Test Backup restore from Exchange 2000 to StandbyServer

I would like to perform a full restore (db and mailbox) from my
ExchangeProduction to ExchangeStandbyServer to make sure I become familiar
with new backup software setup recently. I also would like to have an idea
of time it takes to perform that backup and test data integrity often.

Besides my StandbyServer, currently I have just one server available (not
the same hardware used in the Exchange production) that I could use to setup
a lab for the testing. I have no $ for DLT or other servers like DC's I
would need to setup the lab.

Would be possible, viable and safe perform this restore to the StanbyServer
in a live environment ? I mean, my concern is that if I restore the db from
MyExchangeProduction to the StandbyServer I would end up with a duplication
of db, mailboxes, etc and of course that will not be acceptable. If no
workaround is available to do this safely to a standby in production, how
about setting up another forest and restoring the whole thing to the
TestMachine available in the separate forest ?

Please let me know your thoughts.

0
marlon_brown (142)

"Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I would like to perform a full restore (db and mailbox) from my
>ExchangeProduction to ExchangeStandbyServer to make sure I become familiar
>with new backup software setup recently. I also would like to have an idea
>of time it takes to perform that backup and test data integrity often.
>
>Besides my StandbyServer, currently I have just one server available (not
>the same hardware used in the Exchange production) that I could use to setup
>a lab for the testing. I have no $ for DLT or other servers like DC's I
>would need to setup the lab.
>
>Would be possible, viable and safe perform this restore to the StanbyServer
>in a live environment ? I mean, my concern is that if I restore the db from
>MyExchangeProduction to the StandbyServer I would end up with a duplication
>of db, mailboxes, etc and of course that will not be acceptable. If no
>workaround is available to do this safely to a standby in production, how
>about setting up another forest and restoring the whole thing to the
>TestMachine available in the separate forest ?
>
>Please let me know your thoughts.

Don't do the restore onto the production system.
Consider using Virtual PC 2004 or VMware so you can run multiple
systems on one box. put the host box onto the LAN but don't bother
joining it to the domain. Do a backup of both the systems states from
both a DC/GC and Exchange systems using ntbackup to  files and store
those files on the vmware host. take it off the production network and
then build the systems on the vmware.
It will cost you the price of a copy of vmware/vpc and perhaps a
little extra ram, certainly not as much as a spare DLT.

Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org
mark7219 (5666)
2/2/2004 9:02:15 PM
Thanks.
In my case I would like to test the Commvault backup software restore
process. It seems that the only way in my case will be really setting up
Commvault backup software then in the testing box. I will find out how to
save the backups to disk instead of tapes...

> "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I would like to perform a full restore (db and mailbox) from my
> >ExchangeProduction to ExchangeStandbyServer to make sure I become
familiar
> >with new backup software setup recently. I also would like to have an
idea
> >of time it takes to perform that backup and test data integrity often.
> >
> >Besides my StandbyServer, currently I have just one server available (not
> >the same hardware used in the Exchange production) that I could use to
setup
> >a lab for the testing. I have no $ for DLT or other servers like DC's I
> >would need to setup the lab.
> >
> >Would be possible, viable and safe perform this restore to the
StanbyServer
> >in a live environment ? I mean, my concern is that if I restore the db
from
> >MyExchangeProduction to the StandbyServer I would end up with a
duplication
> >of db, mailboxes, etc and of course that will not be acceptable. If no
> >workaround is available to do this safely to a standby in production, how
> >about setting up another forest and restoring the whole thing to the
> >TestMachine available in the separate forest ?
> >
> >Please let me know your thoughts.
> >
> Don't do the restore onto the production system.
> Consider using Virtual PC 2004 or VMware so you can run multiple
> systems on one box. put the host box onto the LAN but don't bother
> joining it to the domain. Do a backup of both the systems states from
> both a DC/GC and Exchange systems using ntbackup to  files and store
> those files on the vmware host. take it off the production network and
> then build the systems on the vmware.
> It will cost you the price of a copy of vmware/vpc and perhaps a
> little extra ram, certainly not as much as a spare DLT.
>

> Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org
> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
> http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm

ANOVA procedures and t-test equal variance
In looking through Excel I see that it has both the ANOVA procedure and a t-test with equal variances and a t-test for unequal variances. One of the assumptions that is made in both the "standard t test" and ANOVA is that the variances are equal. Yet, Excel seems to have no test for homoscedasicity (oh what a cool word). How do you know these procedures are ok to use if you have not checked the assumption of equal variances? Noosa - > In looking through Excel I see that it has both the ANOVA procedure and a > t-test with equal variances and a t-test for unequal vari...

Cached Exchange Mode and "reply to All"????
I've just done a new install of outlook and have a strange behaviour. In cached exchange mode I can't do a "reply to all" while disconnected. If I attempt to do this outlook throws me an error saying that I need to be online to be able to do this. If I do just a reply then it works fine. If I go to file ->work offline I can do a reply to all..... this is extremely annoying and I've spent hours looking at it any help would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

test of wizard
-- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=f61980a5-9a9d-4399-8044-95f7dc1810...

Exchange 2000 media part numbers
Please help! we have a open license for Exchange 2000 Standard Edition. Until now we only had 5.5 installed but we want to bring the server up to 2000. I need to order the media but I can't seem to find which of the following Microsoft media part numbers I need to order: 312-01977, 312-02469, 312-01320. I tried searching these part numbers on the Microsoft website with no results and the Exchange server web pages don't seem to have part numbers shown. Thanks for your help, Mike Lawson Call a local VAR. You dont want 2000 anyway. 2003 is the ticket! On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:53:49 G...

Hit testing
I'm trying to implement client area hit testing in a MDI application. In my document, I have a list of graphic objects (e.g. polygons) that are displayed in the view. The list can get pretty long, so the hit test algorithm needs to be fairly efficient. My first attempt at this was to add HitTest(CPoint) function to the graphic object class. In this function I created a Region and then tested it. Something like... int CPolygon::HitTest(CPoint Point) { CRgn Rgn; Rgn.CreatePolygonRgn(PointList.GetData(), PointList.GetSize(), WINDING); if (Rgn.PtInRegion(Point)) ...

Removing last Exchange
Hi, I am following KB articles 284148 and 288150 in order to remove my last 5.5 server from an Exchange 2000 organization. I actioned KB 288150 several weeks ago and now I am want to actually remove the 5.5 server but I am a little concerned when I see the Details of the Replication status as the following: EFORMS REGISTRY -> Organization Forms Exchange Replication Status= In Synch IAMNT Replication Status= In Synch OFFILINE ADDRESS BOOK -> EX:/o=ORG/OU=Site Exchange Replication Status= In Synch IAMNT Replication Status= In Synch -> OAB Version 2 Exchange Replication Status= ...

ignore -- testing
Haven't seen a posting in several NGs since 6/25. Just curious if GG is updating these NGs. I'm using the "old" user interface. Can't find these NGs using the new GG "experience". just testing "joeu2004" <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:812e733c-2d95-4174-8a3d-d08ecc672145@e17g2000prj.googlegroups.com... Haven't seen a posting in several NGs since 6/25. Just curious if GG is updating these NGs. I'm using the "old" user interface. Can't find these NGs using the new GG "experience". testing a...

Pub 2000: Max zoom in large paper sizes
Hi All: In Publisher 2000 SP-3: I have a banner publication, about 200mm by about 1000 mm that I print by tiling onto A4 sheets. I have a few questions: 1) Is the maximum size of this banner determined by my printer, or by Publisher? 2) I notice that when I extend it somewhat beyond the 1000 mm length, that the maximum I can zoom in is 100%. Is there a way around this? Can a later vsn of Publisher zoom in more? The banner may be extended to 1500 mm or more in future, and I would like to be able to zoom in more. 3) I understand that later vsns can work with compressed jpegs. The banner has...

Backup stradegy
What is the best way of making backup? Do I have to make whole store or I can just backup mailboxes? If I don't make backup of whole store my logs will never be flashed and deleted items cache will never be cleaned during every maintenance. If I don't make backup of mailboxes I will not be able to restore one box only or one message only. I will have to restore whole store instead. Making backup of store and mailboxes doesn't make any since for me, it talked twice more space and time. So what is the best strategy? ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-S...

Exchange Snap-in
Hi All, I was wondering if there was a way to enable the Exchange 2000 server snap-in for MMC on a Windows 2000 Professional workstation. If so, how would I go about doing this? Thanks Vu One of the prerequisites is the Microsoft Windows 2000 Adminpak, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261177 Also see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289835 As long as you meet the prerequisites you should be able install Exchange System Manager on a Windows 2000 Professional box. Paul Ford Edge IT Ltd "Nu2Exchange" <Nu2Exchange@discussions...

Moving Gmail Acct to Outlook? Passes Test but won't work Why/Fix?
I have followed the directions on the gmail page on moving my acct to outlook. It passes the test and yet does not work. What gives? How do I fix? Is this some weirdness between google and microsoft. Any suggestions? Help! Could you be a little more specific? What doesn't work? Does it send? Doesn't receive? Do you get any error messages? What version of Outlook? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct r...

Testing an Exchange backup
Hello everyone I have been backing up my Exchange database (SBS 2003) using an online backup with the NTBackup utility, and everything appears to be working fine: backup files created in the right place at the right time, and a log file saying that the backup was successful. However, I would like to make sure that the backup has worked by using it to restore data. My problem is I want to be absolutely sure that if everything goes wrong and I can't restore, that I won't lose any data. I wonder whether the following plan would work? 1. Dismount my databases. 2. Rename my priv1.e...

Tests?
Why do so many individuals need to jump on someone who posts a test? A higher percentage than Ivory soap put a clear indicator in the Subject line it's a test message. Seems the least educated of us all could identify this to make the decision to go right on by, it's a test. But what happens is a deluge of messages are sent to criticize the individual who is trying to solve a problem. And many of the criticisms are "not on topic" (like the ng they're in has "and criticism" as part of the ng title. But what is allowed is the use of vomit vocabulary! Certainly...

Create a email list......outlook or exchange?
This is an odd questions...I think. Is there a way to use exchange to send mass emails to say 1000 users from an excel spreadsheet or an access database or do you have to use a 3rd party application to do so. All the recipients are voluntary and have asked to be emailed. There should be no complaints. Thanks, CB On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:29:01 -0700, "CB" <CB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >This is an odd questions...I think. >Is there a way to use exchange to send mass emails to say 1000 users from an >excel spreadsheet or an access database or do you have to...

Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server
Hi I have the problem in Outlook with this dialog box saying "Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server <sever name>" The clients have Win XP with Office XP (Outlook 2002 v 10.4712.4219 SP2). Exchange server is Exchange 2000 SP3. When I rollback to Outlook 2000 everything works fine. The exchange server who outlook is retrieving data from is the same server as the users has there mailboxes on. I have checked a large number of Kb articles without solving this issue. How can I solve this big issue? Please HELP //Regards Lars ...

Exchange POP3 email logins
Hi, I am maintaining at Exchange 2000 pop3 server. All of the users are able to login just fine except one. This all started happening about a week ago. When i test the login via telnet, here is what i get: c:\> telnet mail.networkscr.com 110 Trying 64.109.180.59... Connected to adsl-64-109-180-59.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net. Escape character is '^]'. +OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.6556.4 (networks_1.corp.nwcr) ready. user mkaseeska +OK pass <password> -ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. When connecting via outlook or outlook express, ...

Attributes in Exchange
How do you replace attributes for users who have mailboxes but the attributes are missing? "AJ" <ajohnso9@jcpenney.com> wrote: >How do you replace attributes for users who have mailboxes but the >attributes are missing? What attributes are missing? -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Outlook 2000 Constructs HTML emails but sends out plain text
Hi, I have my VFP application which constructs HTMl email to be sent out using Outlook. The problem I am having is When my application constructs email, it is HTML format but when I click send and it is put in outboox, the format changes to plain text. Now this problem is happening only with one particular computer. The OS is WIN XP with Outlook 2000. I have tested on other computer with Windows 2000 and Office 2000 and there are no problems. Also when using with WIN XP and OFFICE 2003 there is no problem and the email are sent out in HTML. Only when I try to send the emails from this one co...

development/test server
Hi Can we development/test server with its own database ..and at the same time have a production server with its database which host the real data... Also is it possible to export customisation to the production server from development/test server..will there be any kind of conflicts i have to keep in mind... please help.. Thanks I setup a CRM test envionment using the Adventure Works Cycle database. This is where we made all customizations, which were somewhat extensive. When I exported the customizations from the test environment and imported them to our production server e...

"Not enough memory" in Office 2000 Assistant Gallery.
I've installed Publisher 2000 on my new Vista system, with 1Gig of RAM, and I want to run Links the Cat as my Office Assistant. But when I click on Options, then Gallery, I get the message: "There is not enough memory available to complete this operation." Obviously this isn't true. Any suggestions about how I can deal wlith this problem? There maybe issues with Publisher 2000 and Vista. You receive a "Not enough memory to load graphics or embedded objects" error message when you open a Publisher publication http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262855/en-us You r...

Fax Software in Exchange
Is there a fax software package either by Microsoft or a 3rd party that will allow incoming faxes to be sent to users mailboxes? Sure. There are a number of them. But will probably need something like DID lines to route correctly. GFI FaxMaker, FacSys, RightFax, etc. -- Martin Blackstone MVP - Exchange http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm "George" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28D78D6F-00BB-458F-AC6F-C5D944CF5EE2@microsoft.com... > Is there a fax software package either by Microsoft or ...

Unable t open 2003 pst file in outlook 2000
What I have - outlook 2000 - outlook 2003 pst file What I don't have - outlook 2003 (I used the microsoft demo, until it expired) When I open the 2003 file I get "Properties for this informatio service must be defined first." Any suggesgtions ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com i think you will find that outlook 2003 pst files are in unicode whereas Outlook 2000 uses a different format. I'm sure you will nee Outlook 2003 to open a PST fil...

Test
Sorry for wasting bandwidth here... think I'm having problems sending to the forums. We'll see if this gets through -- Merv Porter [SBS-MVP] ============================ ...

Event ID: 1182 on Retail Edition of Exchange?!
I installed the trial of exchange on our server around Feb. and purchased the retail version a week after that. I followed the instructions for upgrading a trial installation to a retail installation. This morning I was notified that the Exchange server was down. The error log reads: Event ID: 1182 Thank you for your participation in the Microsoft Exchange Server beta program. Your license to use this beta version of the Microsoft Exchange Server software has expired. Contact Microsoft Corporation. This was followed by these errors over and over: Event ID: 9175 The MAPI call '...

Remove Exchange 2000 from organization, whilst keeping Exchange 2003
We have an Exchange 2000 server (SP3 running on Windows 2000 SP4), which was the first Exchange server in the organization. Originally it had AD installed on it. We have since installed a 2 node a/p Exchange 2003 cluster (SP1 running on Windows 2003 SP1. No AD running on the cluster), and migrated our users across to it. AD has been removed from the Exchange 2000 server Our AD domain functional level is Windows 2000 mixed We would like to decommission the Exchange 2000 server. Are there any gotcha�s that we should be aware of, due to it being the first Exchange server in the organization? Wh...