To Ex2K3 or NOT Ex2K3, that is the question

I have a 4-site 5.5 organization distributed across the country. I want to
get away from 5.5 before the end comes, plus we allow FAR too much mail to
be stored..... It's time to upgrade our technology.

The question is, 2K or 2K3?

I have a rule... never jump to a product before SP1 at least, but I'm
thinking of breaking that rule.

I've heard 2K3 is rolling out well, it's the same basic codebase, I'm
worrying about nothing. However, past experience tells me not to fall for
that line. Politically, I can't take the problems of major mail failure, but
we need the advantages of 2K3 over 5.5 in terms of mailbox recovery, spam,
adminstration, etc...

We're running Outlook 2000 as the client, with a W2K base for Exchange
whichever we choose, although NT4 is still around and running the 5.5's....

Honest opinions/thoughts /experiences greatly appreciated....

0
steve469 (2)

Hi Steve,

after performing a few Exch2k3 installations I can admit that the product
does indeed appear to be very stable. You can keep an eye on Technet
regarding any new issues that might arise (pre-SP1) but again MS has taught
us that even a SP-1 might not be enough... There are always going to be
issues with SP-1 that require patches and perhaps a SP-2.

I would definitely not consider Exch2k now as the cost of upgrading compared
to the 2k3 feature list makes it sound like a bad idea
(http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/features/Ex_Compare.asp). If
you are happy to wait for a SP and your 5.5 boxes still behave then you can
afford to take your time...

I didn't understand from your email whether you are running NT4 on all
domain controllers or whether you have a Win2k mixed mode. If you are still
on NT4 then the migration / restructuring of moving to Win2k3 is far more
important than the one of Exchange. Finally if you have already invested in
a partial upgrade and some of your servers are running Win2k with AD this
would be the only valid point against 2k3. In that case your ROI might be a
lot more obvious by building a robust Win2k - Exch2k site which
(technologically) will still be good enough for the next 2-3 years...

Thats my 0.02p

GMK

"Steve Simek" <steve@simek.name> wrote in message
> I have a 4-site 5.5 organization distributed across the country. I want to
> get away from 5.5 before the end comes, plus we allow FAR too much mail to
> be stored..... It's time to upgrade our technology.
>
> The question is, 2K or 2K3?
>
> I have a rule... never jump to a product before SP1 at least, but I'm
> thinking of breaking that rule.
>
> I've heard 2K3 is rolling out well, it's the same basic codebase, I'm
> worrying about nothing. However, past experience tells me not to fall for
> that line. Politically, I can't take the problems of major mail failure,
but
> we need the advantages of 2K3 over 5.5 in terms of mailbox recovery, spam,
> adminstration, etc...
>
> We're running Outlook 2000 as the client, with a W2K base for Exchange
> whichever we choose, although NT4 is still around and running the
5.5's....

> Honest opinions/thoughts /experiences greatly appreciated....

0
gmk (6)
12/10/2003 2:51:35 PM
I have just recently set up my own exchange 2003 box.  I
have also used exchange 5.5 and 2000 in the past and I
feel that 2003 is light years better than either of
them.  It seems to run faster than 2000 on a similar
speced box.  The 2003 web access is also much better than
2000 and 5.5.  As for migrating to 2003 from 5.5, I
haven't done that, though I have migrated to 2000 from
5.5 and it wasn't that much of a hassle.  Since 2000 and
2003 are very similar, I can't see moving to 2003 being
much different.  Good luck though!
0
anonymous (74719)
12/10/2003 2:56:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I am interestee in one comment though please....
I do have a mixed mode, although the NT4's are going away soon.
Other than ROI issues, does the mixed mode connection create a technical
issue for Ex2K3?

Thanks
Steve
"George M. Karaganis" <gmk@sorrynoreply.com> wrote in message
> Hi Steve,
>
> after performing a few Exch2k3 installations I can admit that the product
> does indeed appear to be very stable. You can keep an eye on Technet
> regarding any new issues that might arise (pre-SP1) but again MS has
taught
> us that even a SP-1 might not be enough... There are always going to be
> issues with SP-1 that require patches and perhaps a SP-2.
>
> I would definitely not consider Exch2k now as the cost of upgrading
compared
> to the 2k3 feature list makes it sound like a bad idea
> (http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/features/Ex_Compare.asp). If
> you are happy to wait for a SP and your 5.5 boxes still behave then you
can
> afford to take your time...
>
> I didn't understand from your email whether you are running NT4 on all
> domain controllers or whether you have a Win2k mixed mode. If you are
still
> on NT4 then the migration / restructuring of moving to Win2k3 is far more
> important than the one of Exchange. Finally if you have already invested
in
> a partial upgrade and some of your servers are running Win2k with AD this
> would be the only valid point against 2k3. In that case your ROI might be
> lot more obvious by building a robust Win2k - Exch2k site which
> (technologically) will still be good enough for the next 2-3 years...
>
> Thats my 0.02p
>
> GMK
>

> "Steve Simek" <steve@simek.name> wrote in message
> > I have a 4-site 5.5 organization distributed across the country. I want
> > get away from 5.5 before the end comes, plus we allow FAR too much mail
> > be stored..... It's time to upgrade our technology.
> >
> > The question is, 2K or 2K3?
> >
> > I have a rule... never jump to a product before SP1 at least, but I'm
> > thinking of breaking that rule.
> >
> > I've heard 2K3 is rolling out well, it's the same basic codebase, I'm
> > worrying about nothing. However, past experience tells me not to fall
for
> > that line. Politically, I can't take the problems of major mail failure,
> but
> > we need the advantages of 2K3 over 5.5 in terms of mailbox recovery,
spam,
> > adminstration, etc...
> >
> > We're running Outlook 2000 as the client, with a W2K base for Exchange
> > whichever we choose, although NT4 is still around and running the
> 5.5's....
> >
> > Honest opinions/thoughts /experiences greatly appreciated....

0
steve469 (2)
12/10/2003 3:15:51 PM
Steve,

I think we need to start from the beginning: how many servers, what o/s are
they running and where will the exchange sit?

TIA,

George

> [...]
> > >
> > > The question is, 2K or 2K3?
> > >
> > > I have a rule... never jump to a product before SP1 at least, but I'm
> > > thinking of breaking that rule.
> > >
> > > I've heard 2K3 is rolling out well, it's the same basic codebase, I'm
> > > worrying about nothing. However, past experience tells me not to fall
> for
> > > that line. Politically, I can't take the problems of major mail
failure,
> > but
> > > we need the advantages of 2K3 over 5.5 in terms of mailbox recovery,
> spam,
> > > adminstration, etc...
> > >
> > > We're running Outlook 2000 as the client, with a W2K base for Exchange
> > > whichever we choose, although NT4 is still around and running the
> > 5.5's....
> > >
> > > Honest opinions/thoughts /experiences greatly appreciated....

Question on mixing MFC and Winform
We had some problems (I posted earlier about overlapping windows that may be transparent, draw order etc). Well we got the drawing working more or less but there is quite a bit of flicker. I was curious if we switched to WinFroms if perhaps things might work better. Our app is an unmanaged MFC app (we don't really use any of the Doc/View support). I've started reading and researching mixing of WinForms with MFC. I'm curious if I replace the CView with CWinFormsView and then create child windows of the type CWinFormsControl if this may help. But I'm not finding mu...

A Question to the Gurus
Hi, I am developing an application with several components in it. The main application will have a GUI and there are several components like BHO, MS Office Addins, Clipboard trackers etc. I have a problem here. These components should communicate with the main application by some means. It has to pass some events or some values to the main application. I will be creating both the components and the main application and I would like to know, the best method to connect the components to the main application. I have pretty good exposure to COM and Windows programming. Also Is it possible...

Blackberry question #2
We keep every single message since the dawn of time on our exchange 2003 server. Yes, every message even since MS Mail. Luckily we are only 60 users and the total of all mailboxes is only about 16 GB so our 3.4 ghz, 1GB of RAM, and RAID array server can handle 10 times the load, but I don't know if a Blackberry can handle the President's mailbox He is interested in getting a Blackberry and I was curious as to how his 800MB mailbox would interact. I would assume that the Blackberry's do not have anywhere near that capacity so how do I manage him getting only the messages ...

To Ex2K3 or NOT Ex2K3, that is the question
I have a 4-site 5.5 organization distributed across the country. I want to get away from 5.5 before the end comes, plus we allow FAR too much mail to be stored..... It's time to upgrade our technology. The question is, 2K or 2K3? I have a rule... never jump to a product before SP1 at least, but I'm thinking of breaking that rule. I've heard 2K3 is rolling out well, it's the same basic codebase, I'm worrying about nothing. However, past experience tells me not to fall for that line. Politically, I can't take the problems of major mail failure, but we need the advantag...

Format Questions
Hello, Thanks for all the previous help. I have been copying a list of frequencies from a web site into Excel. I imagine that I am copying as Text; would this be so ? I have pre-formatted the column that I am pasting into as "Numbers". For the most part, works O.K., as I can modify them as numbers, and do numerical ops on them. But, for some, after the pasting, Excel apparently (still) thinks they are text. When I try to do a numerical op on them, I get an error msg. No apostrophe evident in formula bar preceding the number (or whatever Excel thinks it is) a. any general thou...

Socket Question.
We have a vb.net 2005 console application running that listens for data from about 100 wireless devices and receives and sends data back and forth from sql 2005. It works pretty well but every once in awhile it seems like it hangs and have restart the socket program itself to get going again. Looking for a way maybe when it doesn't receive data for specific time period, it restarts. Started looking at the receivetimeout option but can't find too much help on it yet. Thanks, Joe "Joe J" <Joe J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21E95AB8-...

FRx Rows and Account Number Questions
Being new to FRx, I have a couple of questions... 1. In setting up the rows, I have my accounts groups by classification, i.e. assets, liabilities, etc. and have blank rows in between the groups. Since I have a very large amount of accounts that can have values, I have to include them all. But where I'm running into the problem is where there isn't data in the groups, they don't print, which is fine. But, in between the groups there's the blank line. If there is a few groups that don't have data, I still get the blank lines between the categories. Is there a wa...

new Ex2k3 build and Outlook 2k3 outbox issue
Hello, I have an interesting issue, we just built an Ex2k3 SP1 Cluster that we are going to go live with this weekend. In doing some tests the following happens. Send an email to a mailbox on the cluster and it sits in Outbox until I either send another message or click on the outbox, as soon as I do that it goes through. This is the first non 5.5 server in the company, on a new Active Directory domain. This seems to be happening with Outlook 2k3 cached and non-cached, tested with XP and we can see it hit the outbox and immediately sends. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jeremey It's p...

Newbe Question ON Min, Max
I have a calculated value in cell A1 which changes daily. In cells B1, B2 I need to place the upper and lower (High & Low) values that appear in A1 over time but I'm not sure how to do this. Suggestions greatly appreciated. This is absolutely not how Excel works. So you need a macro solution. Righeclick the sheet tab, choose "view code", paste this in: Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() If Me.Range("A1").Value > Me.Range("B1").Value Then Me.Range("B1").Value = Me.Range("A1").Value Me.Range("C1").Value = Now ...

Listserv and EX2K3
Has anyone experienced any problems with list servers (Listserv) since they've introduced EX2K3 into their environment. I have a user who belonged to a List server and now no longer receives e-mail from it. Is there a way to allow that list.server to send mail to my domain? Thanks, Bkana "Bkana" <Bkana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Has anyone experienced any problems with list servers (Listserv) since >they've introduced EX2K3 into their environment. I have a user who belonged >to a List server and now no longer receives e-mail from it. Is there a ...

Bar Chart Question Multiple Elements
Greetings excel people, I have the following data below and I want to create a bar chart fo the total # of yes answers, and the total # of no answers for eac category, for the current location. In addition, I need each tota displayed to its corresponding bar. How do I do this? Thanks for your needed help Location Answer Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 TB YES 12 23 23 2 TB NO 34 33 4 -------- Message sent via www.excelforums.com Put the data in columns in Excel like you posted below. Highlight all the data (should be 6 columns and 3 rows) and either click the Chart icon or click on Insert in the toolbar...

A very unusual question
Hi, This is nothing do with C++/MFC. I know this is the wrong place to ask this type of questions, but I tried other places and found nothing. Well the question is how to configure my news-client (Outllook 2000 or Outlook Express 6) to access this newsgroup. This will help me verry much. A pointer to right place will be welcomed. Thanks for your co-operations. Outlook 2000 is not a news client so you can't use it to access these messages. Since your message got here I'm assuming that you must have Outlook Express working :) If not, go into the Tools/Accounts and pick Add->...

routing questions
New to 2003 and I'm not sure how to handle routing. Our current 5.5 environment has 2 bridgehead servers - passing mail to about 26 sites, little over 8,000 mailboxes worldwide. Currently we have only 1 Exchange 2003 server for mailbox and routing purposes. As we add these other sites (have not done any yet), I'm concerned that this one box can't handle the load of mail traffic. What is the best practice for this - my management won't bring any "professional" help in and sent me to one class, over a year ago so I'm floundering here. Our current server is go...

Licensing Questions
I'm building an iSCSI host for a client of mine, and was wondering what the license requirements would be. Here is he question, If I install my iSCSI host software (in this case StarWind) on a windows 2003 Platform, what kind of license do I need, ie do I only need the OS license or do I also need CLIs. Since no actual "User" will be accessing this Server Directly (they might be using a VMDK stored on the host LUN, but that would be via my VMware servers... basiclly, I'm using the iSCSI host, to host disk space for 2 or 3 VMWare ESXi hosts, hosting 2 or 3 VMs which...

PrintDialog question
Can I bring up a printdialog or printsetupdialog and apply its settings to the device context when next printing? ...

Webserver question
Hi all, I have a delphi program, which has to be "converted" in a visual C++ program. Delphi code follows: procedure TFormMain.POST(url: string; s: string); var IdHTTP: TIdHTTP; Request: TStringStream; Response: TStringStream; begin IdHTTP := TIdHTTP.Create(FormMain); Request := TStringStream.Create(s); Response := TStringStream.Create(''); try try IdHTTP.OnStatus := IdHTTPStatus; IdHTTP.Port := Port.Value; IdHTTP.Host := IPAddr.Text; IdHTTP.Request.ExtraHeaders.Add('Authorization: Basic '+ Base64Encode(Login.Text+':'...

Where do my questions go?
The last 2 questions I have asked on this site under Windows XP General have just disappeared. I can till see my previous questions but not the last 2. Help point me in the right direction please? Charlie3110 wrote: > The last 2 questions I have asked on this site under Windows XP > General have just disappeared. I can till see my previous questions > but not the last 2. Help point me in the right direction please? Unfortunately - the trouble could be anywhere. You are using the Microsoft web interface for the Newsgroups to paste these messages it seems: X-Newsreader...

Registry question
Hello Group, How can I create a registry key that can be deleted by any user on the machine. A sample code or any other reference will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Geo On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:49:25 -0700, Geo wrote: >How can I create a registry key that can be deleted by >any user on the machine. Then you'd have to put it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. See the family of functions which begin Reg... with particular attention to RegCreateKeyEx, RegSetValueEx and RegCloseKey. Here's a sample (trivial) function. It adds a key/value, and is designed to make the registry look l...

Another Query Question
Hi all With the help of Ken Sheridan, I feel in touching distance of a solution to my current application issues. I have a union query which returns results on links made between accounts. Each entry represents a defined link between 2 accounts - there is a remarks column (not shown) associated to the link describing the reason behind it. There are 2 fields in the union query: link-id and ac-id. So the output of the union query looks like: link-id ac-id 1 1647 2 1639 3 1681 4 1677 5 1681 1 1677 2 ...

Diagnostic logging question
When the diagnostic logging in Exchange 2000 is enabled, where are the logs stored? The Application Event Log. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "news.microsoft.com" <Xeon@donotemailme.com> wrote in message news:eGHrvbr3FHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > When the diagnostic logging in Exchange 2000 is enabled, where are the > logs > stored? > > ...

Problem with message routing between EXCH2K and EX2K3
We are running a ver simply Exchange topology, with an Exchange 2000 single server (ServerA) acting as "dumb" Information Store. Incoming and outbound SMTP email is relayed through a Linux based SMTP host relay on the same subnet, which handles all domain lookups for mail routing. ServerA is configured to use to the Linux SMTP server as it's smart host. The domain is a native Windows 2003 AD topology. My problem is the following: I have recently added a new Exchange 2003 Server (ServerB) into our Exchange site topology. If I create a user (UserA) on ServerA and then do a...

Smart Host question
Hello, We forward all outbound email through a SMTP Smarthost.... We are finding more and more our outbound messages are moving into the "Messages with an unreachable destination" queue on our Exchange 2000 server... Eventually, usually within 10 minutes, those same messages are then properly delivered. Any ideas for me as to why this is happening??? Thanks, Troy Do you see any relevant events in App Event log? Enable diag loggign and see the logs. Troy Bruder wrote: > Hello, > > We forward all outbound email through a SMTP Smarthost.... We are finding > more...

CRM 2011 question
just upgraded to CRM 2011, anyone know how to view emails saved by "Set regarding" for a contact or account? it used to be under "History" but I can't find it in 2011. Thanks Brian I figured it out. Brian "BrianT" <brian@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:Wqu9p.19649$D94.3196@newsfe20.iad... > just upgraded to CRM 2011, anyone know how to view emails saved by "Set > regarding" for a contact or account? it used to be under "History" but I > can't find it in 2011. > > Thanks > Brian > > ...

Question on datasources
Hi, I am relatively new to SSRS and have a quick question - SQL 2005 sp2 comes with some free reports called Performance Dashboard. I have successfully published these in SSRS but, would like to be able to select the server I want to run it against rather than having one set of reports for each server. Is there a way to have the data source prompt for the server? Thanks, you can have an expression based data source but it is per report, not a shared data source. Then you need to have a parameter that you select from that specifies the server. -- Bruce Loehle-Conger...

Mailbox creation date in EX2K3
Hi All, Well in Ex55 I used to be able to view mailbox creation date relatively easily. In EX2K3, I know I can use adsiedit to view the attribute "whencreated" but is there an easier way (e.g. through ADUC)? Thanks, itrcb4 I don't think you can see when the mailbox was created, even in adsiedit, can you? that's just when the account was created, is it not? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Itrcb4" <Itrcb4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C2127CD-0DC8-49B0-AAB2-2C1EA975FBB1@microsoft.com... > Hi All, > > Well in Ex55 I used to be abl...