Strange problem #3

We have been experiencing internet outage due to heavy bandwidth utilization
of our E2K3's smtp.  We have noticed that when our internet comes to a crawl,
we stop the smtp server on the E2k3 and the internet instantly speed up.  We
have not discovered a trend or pattern to this problem so as to troubleshoot.
 We have worked with MS support and McAfee support to ensure the security and
integratity of the server.  There are no indication of a security breach or a
third-party issue (McAfee GroupShield and SpamKiller).  We looked at the logs
and queques during this period of time and nothing suggest what the problem
is.  However, we recently encountered an issue with Blackberry users who all
of a sudden were not able to connect to our E2K3 for their mail.  We are not
running BES or a Desktop redirector on our network.  They subcribe to
Blackberry Internet Service which pull mail from our E2K and redirect it to
the Blackberry.  Since the problem, we have not experience any internet
issue.  However, we were able to resolve the Blackberry last Friday only to
discovered that the internet sluggishness came back once the blackberry
problem was resovled.  I do not know if it is a coincident or this may be our
problem.  Has anyone encounter this issue and if so is there a solution.
Again, this is the first time we were able to identify a possible cause but I
am not totally convince that this is it.  Could someone give us tips on how
to proceed with this problem?
0
manoa (53)

You may be experienceing Directory Harvest Attacks, DOS attacks, and general
nastiness from zombie networks.  We had to put a mailgateway in front of our
SMTP servers to drop all of that traffic.  It tends to suck bandwidth, and
the NDR's generated just slow things down even more.

What is the bandwidth on that pipe?  You may need to look at getting more,
and\or filtering out the zombie traffic.

We have had success with the Tumbleweed Mailgate Edge appliance, but if you
are linux\sendmail savvy, you could cobble something together fairly
quickly...

"manoa" <manoa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have been experiencing internet outage due to heavy bandwidth
> utilization
> of our E2K3's smtp.  We have noticed that when our internet comes to a
> crawl,
> we stop the smtp server on the E2k3 and the internet instantly speed up.
> We
> have not discovered a trend or pattern to this problem so as to
> troubleshoot.
> We have worked with MS support and McAfee support to ensure the security
> and
> integratity of the server.  There are no indication of a security breach
> or a
> third-party issue (McAfee GroupShield and SpamKiller).  We looked at the
> logs
> and queques during this period of time and nothing suggest what the
> problem
> is.  However, we recently encountered an issue with Blackberry users who
> all
> of a sudden were not able to connect to our E2K3 for their mail.  We are
> not
> running BES or a Desktop redirector on our network.  They subcribe to
> Blackberry Internet Service which pull mail from our E2K and redirect it
> the Blackberry.  Since the problem, we have not experience any internet
> issue.  However, we were able to resolve the Blackberry last Friday only
> discovered that the internet sluggishness came back once the blackberry
> problem was resovled.  I do not know if it is a coincident or this may be
> our
> problem.  Has anyone encounter this issue and if so is there a solution.
> Again, this is the first time we were able to identify a possible cause
> but I
> am not totally convince that this is it.  Could someone give us tips on
> how
> to proceed with this problem?

0
tfelts (292)
11/7/2005 3:00:54 PM
We have a T1 and the problem happens sporatically so I do not know where to
look to try and pinpopint the issue.  Is there any tool you can suggest to
diagnosis the problem.  We are looking a few appliance in conjunction with a
FE/BE using ISA 2004.

"Tom Felts" wrote:

> You may be experienceing Directory Harvest Attacks, DOS attacks, and general
> nastiness from zombie networks.  We had to put a mailgateway in front of our
> SMTP servers to drop all of that traffic.  It tends to suck bandwidth, and
> the NDR's generated just slow things down even more.
>
> What is the bandwidth on that pipe?  You may need to look at getting more,
> and\or filtering out the zombie traffic.
>
> We have had success with the Tumbleweed Mailgate Edge appliance, but if you
> are linux\sendmail savvy, you could cobble something together fairly
> quickly...
>

> "manoa" <manoa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have been experiencing internet outage due to heavy bandwidth
> > utilization
> > of our E2K3's smtp.  We have noticed that when our internet comes to a
> > crawl,
> > we stop the smtp server on the E2k3 and the internet instantly speed up.
> > We
> > have not discovered a trend or pattern to this problem so as to
> > troubleshoot.
> > We have worked with MS support and McAfee support to ensure the security
> > and
> > integratity of the server.  There are no indication of a security breach
> > or a
> > third-party issue (McAfee GroupShield and SpamKiller).  We looked at the
> > logs
> > and queques during this period of time and nothing suggest what the
> > problem
> > is.  However, we recently encountered an issue with Blackberry users who
> > all
> > of a sudden were not able to connect to our E2K3 for their mail.  We are
> > not
> > running BES or a Desktop redirector on our network.  They subcribe to
> > Blackberry Internet Service which pull mail from our E2K and redirect it
> > the Blackberry.  Since the problem, we have not experience any internet
> > issue.  However, we were able to resolve the Blackberry last Friday only
> > discovered that the internet sluggishness came back once the blackberry
> > problem was resovled.  I do not know if it is a coincident or this may be
> > our
> > problem.  Has anyone encounter this issue and if so is there a solution.
> > Again, this is the first time we were able to identify a possible cause
> > but I
> > am not totally convince that this is it.  Could someone give us tips on
> > how
> > to proceed with this problem?

0
manoa (53)
11/7/2005 3:19:07 PM
Usually you can get utilization reports from your ISP as to bandwidth
utilization...that is the first thing I would look at.
If your ISP doesn't provide such, then there is MRTG, which you can install
and configure to watch bandwidth...

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

> [...]
>> > running BES or a Desktop redirector on our network.  They subcribe to
>> > Blackberry Internet Service which pull mail from our E2K and redirect
>> > it
>> > the Blackberry.  Since the problem, we have not experience any internet
>> > issue.  However, we were able to resolve the Blackberry last Friday
>> > only
>> > discovered that the internet sluggishness came back once the blackberry
>> > problem was resovled.  I do not know if it is a coincident or this may
>> > be
>> > our
>> > problem.  Has anyone encounter this issue and if so is there a
>> > solution.
>> > Again, this is the first time we were able to identify a possible cause
>> > but I
>> > am not totally convince that this is it.  Could someone give us tips on

Strange Output
Hello, everybody !!! Why this fragment of code shows : ac cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; Thanks All !!! "Alex Dmitriev" <firejump@mail.ru> wrote in message news:ecTgPp8pEHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, everybody !!! > Why this fragment of code shows : ac > > cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elconTrigraphs.asp '??/' is a '\' so you end up with "a\\\bc" http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elc...

how #3
I had an old computer about 5 yrs ago that had microsoft money on it..I used it and then about a year ago I purchased a new computer which at that time came with the quicken program instead of microsoft money...back then you helped me transfer the quicken program to microsoft money so that I could continue to use my accounts...I now have the same problem...We had to do a system recovery and I have lost my microsoft money program...once again it is quicken which I do not want...I have backed up my microsoft money to floppy disks...but I once again need to know how to get the money pro...

How to calculate how many cells have a value of less than 3?
What formula can you use to get the total number of entries from within a range of cells that contain any value 3 or less? I have a large numbers of results in a spreadsheet (results can be anywhere from 1-10) and want to be able to easily get the total number of entries that are either 1,2, or 3. Thanks... =countif(a1:b99,"<=3") is one way. FISH wrote: > > What formula can you use to get the total number of entries from within a > range of cells that contain any value 3 or less? > > I have a large numbers of results in a spreadsheet (results can be any...

Excel Object showing strange behavior
Hello, I have a sheet that I created that contains an Excel object (small spreadsheet) that when double clicked, will open up and allow it to be populated. After they populate it, and close it,...the data is automatically reflected in the object on the original sheet. This is shared with everyone and it's working great. BUT.....(always the but) Why have a few people sent the form back to me saying that when they double click the object it opens up a "Format Object" dialogue box rather than the editable sheet that it was supposed to do? They sent it back to me and sure enough...

Hi #3
Hi I can't seem to attach any gif's at all from the "intert/picture" option. I've changed the options so that the emails are HTML, then I changed them so that they are rich text and used word as the editor. Nothing seems to be working and I keep getting this error. "An error has occured in this dialog. Error: 195 'undefined' is null or not an object." Please help?!?!?! Sharn Hi, The following Knowledge Base (KB) article addresses the issue that you are having. 311750.KB.EN-US OL2000: Error Message: Error 195 'Undefined' Is Null or N...

Problems with sharing a workbook
We've got a weekly accuracy check spreadsheet that's on another drive and accessible to me and another co-worker. Normally, we work on it at different times of the day, but this week we decided to make it accessible to both of us for simultaneous editing. The data was first filtered to hide duplicates, then sorted by Employee ID and Date. I then went to Tools>Share Workbook, checked the box for sharing, and saved the workbook to our "G" drive. Then, the trial run: we both accessed it, I had him color-fill the last row and save. I then saved it on my computer. ...

CRM 3.0 Mobile and Product sales
Hi, How to sell product with CRM mobile ? When I create New Opportuni in with CRM mobile client Device i can not add new opportunity products! When the Opportunity ir create with CRM and then sincronized to Mobile device then I can Only read product information. Is there some solution to add end change oportunity products with in CRM mobile? Martins ...

hyperlink problem
OS is Windows XP Home. I recently switched from AOL to Comcast cable and am using Outlook Express as my e-mail client. When I get an email with a hyperlink, I cannot click on that hyperlink and go directly to the website. I can do nothing but write it down on a piece of paper and go into explorer and type it and go that way. I cannot cut and paste - it won't let me! I have reloaded IE6 with the SP1 updates and am getting the same problem. Any suggestions on what else I can try? Thanks, Sam You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You Click a Link: h...

Stock quote problem.
Money 2006 Canadian edition. This morning my Canadian stock and exchange traded fund quotes are out by a factor of 1000. Mutual funds and American stocks seem to be correct. Anyone know anything about this? In microsoft.public.money, Wally wrote: >Money 2006 Canadian edition. This morning my Canadian stock and exchange >traded fund quotes are out by a factor of 1000. Mutual funds and American >stocks seem to be correct. Anyone know anything about this? I saw several anomalous high prices when I updated prices earlier. The next time I updated prices, it was down to only 2....

Exchange Permissions--Strange One
Hi by default, domain admins (and ent. admins) are denied "receive as" and "send as" permissions to the mailbox store. additionally, by default, on the exchange advanced tab under the mailbox rights button, domain admins are DENIED Full Mailbox Access. However, if you look at the security tab for each user object, by default domain admins are allowed "send as" and "receive as" permissions. now i know that the "receive as" right is ignored on the ad user object, but i ran a small test. i logged on as a domain admin, opened up the domain admin...

Mailbox Manager Policy Problems
I have an Exchange 2000 server with approx 95 users. My organziation recently put an email retention policy into effect and we are using the mailbox manager to delete old mail after 120 days. The problem is that some mailboxes aren't getting touched at all, some are working ok, and others are having one or two folders omitted. We are deleting messages from Sent Items, Inbox, Deleted Items, System Cleanup Folders, and have also checked the All Other Mail Folders. Size is set to any and age is 120 days. Any help will be rewarded with monkeys in clown suits. Thanks in advance... mkfarr...

User Breakpoint problem
I'm using VC++ 6.0. I get a message similar to this one: "User Breakpoint called from code at: 0x77f2706f" I found a description of this problem in the MS Knowledge Base (article 148455), it says that it is a bug in MS VC++ and it has a resolution for it. It tells me to use the following code: CSharedFile file; // Do stuff to fill in the CSharedFile HGLOBAL hGlob = file.Detach(); #if _MFC_VER <= 0x0600 ::GlobalUnlock(hGlob); #endif But this is done with MFCs, and I am NOT using MFCs and I have never even heard of the CSharedFile class. Can anyone t...

Interesting Rule Problem and "on other computer"
I pulled my old .pst into a clean installation of Outlook 2003. I then saw that my rules were there, and downloaded my mail. No where to be found. I saw them come in (over 1000 mails!) - but they were not in the inbox, not anywhere. I even did a search for emails that were newer than yesterday, and nothing popped up. Then, later, I realized that the rules were set to something like "other computer" or something like that. That designation was removed when I went in and edited each and every rule and made sure that all items were pointing to the right places. The strange thing was...

Excel Problem
Last night Excel started messing up on my computer. Dell Computer about 6 years old. Windows XP Pro, MS Office 2002. Open a spreadsheet, Excel opens to a blank spreadsheet and then says it has encountered an error and shuts down. Error appears to be something about a kernel 32.dll (not sure). Tried detect and repair, safe mode, nothing works. Does it from a file open, shortcut or program launch. Need some advice. Google is your friend http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=kernel32.dll&aq=3&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=kernel&gs_rfai= -- Don ...

Reinstalled Microsoft CRM 3 & Now Can't Log On
I just reinstalled Microsoft CRM 3 and created new MSCRM and Metabase DBs. I then added one user and could log on. I then restored my MSCRM and Metabase DBs into the newly created MSCRM and Metabase DBs and when I try to log on I get the "Authentication Error. Microsoft CRM could not log you on to the system." error. If I try to go to the Deployment Manager to add new users there I do not have the Add User option. The only time I had seen this sort of error before was when I had gone into SQL and put one of the main CRM DBs in single user mode. Any ideas as to what I need ...

Problem with sum across worksheets
Hi, I have several applications where I keep monthly data on tabbed worksheets, labled Jan07, Feb07, Mar07... I also add a worksheet I usually call RangeEnd that acts to stop sums for ranges. It has been my practice to make a year end worksheet that would have the same shape data structure and place in each cell the formula "=sum(Jan07:RangeEnd!A1)" and copy it into all the appropriate cells for which I want summed data. This seems to work just fine so long as the sells I am summing are not themselves sums. For example, if cell C1 holds a value, say 10. The C1 cell in th...

Strange Email failure error
Can anyone help? Using Outlook 2002 and POP3 mail. I've always been able to send emails to my wife's work email address until this week, when I get this very strange failure notice. "Connected to 213.2.49.230 but greeting failed. Remote host said: 421 reppsrv01.repp.co.uk is not accepting new connections. Please try later I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long." Does anyone know what the hell this means? thanks -- Google is your Friend Email address deliberately false to avoid spam: gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk www.gbpcomputin...

Bitmap problem
Hi, I create a bitmap in ms photo editor. I then import this bitmap as a new bitmap resource. MSVC6 says "the bitmap has been imported correctly, but because it contains more than 256 colours, it cannot be displayed in the editor". Thats fine, but when i run my application showing the bitmap, the colours are all screwed up. Can I only display 256 colours? Then I save my original bitmap in 256 colour format, re-import, but the colours are still screwed up? What am i doing wrong? How are you showing the bitmap in your program? A lot can happen to the colors depending on how you sh...

Pivot Table External Data % Problem
Hi All, I have the following scenario: This is happening in both Excel 2003 & Excel 2007 using XP. I am accessing an external data source though ODBC. There is one table with Account Number, Date, Month, Amount. There is another table with Account Number, Account Name. I join the two tables using MS Query during the Pivot Table Wizard steps. I then create the Pivot Table with Account # & Account Name as Row Labels, Month as Column Labels, and Amount as the Data. Everything works fine, the Amounts for each month are summed and show up under the correct Month for each Account, for e...

Exmerge Problems
I have migrated all mailboxes from an Exchange 2000 Server to Exchange 2003. I have restored an IS to a Recovery Storage Group. I am trying to use the exmerge tool to pull out one user's information only. I continue to fail on the Exmerge with the "Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)" error. I have verified that my account is not denied in any form or fasion, I have permissions everywhere, and the IS is running. In fact, I am able to co...

Money 2002 backup restore problem
I had a corrupt system file (or something) that required me to reformat my hard drive. I always backed up my Money file to a floppy disk on a routine basis. When I tried to restore the file I received an error that the file "was corrupt or not a Money backup file." I'm pretty certain the file is not corrupt and this is a problem with the restore process. Anyone have a similar problem? (Yes, I've read all the procedures on how to do it.) TIA, Dave Many people who get themselves in this situation installed a different version of Money than the one they were actually u...

Very Strange
Hi I have a Word 2007 document. In this I am using 3 different heading styles. I want to use the feature 'Select Text with Similar Formatting' but it is not working. I have 5 headings that are all Title Case, size 10, Times New Roman, Left aligned and Bold there is exactly the same formatting applied to all 5 headings - I even checked the paragraph spacing - all headings are 0pt before and 12pt after. I checked show and hide - everything I repeat everything is the same - can you tell me why oh why will this feature only select 3 of my headings and not the 5???? ...

Microsoft Publisher 2003 #3
Will Microsoft Publisher 2003 install on multiple computers? If so how many can it install on? Thanks. If you have an OEM version, it can only be installed on one system. If you have a full version, you can install it on one desktop system and one laptop. They cannot be used at the same time. Also, you will have to call Microsoft to activate the second copy. That is the ONLY legal way to have it installed on more than one computer. Please be aware if you have an older version of Publisher and it is installed on more than one computer, you violated Microsoft's end user license agre...

Printing Problems in Entourage
I have no problem printing a monthly calendar, but if I print a weekly format, the program crashes every time. Any one else having that problem? Any suggested solutions? This is a known issue. To work around it, Try removing multi-day events that cross the weekly boundary. On 9/29/05 5:20 PM, in article 1128032452.981239.31830@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com, "Tony" <tonystinson@bellsouth.net> wrote: > I have no problem printing a monthly calendar, but if I print a weekly > format, the program crashes every time. Any one else having that > problem? > > Any su...

Serialization Problem
Hi, I am trying to use the following code to make xml serialization to a file. The following error is being given: "An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in system.xml.dll Additional information: There was an error generating the XML document." The problem should be due to inheritance. Can someone help me solve the problem out. Thanks in Advance ICommunicationTuple ict = new MessageQueueCommunication("test"); XmlSerializer ser = new XmlSerializer(typeof(ICommunicationTuple)); StreamWriter writer = new StreamWriter("c...