This is not a relay host - mail must be to or from host domain

We have a distribution group that contains external contacts.  When
someone from that group receives an email and does a reply it sends the
email back to our exchange server but then they get an ndr because the
exchange server returns the error "This is not a relay host - mail must
be to or from host domain" as it wont then send on the email to the
rest of the external contacts contained in the distribution group.  Do
I just need to add the domain name to the relay restrictions list under
the access tab on the smtp virtual server?

Thanks in advance

Is this an Outlook distribution group?
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"ICT User" <ictuser2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> We have a distribution group that contains external contacts.  When
> someone from that group receives an email and does a reply it sends the
> email back to our exchange server but then they get an ndr because the
> exchange server returns the error "This is not a relay host - mail must
> be to or from host domain" as it wont then send on the email to the
> rest of the external contacts contained in the distribution group.  Do
> I just need to add the domain name to the relay restrictions list under
> the access tab on the smtp virtual server?
>
> Thanks in advance

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/31/2006 5:13:35 PM
"ICT User" <ictuser2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>We have a distribution group that contains external contacts.  When
>someone from that group receives an email and does a reply it sends the
>email back to our exchange server but then they get an ndr because the
>exchange server returns the error "This is not a relay host - mail must
>be to or from host domain"

That's not an error that Exchange would send.

>as it wont then send on the email to the
>rest of the external contacts contained in the distribution group.

Why would you expect it to? The message isn't reaching your Exchange
server.

>Do
>I just need to add the domain name to the relay restrictions list under
>the access tab on the smtp virtual server?

If the message is sent with the correct "From:" address (one that's in
your Recipients Policy) there should be no problem with mail delivery.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Rich Matheisen [MVP] wrote:
> "ICT User" <ictuser2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >We have a distribution group that contains external contacts.  When
> >someone from that group receives an email and does a reply it sends the
> >email back to our exchange server but then they get an ndr because the
> >exchange server returns the error "This is not a relay host - mail must
> >be to or from host domain"
>
> That's not an error that Exchange would send.

I explained the ndr incorrectly.  The person who replies to the group
gets an ndr (i dont have the email with the headers so im not sure
exactly what the message is) but we certainly get the following message
appear in our postmaster account.

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email
server.  Please contact your system administrator.
            <our exchange server #5.5.0 smtp;551 This is not a relay
host - mail must be to or from host domain.>

We have only started getting this message since upgrading our smart
host to a newer version but this message in postmaster implies that it
has come from the exchange server and nothing to do with smart host

> >as it wont then send on the email to the
> >rest of the external contacts contained in the distribution group.
>
> Why would you expect it to? The message isn't reaching your Exchange
> server.
>
> >Do
> >I just need to add the domain name to the relay restrictions list under
> >the access tab on the smtp virtual server?
>
> If the message is sent with the correct "From:" address (one that's in
> your Recipients Policy) there should be no problem with mail delivery.

I'm being stupid but i dont know exactly what you mean by this! The
group has a from address of group@ouronlydomain.com which is in the
only recipient policy we have...

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

"ICT User" <ictuser2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>I explained the ndr incorrectly.  The person who replies to the group
>gets an ndr

I understood that from your original post.

>(i dont have the email with the headers so im not sure
>exactly what the message is) but we certainly get the following message
>appear in our postmaster account.
>
>There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email
>server.  Please contact your system administrator.
>            <our exchange server #5.5.0 smtp;551 This is not a relay
>host - mail must be to or from host domain.>

This is just Exchange reporting what it's been told by the other
server.

>We have only started getting this message since upgrading our smart
>host to a newer version but this message in postmaster implies that it
>has come from the exchange server and nothing to do with smart host

Au contraire! Your smarthost is rejecting the RCPT TO command.
Exchange is just reporting the situation to the message originator.

If you just started seeing the problem after you did something to your
smarthost, why not start by looking for the problem where you made the
change? Why assume that Exchange (which was not changed) must be the
source of the problem?

>> >as it wont then send on the email to the
>> >rest of the external contacts contained in the distribution group.
>>
>> Why would you expect it to? The message isn't reaching your Exchange
>> server.
>>
>> >Do
>> >I just need to add the domain name to the relay restrictions list under
>> >the access tab on the smtp virtual server?
>>
>> If the message is sent with the correct "From:" address (one that's in
>> your Recipients Policy) there should be no problem with mail delivery.
>
>I'm being stupid but i dont know exactly what you mean by this!

I mean that Exchange wouldn't say that relaying isn't permitted if the
RCPT TO address was in one of its Recipient Policies.

>The
>group has a from address of group@ouronlydomain.com which is in the
>only recipient policy we have...

The group has an e-mail address of group@ouronlydomain.com. The
message you send TO the group should have a "From:" address of the
sender, not the group. The "To:" address would be the group's e-mail
address group@ouronlydomain.com.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thanks

Rich Matheisen [MVP] wrote:
> "ICT User" <ictuser2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> 					[ snip ]
>
> >I explained the ndr incorrectly.  The person who replies to the group
> >gets an ndr
>
> I understood that from your original post.
>
> >(i dont have the email with the headers so im not sure
> >exactly what the message is) but we certainly get the following message
> >appear in our postmaster account.
> >
> >There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email
> >server.  Please contact your system administrator.
> >            <our exchange server #5.5.0 smtp;551 This is not a relay
> >host - mail must be to or from host domain.>
>
> This is just Exchange reporting what it's been told by the other
> server.
>
> >We have only started getting this message since upgrading our smart
> >host to a newer version but this message in postmaster implies that it
> >has come from the exchange server and nothing to do with smart host
>
> Au contraire! Your smarthost is rejecting the RCPT TO command.
> Exchange is just reporting the situation to the message originator.
>
> If you just started seeing the problem after you did something to your
> smarthost, why not start by looking for the problem where you made the
> change? Why assume that Exchange (which was not changed) must be the
> source of the problem?

> >> Why would you expect it to? The message isn't reaching your Exchange
> >> server.

> >> If the message is sent with the correct "From:" address (one that's in
> >> your Recipients Policy) there should be no problem with mail delivery.
> >
> >I'm being stupid but i dont know exactly what you mean by this!
>
> I mean that Exchange wouldn't say that relaying isn't permitted if the
> RCPT TO address was in one of its Recipient Policies.
>
> >The
> >group has a from address of group@ouronlydomain.com which is in the
> >only recipient policy we have...
>
> The group has an e-mail address of group@ouronlydomain.com. The
> message you send TO the group should have a "From:" address of the
> sender, not the group. The "To:" address would be the group's e-mail
> address group@ouronlydomain.com.
>

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

How to bypass Smart host relay in EX2K3 when delivering SMS to a mobile device.
Hello. How can I configure Exchange Server 2003 SP2 to deliver SMS directly to the mobile carrier instead of relaying to the configured smart relay host? Thanks in advance. I want to enable AUTD for Mobile Devices in EX2K3. Legal disclaimer? Well, that's provided by a specific package rather than Exchange (unless you've done an event sink in years past) So, you need to have a go at working out what that package is and how it's configured. On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:44:50 -0500, "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote: >Hello. > >How can I configure Excha...

Win2k domain and 5.5 domain
Hi. Is it possible to have a W2K domain for validating logins and using a NT4 domain with Exchange 5.5 as the e-mailserver. Before W2K was introduced it was possible to have a accountdomain and a resourcedomain with a trust between to let the validated accounts have access to your mailbox. My plans is to move a 5.5 server to a site where they already have setup their W2K domain. The domain will be populated with the users that have the mailboxes on the 5.5 server i am planning to install. Is it possible? Mariah "MN" <MN@nospam.com> wrote in news:#SR0$4X9DHA.3380@tk2msftn...

There must be a better way to code this
I am no VBA pro but I do write several semi complicated macro. Here is that I wrote to check for two errors using if then else statements. It works perfectly but I wonder I it could be written more professionally. If error1 <> 0 Then 'error 1 check If error2 <> 0 Then 'error 1 & 2 found MsgBox error1 & " data input are missing and highlighted in yellow. " _ & error2 & " entries are a missmatch and highlighted in blue." Exit Sub Else 'error 1 only found MsgBox error1 & &qu...

Remote PC to join domain
My company have off site replication of our servers for the event of a disaster. We have a contract with a company that will provide office space for our staff in just such an event. They hold an image file of our PC's ready to roll out if needed. The PC's will then need to be joined to our domain using the remote offsite replicas. We will have site to site VPN between teh temporary office and the remote replicas. Is there a step by step guide to joining a PC to a remote domain. The servers will be running Win 2008 Standard. TIA -- ats@work Every year is the same And ...

SMTP relay
Hi. There is a small network (10 computers). Everyone uses Outlook Express and want to keep it that way. I need to find out some way to get input and output archive of all incoming/outgoing messages. I configured a Outlook Express input filter to forward every incoming message to the in-archive@nomatterwhere mailbox. I cant get a simple way to to the same to outgoing mail. I suppose I could install in one of the computers a SMTP relay. Then I could configure all Outlook Express clients to deliver mail to that machine (fixed internal IP or whatever). Then I could configure SMTP relay to ...

Open Relay #8
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help? i have disabled relaying in exchaneg and run a test on abuse.net with the results below (i have replaced our mail servers ip address with 000.000.000.000, our server name with SERVER-NAME-REMOVED and our domain name with OURDOMAIN.net) does anyone have any ideas on why the server is still relaying? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont want any spammers using our server to relay. Many thanks Dan. Mail relay testing Connecting to 000.000.000.000 for anonymous test ... <<< 220 SERVER-NAME-REMOVED Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Versi...

Relay??
I am using exchange 2003. About 1 or 2 e-mails a day come back to my server as being rejected from the other e-mail servers specifying they do not relay for us. About 2-300 e-mails come out of our sever daily. Is this a problem on their end or mine? Our server is using the serverobjects SMTPQMail to send out e-mails. Here is one of the messages: Angela-Marie@PolarCountry.com on 6/29/2004 8:06 AM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <petpages.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <Angela-Marie@PolarCountry.com>... we do not r...

RELAY
just want to inquire about smtp relaying. we dont have any mail server we are just acquiring it from a company that host email and web. any way my question is about this relay. Each email has a limit of 250relays per day. When this is reached we can't send out any email. How does this relay works. Any information about this would be a great help. Thanks Allan Hi Allan You'd be better off posting this to one of the Exchange groups - see http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/community/default.mspx. -- TechieBird http://bwain-dump.blogspot.com "Allan M. Grafil" wrote: ...

Intermittent 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay
Running Exchange 2000 SP3. We have a simple domain, one mail server. We're intermittently experiencing the 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@ourdomain.com rejection message sent from our exchange server when sending to various domains. When we receive this message, we just resend the message 5 minutes later and it goes through ok. Reverse DNS is fine, 90% of the time email delivery is fine. Anything I can check? ...

Non-delivery from 1 domain
Good morning- Am using exchange 2000 service pack 3 w/ pix firewall . I do not have fixup protocol 25 smtp enabled on my pix. I can send to any domain without any NDRs, except when i send to recipients @bellsouth.net. I've sent several emails to users with this domain using my office computer and other exchange servers without a glitch ; however when i send either directly from this exchange server (owa) or even a outlook client - it comes back with the following : The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contac...

Hosting windowless control
I have a windowless control - it has to be windowless because it's not rectangular. I have used it many times in VB applications without problem. Recently I tried to include it in an MFC dialog box and it doesn't work. It appears to be being drawn with a control window. What happens is that MFC blanks the rectangular area of the control site to white before invoking the control's draw function. Debugging through the control (which is ATL), I have discovered that when the host is a VB application it is, indeed, windowless (control's bWndLess member = TRUE) but when hosted fr...

Outlook
I just switched to Outlook 2002 from Outlook Express. Everything seems fine but I keep getting a screen to sign on to the network (DSL)every couple of seconds. It makes Outlook too annoying to use. I am sure it is a simple setting to fix but I can't seem to find one to eliminate the problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >I just switched to Outlook 2002 from Outlook Express. >Everything seems fine but I keep getting a screen to sign >on to the network (DSL)every couple of seconds. It makes >Outlook too a...

2nd email domain for all users
I'm running SBS 2003 / Exch 2003 - works well. Our company is going through some changes, one of which will require some of the users to have a second email address with a different domain - call it pop.com. In addtion to this, the email accounts at pop.com are currently controlled outside the company and - at this time - there are 6 users, not in this office who have addresses at pop.com. Currently, just to get things going, my plan is to add pop3 accounts in outlook at each user's pc for their pop.com address. I don't want to do it this way for obvious many reasons. I&...

Open Relay #12
Ok how do you close an open relay.. i have bee through the KB and it talkes about how tot test one but not specificly how to close one. i have in my smtp acesss relay tab all all but list below and authinticate check at the bottom. is the any thing else i have to do.. because im in one of those blacklist and they check me and said i still have an open relay Thank You Can we see their diagnostics? D whitten wrote: > Ok how do you close an open relay.. i have bee through the KB and it talkes > about how tot test one but not specificly how to close one. > i have in my smtp acesss...

Excel lost association with .xls files. Must use Excel open comm
Lately I found that I can't double click on an .xls file to launch Excel and open the file. I have to launch Excel then from within Excel open the .xls file. I went into file types to try and re-establish the association with Excel and .xls files without success... Any suggestions? Neil.Krohn@freescale.com Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows regist...

The connection was dropped by remote host #2
Hello, For certain domains, I get the following error in the queue: "The connection was dropped by remote host". This is on an Exchange 2003sp2. DNS is correct. If I use telnet and SMTP commands to reproduce the problem, I am able to send email to the problematic domains. Thanks for your help. Pierre Pierre <Pierre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >For certain domains, I get the following error in the queue: "The connection >was dropped by remote host". This is on an Exchange 2003sp2. DNS is correct. >If I use telnet and SMTP commands to reproduce ...

Relay Servers?

Moving to another domain
We have a exchange 2000 server on domain xyz.com and wish to move it on to domain zyx.com. What is the best way to do this? The domain that it is currently on will nolonger be used. Cheers Not supported. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812453 On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:55:01 -0700, jastheace <jastheace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have a exchange 2000 server on domain xyz.com and wish to move it on to domain zyx.com. What is the best way to do this? The domain that it is currently on will nolonger be used. > >Cheers Thanks for that. "...

Why am I relaying???
Hi, I have a customer who has a couple of domain names. We have recently installed a new server (2003SBS with Exchange 2003) and configured this to handle his mail. This is working fine for the main domain name he uses, but he is unable to get email sent to his other domain name, even though the DNS and MX record info is set up perfectly. The MX records for each domain point to the same server. When I try to send him a mail to the failing address this is the reply I get from my server: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test - 10:40 ...

You Must Enter A Number In This Cell
I have the respective cells formatted to General and have made sure that the work sheet is unprotected. I have also check for any formulas that might refer to these range of cells--there are none. Each time I attempt to enter the color of the item in this cell, i.e. black, I receive the above message. Please help. Thanks, victor La, could be data validation, click on the cell and then go to data validation and see if there is anything there -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback...

550 Relaying is prohibited
Does anyone know what to do about the error message ""550 Relaying is prohibited"", preventing me from returning e- mails? Thanks You probably just need to turn on authentication to your outgoing server so your ISP knows it's you sending the messages and not a spammer. You can do so on the "Outgoing Server" tab for your mail account. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:022401c3cccb$1af5a740$a101280a@phx.gbl, aern...

XP firewall in domain
Hi from Spain again Excuse my bad Inglish I have a 2003 domain with XP SP2 clients I have several GPO. Some of these GPO copy files in the XP clients without problems When i enable the XP firewall some GPO not work correctly What is the best XP firewall configuration for Domain environment? Thanks for all and excuse again my Inglish Howdie! On 18.06.2010 10:02, ZIDAC wrote: > I have a 2003 domain with XP SP2 clients > > I have several GPO. Some of these GPO copy files in the XP clients without > problems > > When i enable the XP firewall some GPO ...

Allow relaying thru Exchange 2003
My users that use email from home can't respond/send to a message through the Exchange server without getting a relaying prohibited error. Is there any way to fix it so these people can use email from home? Im not sure exactly how to do explain with exchange 2000/2003, but on the SMTP interfaceor connector in the system manager, there should be something similar to relay restriction in the properties... You will need to use authentication for your users, as well as have your users set up thier mail clients to use thier domain credentials to authenticate with. I cant find the MS instru...

Block Relay Access
I work for a small company that uses MS Exchange running on a 2003 SBS server with ISA firewall. We're having a problem with people using our server to send their emails. At any given time, we can take a look at the current sessions and see 5-10 sessions connected. As I said, we're a small company and there is no way that all those emails are originating with us. What we would ideally like to do is force everyone who wants to send an email out from our server to authenticate using their username/password from the Active Directory. I've tried a variety of settings, but n...

Reconnect Exchange 2003 to a rebuild domain
Hi all, There is only 1 2003 DC on the network called Server1 and Exchange 2003 another server called Server2. Due to hardware problem, server1 die and unable to recover from backup. Therefore AD information is lost and a new domain (with the same domain name) need to be setup. Previous user accounts that was in the old box need to be recreated. How should I go about reconnecting Exchange 2003 mailboxes to these accounts and what about public folder?? Do I need to rebuild exchange?? Thanks your help in advance. Mei ...