Strange "not read" receipt after reading email via quick reading pane in exch2003/ol2003

Hi there,

Exch2003 SP1 system with FE & BE, both running on W2K3 server without sp1.
Client side outlook2003sp1 in caching mode.

Found that after using quick reading pane to view an email & delete it, at
"deleted items" folder this email still in unopen status with blue (1).  If
this email further emptied from "deleted items" the sender of the email got
an "not read" mail receipt, in which the recepient already read the email
via quick reading pane.

So this create confusion about my users, they ask why they already read the
email but sender got such "not read" mail receipt.

Wondering if this is the limitation of exch2003 or outlook2003?  Is there
any settings / registry to force the email to open status even being read by
quick reading pane?

Thanks in advance for your help!

0
leemutpo (79)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 16:54:51 +0800, "leemutpo" <leemutpo@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Exch2003 SP1 system with FE & BE, both running on W2K3 server without sp1.
>Client side outlook2003sp1 in caching mode.
>
>Found that after using quick reading pane to view an email & delete it, at
>"deleted items" folder this email still in unopen status with blue (1).  If
>this email further emptied from "deleted items" the sender of the email got
>an "not read" mail receipt, in which the recepient already read the email
>via quick reading pane.
>
>So this create confusion about my users, they ask why they already read the
>email but sender got such "not read" mail receipt.
>
>Wondering if this is the limitation of exch2003 or outlook2003?  Is there
>any settings / registry to force the email to open status even being read by
>quick reading pane?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help!

That looks exactly the right thing. User looks at a mail in the
reading pane and hits delete. User purges the message and the original
sender gets a not read - perfect.

If you look at the client (this is nothing to do with Exchange) you
will see that you can set the client to mark a message as read after a
number of seconds or when the selection changes.

Personally I regard Read Receipts as spawn of the devil and users who
request them deserve to be  confused when something comes back "not
read", but that's purely my opinion.
0
mark7219 (5666)
11/8/2005 9:34:35 AM
"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>Personally I regard Read Receipts as spawn of the devil and users who
>request them deserve to be  confused when something comes back "not
>read", but that's purely my opinion.

You're not alone in that way of thinking. My boss sends *everything*
with a read receipt. I take great pleasure in using the delete key on
his messages after perusing them in the reading pane. ;>

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

cannot read text message from incoming mail
I cannot read the incoming mail's text message. I only can read it when I press "reply", then i can read all my messages. ...

Test
Test ...

my imac will not read disks
my I mac will not read disks that it has been able to in the past- I have 0sx tiger. ...

excel 2000 cannot read record 100 in SYLK files it itself writes
As in the subject, the problem is as follows: If Excel 2000 writes a sheet in SYLK format, it has problems opening the = ..SLK file. The message is: cannot read record 100 This happens even with an empty sheet. The latest updates are all installed. Excel runs on Windows 2000. How to proceed? Jaap. I've never used a .slk file in real life, but I just created a test file with "asdf" in A1:E200. I saved it as a .slk file, closed it and reopened it. I got the same error along with 103, 106, and 109. But the data looked ok. I put some unique data in those rows and did it aga...

Sharing calendars so everyone can view but not read
I have been asked by the company where I work to find out if it is possible to make a setting where you can share your calendar but all the busy-times comes up as private or white boxes. They want to let some people see what appointments are about, some people should only see "white boxes" when they are busy and they want to make appointments private when noone should see it. As it is now, they have to start inviting to a meeting to find a time everyone can come, instead of having shared calendars side by side. Is there a setting in Exchange to make this possible? We are using...

I cannot read my ex-employee's pst file
Hi, all: I restored a ex-employee's pst file from my backup to my local HD. I am using OUTLOOK 2000. I tried to add another personal folder pointed to the restored pst file. But I got a message saying that it is not a personal folder file. Any help there? BTW, we are runnint Exchange 5.5 server. Thanks, alot! RIck If the ex-employee was using Outlook 2003, and created a unicode pst, you wont be able to read it with Outlook 2000. If the pst is corrupt: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:13:01 -0800, "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft...

my imac will not read disks #2
my I mac will not read disks that it has been able to in the past- I have 0sx tiger. mlford620@gmail.com wrote: > my I mac will not read disks that it has been able to in the past- I > have 0sx tiger. What kind of disks? Disks with Office data on them? Office install disks? Since you posted in a newsgroup for Mac Office, that's why I'm asking. If your iMac won't read any disks - a variety of CD/DVDs - this has nothing to do with Mac Office and everything to do with a broken optical drive. Contact Apple support for help with that. Malke -- MS-MVP Elephant Boy Computers ww...

SoapFormatter.Deserialise cannot read a Font object?
I was trying to use Soap serialisation to save some systems settings how ever it fails if the settings contain a Font object, works fine if the Font object is not in the object being serialised. Font is marked [Serializable()] in the MS documentation. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.SerializationInvoke(Object target, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) at System.Runtime...

ERROR: Cannot read one instance of this recurring appointment
I have seen many people with this same problem and have not seen any real explanation as to what causes it, or how to fix it. This problem has becoming quite a nuisance in my office and I'm hoping someone has a real solution. We are running Exchange Enterprise 2000, and both Outlook 2002 and 2003. We have a shared office calendar and individual calendars where meetings are created and modified. This error will only happen with recurring events and only after one occurrence of that event has been modified. Our office calendar has 25-30 events per day on it and has never had problems until r...

Newline characters not read in appointments
Hi I am facing a strange issue. When i am sending appointments with the following text : "Hi There is a meeting tomorrow. Regards Rahul" The Invitees get the appointment with the following text in the body: "Hi There is a meeting tomorrow. Regards Rahul" The whole text appears in a single line. Newline characters are not read. Emails and other activities are working fine. Any idea why? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Free Online Courses Available for Eggheadcafe.com Users http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/5261083e-6e03-4b25...

downloaded/uploaded sheet not reading data.
worksheet created from downloaded data. when clicking on cells with data, format cell option not available. macros wont recognize data as data either. some data is words and some numbers. any way to convert entire page format to the appropiate text & numbers? Could be any number of reasons, some of which are addressed in your previous posting. TRIM, CLEAN can get rid of some extras. Non-breaking spaces due to HTML will not respond to Trim or Clean. Do an Edit>Replace for Alt + 0160 Enter the 0160 on the numpad. Could be linefeeds like 0010 or 0013 Chip Pearson...

Cannot read attatchments to emails
Email attatchments in pdf are encripted. I have Adobe reader 9.3.1. Widows 7. "graham tm" <graham tm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFE2D37F-4E1E-41D3-A2D6-0D38CF8F2ADA@microsoft.com... > Email attatchments in pdf are encripted. I have Adobe reader 9.3.1. Widows > 7. I highy doubt they're encrypted. What makes you believe they are? I think, instead, that you see the MIME *encoding* of the attachment because something is preventing Outlook from seeing the message data correctly so that it can decode it properly into the original. ...

Cannot Read Saved Document from Works From Other Computer
I am trying to save Microsoft Works documents from my one computer which has a Windows ME operating system onto a disc that I can open on another computer which has a Windows XP operating system. When I try to open the files, I get an error message stating that Works cannot open the file, that it may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installation converters, or the file may be corrupt. I have tried renaming the file but this doesn't work. The file extension is already a .wps one so I don't think there is any conflict with the...

Cannot read a .pub file
I am creating a yearbook for my school. I have been working on the same file for months and whenever I try to open the file I get the message: Cannot read file. I am using Publisher2000 and have been working on the same computer from the beginning, the file is rather large... How can I open the file? Or recover the file? Is it possible that the file is too large to open? Please help, I am hoping I do not have to start all over again! Tara A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Tara <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I am using ...

Auto reply on Not Read Messages
Is there a way to resend a message to those who delete messages without reading them until the message gets read? ...

Cannot Read Emails in Public Folders
We have Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 running in native mode. Client is Outlook 2003 There are two Public Folders that are e-mail enabled. I can send email to them and in Outlook I can see the list of mail items however when I (as administrator) go to open them I get the message Can't open this item. Unknown Error. The strange thing is yesterday, when I set up these folders and sent a test message to them - I could open them. Now today I cannot open any of the previous messages sent yesterday or new ones sent now. I can however delete the items! I can post to the folder but a...

My cd/dvd drive does not read or burn discs
My Cd/DVD drive does not read or burn discs anymore. I 've used it yesterday to burn my brother a cd, and it hasn't worked since. I uninstalled the device and reinstalled it, and i have checked the connections. I am using this device with windows vista. I am thinking it maybe broken, but i am not sure. Ist there anything else that i could do to make sure it is not broken? any help would be greatly appreciated You do understand that this is a forum specifically for Microsoft Outlook? Can you please explain what your CD/DVD drive has to do with Outlook? If you can, we&#...

Please help! Outlook cannot read mailbox!
Hi, I have a huge problem. I'm using SBS server. I've created a user. They can access their e-mail from outlook web access, but not Outlook itself. In outlook I can't even create a new exchange account, as outlook cannot find the user. Hope that someone can help Btw, I see this in my event log: Information Store (3288) First Storage Group: Index FoldersIndex6 of table Folders is corrupted (0). If OWA works the problem must be with the client or name resolution. 1. Is name resolution from your client to the Exchange server working correctly? 2. If name resolution is not an...

Need answer for "can not read file"
I have an Excel workbook that now I can not open. When I try to open it, I get: "can not read file". Is there anything I can do to recover this workbook or open it? CR Try opening in another version of excel. I have heard that sometimes works. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software Granite Shoals, TX donaldb@281.com "CR" <stopher2020@aol.com> wrote in message news:0b6b01c3576b$9b1b7150$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have an Excel workbook that now I can not open. When I > try to open it, I get: "can not read file". Is there > anything I can do to recov...

new excell will not read old excell file
I have just installed office home and student into a new computer but when try to run one of my existing file it tells me it is corrupt. It runs fine in the old computer. please help What versions of Excel are involved? XL2007 can read and write both the new formats (xlsm, xlsx, xlsb) and the old format (xls). Unless you have the Office Compatibility Pack (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074/en-us) installed, XL2003 can read only xls files -- it cannot read the new file versions. Since 2003 has no knowlege of the new formats, it assume the file is corrupted. Of course, a file...

dvd-rw cannot read cd/dvd
Out of the blue, the optical drive cannot read the cd/dvd.When I power on the pc, it does detect the device as shown in 'my computer" but whenI insert a cd/dvd, it will not read it. I detached the data cable and attached it again, the pc recognised a new device but still it cannnot read the cd/dvd. However when I attached this optical drive into another pc, it can read the same cd. This shows me that the optical drive it functioning proper, so is it the controllers problem? As an experiment, I attached another optical drive from my wife's computer into my comput...

cannot read emails from certain senders
Hi ! A user with Outlook 2002 sp1 has suddenly experiencing problems reading emails from certain senders. The email body has lines of additional text hiding the content of the email yet if it is forwarded the user can read no problem. I have tried changing her format from html to rich text etc and still the same. I have tried sending her the same communication from myself which is perfectly OK and the extra lines of text still appear when she receives it. She is a directors secretary and I have been changing some permissions on some resource mailboxes but not changed her own mailbox so I can...

Word cannot read temporary file
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Over the last two months I have experienced a major problem with Word (12.2.4) when dealing with Word attachments opened from Lotus Notes (8.5.1). After opening Word attachments at some indeterminate time afterwards I will receive the message 'Word encountered an error reading xxxxx.doc. The file may be corrupt'. Clicking OK results in 'Word failed reading from this file'. The retry button here just loops back to the same message, pressing Cancel results on 'Word encountered an error readi...

Cannot read file with password
I've created a 2003 .ppt file, with a password. If you enter the password you can make edits. If you do not enter the pw, then the file opens in read-only mode. When another person on our network tries to open the file, they receive an error message...."Powerpoint can't read the outline from s:\directory\filename.ppt. No text converter is installed for this file type." When opening the file from my workstation, I get the prompt to enter a password and everything works as expected. Any help? Could they have a version BEFORE 2002? "Kelli" <Kel...

Not reading pasted values?
I have had this problem a few times before and I haven't been able to find the answer... I had a list of formulas and results in the column next to it (B). I copied the values into another list (C) and now am referring another set of formulas (d) to point at the pasted results. The new formula's dont work (#N/A - error) unless I go down to each pasted value and click in that cell and hit enter. It's like saying that the cell values aren't real until I validate them by hitting enter in those cells? Not too many details....... Try Tools>Options>Calculation tab, check Au...