Too many Names in Directory Service Error

Hi,

Exchange 2003.  When setting up an Outlook 2003 client for a new user , and
performing the "Check name" operation to verify the server and alias, I
receive an error "too many names have been found in the directory service or
the server has reached its time limit fo searching".   And consequently can't
setup Outlook.   OWA works fine for this new user.

There are around 30 existing users - which have been setup over the last
year or so - without any problems.   I have tried setting up an Outlook 2003
profile for a different (existing user) on this machine, and also for this
new user and an existing user on a different client PC, and I get the same
error.  So it seems something in Exchange or AD is broken.

There are no other symptoms (users all logging on OK, email flow fine - it
just seems to be the "check name" that doesn;t work).

Firstly any ideas what may be causing this? I can find nothing on Technet or
Google - there are no event logs updated on the server or client at the time
of the error. DNS etc seems to be fine.

Secondly - Is there a "hack" for configuring the Outlook profile manually
(which does not perform a verification)  that may allow me to get the Outlook
profile for a new user configured (they are currently having to use OWA),
until I find out what is causing this.

BTW this is Exchange 2003 on SBS - although presumably this should have no
bearing.

Regards,

Fred

Sounds like something is broken.  All I can think of is to log a call with
PSS.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"fred" <jacma70@123.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Exchange 2003.  When setting up an Outlook 2003 client for a new user ,
> and
> performing the "Check name" operation to verify the server and alias, I
> receive an error "too many names have been found in the directory service
> or
> the server has reached its time limit fo searching".   And consequently
> can't
> setup Outlook.   OWA works fine for this new user.
>
> There are around 30 existing users - which have been setup over the last
> year or so - without any problems.   I have tried setting up an Outlook
> 2003
> profile for a different (existing user) on this machine, and also for this
> new user and an existing user on a different client PC, and I get the same
> error.  So it seems something in Exchange or AD is broken.
>
> There are no other symptoms (users all logging on OK, email flow fine - it
> just seems to be the "check name" that doesn;t work).
>
> Firstly any ideas what may be causing this? I can find nothing on Technet
> or
> Google - there are no event logs updated on the server or client at the
> time
> of the error. DNS etc seems to be fine.
>
> Secondly - Is there a "hack" for configuring the Outlook profile manually
> (which does not perform a verification)  that may allow me to get the
> Outlook
> profile for a new user configured (they are currently having to use OWA),
> until I find out what is causing this.
>
> BTW this is Exchange 2003 on SBS - although presumably this should have no
> bearing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/21/2005 4:18:32 PM
Hi Fred,

Thanks for posting.

I noticed that you have submitted a similar post  in smallbizserver news
group. If it is an identical issue, to avoid duplicating the steps and in
efforts to track our troubleshooting process, I suggest you continue to
reply to that post but I will work on this issue with Bill together. It is
our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Wen Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCP, MCP+I, MCSE,

wensun (38)

distinguished name of a group
Can somone give me the proper syntax for the distinguished name of a (security)group? Thanks, Steve "Stephen M" <smeier-spamless@primelink1.net> wrote: >Can somone give me the proper syntax for the distinguished name of a >(security)group? It's the same as the DN for any other object in the AD. You can use either LDP.exe or ADSIEDIT to see what the name might be on any specific object. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Names on 1099s
What field does the name that prints on 1099s come from? Here's my problem: We have a lot of vendors that are sole proprietors using dba names. A/P entry will only have the dba name when they receive the invoice, so that needs to be the name that comes up in CP lookups. The individual owner's name needs to appear on 1099s, and I don't see a separate field for this. Mike, I believe it is the Vendor Check Name Kind regards, Leslie "Mike" wrote: > What field does the name that prints on 1099s come from? > > Here's my problem: W...

"Too many different cell formats" error
Receiving this pop up error message when opening a .xls file. File will not open. Any suggestions on how to fix and save file? Hi Lorena XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Lorena" <lorena.l.solano@convergys.com...

auto name checking #2
I have changed computers and moved my outlook account over using the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. Everything is functioning with Outlook however the Auto Name Checking does not work on all names. I have checked the two relative boxes in the advanced email options but it still does not work on all the names. Is there something in Outlook that I must correspond to recipients before it gets registers for auto name checking? Outlook builds the names dynamically from names that you have already typed. Moving your settings from one machine to another does not transfer this info...

many-to-many relationships by Graham Mandeno
Hi to all, A couples of months ago I was looking for a good way to handle a many- to-many relationships. I finally found this sample db: http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/SampleDBs.htm. It's simply great! Unfortunately it doesn't work in my case because instead of using just numeric ID to relate the table I'm make use of alphanumeric ID. In the previous: http://groups.google.it/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/25f1941ea8428424/9d3fc99e39b80743?lnk=gst&q=riccifs+many#9d3fc99e39b80743 Graham told me that there was a way to give to the sample db this...

Compiling DLLs with name mangled names
I'm trying to write a wrapper to jvm.dll, but I can't keep the compiler from demangling the names of the exported functions. I have a jvm.def file with the name mangled names that I want: EXPORTS ??_7ASPSOldGenff@6B@=__E__0__ @1 ??_7ASPSYoungGen6B@=__E__1__ @2 .... And a jvm.cpp with function stubs with this signatures: extern "C" __declspec(naked) void __stdcall __E__0__() .... After compiling and linking the names of the exported functions are demangled. How can I compile the dll without demangling the names? My compiler and linker options: CL.EXE /O2 /GL /I ".&q...

sending and receiving' reported error (0x800ccc0f):
Whenever I try to send mail from outlook, I Outlook issues an error of: Task 'grayareaentertainment.com - sending and receiving' reported error (0x800ccc0f): 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or internet service provider (ISP).' I am using AOL dialup to access the internet. I am operating on Windows 98 2nd edition. I used Norton Anti Virus, with e-mail scanning disabled. I have reentered my account information aftger disabiling the norton anti- virus email scanning. Does anyone have any...

OBRES:22063 Error Updating Transactions
I am using MS money 2007 and continue to get an error indicating that I am unable to update tansactions. The error reported is EventID obres:22063 and source=16.0 Of course, microsoft has no additional information in the knowledge base concering this item. Has anybody out there encountered this issue? Better yet, does anyone have a solution. Thanks, Joe I am using Money 99 and started getting the same message and have been trying to figure out how to fix it with no luck. It seems it may be something with new versions of Internet Explorer, I am using version 7, but I think the pro...

Should this be one to Many or Many to Many.. Relationship
Hi, New to Access learning... I have Table 1.. Publisher Table 2.. Books I was wondering .. Should I create Transient Third Table e.g. BooksPublisher.. Or Should I put PublisherID key AS Foreign key into Books Table ? which would be Practical E.g Books Publishers BooksNPublishers Pk BookID Pk PublisherID PK BookPublisherID Fk BookID ...

Select directory
Hi! Can anyone tell me how to create a dialog for selecting directory/path? I need to get user input for where he/she wants to save files. Is it possible to use CFileDialog and set flags or whatever to do this? Hi, hope this helps (sorry for the line wrapping): int BrowseForFolder( CWnd* pParent, CString & strFolder, int idsTitle) { int iResult = 0; LPMALLOC pMalloc; /* Gets the Shell's default allocator */ if (::SHGetMalloc(&pMalloc) == NOERROR) { BROWSEINFO bi; TCHAR pszBuffer[MAX_PATH]; LPITEMIDLIST pidl; CString strTitle(MAKEIN...

intials from names
Hi In A and B are the last and first names of patients. How can one display only the first letter of the name in the chart or perhaps in another cell? i.e. Smith John 126 pounds SJ 126 A1 has: Smith B1 has: John In D1 use =LEFT(A1)&LEFT(B1) to get: SJ best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45B9BE75-ED6E-4F70-8BC5-6146F5C1C46B@microsoft.com... > Hi > In A and B are the last and first names of patients. How can one display > only...

Error setting up online accounts
I am trying to set up MS money to download my mortgage acct activity. My bank is listed as having online services available but when I click on the link(from money), to set it up, it starts the process and then I get an error which says something about money not beinag able to contact the bank and to check my internet connection? My connection is fine. I have MSM 02. Any suggestions? ...

DNS Error
When users send e-mails this is what they get ... The destination server for this recipient could not be found in Domain Name Service. Please verify the e-mail address and retry. If that fails, contact you administrator. Please advise. Thanks, WP. On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:07:04 -0700, "WILDPACKET" <WILDPACKET@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When users send e-mails this is what they get ... > >The destination server for this recipient could not be found in Domain Name >Service. Please verify the e-mail address and retry. If that fails, contact >you ...

.def file library name
Hello fellow Newsgroupies! With an MFC linked DLL the name of the library appears in the .def file. Is there anyway of getting hold of that library name during runtime? Sample code... ; example.def : Declares the module parameters for the DLL. LIBRARY "EXAMPLE" EXPORTS ; Explicit exports can go here ExampleFunctionOne ExampleFunctionTwo ie: can I get hold of the 'EXAMPLE' string using an API function? Many thanks in advance, 'Newsgroupie' England "Newsgroupie" <buzbymb@yahoo.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio news:5b567c44-dff6...

Too many clicks! Available formats box
Hello folks I have a client who is unhappy with the amount of clicks in Word 2007. One particular frustration is the Insert Date and Time Available Formats box. Is there anyway to get Word 2007 to just insert the default Date without the additional steps of the format box? I know to the average person, it's not a big deal but this user lives in a pressure cooker and needs the useability of Word 2007 to make things faster, not slower. Thanks for your suggestions! Bill Hole MCTS, SBSC Ask the client to add the Date & Time command to the Quick Access Toolbar ...

When forwarding an email how many recipients can I send it to?
I got an error response when I forwarded an email to many in my address book. It said, something about too many recipients. How many is too many? I set a 300 recipient limit to my Exchange users at work. This is set at my server level. Quote from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA012002371033.aspx Many e-mail service providers set limits for the number of names that can be in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields in a message. For example, your e-mail service provider may limit each message to a maximum of 100 e-mail addresses. If these addresses can be distributed among the To, Cc, and ...

Too many many-to-many?
To all, I hope you can shed some light on this for me. I am using Access 2003. I have three main tables 1) Project 2) Contractor 3) Service (general contracting, soil testing, architecture, etc) I have two 'join' tables to create a m:m relationship between Projects and Contractors and Contractors and Services a) ProjectContractorJoin b) ContractorServiceJoin I would like to be able to create a form where I can select a project, then select one or more contractors, then select one or more services that each contractor could offer (and track when they start and end those services...

Using Macros to remove a name from a list
I own a small business with roughly 45 employees (mostly teenagers). There's lots of turnover. I've got a spreadsheet that I use to track tips according to the role and shift that our staff works. My manager has the ability to select the staff member who earned the tip from an in-cell drop down list (using DV). Here's my question. I want to make it really easy for my managers to add or delete staff members from the drop down list. I've created a separate worksheet with two sections: "add staff member" and "delete staff member". When they want to...

error uploading large attachments, help me!
Hi, I tried to upload a big attachments (50 MB) and I get error: error in comunication with the serwer, serwer might be unevailable. Try again later. If it want help - contact administrator. I modified the registry key for maxuploadfilesize and I modified also web.config for CRM for maxRequestLength, but it still don't work. I'm available to attach files up to 25 MB, but no more. Please help me, I need a quick resolution. Application probably got timeout. It's not recommended to put a file this big in CRM. The CRM database will fill up really fast. For a document size this big...

Too many fields
I have a table and I think it is normalized based on other postings I have read. There are about 500 object<->value pairs, that needs to be tracked for 500 different objects on every single day of the year. And, all 500 objects should have a value for that day. Object 1-30 is about one topic, Object 31-60 is about another topic, etc. tblObjects, I have 500 records like this (pk) fldObjectID - autonum fldObjectName - Text 50 tblObjectValues, (pk) fldDate - Date/Time (pk) fldObjectID - (fk) to tblObjects fldObjectValue - integer Now, I want to show the 500 records of tblObjects ...

Add'l GP 10 instance installation
I'm trying to set up a second instance of GP 10. While running the installer I get this error ".NET Framework 2.0 not detected" and the installation fails. I do have .NET Framework 2.0 installed, as well as 3.0 and 3.5. What's the easiest workaround for this? Elaine, I think you are trying to install GP10.0, version prior to FP1. The reason why you are getting this error is because you have .net framework higher than 2.0. To resolve your issue, you need to follow the procedures listed in KB Article 947538 that you'll find in Customersource/Partnersource. OR Yo...

Updating Names
Hi, I have several worksheets which contain the same names but different info. I want to be able to add and delete names in one source file which will update the other worksheets, sort in alphabetical order and keep the same data in all the worksheets linked to the right name. Thanks Hi BLM; Jan Karel Pieters's Name Manager add-in, freely downloadable at: http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm Might well reduce a lot of the manipulation pain - and it is well worth having anyway! --- Regards, Norman "BLM" <BLM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Cryptic CRM Error -- Advice?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C78CA8.E6D658F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, Trying to add a value to a dropdown list within CRM. When I click save it tells me it is updating the attribue and then I get = the following error: "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system = administrator" That is all I get. Nothing in the Windows Server Error Log. Any advice? Alan ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C78CA8.E6D658F0 Content-Type: text/html; char...

A document with the name "*.xls " is already open ...etc
When opening XL I get the following message ............ "A document with the name "*.xls " is already open " ...etc I've learned to ignore the message and it doesn't seem to affect anything BUT does anyone know why I get this message. I like to solve problems not ignore them .............. Merci Gary First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore other applications" OR Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe.....

Importing decorated names
Is there any way to get the procedure address using GetProcAddress which is exported by __declspec(dllexport) not as extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) . I don't want to use full decorded name while loading function GetProcAddress .. My function returning a pointer to a C++ class. ...