nick.clark@ipt-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I am running exchange 2k enterprise on a win2k platform (patched and
> hotfixed to date) I am also running scanmail for exchange version 6
> (SMEX) and the e-manager plug-in for Smex anti-spam.
>
> My issue is this, every day at approx 1:30pm clients outlook become
> unresponsive until the exchange server is rebooted.
> Stopping the Exchange or SMEX related services is not an option
> because the ScanMail_RealTimeScan service appears to interact with the
> store in such a way as to prevent either service from stopping
> gracefully. ie they just hang and the only work around is reboot
> server. Not good ;0(
>
> I have identified the following app's that appear to be associated
> with the trend product.
>
> InstMon
> InstRTS
> InstWeb
> SmexHS
> SMEXMA
> SMEXVS
> CM_SMEX
> StWatchDog
> STOPP
>
> Once these are killed (using pskill PID) It is then possible to
> restart the Trend services without stopping exchange or rebooting the
> server.
>
> This is a work around but i don't want to be doing it every afternoon.
> Has anyone come across this or the like before.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Nick

0
BobChristian (293)
8/25/2004 6:41:59 AM
I had a similar problem (just not at the exact same time
everyday).  I needed to install the latest patch from
Trend to resolve it.

0
anonymous (74722)

IE 6 problems on Windows XP + SP2
Hi People, Some users are reclaim that they don't get to view mails image from our OWA. It only happen when the access is from internet. Internally we don't have any problems. After some tests I discovered that it only happens from computers with XP + SP2 installed. Or better, when we try to view the mails images (gif) from a Windows XP without the SP2 the access is normally. The problem does not happen with the IE7 installed, just with IE6 and IE6 +SP1 Any advices? Tks very much -- Elvecio ...

Exch 5.5 How to Change Default View GAL
Can anyone tell me if there is a server side way to change the default view of the GAL to be "All Users" instead of "Global Address List" for all clients? I don't want to have to manually change the Outlook profile of over 1200 accounts ...

install OL 2002 in win98 ver 1 problems
I am trying to install OL2002 over OLexpress in win 98 ver 1 to use w/ an Ipaq 1945 PocketPC. After install I can not find OL2002 any where. Install says all went well , but OL express is still there and OL 2002 is not (no icon, directorys, folders etc) Nothing! Any help here is appreaciated. Does it show up in Add/Remove programs? Can you find the installation directory? Did you try to reinstall it? J wrote: > I am trying to install OL2002 over OLexpress in win 98 > ver 1 to use w/ an Ipaq 1945 PocketPC. After install I > can not find OL2002 any where. Install says all ...

Outlook Attachments #6
I have a user who cannot open an attachment that all other users can. He is using Outlook 2002 on Win 98 and the attachement is a RTF document created in Word 2002. He is getting a message "Can't create file: rtfDailySummary.rtf Richt-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder." He can open other attachments in his email without any problems. I tried saving the attachment and previewing the attachment but got the same message. I checked all folders but since this is Win98 there ...

linear trend lines
can anyone help? I have to put 95% confidence intervals around a linear trend line. How do I work out the values for the trend line? I am using a scatter graph with 2 sets of data. Please help! --- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ The confidence bound for the estimated line at x is =FORECAST(x,known_y's,known_x's) +/- TINV((1-conf)*2,COUNT(known_y's)-2) *STEYX(known_y's,known_x's) *SQRT(1/COUNT(known_y's)+(x-AVERAGE(known_x's))^2/DEVSQ(known_x's)) the confidence bound for an individual observation at x is =FORECAST(x,known_y's,kn...

Using Trend
I have data like this: A B A B A B A B 1 10 2 20 3 30 4 ? The trend formula is =trend (known y, [known x],new x) Generally we select the known y values which are in continuous cells, and then select known x values, after which for a new x value – y-values could be estimated. But is there any way that this could be done by selecting y and x – values which are in non-contiguous cells( like values if present in alternative cells) Thanks Answered under separate threads in charting and programming newsgroups. Jerry vijaya wrote: > I have data like th...

WM_ACTIVATEAPP: VC 6 vs 7.1
Hi, One of the paramters of WM_ACTIVATEAPP changed from HTASK to DWORD. What's the recommended way to maintain compatibility with both VC 6 and 7.1? Just some #if magic? Olaf Thats what I do. I don't use VC7 for production code yet - no point as a new release is on the way, but the compiler is still better so I periodically copy projects to a work directory and run through the vc7 compiler fixing issues such as this with #ifdefs and also bug fixing code that needs it then retro fitting the changes into the vc6 project. - Tim "Olaf van der Spek" <OlafvdSpek@GMail...

Trends / Trended items
I've got Version 11 - it doesn't say the year and I can't remember (2003 perhaps?). I find the forecast cash flow feature very useful but also very inaccurate as some items seem to get picked up as likely recurring expenditure or income, and some do not. Is there a better way of controlling this, and has it been improved in later versions? You have a couple of choices here with the forecast cash flow. You can use 'trended' items, which Money calculates based on previous spending. You could use budgeted items instead or turn both off. With 2003, you may be able ...

microsoft works 6.0
when i reopen a spreadsheet it always defaults back to the beginning of the spreadsheet. how can i set it to reopen where i left off. thanks ...

exchange 2007 #6
I am told you can set up catchall mailboxes using the hub transport rules at the organization level. However, I can't seem to get it to work. Anyone have any specific guidance on this ? Thanks. Ben EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

duplicate emails #6
I have been experiencing duplicate emails on my outlook 2002. Whenever i receive an email, i get it twice. Does anyone know how to get rid of the duplicate? Could be 2 rules that conflict each other. Could be that you have multiple POP email accounts with the same pop address (in which case you need to configure the send/receive settings to only send mail for one of them). "darren" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05b101c39aa6$c792ef50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have been experiencing duplicate emails on my outlook > 2002. Whenever i recei...

Instalment Scheduler Ver 9 SP 2
Hi Folks I do not have multi-currency enabled and if I try to use the Instalment Scheduler software I receive the following error 'Please enter a valid Currency ID'. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this please or has someone found a work-a-round? Regards & thankx Sheila Further on this one - I see that on Partnersource the module is listed as'Scheduled Instalments - Europe'. Am I to presume that it is only available in Europe? I am in South Africa. Thankx Sheila "Sheila" wrote: > Hi Folks > I do not have multi-currency enabled and if I...

Outlook Send/Receive #6
Hi; I`m trying to setup Outlook to Send/Receive every 1 minute while connected through dail-up. It doesn`t seem to POP my messages at all. Is this by design, or is there a fix for it. "Schedule S/R" is set to 1 minute under the Options window. Tx, Ben Every one minute is a bit much, no? Checked your account settings, make sure they are set to check / poll messages from the respective servers... >-----Original Message----- >Hi; > >I`m trying to setup Outlook to Send/Receive every 1 >minute while connected through dail-up. It doesn`t seem >to POP my messag...

Trend line through the origin
I have three points (sometimes four) on a scatter graph. I need the formula for the best fit straight line through them that also goes exactly through the origin (0,0). an example of data would be: Test 1 X = 202.64, Y = 226.59 Test 2 X = 301.34, Y = 335.99 Test 3 X = 400.03, Y = 450.45 Alan See help for LINEST, or use =SUMPRODUCT(ydata,xdata)/SUMSQ(xdata) Jerry Alan Cocks wrote: > I have three points (sometimes four) on a scatter graph. > I need the formula for the best fit straight line through them that also > goes exactly through the origin (0,0). > >...

trend
Is there any way in which I could arrive at a trend on reducing percentage Starting with 13% for 2000 & Dropping to 8% for 10000 So basically, when I put any value between 2000 & 10000; say, 7569 in c1, I get the corresponding % in c2 -- Dr. Sachin Wagh MBBS, DHA, DPH One way .. Assume the known data below is in A1:B2 2000 13% 10000 8% and C1 contains 7569 Put in say, C2: =FORECAST(C1,$B$1:$B$2,$A$1:$A$2) C2 will return 9.52% -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Dr. Sachin Wagh" <DrSachinWagh@di...

CDateTimeCtrl #6
How can I allow a user to blank out a value in a CDateTimeCtrl after a date has been entered and saved? ...

Using Access 2007 runtime along with full install of Access 2K
Is it possible to successfully run Access 2007 runtime on a machine that has a full install of Access 2K? We seem to be having issues with the following registry key not updating when switching back to the older version of Access. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{4AFFC9A0-5F99-101B- AF4E-00AA003F0F07}\9.0\0\win32] @="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office\\msacc9.olb" Following running Access 2007 runtime the key changes to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{4AFFC9A0-5F99-101B- AF4E-00AA003F0F07}\9.0\0\win32] @="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Of...

Exch Logs
Bet. 0-5 Logs are being created on daily basis within c:\progfiles\exchsrvr\mdbdata. Each around 5MB in size. Eating up space. What are these logs for. Can I delete without affecting Exch2003. These are your Exchange transaction log files; do not interfere with them manually. You need to perform an online backup with an Exchange aware backup program. This will purge the log files on a nightly basis (assuming you choose a full or incremental backup). As a short-term measure, you could enable circular logging, but this will limit your ability to recover to the point of failure. You really n...

XP/Outlook 2K/DI 7.0
No response in windowsxp.general newsgroup. Maybe you guys know. Grandkids were to be over for visit. So, imaged XP to another hard drive with DI 7.0 Let them have free reign on the internet. As expected they picked up some stuff that I didn't recognized. NAV found stuff, as did Trend Micro's antispyware. More than a week later, rather than deal with surprises that either program may have overlooked, I just restored the image previously mentioned including the mbr and disk signature to cover all the bases. Noticed, after the restoration from image file, I had to activate Trend M...

Trend Lines
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC How do I remove a trend line from an Excel chart? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01CA7512.08A654E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable richpot - Short answer: Select the trendline, and press the Delete key. Longer answer: Select the chart or a chart object. Use the up-down arrow = keys to cycle through the major chart objects until the trendline is = selected. (Or, use the left-right arrow ke...

help #6
I have been sent a quiz sheet published in Excel, its a few pictures of films with the faces missing, and you have to guess the film titles. It's been driving me mad, i have been at it for days. The sheet itself has password protection, is there a way around this , please help me save my sanity, i need to cheat. TIA If I recall, the answers are in column S. So in T1, put =S1 and drag down. If you look at the formula that gives you the right/wrong response, you can see the address of the cell that contains the answer. Ron Bird wrote: > > I have been sent a quiz sheet publish...

Excel 2003 Find and Replace is changed to previovois ver.-awful!!
Well, the 2003 version of Excel has several changes compared to E2000 and older. As an example the find and replace function now has as default the active box "replace with", while earlier had "Find what". For no good reason one has to re learn. And this is just one change. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft We...

OE 6 losing blocked senders from list?
I've been noticing lately that some of the trolls I've blocked in various NG's messages are reappearing and I've found that the blocked senders list is suddenly losing details from it. Any ideas ? Has OE6 only got a limited amount of space for blocked senders? Seems to work fine apart from this. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of = them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news = groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express informatio...

Automated mailbox move on Exchange 2k cluster
Hello World I got a handful of mailboxes to move at the very middle of the night on our exch2k cluster (I must) and I really need to automate it. I got the Exch2k SDK from MSDN website. The script MoveMailboxADSI_CDOEXM.vbs works perfectly on the non-clustered testing environment (Exch2k Adv + Win2k Adv) but it does not work on the production environment (Exch2k Adv + Win2k Adv clustered) with the following error message <Start Quote D:\>cscript c:\script\movemailboxadsi_cdoexm.vbs "HKG2C001" "HKG Leung Alan" "M X_2" "First Storage group" "HKG...

Queues #6
We have an exchange server and we currently have 443 messages in the smtp queue. We have done force connection but coming back with the following message. The remote server didnt respond. Unsure what the next step is. We have got around this by rebooting, before but lost all emails. Can anybody help Thanks Are your forwarding to a smart host? Can you telnet to the remote server on port 25 successfully? -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "peter" <peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...