Stuck with Exchange 2007 - Where are all the EMS commands documented

My client insists that I role out Exchange 2007 by the end of April.   I
would have to say Exchange 2007 is the most half assed attempt MS has ever
made of releasing a product.   It is at best in beta stage as far as I can
see.   I've read that all the stuff that 2003 did should be released by SP1
but that is a long ways off.   I don't know any of the esoteric EMS script
commandlets sniglets which are completely required to administer an Exchange
2007 server.   I realize with SP1 that all that should be back in the EMC
like it was in 2000, 2003 but my client won't wait.   Can someone take pity
and tell me where all that stuff is really documented?   I see a lot of MS
pages telling you about the POWER of EMS- another way of calling a bug a
feature - yeah, we were too lazy to enable it in the EMC so learn the crazy
commands.   I can't believe they didn't at least make batch files that
prompted you for variables so you were at least sure to get the scripting
right.

Thanks for your help.

PS.  Balmer you blow chunks - Bill wasn't perfect but he'd have fired half
the people responsible for this slip up - you probably congratulated them
and moved them into another winning product department like Zune.

0
boe_d1 (44)

Most of it is in the online docs within the product (which is mostly
identical to docs on microsoft.com).

Exchange Server 2007 Technical Reference | Exchange Management Shell:

Also, most of the other HOW-TOs throughout other parts of the documentation
illustrate plenty of shell stuff.
Finally, there's good amount of help built-in in the commandlets
themselves - use the get-help CommandName with the -detail or -full option -
lot of it identical to online docs, and in some cases perhaps more detail
than the docs.

Other things to look at: Exchange team blog (msexchangeteam.com), Vivek
Sharma & Evan Dodds' blogs, amongst others on the web. (Helpful tips and
stuff that you may or may not find easily in the docs).

Yes, the product should've shipped with more management GUI in the console
(particularly for beginners/folks who don't need the automation that the
shell provides - particularly in small business space) , and I'm glad most
of that will make it in SP1.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My client insists that I role out Exchange 2007 by the end of April.   I
> would have to say Exchange 2007 is the most half assed attempt MS has ever
> made of releasing a product.   It is at best in beta stage as far as I can
> see.   I've read that all the stuff that 2003 did should be released by
> SP1 but that is a long ways off.   I don't know any of the esoteric EMS
> script commandlets sniglets which are completely required to administer an
> Exchange 2007 server.   I realize with SP1 that all that should be back in
> the EMC like it was in 2000, 2003 but my client won't wait.   Can someone
> take pity and tell me where all that stuff is really documented?   I see a
> lot of MS pages telling you about the POWER of EMS- another way of calling
> a bug a feature - yeah, we were too lazy to enable it in the EMC so learn
> the crazy commands.   I can't believe they didn't at least make batch
> files that prompted you for variables so you were at least sure to get the
> scripting right.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> PS.  Balmer you blow chunks - Bill wasn't perfect but he'd have fired half
> the people responsible for this slip up - you probably congratulated them
> and moved them into another winning product department like Zune.

0
bharat3597 (1006)
3/22/2007 6:11:44 PM
Thanks!  And thanks for letting me vent!   I chose Windows over Unix because
I never wanted to grep or ls or try to remember commands  (granted even in
2003 I still had to ESEUTIL and ISINTEG  - not sure why those weren't GUI as
well) - If I'm going to have to remember a bunch of commands, I might want
to consider a FREE OS with a solid foundation, less security issues, and
infinite upgradability - just a thought Balmer you worthless, Uncle Fester
Wannabe!

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharat@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Most of it is in the online docs within the product (which is mostly
> identical to docs on microsoft.com).
>
> Exchange Server 2007 Technical Reference | Exchange Management Shell:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124413.aspx
>
> Also, most of the other HOW-TOs throughout other parts of the
> documentation illustrate plenty of shell stuff.
> Finally, there's good amount of help built-in in the commandlets
> themselves - use the get-help CommandName with the -detail or -full
> option - lot of it identical to online docs, and in some cases perhaps
> more detail than the docs.
>
> Other things to look at: Exchange team blog (msexchangeteam.com), Vivek
> Sharma & Evan Dodds' blogs, amongst others on the web. (Helpful tips and
> stuff that you may or may not find easily in the docs).
>
> Yes, the product should've shipped with more management GUI in the console
> (particularly for beginners/folks who don't need the automation that the
> shell provides - particularly in small business space) , and I'm glad most
> of that will make it in SP1.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> My client insists that I role out Exchange 2007 by the end of April.   I
>> would have to say Exchange 2007 is the most half assed attempt MS has
>> ever made of releasing a product.   It is at best in beta stage as far as
>> I can see.   I've read that all the stuff that 2003 did should be
>> released by SP1 but that is a long ways off.   I don't know any of the
>> esoteric EMS script commandlets sniglets which are completely required to
>> administer an Exchange 2007 server.   I realize with SP1 that all that
>> should be back in the EMC like it was in 2000, 2003 but my client won't
>> wait.   Can someone take pity and tell me where all that stuff is really
>> documented?   I see a lot of MS pages telling you about the POWER of EMS-
>> another way of calling a bug a feature - yeah, we were too lazy to enable
>> it in the EMC so learn the crazy commands.   I can't believe they didn't
>> at least make batch files that prompted you for variables so you were at
>> least sure to get the scripting right.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

>> PS.  Balmer you blow chunks - Bill wasn't perfect but he'd have fired
>> half the people responsible for this slip up - you probably congratulated
>> them and moved them into another winning product department like Zune.

0
boe_d1 (44)
3/22/2007 6:28:29 PM
> Thanks!  And thanks for letting me vent!   I chose Windows over Unix
> because I never wanted to grep or ls or try to remember commands  (granted
> even in 2003 I still had to ESEUTIL and ISINTEG  - not sure why those
> weren't GUI as well)
================================/

My guess is they're not GUI because they're "last resort" methods of
database maintenance and repair.  We use them more often than we should, but
the possibility of data loss is high enough that MS doesn't want you running
these utils just because your system burped.  Stick a GUI on something and
people will want to use it any time the wind blows. :)

0
grover.joe (95)
3/22/2007 6:33:26 PM
- Agreed as far as powerful utilities with potential for harm are concerned.
- Nevertheless, much in love with the shell as I am, there's a valid point
for folks who are more comfortable with the GUI and therefore naturally
gravitate towards the Windows platform, imo.
- Also suspect many folks will still not feel as comfortable even with all
the GUI in there post-SP1 - the fact is, plenty of stuff has changed, and
there's learning to do, as with any major release and perhaps a tad more in
this case.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Joe Grover" <grover.joe@acd.net> wrote in message

> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks!  And thanks for letting me vent!   I chose Windows over Unix
>> because I never wanted to grep or ls or try to remember commands
>> (granted even in 2003 I still had to ESEUTIL and ISINTEG  - not sure why
>> those weren't GUI as well)
> ================================/
>
> My guess is they're not GUI because they're "last resort" methods of
> database maintenance and repair.  We use them more often than we should,
> but the possibility of data loss is high enough that MS doesn't want you
> running these utils just because your system burped.  Stick a GUI on
> something and people will want to use it any time the wind blows. :)

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
3/22/2007 7:01:10 PM
Thanks - I'm OK with learning things but considering I can't remember what I
had for lunch yesterday, my old phone number, even my license plate, but I
can remember movies and events with no issue, a GUI interface works much
better for me.   Some people can remember numbers, names and obscure
commands others of us can remember a mouse click having only tried it once.
I've been using computers since DOS 5 and Novell 2.x but GUI is a much
easier way for me to remember things.   I was a Novell expert (really - I
swear I was) but I can't remember ANY of the commands I used to use day in
and day out for years, where as I could probably figure out just about
anything in Windows 3.1 that I forgot in seconds.

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>- Agreed as far as powerful utilities with potential for harm are
>concerned.
> - Nevertheless, much in love with the shell as I am, there's a valid point
> for folks who are more comfortable with the GUI and therefore naturally
> gravitate towards the Windows platform, imo.
> - Also suspect many folks will still not feel as comfortable even with all
> the GUI in there post-SP1 - the fact is, plenty of stuff has changed, and
> there's learning to do, as with any major release and perhaps a tad more
> in this case.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> "Joe Grover" <grover.joe@acd.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks!  And thanks for letting me vent!   I chose Windows over Unix
>>> because I never wanted to grep or ls or try to remember commands
>>> (granted even in 2003 I still had to ESEUTIL and ISINTEG  - not sure why
>>> those weren't GUI as well)
>> ================================/
>>
>> My guess is they're not GUI because they're "last resort" methods of
>> database maintenance and repair.  We use them more often than we should,
>> but the possibility of data loss is high enough that MS doesn't want you
>> running these utils just because your system burped.  Stick a GUI on
>> something and people will want to use it any time the wind blows. :)

0
boe_d1 (44)

CRM / Exchange Server-Side Sync?
Is there an ISV solution for server-side synching CRM contacts/appointments/tasks and hence getting reminders popping from Outlook? In other words, no need to use SFO to synchronize these things Is CRM Version .NEXT slated to provide anything like that? Thanks everyone Peter There is functionality developed by Microsoft that enables synchronization between the MSCRM web client and Exchange 2-way for Appointments, Tasks and Contacts. Microsoft offers a services estimate of 80 hours which includes implementation and initial support. To the best of my knowledge this is not planned f...

Stuck
HI there, Seeing how iam stuck in this area of MSoffice, with no appearant link to other catigories i have to ask my question here concerning MSN explorer. I downloaded explorer 7.02 now i want to uninstall it, yet i cant there is no MSN explorer in my add remove programs, even when i click on show updates. I am running windows xp and there is no folder in widows directory leading me to MSN explorer, as some advice to type comands like : " %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta2$\spuninst\spuninst.exe." to get rid of it, none of it seems to work at all... PAthetic of Microsoft to stoop to ...

I-mail and Exchange 2000
I have Exchange 2000 and an I-Mail server. When I pull an address out of the address book from a Microsoft Outlook 2000 client and send an attachment - the attachment does not go through - but the e-mail does. If I were to type in the full address of the recepient the e-mail will go through along with the attachment. Is there something that I am missing when you pull an address out of an address book? ...

Exchange 2007 Scripts
Hi, I intend to deploy Exchange 2007 in my environment and I would like to know if there is a script for that. In Exchange 2007 can I create a Mailbox? Thanks. Luiz Ciao Luiz, > Hi, > > I intend to deploy Exchange 2007 in my environment and I would like to > know > if there is a script for that. > In Exchange 2007 can I create a Mailbox? look here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/message/exch2007/recip/index.mspx > Thanks. > > Luiz Bye -- Mitch Microsoft� MVP - [Windows Server System - Exchange Server] http://mvp.support.microsoft.com...

Viewing Word 2007 docs in Office XP
Info I have found shows previous versions to be 2000, 2002 and 2003.........having a problem viewing docs in Office XP. Does anyone know if the 'compatability' download will make the fix for XP? Thanks Office XP = Office 2002 -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "awol2vegas" <awol2vegas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E81819E0-355D-49AC-B387-C0386AEC4C40@microsoft.com... > Info I have found shows previous versions...

UK stuck with old version
This is most probably a pointless question, but here goes. I wondered why that in the UK the latest version is money 2005, where as if you live in the USA you can get money 2007. Is there many new things in money 2007 that are not in money 2005? NIK -- Remove nospam for personal reply if responding via newsgroup. I guess that the cost of converting M2007 to work for the UK was a lot greater than any potential sales! :-( See http://money.mvps.org/product/US/2007/Default.aspx for a list of M2007 features. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http:/...

How do I move from page to page in Publisher 2007?
Publisher 2003 showed a view of all pages across the bottom of the publication. How can I tell how many pages are in my publication and how do I get from one page to the other in Publisher 2007? Bobbie wrote: > Publisher 2003 showed a view of all pages across the bottom of the > publication. How can I tell how many pages are in my publication and > how do I get from one page to the other in Publisher 2007? ======================================= If your Status Bar is missing...maybe the following info will be useful: The following solution was posted in the Publisher newsgroup on ...

redemption
Using Outlook 2003 and Redemption 5.0.0.2174 Hi, I am developing an application that archives emails and uses redemption. I have one user in my test group that is continually having problems accessing lists of folders. I wrote my own folder picker code using mapitables but had to abort that as this user could not get the folder picker to load, was really slow. So I reverted to the PickFolder method in Redemption. On first use of the folder picker, all folders display as expected. The user initiates an archiving task and all completes without issue. If the user tries to create another arc...

Exchange and bounce back emails
Hello everyone, I have recently setup an exchange 2003 server. Email seems to be working properly people can send and receive mail. But my client has been driving me nuts. Some users claim that some messages are being bounced back to the originating senders. They are accounts outside of the domain. I am wondering why this is occuring. The ISP is Covad. I'm not sure if there is a pointer record setup on external DNS, but obviously there are MX and A records. Is it possible that Covad is blocking certain domains? Or am I crazy and there is an easy fix to this? Thanks for any he...

Stuck Outbox
I have Vista 64 and periodically I cannot send mail. My antivirus is Trend and I have turned off the e-mail scanning function. Error message is : Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'Jessica's Phone Number?', Account: 'pop6.sympatico.ca', Server: 'smtp1.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F hay alguien de argentina? "Ken McLean" <KenMcLean@discussions.microsoft.com>...

outlook 2007 archive problem
Dear All, I found that I cant archive all the e-mail which base on the time setting, because the archive time is arrcoding to modify time but not send/receive time. I would like to ask can I change the archive time from modify date to send/receive date? Thx a Lot~~~ No can do "er" <er@er.com> wrote in message news:104623E8-E56D-429C-8527-1BABF217305F@microsoft.com... > Dear All, > > I found that I cant archive all the e-mail which base on the time setting, > because the archive time is arrcoding to modify time but not send/receive > time. > I would ...

Money 2007 Crashes with a large number of Stocks
I have a problem that I've been able to narrow down to this: I have an a large number (99) of investments (stocks/bonds/indexes,etc). and Everytime I add the 100th investment, Money crashes. I've tried loading the program on 2 seperate machines with the same results. Faulting application msmoney.exe, version 16.0.0.621, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.42, fault address 0x0000e4da. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Is anyone else expericing this issue? TIA To follow-up, I was able to narrow the issue ...

Exchange Migration from Xchange2K/Win2K to Xchange2K3/W2K3
Hi All, We have Exchange 2000 running on W2K 2000 Server. Now we want to migrate ALL the user accounts including public storages and other folders from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003. The new server (W2K3 w/ Exchange 2K3) has been up and running for a week now. I have migrated a few individual accounts to this new server. No problem, no hiccups. We have over 200 user accounts on Exchange 2000...now we want to do a mass migration to our new server. What kind of tool would i use? Or, how do i do this? I notice that there is a Migration Wizard under START\All Pr...

Tape Stuck in Drive
DPM 2007 refuses to let go of a tape in the drive. If I try to run a “remove tape E/I port” I get following message “Required tape resource is reserved by another task. Wait for the other task to complete, or cancel the ongoing operation. Retry the operation." The problem is that there are no other jobs running. I also tried to reboot the server and tape library but no success. I am able to unload the tape from the drive using the tape drive console but DPM refuse to acknowledge that the tape have been moved out of the drive. We experience exactly this behavior with our DELL...

New exchange forms library not visible....
I have create an new organizational forms library and did set the same rights as the default standard forms library. I did not get any errors and it seems to be the right way. Microsoft discribed it in Q244591 "How ro create an Organizational Forms Library in Exchange". But when i try to publish forms in this library i cannot see it or select it. So is this a bug or whats the problem? Hi, I wouldn't think of a bug yet ;-) What is the topology of the Mail environment --> number of servers + version .... In E2K, you create a EFORM lib, give it the correct MAPI rights (tha...

Data Mining for Office 2007
Im definitely very interested in configuring this feature, but when I start the wizard for configuring SQL Server 2005 for Office 2007 Data Mining Add-ins, the message is unable to connect to localhost. My localhost is active and running, but im not sure which service should be up... I wonder what do I need to make it work????? JPG The services which should be running are: sqlbrowser.exe sqlservr.exe and if you are running a full version of SQL-Server the file SqlWb.exe (which is the Management Studio) might also be running. If it isn't start it and click on Connect, and you will ...

uninstalling Exchange and removing all traces of Exchange AD attri
Hi All, I am having much difficulty with my Exchange installation. This all happened after I installed 2007 and it was not a pleasant experience at all. Now I have multiple administrative groups so I removed the ones I didn't want any more with adsiedit.msc. Now my Exchange 2003 isn't creating mailboxes for users even though it says it successfully completed them. I also cannot send or receive but it's not reporting any errors at all. I am perplexed and think it would just be easiest to nuke the whole thing and start over. I just don't want to have to re-setup my domain...

How do I insert a letter into an existing word document?
I am working on a large document that I need to add several letters that are on our letterhead. If I cut and paste the letter, the letterhead header becomes skewed. This is just one issue I'm having with the document! Also need to know how to merge 3 separate documents together once I insert the letters that I need! Help! What do you mean by "skewed"? To preserve the data from the header of the document, you will need to insert it into a Section of its own separated from the rest of the document by Next page Section breaks before and after it with the headers...

Exchange Email Via Website, How?
At the moment we have an internal email system which means that the student for example, has to go to Internet Explorer and Type "Myemail" and this would bring up their exchange email accoutn via the web browser. Now we want to do this from home, by adding an email section to the school external website, which is managed by us. What would we need to take into accout? and what would i need to do? Many Thanks Lee J On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:35:45 -0700, Lee J <LeeJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >At the moment we have an internal email system which means that the stu...

sostitute exchange 5.5 with exchange 2003
Same mail domain same network i must change an exchange 5.5 with a new server with exchange 2003 Migration wizard can help me? users / public folders / calendar in public folder / can i suppose everyting work correctly? Check the Exchange Deployment Whitepapers at www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads "Miliuccio" <middiuzzo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:chn13q$bv5$1@newsread.albacom.net... > Same mail domain > same network > > i must change an exchange 5.5 with a new server with exchange 2003 > > Migration wizard can help me? > > users / pub...

I am stuck
The numbers represent rounds. So a name will go with a round (number) but some names know more than one round. Name a 1 name b 2 name c 3 name d knows round 1 and 2 name e knows round 2 and 3 Is there an automatic function that would allocate "name d" or "name e" to a round if "name a, b or c" were not available for that day? The table would look like this Name a 1 name b 2 name c 3 name d name e Say for example "name a" was not available how would "name d" get allocated to r...

Can't Search Contacts 2007
Hope someone can help me with this. At some point, my Outlook 2007 - (12.0.6316.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000) - stopped being able to make searches. I'm speaking of the "Instant Search" - which I can access from a little window just above the cards, or from Tools | Instant Search | Instant Search. Weird bits - - The instant search works fine in other parts of Outlook 2007: mail, calendar, etc - Every once in a while, it also works in Contacts, but mostly it doesn't. - It used to work in Contacts, but stopped at some point. Any Help much appreciated. Rebuild the ...

what is exchange sever
im tying install outlook and keep bring up exhange server. what do i need to put there to get to work. If you don't have an Exchange server, why did you select that? Just remove it and install your POP3 or IMAP account - Control Panel->Mail Icon->Accounts. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, jasonmercer asked: | im tying install outlook and keep bring up exhange server. what do i | need to put there to ge...

Making a 100 page document
I have about 100 pages of text saved on the print publication templates (Microsoft Publisher 2003) that I would like to make into a book. They are all individually saved. I have a title page, table of contents, etc. and a specific order I want the pages to go in. I can't figure out how to turn this into one document instead of 100 separate pages. I want to make the pages into a book. Eventually, I would like to post it on my website, or even publish it. I checked into using Adobe but they won't take these files. Thank You. Using something like PrimoPDF it is possible to m...

2 exchange servers
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C3C3AC.593BD330 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Greetings all, We have an exchange 5.5 server at the moment that hosts about 7 domain = names. We are adding an Exchange 2003 server on another domain in = parallel that will host the same domains. How can I have these two share = the same domains? All incoming mail goes to the exchange 5.5 and I want = that server to ship it to the 2003 server. Is this possible?=20 Thanks in advance and happy holidays...