Tips for reducing users mailbox size ?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me tips on how users should reduce the size
of their mailboxes.  I have already that they go through their
attachments from their Sent Items folder and also delete mail from the
Deleted Items folder.  They are doing this but their mailboxes keep
getting bigger.

Many thanks in advance

In news:1126522532.838149.226650@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
graeme.hendry@whitehallsystems.com <graeme.hendry@whitehallsystems.com>
typed:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone can give me tips on how users should reduce the
> size of their mailboxes.

The same way they'd deal with papers on their desks - you throw it away or
file it somewhere. They should delete stuff . They can also move relevant
items to public folders if you set up folders for them there. Don't send
attachments to co-workers on the same server(s) - tell them where the files
are to be found in the shared folders on the file server(s).

> I have already that they go through their
> attachments from their Sent Items folder and also delete mail from the
> Deleted Items folder.

They should empty that when Outlook closes anyway, or you should set up
mailbox manager policies to empty it regularly (for E2k/2003; you don't
mention your version of Exchange). Use deleted item retention so they can
get items back for X days. The Deleted Items folder is not a place to keep
things you "might need later" - it's a wastebasket.

> They are doing this but their mailboxes keep
> getting bigger.

Use mailbox quotas and they'll have to manage this themselves. Set defaults
on the mail store(s) and set exceptions where needed.

> Many thanks in advance

0
lanwench (7567)
9/12/2005 12:23:48 PM
I have set a maximum mailbox size of 450 MB and people are saying that
they need more space.  We are using exchange 2000 with Outlook client.
What would be the best way for them to do this on their own machine ? I
know about Auto-archiving but does this actually reduce the mail that
is on the server ?

Thanks again

In news:1126542942.305938.114690@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
graeme.hendry@whitehallsystems.com <graeme.hendry@whitehallsystems.com>
typed:
> I have set a maximum mailbox size of 450 MB and people are saying that
> they need more space.

If they can demonstrate a business need to management, give it to them -
presuming you have Exchange Enterprise, not Standard, the only real limit is
your disk space & backup/restore capabilities. There's a 16GB limit in
Standard, and you need to leave some room for deleted item retention. Do the
math and make sure there is no way you can a) hit the 16GB mark in Standard
and/or hit your disk space/tape backup limit with what you have. If people
absolutely need larger mailboxes, and you're near whatever limits you have,
you will need to invest in software/hardware to handle it. This is a
management issue more than a technical one, at the end of the day, usually.

> We are using exchange 2000 with Outlook client.

What version? OL2003 makes organizing stuff a lot easier. Search folders,
etc.

> What would be the best way for them to do this on their own machine ?

To do what? Delete items, move them to public folders, remove attachments
from sent items, etc? The best way is to make sure they are doing daily
housekeeping. Which they have to do if they have quotas and get near them.
Everyone should always have a quota, in my opinion, even with Enterprise.

> I know about Auto-archiving but does this actually reduce the mail
> that is on the server ?

It reduces their mailbox size - it doesn't reduce the mail store on the
server itself.

Public folders are a good thing, and people should be using them. You get
another 16GB there in Standard. More (see above) in Enterprise.

> Thanks again

0
lanwench (7567)
9/13/2005 1:38:10 AM
graeme.hendry@whitehallsystems.com wrote:

> I have set a maximum mailbox size of 450 MB and people are saying that
> they need more space.

Talk to whoever pays for the software and hardware, let them decide if thay
are willing to pay for storage, possibly buy Enterprise version of Exchange
and accept consiquences of longer backups and restores.

>  We are using exchange 2000 with Outlook client.
> What would be the best way for them to do this on their own machine ?

And what is hard disk dies in their machine? Or they move to different
machine? Or archive.pst grows over 2GB?

> know about Auto-archiving but does this actually reduce the mail that
> is on the server ?

Yes, it does.

--
Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm for how to make good post.

Text from most dialog boxes can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

0
kpalagin (1838)

Tip
To go to the bottom of a bunch of contiguous data, I've alwasy hit the END key, and then the down arrow. Likewise, END right, END up and END left work the same way (you can also hold shift in conjunction with these commans to select data). This morning I stumbled across a way to do this with the mouse. Within a large selection of data, click on a cell. Then move your mouse to the bottom border of the cell (like you were going to drag and drop), then when your cursor looks like a double cross hair, double click. This performs the same function as END down arrow. Hi This works with *a...

Access crashes for particular user
I have a problem with Access crashing for one particular user. It's one particular database - she can use others. But the database is widely used by several others. Her security profile is not unique. My IT guys insist it's the database, but I don't understand why she would be the only person with the problem. I've tried creating a new user name for her, but it didn't help. I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks Is the problem with the user or the workstation? Does the database worknormally for this user at other workstations? Do other users haveproblems when u...

Message when adding additional mailbox to outlook: The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed
I'm having a really strange error with some users mailboxes in Exchange. Firstly, this is isolated to a small number of users and applies across all computers for those users. When I try to tell outlook (2000 or 2003) to open additional user mailboxes for a few isolated users, the moment I hit the add button (before even being able to enter the other mailbox names or anything else) I receive the message "The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed". I've tried doing this for the affected users on other computers (same result), different outlook versio...

Change installation user after install?
Is it possible to change the designation on the installation user after install without redeployment? Currently we can not change the password on the AD account used to install CRM without causing CRM to be unusable. It causes the following error message when accessing via web: "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator." Also, we are only able to access the Deployment Manager when logged in as this user account. Not as big a problem as the password changing obviously. Thanks! Hi; I am not sure about the first problem but have idea abu...

Tooltip tips
If you try to use tooltip in a VC++7 MFC program like in SuperTip it will not work unless you use the sizeof AFX_OLDTOOLINFO for the tooltip structure: ti.cbSize = sizeof(AFX_OLDTOOLINFO); The definition is found somewhere in the afx.h files. ...

tips for career developments
please visit the sites you get more informations, IT informations, downloads, medications, stock tips etc., ************************************************************* www.easyinternetmoney.50webs.com www.microsoftlatestedition.blogspot.com www.bestbuygiftcardannajames.blogspot.com www.twowheelerinusa.blogspot.com www.popularcarintheworld.blogspot.com www.goodjobforus.blogspot.com www.skinallergymedication.blogspot.com www.intellprocessmakeyoufast.blogspot.com www.softech35.blogspot.com www.faceclinic.blogspot.com www.moneytreegrowth.blogspot.com www.latestplasmatechnology.blogspot.com www....

End-user License Agreement 12-22-09
I had Windows XP and Office 2003 worked just fine on it. Then, I got Windows 7. Everytime I start any Office 2003 program, I am asked if I accept the End-user License Agreement. I also have Powerpoint 2007 and it doesn't do this. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks! Patty Often this can be resolved by logging in as Administrator, then accepting the license agreement. I don't know if that works in Win7, but it wouldn't hurt. -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Delete user in CRM 09-22-06
I have a user that ahve left. I have delete the user in the AD - but if I would like to delete the user in CRM I can´t seem to find the way to do this. I know how to actived and De-actived a user - but I would like to delete the user totally in CRM, how can this bee done besides going to the tables themselves to do it..there is not a supported way. To be honest, if you reassigned every record they own to someone else and then you deactivate them, there really is not a good reason to delete them. I understand it would be nice but since it is not possible it is just something th...

new user
I'm a new user of visio .when I drag data flow arrow into drawing and conncet to processor It is showing error.How do we have correct that error "Data flow doesn't have an orginating element" (this problem is in DAta flow modeling Gason -Sarson).Can anybody tell how the level 0 and level 1 Diagrams are created in DFD.How doesa processor works. I need a Immediate help The Data flow arrow must originate and end with another object like an Interface or Datastore. So, make sure that the arrow is connected on both ends. A Process cannot stand by itself as it is a means ...

please say the tips for socket programming
hi, i have changed my code like this: sender: ******** //Method for checking any errors to establish connection int Sender::SetAddress(void) { GetAddress(); //connect to the address specified with the socket and check if any error int returnValue=connect(mySocket,(struct sockaddr *)&serverAddress,sizeof(serverAddress)); if(returnValue== INVALID_SOCKET) { returnValue = WSAGetLastError(); cout<<endl<<"Error in Connecting"; CloseSocket(); return 1; } else cout<<endl<<"The connection is ready for communication"; return returnV...

Zombie users problem in Exchange 2000 SP3 urgent
Help please, Sorry its a long one but urgent Deleting Active Directory accounts and mailboxes in preparation for inplace upgrade to exchange 2003. Currently running exchange 2000 SP3. Anyway forgot to check permissions on a directors mailbox and now the event view shows ACL messages error 9551 an error occured whilst updating the acl on folder MBX task/mailbox name located on first storage group mailbox store. Then it says Information store unable to convert security for recipient. both the mailboxes involved have been deleted from the system just today as they no longer work here. ...

Shared Calendars not Displaying User Name
Outlook 2003 / Exchange 2003, both fully patched and running on XP Pro SP2. Shared calendars added under "Open a shared calendar". Header of calendars only displays "Calendar", not the username of the shared calendar owner. How can I get Outlook to display the username, please. At the moment I have multiple calendars open and they all are headed "Calendar". Not very useful :-( TIA, Bill http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2005/20050809.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for W...

Log of user name date and time
Hi i have a data base that requires the user name, date and time in the notes section every time that something has been changed on the data base and when someone has opened that record is their any easy way that i can do this? This is what you're looking for http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=286298&tag=nl.e101 It records what was changed, by who, and when You might have to register, but it's free, and the spam they send out is often actually quite interesting, and it's easily stopped if you don't want it. Alec Sarar wrote: >Hi >i hav...

Is the user notified of storage limits exceeding?
Is there anything in Exchange 2000 or 2003 that tells a user when they have exceeded the Prohibit send receive threshold? If the user has already passed the warning when the policy has been implemented, I cannot get any sort of message sent to the user explaining why their email has failed. I'm guessing that because send and recieve has been prohibited, nothing can be sent to the user telling them they can't send anything. Any advice? Thank you. I can't find the KB I read to back this up but from what I remember the Prohibit Send/Receive message is sent at the same interval ...

Tip on changing Passport accounts to get around bug
I hit a bug in Money that someone may benefit from. I have a single Money file and changed my email account, which changed my Passport. I could successfully change the Passport stored in the Money file, but when I exited and restarted Money, the default email address was the original. I mucked around in the registry without success. But what worked was to start Money, exit (allowing a backup to be created), then deleting the original Money file and restarting Money. It noticed the file was missing, and offered to backup. Letting that happen and entering the correct Passport info allowed the l...

How to increase the size of a Pivot Table Graph
I have created a very simple Pivot Table 3-D Pie Graph, but it shows on the screen in a size of approxiamtely 2 inches by 2 inches (at 100% window size). I click on the graph to make the four corner points highlight, but I can't drag them to increase the general size of my graph. Can pivot table graphs be increased in size, or are that fixed to one size? Many thanks, Hi did you use the icon on the pivot table toolbar to create the pivot graph? mine always come out at full window size ...also works if i choose this option after choose data / pivot table and pivot chart report and...

Allocated TIPS
Can anyone explain to me how to set this up? What pay code to set up? etc? All I can find is "mark in payroll setup to allocate tips" but it doesn't explain how to actually do the allocation, I found an explanation of how GP makes the calculations, but not how to start the process in GP. I've looked in knowledgebase as well as the online manuals-all I can find is one small paragraph-it doesn't even tell you how to set up the paycode. I would set it up like reported tips with a different code and calculate myself (which I want to do anyhow), but I can't fig...

Field Service Anywhere Users ?
Looking the FSA product option and would like to get some insight from any current users of the product. Please respond if you would like to share your thoughts and experiences. My 2 cents: Installed and tested on only 1 device, so definitely NOT a thorough test. We used Palm 700wx phone for the test. Performance: VERY sloooooowwww. Don't know if it is our network here (we don't have EVDO) or the program or the device. This has been a very problematic device for us, so wouldn't be surprised if it is partially to blame. As an aside, if anyone is considering getting thes...

Managed User
What does "Managed User" mean? I thought I would receive an answer to my question posted on this forum in two business days since I am a "Managed User". But I have had no response to the question I posted on 10/27/2005. How is this supposed to work? You have to make sure you are set up on CustomerSource just right, in order to trigger the two-day response. Go back through Newsgroups|Managed Newsgroups and make sure your e-mail address is in there. "Etienne" wrote: > I had the same problem and submitted a Support Request. They responded > quic...

Defraging the mailboxes
Can someone tell me the correct way to defrag a 5.5's information store / mailbox's Rgds Exchange will conduct its own internal defrag run. Look for event id 1221 on both the private and public stores (you will have several events, one for the priv and about 4 for the pub) They will tell you how much free space is in the stores. If the percentage (which you will work out as it only gives MB space)is in single to late twenties then no need to defrag. If you perhaps are into the 30% free space area then an offline defrag (MIGHT) be warranted. The switches are here: http://su...

What happens to Disabled users records?
Hi All! Been searching for the past hours and can't really found an answer to my client question. What really happens to all the records type when you disable a user in CRM (or Delete is AD account)? I know that "normal" procedure should be to reassing to another user the ownership of the records of a disable user, but the client asking this would rather know in detail (and myself too now!!) what happens since a lot of the "trace" of who did what to a record/activity/ect. would be replace when you re-assign and not know if it's the previous owner or the current ...

QUICK HELP
I need to take a schedule and reduce all the total hours across the board by 30% ... is there an easy way to do this?? in a panic trying to get proposal out.... Thanks, J Hi Try: Insert Work column or apply Work Table Copy Work column to Excel Use Replace to remove h for hours Use formula to calculate new values copy paste back into Project Work column. -- Rod Gill Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com "JPD" <jdescant@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

Two copies of all Mailboxes
Using my sbs2003 srver with exchange 2003 installed - I notice two copies of all users mail box in the list of mailboxes using outlook 2003 on the same server. When I try to close these I get an error syaing mail boxes in use. I cn not remove them. Can you tell me how to remove these so I have just on mail box visible per user? thx Kevin Cain Class TECHNOLOGY ...

user id and password login
I have cable modem connectivity through adelphia. I recently set up a user id and password through adelphia and use outlook 2002. I set up my email account and am receiving and sending mail successfully. My only problem is that when I click on to outlook, my email pops up instantly without asking for an user id and a password. I have previously set up accounts using other versions with success but nothing seems to work with this version of outlook. Can you help me? Remove the username and password from your Email Account settings, and you should get the pop up. "shellyfw@ad...

Changing Multiple Users Details
We are using Exchange 2003 SP2 and I need to change all our users company info and addresses, as we have moved physical locations... Is there a way to change all users information in one simple procedure? Not sure if this is an Exchange thing or a AD thing... Thanks in advance guys... I think ADModify.net might do what you want http://www.gotdotnet.com/Workspaces/Workspace.aspx?id=f5cbbfa9-e46b-4a7a-8ed8-3e44523f32e2 "Chris H" <ChrisH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76A45444-7337-4C50-B536-34C4F6F9EBA5@microsoft.com... > We are using Exchange 2003...