Strange business request, ideas wanted.

We have several field operations people who work out in BFE.  They have been
getting internet/email access through various satellite providers.  These
people are rarely at the same place for very long which requires them to be
constantly changing ISPs.  What we would like to do is at least bring their
email in-house so it can be journaled in accourdance with corporate policy.

The kicker here is that these people are technically challenged to say the
least, and the business dept responsible for them wants them to be able to
use email without the need for usernames and passwords.

Obviously, if they are to use an Exchange mailbox they must authenticate.
We thought about setting up POP or IMAP accounts for them with passwords that
don't expire so they don't have to logon every time.  This won't fly,
however, due to the security risks involved.

I say tough, they have a behavioral problem that can't be solved with a
technological solution.  However, what alternatives are left?  Smart cards,
email outsourcing?  Any way to securely and efficiently distribute
usernames/passwords?  Any other ideas?
0
SilverICE (243)

BFE = "Beyond Freaking Egypt"?  Really, I've never heard of this before.

I'm with you.  There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral
problems.

I guess you could buy them all laptops with retina scanners or something
like that.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have several field operations people who work out in BFE.  They have
> been
> getting internet/email access through various satellite providers.  These
> people are rarely at the same place for very long which requires them to
> be
> constantly changing ISPs.  What we would like to do is at least bring
> their
> email in-house so it can be journaled in accourdance with corporate
> policy.
>
> The kicker here is that these people are technically challenged to say the
> least, and the business dept responsible for them wants them to be able to
> use email without the need for usernames and passwords.
>
> Obviously, if they are to use an Exchange mailbox they must authenticate.
> We thought about setting up POP or IMAP accounts for them with passwords
> that
> don't expire so they don't have to logon every time.  This won't fly,
> however, due to the security risks involved.
>
> I say tough, they have a behavioral problem that can't be solved with a
> technological solution.  However, what alternatives are left?  Smart
> cards,
> email outsourcing?  Any way to securely and efficiently distribute
> usernames/passwords?  Any other ideas?

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Want to Buy CRM 3.0 CALs
If anyone has extra CRM 3.0 Small Business CALs they don't need, I'm looking to buy. Upgrading to 4.0 is out of our budget. ...

Money 2004 Small Business #8
I have used Quicken for many years and Money Deluxe for the past year or so. One of the shortcomings of these excellent programs in accounting for a small business is their lack of "equity" type accounts, and the inability to print a conventional balance sheet. Can anyone tell me if the 2004 version of Money Small Business Edition has addressed this issue? Thanks very much! ...

$ 2006 Premium, Update Online Information Password request
I updated from Money 2003 to Money 2006 premium this weekend, Everything converted and worked fine the first I sent my epays and updated my online information. The second time I try to use and each time siubsequent when I try to send an epay or update online information I get asked for my password and when I enter it I get message that my bank requires that I change my password before I update online information and then gives me instruction son how to do this in Money 2006. I called my bank (Comerica) and they said no they do not. Trying to follow the instructions to change my password for...

Home Credit Business
Hi, can anyone help, i know a lttle about ecxel and would pay someone to produce what is required. I have customers that i lend money to, maybe up to 500 at a time. I need to track what they owe, how much they have paid, and their contact details, how much i am owed in total and how much i have lent, plus my profit,etc. The amount of weeks the loan is for and the possiblities of over payments. I also need a daily run sheet, for when collections are due or are late payers. and reports. Repayments would only ever be over 22, 31 and 46 weeks. at set interest rates. I have tried to upload my...

Create new entities on Business Portal
I would like to test on my demo company how to create new entities in Business Portal. However, it seems that I need an add on product (from IBM?) to install SDK. Does anyone know how to get a test version of that IBM product? ...

CEO wants to consolidate mail from 3 seperate mailboxes
My company owns several subsidiaries. My CEO wants to consolidate mail from three seperate mailboxes into one. He has three seperate mailboxes on three seperate Exchange servers in different organizations. Would forwarding work in this case? Maybe a 3rd party product. Thanks for bailing me out! If the mail users are sitting on the same Exchange Organisation then it's a matter of coping the mail to one mail box and removing two others. If they are not on same Org then create your CEO mail box as Customer Receipent on the servers than need to forward. Another option if there is 3 sepera...

Strange SMTP addresses in Public Folders
Hello all I noticed today that several of my public folders have hundreds of randomly named SMTP addresses in the "E-mail Addresses" tab under the properties of each folder. The primary e-mail address matching the name of the public folder exist in the long list of other addresses so e-mail sent to the folder in making it to the right place, but why there are hundreds of other SMTP addresses has me stumped. All of the addresses are 6 characters in front of the @ and then the correct domain name for my organization. Example: 10a8cd@domain.com, 10c426@domain.com. One of my folders...

I want cells to show green if <10% and red if>10%. please help
I am trying to make cells show a green background if the result is less than 10 and a red background if the result is grater than 10 I am relatively new to Excel and although I have spent some time trying I cant work this one out. Pleas Help! First select and highlight the cell(s) you want to use. Format > Conditional Formatting > Select "Cell value is" "Less than or equal to" ".1" (place decimal point one in the selection) Now click the "Format" button and select the "Pattern" tab and select your shade of green. Now click the &...

Small Business Accounting 2006 integration
I am in the process of trying to decide if I should make the switch from Quickbooks POS to Retail Management. One of my problems is that Quickbooks POS and Quickbooks Pro accounting do not communicate very well. I was thinking of going with MS Small Business accounting and RMS but I needed to find out if anyone has had any experience with the connector software? is there somewhere I can find out exactly what information is shared? One issue I have with QB is that item information is not transfered between the programs. My experience has not been good. I have tried to install the R...

PA not receiving meeting related request of manager when she is also on the invite list
Hello all, I am currently helping out a personal assistant who in turn is a delegate on her manager's calendar. For reference, both PA and manager are on Outlook2007. Email system is Exchange 2k10 for several months. The PA receives his meeting requests just fine. That is until she is ALSO on the invite list of the meeting request, in which case she now only gets one meeting request request for herself and NOT a second meeting request for her manager. Apparently this was working a few weeks ago such that she would have got both meeting request. Example. Person A send i...

Strange EnableWindow!!
I wrote a hangman game for my application, after they guess a character by a button, the button will be disabled (m_buttonA.EnableWindow(FALSE);) so that can't make that guess again After the game is restarted, I enabled all 26 buttons again by doing this (stupid) m_buttonA.EnableWindow(TRUE); m_buttonB.EnableWindow(TRUE) m_buttonC.EnableWindow(TRUE) ..... m_buttonZ.EnableWindow(TRUE) everything goes smoothly EXCEPT the last clicked button before restart is not enabled what happened I tried to "sleep(1000);" before enable them, but it doesn't work... Please help! thanks!...

Business Portal 2 question
I have already install Windows Sharepoint Services, I wanted to start using BP 2 w/ GP 7.5, can I install BP over the existing WSS or should it unistall it first and reinstall BP? Since WSS is a requirement for BP, you should go ahead and install BP. It will create a site automatically. On the BP disc is WSS. You are talking about Sharepoint Team Services, not Sharepoint Portal Server, right? >-----Original Message----- >I have already install Windows Sharepoint Services, I wanted to start using >BP 2 w/ GP 7.5, can I install BP over the existing WSS or should it unistal...

Format Question: want veritical letters that "read" downward
Hi: I want to format a cell so that the letters up "normal" but are stacked vertically. Thus: H e l l o I can get format to rotate the word 90 degrees but that's not quite what I want. (I did this in 123, want to do it in Excel.) Thanks jlg Check Format/Cells/Alignment and click on the vertical text button in the Orientation section. In article <OAyEoJ9dDHA.2332@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "King George John" <gilmer@crosslink.net> wrote: > Hi: > > I want to format a cell so that the letters up "normal" but are stacked > verti...

Include Businesses in Search results
'Have Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Can businesses be included in the Contacts list when searching? How? Sample: When doing a search for Jones, I'd like to include the Jones Computer Store. Is it required to put Jones Computer Store in the Full Name Box in addition to having it in the Business box? Many thanks, -- Don Vancouver, USA You can either expand the Search Contacts box and type the name of the company in the Company field or search by typing; company:(Company Name) -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 20...

Money 2007 Home & Business
Whenever I try to log into my Money file, I get the error that there isn't an internet connection. This was a clean install of Vista, and then Money 2007 was installed. So if there's no internet connection from within Money, then it's going to be a little hard to download SP2! I have no internet connection issues with any other programs. Run as Administrator is greyed out. I also tried WinXP SP2 compatibility mode. Nothing worked. Nevermind. I used the "search" function :-) "clarkcarty" wrote: > Whenever I try to log into my Money file, I get t...

Customize Business Unit Entity Attributes
Hi Everyone, I'm trying to edit the attributes for the Business Entity.' Problem is, everything is greyed out. I'm able to customize other entities (such as Contact, Account etC), but not the Business Unit. Can someone tell me why this is happening? Thanks, Ben Basically , you aren't allowed to !!!! and the same in CRM4.0 "LBIT" <LBIT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA7104A9-779D-4D96-9562-F638EAAEC4E1@microsoft.com... > Hi Everyone, > > I'm trying to edit the attributes for the Business Entity.' > > Problem is...

Tracking Business Start up Costs
Using Money 2004 Small Biz. I want to track start-up costs prior to the date of actually beginning operations. Do I simply create a fixed asset account for this purpose? This is for better tax accounting, since expenses that normally would be considered regular business expenses, but were incurred prior to the date of starting operations, are considered capital costs for tax purposes, and must be amortized over 60 months. ...

Want to combine columns and horizontal lines in complex chart
Hello All, I want to create a complex chart that has 13 pairs of vertical columns representing before and after school attendance for 13 schools. I want to superimpose 13 sets of 5 horizontal lines that represent attendance thresholds for each school. The source for the position of the lines comes from columns SCR$, UpperU, UpperA, Optimal, LowerA and LowerU. The source of data for the columns comes from the columns Base and New. Here is a chart of how my data is imported - I can of course, manipulate that import or transpose it if necessary. SchoolNum SCR$ UpperU UpperA Optimal LowerA ...

i want to kill xmlreader and all her children #2
please reply via email to this post to x0td0x@hotmail.com i need some code that will generate code to read the xml file it is reading for example input: <book> <bk:title>the wind</bk:title> <bk:content type="text">howl</bk:content> </book>output: (xtw=xmltextwriter) [code:1:b5cc48202f]xtw.WriteStartElement("book"); xtw.WriteStartElement("bk:title"); xtw.WriteString("the wind"); xtw.WriteEndElement(); xtw.WriteStartElement("bk:content"); xtw.WriteAttributeString("type","text"); xtw.WriteSt...

I want to convert an Excel Chart to a .tif format file
I have tried copying to PowerPoint and then saving as a tif, but the quality is not as good. I suppose the easiest way would be for you to download a copy of the free ASAP utility. As one of its options, you can convert an Excel file into a ..tif... others too. BR "rlbell" <rlbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F7D39D4-2E42-4FD2-99DF-5D8BB188F4E9@microsoft.com... >I have tried copying to PowerPoint and then saving as a tif, but the >quality > is not as good. Hello, Brad! You wrote on Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:50:48 -0500: B> I suppose t...

Recurring Password requests
We have a client who is a press agency - they use shared calendars on Outlook 2007 to log interviews etc for about 6 reporters. Most users are ok... but two have the same problem, every time they open Outlook they are asked for the username and password to allow them to view their colleagues calendars, they have ticked the "remember" boxes but this does not seem to have any affect. Any idea's would be gratefully received.. Thanks Keith ...

Creating a flier for a new business
Does anyone know what program would be best to create a business flier? When it comes to computer literacy I struggle. I want to make a flier for a new business (Auto Detailing) and a business card? If you could give me a couple of program options in case I don't have one of them on my computer already. If there is some software I could purchase that is cheap I will do it but, I'd rather not. Thanks Erik ...

Business Contact Manager
When you right-click the User/Email address on an email you can select to add it to Contacts. Is there any way of doing the same but adding the user to the Business Contact Manager Contacts group instead of the regular Contacts group? Thanks. After the new contact opens, choose File | Move to Folder instead of Save and Close. You'll need to open it from the BCM folder to add an account. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Joe Cors...

WRITE BUSINESS PLAN
How about WRITE POST first? "kevin" <kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D590932D-C63A-45D0-9A02-9853CFA51CE0@microsoft.com... > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=business+plan -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "kevin" <kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D590932D-C63A-45D0-9A02-9853CFA51CE0@microsoft.com... > Kevin Lets hope that you are a little more verbose with your plan than you were with your po...

Microsoft Business Solutions Certified Professional
I have passed my first exam Microsoft CRM Installation & Configuration last week. I am also an MCAD.NET. When I look at my transcript on the MCP Member site. I dont find the passed exam on the list. Is there any other site for Business solution exams to see the transcript. Or I have to wait for the 2 weeks to check . Is there any body who know this. Thanks Nidhi MBS and MS certification systems are not integrated yet. MCP site does not display MBS certifiations You can only see MBS certifications online through PartnerSource, AFAIK "Nidhi Dham" <NidhiDham@discussions...