System Folders: Schema and schema-root

Hi,

I have migrated from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 (native Win 2000
AD-domain).

Comparing PF -> System Folders with a clean Exchange 2003 Installation
(native Win 2003 AD) I notice some differences in the System Folders;

On the clean Exchange 2003:
No 'Schema' system folder

  I renamed the Schema folder on the migrated servers and so far
  no problems. Is this folder still of any use in a Exchange
  2003 environment?

On the clean Exchange 2003:
No 'schema-root\microsof\exchangeV1\exchweb and further.

 Because of earlier problems (There were 2 schema-root folders)
 I renamed the older one and used the newer (without exchweb etc.)
 as the 'schema-root' folder. Again no problems arose. Did the
 'exchweb' belong to the older Exchange 2000 environment and
 can safely be erased?

Does anyone know If I made the right decisions? or any comments
on this?

Best regards,
Arian van der Pijl

0
grimson (26)

Hi Arian,

I noticed that you have posted several similar questions about the system
folders in our Exchange newsgroups.

Actually, we always do not recommend manually modify the system folders as
they are maintained by Exchanges server automatically. So if you server is
working fine now, you do not need to delete these folders manually and this
attempt may cause many potential issues.

Some of the system folders are created when the first time it is used. So
on a fresh installed Exchange 2003 server, you may not see as the same
folders as what on a migrated Exchange 2003. These additional system
folders are replicated from the old Exchange 2000, which are always useful
to the current org environment. Though sometime you will find duplicate
system folders, Exchange could still distinguish from them by using his
unique GUID, so the duplicate folder does no harm to your server and you do
not need to remove them.

If you still prefer to have a fresh system folders environment on the
Exchange 2003 migrated from Exchange 2000, I suggest you rebuild the system
folders. To do so, please refer to:

822444 How To Reset a Site Folder in Exchange Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822444

Caution: All the previous data saved in system folders, including Offline
Address Books, Free/Busy schedules, event sinks, organizational forms etc
will be lost if you reset the system folders.

Hope the information helps.

Regards,

Pat Cai
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada. This and
other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

v-patcai (151)
3/16/2005 10:05:12 AM
Hi Pat!

Thanks for replying

> Actually, we always do not recommend manually modify the system
folders as
> they are maintained by Exchanges server automatically. So if you
server is
> working fine now, you do not need to delete these folders manually
and this
> attempt may cause many potential issues.

Yes,
I am aware of potential problems these actions can give. I use extreme
caution when modifying Exchange but when installing a new Exchange
server within a administrative group I bumped into this problem that
only could be solved by modifying some system folders;

I got the following error when I added a new server (on new server
only);
Source: EXOLEDB
Event ID: 112

Microsoft Exchange OLEDB was unable to register OnSyncSave event for
Schema
propagation on MDB startup HRESULT = 0x8000ffff

The only information I could find on the Internet was that there were 2
'schema-root' folders and you should have only one(?). This was true
for my environment.

One 'schema-root' folder was added from the new Exchange installation.
The other 'schema-root' folder was the existing 'schema-root' folder
(originally created by the first Exchange 2000 server installation I
guess).

So I had 2 folders and one server with a error. My thoughts were, all
servers are Exchange 2003, to rename the old (Exchange
2000)'schema-root' folder and begin to use the newer 'schema-root'
folder. I replicated this folder to all servers and this approach
worked and still works now. The OLEDB error was also gone.

Therefore my interest was awakened for these obscure system folders
;-).

> Some of the system folders are created when the first time it is
used. So
> on a fresh installed Exchange 2003 server, you may not see as the
same
> folders as what on a migrated Exchange 2003. These additional system
> folders are replicated from the old Exchange 2000, which are always
useful
> to the current org environment. Though sometime you will find
duplicate
> system folders, Exchange could still distinguish from them by using
his
> unique GUID, so the duplicate folder does no harm to your server and
you do
> not need to remove them.

What do you exactly mean by 'duplicate system folders'? For example:
there should only be one 'schema-root' in the 'system folders' does it?
I am aware now that there can be multiple StoreEvents{GUID} etc. but
folders without a {GUID} should be unique??

Does exchange explicitly look for the folder name? A name for example
like '\schema-root'. I renamed the old '\schema-root' to
'\_____schema-root'.
So I can delete the old '\_____schema-root' if Exchange explicitly
looks at the folder name?

There is also a '\Schema' folder which does not show up at a fresh
Exchange 2003 installation. Is this also a Exchange 2000 folder that
can be deleted? (I renamed it already)

> If you still prefer to have a fresh system folders environment on the

> Exchange 2003 migrated from Exchange 2000, I suggest you rebuild the
system
> folders. To do so, please refer to:
>
> 822444 How To Reset a Site Folder in Exchange Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822444
>
> Caution: All the previous data saved in system folders, including
Offline
> Address Books, Free/Busy schedules, event sinks, organizational forms
etc
> will be lost if you reset the system folders.

Fortunately there is no need for this anymore. I read the article
before but was worried that also the 'Public Folders' itself would be
affected. So only the 'System Folders' will be reset.

> Hope the information helps.
Again any reply helps !
Thanks for letting me understand these issues!

Best regards,
Arian van der Pijl

0
grimson (26)
3/16/2005 2:21:14 PM
Hi Arian,

I suspect the duplicate "Schema-Root" folder is not the root cause of the
problem you encountered, and it's also one of the symptoms. We once find 4
"Schema-Root" folders in system folder while it did not cause any problem
on that server. And based on my experience, that problem may be caused by
the corrupted public store. Actually, we have handled a similar problem
before and solve it by defragging public store.

Each folder in Exchange holds a GUID (a sort of HEX code), which is a
hidden MAPI attribute. Meanwhile, as we can populate E-mail address on a
public folder, so it is also an AD object and has a Distribution Name (DN),
this is related to the folder name. So both the GUID and folder name are
used to look for the public folder by different protocols.

Regards,

Pat Cai
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada. This and
other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

v-patcai (151)

I lost my personal folders!
I recently did a Detect & Repair funtion in Outlook which returned my program to its original format. In the process I lost all of my saved emails. Any idea where they are? >-----Original Message----- >I recently did a Detect & Repair funtion in Outlook which >returned my program to its original format. In the >process I lost all of my saved emails. > >Any idea where they are? >. >Search your hard drive for files with a .pst extension, probably archive.pst...if it's there, import it back into Outlook. NEVER import a .pst file. Use File->Open-&...

"Folder Visible" Question (Exchange 2000)
Is there a way to set mailbox permissions from the exchange server (like editor, publisher etc...) specifically I am looking to set the "folder visible" option. I am trying to avoid going to every user in the company and doing this, so I am hoping I can do it while sitting at the exchange server. ...

How to lock and unlock the XP system from remote system.
Hi I am writting a program to lock and unlock the remote desptop.For this I need some help related to sending Ctrl+Alt+Del to the remote PC.Can any one help me on the issue. Regards Prashant Sharma Yes. Find something else to do with your time. You keep trying to do something that any decent security system forbids. There is already remote access. See if you can find APIs relating to remote access. But I suspect that you will discover that Windows security is going to make this task impossible. joe On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:19:31 +0530, "ISDC" <satish7684@hotmail.com&...

CRM Email to Drafts folder
When an email is created or promoted to CRM Email, when sent the message goes to the drafts folder in Outlook. The message is actually sent, but never apears in the Sent Itmes folder. Is this a configuration problem or a bug? Thanks, Mark All emails that sent via CRM Email in Outlook goes via the similar channel as the MSCRM Web Client. So we will not see it in the Sent Items. Not all CRM Email goes to the draft folder, usually when there is a file attachment does this happen - again similar to MSCRM Web Client that you have to save in order to attach file. Frank Workopia, Inc. www....

How to impersonate to Local System Account (SYSTEM)
My service is configurated as the Administrators acount. I need to impersonate the service to Local System Account (SYSTEM) in some circumtances. How? Thanks very very much indeed lauch ...

Search and copy files. Look up destination folder in a range
I need help in doing this: I have an excel worsheet that have columns for destination folder and corresponding file to search for. The files to be search for will have wild cards e.g *total*.*. What I want to do is create a macro that will search for call values in a range, copy the result of the search to the corresponding destination folder for example column A(files to search for) column(Destination folder) column c (source always c:\documents) *total*.* total_cost c:\documents *accounts*.* ...

Contacts folder could not be displayed
Here's what I do to re-create the error. I create a new message, then click on the 'To:' button. Then this error pops up. 'The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address Book, see Microsoft Office Outlook Help.' However, the contacts are present in my contact address book. It's just I cannot select them from the "To" button. I've tried the h...

Best Method for importing Account/Contacts into CRM currently store as Contacts in Exchange Public Folders
Hi all, I am looking at CRM 3 to update our simple CRM solution that was based on custom contact forms stored in Exchange folders. We have two Exchange contacts folders storing this info - one stores the Company (Account) and the other will store the Contact. Both use custom forms and are linked simply by a number generated and placed into the "Account" field for the Company and copied to the same field on the Contact form. We then had an ActiveX list control that would display the relevant contact for a Company in its form. I have not used Outlook BCM, but I feel "two ...

ApI for adding/removing user from folder of win2000 server
Hi, I am implementing the VB application to grant user privilege (add or remove read/write) from the client PC to the server for the security purpose. To do this , I use active driectory OCX, and create a group to add or remove the specific user to access the folder on server. One problem is after adding or removing the user into the group, it can't be updated right a way although I used GPupdate function (group policy update). The client system should log off and log in to affect the changes. My question is 1. Is there any function call doing same as log-out and log-in without...

Integration with legacy systems
Hello there. 've seen there is an integration between Microsoft CRM and MS Great Plains. I need to do a similar integration beetween Microsoft CRM and a local System ERP named Diapason. The customer shoul be created by MS CRM. passed to the ERP. Updated tin the ERP and then updated automatically in the MS CRM. Order born in CRM. When approved, tehy should send to the ERP. The ERP create the invoice and send the invoice to MS CRM. Price list is managed by the ERP, imported in MS CRM and when updated in ERO, should be updated automatically in CRM. Customer are updated in ERP and shou...

Trust access to visual basic project in XP systems
we have 2000 OS in some system and XP in some system .Excel in XP system not have checkbox (Trust access to visual Basic Project) for macros . Because of the this i think vb exe which is try to run excel macro are failing. can any one hlep me. This is a setting that each user must change. So I think you'll have to educate the users to change this setting before your VB program can run. kasi wrote: > > we have 2000 OS in some system and XP in some system .Excel in XP system not > have checkbox (Trust access to visual Basic Project) for macros . > Because of the this i...

excel causing system to be in low system resource
Hi all. Whenever i open my excel application, i am always prompted low system resource and have to exit the application. However all my other office applications like word, access work fine when i open them. I face similar problems before and i reinstall excel to solve the problem. Is there a better solution which can solve this problem once and for all? Thks in advance ...

can all the dowloads ihave in the system can they be moved
Iwant to take all downloads that have failed and all downloads that have errors with them Where would you like to take them? Buckingham Palace? "steve.vickers2010@live.co.uk" <steve.vickers2010@live.co.uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:208855E4-BD3F-4C3D-A817-C0DC8CB6BCF9@microsoft.com... : Iwant to take all downloads that have failed and all downloads that have : errors with them Windows version is...? If you want to delete what you see in Update History, I can tell you how to do that. steve.vickers2010@live.co.uk wrote: > I...

Open Other peoples mail folder
Hello, How can I open Other people's folder in Outlook 2003 other than what is available on the drop down? The drop down only offers Inbox, Calendar, Task, etc. I want to open Deleted items, Sent items. I want to see what users are keeping in there why their storage size is very large. Thanks in advance. On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 09:47:04 -0600, "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote: >Hello, > >How can I open Other people's folder in Outlook >2003 other than what is available on the drop down? >The drop down only offers Inbox, Calendar, Task, etc. >I...

Schema defined fixed attributes in instance document
Let's say I have an XML Schema containing some fixed attributes. When writing an instance document (XML document) based on this schema I don't want to explicitly add these attributes, but when I load the instance document I want these attributes to be available. Is this possible using any of the .NET Framework XML related classes or is this kind of behavior not supported by the .NET Framework? I've tried using the Load method on XmlDocument and also tried using the XmlReader, but with no success. maze_dk wrote: > Let's say I have an XML Schema containing s...

Large Public Folder
I have a situation with a public folder database that is too large, around 50 GB Is there a tool that can telle me what items that is filling up the public folder database? Online defrag is running every night and I see event ID 1221 in the application log: " the database.....has 3611 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation..." I could use eseutil to defrag the database offline, but the server is used all the time and I need som profh that the database really will shrink if I use eseutil So I need some way to figure out if it really is 50 GB off data in the publi...

Cranky folders on external hard drive
I believe this problem is related to Windows (or my fingers), not to anything inherent in the external HD mentioned below. Hopefully, this is the correct group for this question: I have two computers running Windows XP Pro w/SP3, and a Seagate external HD which normally resides on the desktop machine. Beginning a month ago, I needed to work remotely, so I'd copy a couple of data folders from desktop to the external HD, and then plug that into the laptop to transfer the files. This worked for 3 weeks.* But this past weekend, I used the laptop to create a new folder on the external...

Total Communications System & MS CRM 3.0
To Anyone: I am trying to find a complete "converged communications" system that has complete integration with MS CRM 3.0 as well as an open API that I can further integrate into my business applications. I am finding a lot of sales pitches but no hard facts and confirmed installs. Can anyone point me ? Anthony DeHart try www.genesyslabs.com ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D009397A-044A-482E-97F8-D2BADC9A6A15@microsoft.co...

Synching Outlook Folders for use on Multiple machines
Hi Does anybody know if it's possible and if so how, to make my Outlook folders available on two machines either by updating live over a network or by synchronizing? I was wondering if there was any third party software available to do this or if anyone knew some clever way of sharing the .pst files? Thanks See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:2a5a...

Public folder rule
Is there a way to create rules for a folder-assigned e-mail box? Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 I have a public folder to which an e-mail address is assigned. Inbound orders arrive in this box and are processed throughout the day by staff. Management has asked me to provide an auto-response to confirm receipt of mail arriving in this public folder. It can be very simple--something like this: "Your order has been received." That is, I do not need to provide any logic referring to the content of the e-mail; a simple RE: will do. Since this address/mailbox is not user-base...

Done DOCs not showing in Completed folder
On the routing slip in Sharepoint V2- I'm marking completed documents as 'done' on the routing slips but those documents aren't showing in my completed folder. Any help regarding this dillema will be greatly appreciated. Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Brief Review of Generic Collection Classes http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/91ebf47b-fd8d-4bc9-a715-40421048a450/a-brief-review-of-generic.aspx ...

File system
Hi I am havimg some problem in booting WindowCE 4.2 . The bootup failed in filesystem 1. can anyone help me how to debug the error or where area in windowce I should zoom into for susch problem The ouput of error message is given below FMD::FMD_Init FMD_ReadSector() ######## BLOCK 10 FMD_ReadSector() ######## BLOCK 10 Data Abort: Thread=8feec5d0 Proc=8e028b58 'filesys.exe' AKY=ffffffff PC=8c233c78 RA=8c233c00 BVA=04000000 FSR=00000007 Data Abort: Thread=8feec5d0 Proc=8e028b58 'filesys.exe' AKY=ffffffff PC=8c2169d8 RA=8c216a38 BVA=04000019 FSR=00000003 D...

using access as a content management system for documents
Hello got a question for you all, I am using access to create a content management solution. initially it seems pretty easy i would create a table for each type of document template. and the fields in the table would be the different sections within the template. the data in the fields would be the content this goes with those specific sections in the document. basically i would have a report that puts all the fields together in the correct order and export that to a word document. here is my problem.. some of my data includes bullet points Bold letter and different colors.. is there anyw...

new mail desktop alert for custom folder
Hi all, I created a new folder in my Mailbox. It's possible to activate new mail desktop alert mfor this folder? How can i do that? Thank you! -- wasssu "wasssu" <wasssu.64a858b@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:wasssu.64a858b@outlookbanter.com... > I created a new folder in my Mailbox. It's possible to activate new > mail desktop alert mfor this folder? How can i do that? New message alerts work automatically only for your default folders. If you create a rule that moves incoming messages to your new folder, the rule can ...

Import Requisitions Into System For Approval
We have a database of registrants for different events and were hoping it was possible to import certain hotel and other expenditure requests into the requisition system for approval. Is there a way to import this data instead of manually create a requisition in the system, and then to route it for approval. Thanks for your help. Graham ...