Too many Names in Directory Service Error

Hi,

Exchange 2003.  When setting up an Outlook 2003 client for a new user , and
performing the "Check name" operation to verify the server and alias, I
receive an error "too many names have been found in the directory service or
the server has reached its time limit fo searching".   And consequently can't
setup Outlook.   OWA works fine for this new user.

There are around 30 existing users - which have been setup over the last
year or so - without any problems.   I have tried setting up an Outlook 2003
profile for a different (existing user) on this machine, and also for this
new user and an existing user on a different client PC, and I get the same
error.  So it seems something in Exchange or AD is broken.

There are no other symptoms (users all logging on OK, email flow fine - it
just seems to be the "check name" that doesn;t work).

Firstly any ideas what may be causing this? I can find nothing on Technet or
Google - there are no event logs updated on the server or client at the time
of the error. DNS etc seems to be fine.

Secondly - Is there a "hack" for configuring the Outlook profile manually
(which does not perform a verification)  that may allow me to get the Outlook
profile for a new user configured (they are currently having to use OWA),
until I find out what is causing this.

BTW this is Exchange 2003 on SBS - although presumably this should have no
bearing.

Regards,

Fred

Sounds like something is broken.  All I can think of is to log a call with
PSS.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"fred" <jacma70@123.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Exchange 2003.  When setting up an Outlook 2003 client for a new user ,
> and
> performing the "Check name" operation to verify the server and alias, I
> receive an error "too many names have been found in the directory service
> or
> the server has reached its time limit fo searching".   And consequently
> can't
> setup Outlook.   OWA works fine for this new user.
>
> There are around 30 existing users - which have been setup over the last
> year or so - without any problems.   I have tried setting up an Outlook
> 2003
> profile for a different (existing user) on this machine, and also for this
> new user and an existing user on a different client PC, and I get the same
> error.  So it seems something in Exchange or AD is broken.
>
> There are no other symptoms (users all logging on OK, email flow fine - it
> just seems to be the "check name" that doesn;t work).
>
> Firstly any ideas what may be causing this? I can find nothing on Technet
> or
> Google - there are no event logs updated on the server or client at the
> time
> of the error. DNS etc seems to be fine.
>
> Secondly - Is there a "hack" for configuring the Outlook profile manually
> (which does not perform a verification)  that may allow me to get the
> Outlook
> profile for a new user configured (they are currently having to use OWA),
> until I find out what is causing this.
>
> BTW this is Exchange 2003 on SBS - although presumably this should have no
> bearing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/21/2005 4:18:32 PM
Hi Fred,

Thanks for posting.

I noticed that you have submitted a similar post  in smallbizserver news
group. If it is an identical issue, to avoid duplicating the steps and in
efforts to track our troubleshooting process, I suggest you continue to
reply to that post but I will work on this issue with Bill together. It is
our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Wen Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCP, MCP+I, MCSE,

wensun (38)

Found contact too many times
I find it irritating when I try to use contacts sometimes. I create a contact, add a phone number, a fax number and and a nick name. I start an e-mail. For a while entering the nick-name works, and then it stops working and I cannot even FIND the name when I enter it (when I e-mail myself at home, my nick-name was "me", and that worked for over a year. I forgot what I did to get it to work last time). So I start typing in the name and let it auto-complete. It gives me a choice between e-mailing to two identical versions of my e-mail address (although I can only find it once...

database connection error
I have my batabase and POS on the same machine as my operation is very small. I find that when the network cable is unpluged i get a database connection error. Can someone explain why that happens if the POS is pointing to the database that is on the same machine and not over a network? Set SO Administrator - File - Configuration - Servername to: (local) instead of your ip address or computer name. This may also be an issue with your SQL server client network utility. "Andaiye" wrote: > I have my batabase and POS on the same machine as my operation is very small. ...

How to handle value-added services by third party vendors?
We're stumped on how to handle the following (i.e., issuing POs and accounting for the costs properly): 1. We normally stock & sell ItemA as individual units. 2. It was decided to bundle 3 ItemA's into one package & sell as ItemA-3. 3. We are going to purchase the ItemA's from VendorA, but have them drop shipped to VendorB to shrink wrap them in bundles of 3 for us. VendorB will then ship the shrink-wrapped bundles to our warehouse. We've come up with a plan for dealing with this, but it's very cumbersome. In a perfect GP world, how would one deal with this? T...

#VALUE! when using defined name
HELP!!! Problem: receive #VALUE! Using a defined NAME range In workbook MonthlyBudget09Mstr.xlsx are sheets 1209Sch and 1209 1209Sch contains all monthly entries, 1209 is the summary sheet. Defined name: HousingItems, ='1209Sch'!$L$83:$L$88, Values: {"1";"2";"3";"4";"5";"15"} Workbook <<from Name Manager L88 is a SUM function but I have remove L88 from range and still have problem Placing =HousingItems in cell B4 of sheet 1209 results in #VALUE! Error B4:B9 are empty Can copy and then paste 1209Sch L8...

Unknown Error 0x80040119
Hello! Having some pretty huge issues with this error - Unknown Error 0x80040119 this occurrs when the Send/Receive button is pressed in Outlook 2003 on a Terminal Server session. Scenario: Users accesses email from a Notebooks out of office using VPN. Outlook is configured to connect an exchange server in cached mode. This particular user travels frequently and also accesses their email via Outlook on our Terminal Servers which is when the problem ocurrs with "Unknown Error 0x80040119". http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814441 On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:47:00 +0100, "A...

What does "Compile error in hidden module:Autoexec New" mean?
I am receiving this error message when i start excel, with saved excel programs as well as new ones I am creating. A PDFMaker add-in problem. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307410 -- Jim "Karla" <Karla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5C336C6-10D3-40BE-8146-C0491DA16804@microsoft.com... |I am receiving this error message when i start excel, with saved excel | programs as well as new ones I am creating. ...

Failed Recent Updates and Error Code 80070490
Since yesterday my computer and me have been trying to install two Vista updates: Security Updates for Windows Vista (KB967723) and Updates for windows Vista (KB972145) and I get the Error Found Code 80070490 I have Windows Vista Ultimate. Please advise. Hello Octavio, 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND Corrupted System File; Need to perform an in-place upgrade or reinstall of the OS. How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7 <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833> Tell...

Outlook "The object could not be found" error (O2003)
Hi there, In Outlook 2003, whenever I have an email with a email link inside it I get an error "The object could not be found", when I try and click it. This has only happened since I installed my Activesync software for my PDA. any help? any fixes? This is killing me! Have you rebooted since installing AS? Does Event viewer give you any additional information? Did you try reregistering IE? reregister urlmon.dll by clicking start, run and typing regsvr32 urlmon.dll if that fails, try How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP http://...

Changing the Organization Name
I need to change my organization name in CRM, my license keys are registered under my Full Company Name and CRM was installed without the LLC. Note: The organization name created in the previous procedure (setting up CRM) must match the organization specified when your license key was obtained. When you do the install, the Org Name you specifiy needs to match the Org Name that was used for the License Keys. So, in your case, just install it w/o the LLC (assuming that's what your license keys are setup for). The v1.2 install shouldn't let you by the screen where you enter this ...

"Messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
I'm running Outlook 02 on Win XP Pro SP2. I think this may have been caused by the DST time zone update utility, but I'm not certain. Here's the situation. If I try to open a calendar item I get the following error: "Can't open this item. The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." If I try to create a new message or appointment from the quick start toolbar, or clicking a mailto: link on a web page: "The operation failed." If I click the "to" "cc" or "bcc" button while...

What's the name of the file that stores AutoComplete addresses
My Outlook had to be re-installed and I lost my contact list which is very large. I see several files in the recycle bin. Is one of them by contacts? Autocomplete cache is an NK2 file, named for your profile, often outlook.nk2. Paste the following line in the address bar of windows explorer; %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and it will open to the folder where its stored. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subsc...

Mail Relaying denied error message, how can it be fixed???
I setup outlook express smtp to use incoming: mail.tpg.com.au and outgoing: mail.tpg.com.au I can successfully receive emails and read newsgroup but I can't send out emails because it keep on return the below error message, how can it be fixed so that I can send emails? Thanks... The error message when sending is::: The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'huy9876@hotmail.com'. Subject 'Re: Again', Account: 'mail.tpg.com.au', Server: &...

SQL2008 connection error
Hi, I just migrated SSRS2005 tp SSRS2008. My question is, 1. I can't connect to SQL 2008 at all, I tried ODBC and SSRS reports. TCPIP is enabled. 2. Now the SSRS 2008 url is http://servername /prodreports, How do I change the URL to reports.company.com Thnaks, Hi, can you try outside of SSRS (via ODDB Admin) if you are able to connect to the ODBC datasource. If you are using SQL 2008 I would recommend the Sql Server Managed Provider instead of ODBC. You can change the url reservations in the RS Config Tool (RSCONFIGTOOL.EXE) Best Regards Klaus Sobel &...

Userenv errors 1058 and 1030 on clients
Hello, I'm bursting my head with this already. Clients complaint that their logon 50% of the tiimes don't sync (using redirected folders). If they cancel the sync, or either logon without lan, and after that plug in and sync manually, it goes ok. It just doesn't happen most of the times at logon and logoff times. On the server side I have no events on this. On the client side I have plenty, all stating that: "Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO cn={6C5E2B58-133A-4744-8CDD-89D66A73793F},cn=policies,cn=system,DC=iasopor,DC=local. The file must ...

Formula Cell Error
Hi all, i have a problem with the following code, would appreciate if anyone can give me some help on this. Basically everything works fine except for this line: Cells(i, 12).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(J" & StartCount & ":J" & EndCount & ")" The cell will reflect "=SUM('J2':'J3')" instead of "=SUM(J2:J3)". --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sub Test() For i = 2 To 100 Step 1 Cells(i, 1).Select If Cells(i, 1).Interior.ColorI...

Error
My HR users are seeing a new error when trying to update one of the fields on the "Position Extra Fields" Screen (located at "Position Setup" Screen -> "Position Extra Fields" Screen) The error is "This employee record has been changed since you opened this window. Changes won't be saved." I can duplicated it also, even when signed in as admin. I tried tracing it but see nothing that helps. A SQL trace shows an attempted insert to HRPOS022 then next a Select to Dynamics..Sy01700 (holds the error messages) Ca...

Money internal error when I download from bank
Help! was using M04, recently upgraded to M05. After new install was prompted to use MSN passport- realised afterwards I didnt want to. After reinstall and restore from backup, I am now finding that when I download from Royal Bank (Canada) there is an "internal error" and money restarts. It often does this 2 or 3 times on restart, and Ive lost the downlaod data from the bank- Im fed up with having to restart and type entries by hand. Have I a setting wrong somewhere? ...

REPOST Re: Trying to get mailbox lock from process
Has anyone made any headway on this issue? I am currently trying to determine if any informative messages are logged on the server side. --=C ####################### Hi Brent, Is it possible the mailbox is being accessed by another client at the same time? -Michael On 10/21/04 12:38 PM, in article BD9D5E5D.473D%brent@hazmatexplo.org, "Brent DeCracker" <brent@hazmatexplo.org> wrote: >> Michael, >> >> Just to throw my two cents in - I'm having the same problem, and it didn't >> occur until I upgraded to 11.1. I've been using th...

User Name #2
Every time I try to open an Excel or Word document I'm prompted to enter a user name (which is added by default). It has only recently appeared. How do I get rid of this pest? I'm using Office 2007 and Windows Vista. ...

Item Price List Copy Error
Hello - I am using GP 9.0 and have been utilizing the "Copy Price List" option from the price list maintenance window. This has not given me any problems in the past. However, now when I go to copy a price list (I select the item#, select the source item #, and then when I go to process, an error message comes up on the report printout that states: "Item in use or has been edited by another user". We have no idea why this is happening as no one else is editing the item. Please advise as to what we might do to fix this error. Thanks in advance! Are you sure th...

Windows Live Mail Error
For the last two days I have been trying to send some emails, but I'm getting and error message: Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC68 That's not the complete error message. Right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply = here.=20 We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message. =20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Teresita" <Teresita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:3123D0B2-59CE-4F44-BFA6-25883FB7F6BC@microsoft.com... ...

E-mail "Send To" name list
All the names in the pop-up "Send To" address list are alpha by FIRST names, which is dumb, annoying and time consuming. How do I switch the list to alpha by LAST name and make that default??? ...

ERROR... Please Setup Biller First
After entering several Billing Transactions all of a sudden the error message "Please Setup Biller" came up. I could no longer get into the Project "Biller Transaction" screen. Prior to that the document number quit automatically entering the "Billing Transaction" screen. Please help! You might need to increase your document size to something larger. Perhaps it's only a few characters wide? "Jill" wrote: > After entering several Billing Transactions all of a sudden the error message > "Please Setup Biller" came up. I cou...

Backup error Access Denied
I have been recieving the following error message for a while and can't figure out how to fix it. It is only happening on one mailbox. "Backup - \\MBMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Access denied to file Jhon Doe [jdoe]Top of Information StoreSync IssuesServer FailuresMail Delivery (failure jdoe@xyz.com)." Help Please Can you access the mailbox from a mail client? If so, you can use mdbvu to look at the Top of the Information store folder, and delete the message in there. If you cannot access the mailbox, then I have seen it where some users think they are ...

delete multiple range names
I have a workbook with multiple sheets. The workbook was built by someone else and has multiple range names that are no longer needed. How can I delete all range names to start fresh? Hi, In excel 2007 , go to Formulas, Name manager, choose the name to delet and click delete "mnsue" wrote: > I have a workbook with multiple sheets. The workbook was built by someone > else and has multiple range names that are no longer needed. How can I > delete all range names to start fresh? The following macro will delete all range names in the active workbook S...