Strang inbound and outbound mail size restriction result

Hi,
Currently, I am using ISS antipam server  (straight,  no size restriction)
and relay to Exchange mail server.  I am setting global sending size as 4 mb
and receiving size as 8 mb.  Rules applied to internal account
(coworker-coworker) correctly.  There is problem is receiving from external
email (Yahoo with10MB file restriction) to internal email; the users can't
receive larger than 4 mb files.   Ironically, if I change global sending
size to 6 MB then I can receive the external email less than 6MB.   From all
testing, I verify the external receiveing is based on global sending size
restriction.   Help, any tips and information will be appreciated.  I am
knocking my head off on this one.

Thank you in advance,

Johnny Chow

0
jchow10 (88)

I think this is a known problem described in KB 298572 - the way categorizer
treats messages (no distinction between inbound and outbound, minimum of the
2 applies).
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT
--------------------------------

"Johnny Chow" <jchow10@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Currently, I am using ISS antipam server  (straight,  no size restriction)
> and relay to Exchange mail server.  I am setting global sending size as 4
> mb and receiving size as 8 mb.  Rules applied to internal account
> (coworker-coworker) correctly.  There is problem is receiving from
> external email (Yahoo with10MB file restriction) to internal email; the
> users can't receive larger than 4 mb files.   Ironically, if I change
> global sending size to 6 MB then I can receive the external email less
> than 6MB.   From all testing, I verify the external receiveing is based on
> global sending size restriction.   Help, any tips and information will be
> appreciated.  I am knocking my head off on this one.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Johnny Chow

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
10/12/2005 11:29:04 PM
Thank you for informatin. I was confused by reading the article; there is no
solution for this. It has 322679 article, set size limit for messages.  Does
it mean I setup size limit incorrectly or it was known user problem.  I
setup global policy sending as 4mb and receiving as 8MB on Exchange 2003
enterprise server.  Virtual SMTP server is uncheck for "Limit message size"
with gray 4096 KB and "limit session to" with gray 10240 KB.  Can this cause
problem?  Base on my understand, I do not need setup smtp connector because
I am using virtual smtp.  Please correct if I am wrong.

Thank again in advance,

Johnny Chow

"Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>I think this is a known problem described in KB 298572 - the way
>categorizer treats messages (no distinction between inbound and outbound,
>minimum of the 2 applies).
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> --------------------------------
>
> "Johnny Chow" <jchow10@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Currently, I am using ISS antipam server  (straight,  no size
>> restriction) and relay to Exchange mail server.  I am setting global
>> sending size as 4 mb and receiving size as 8 mb.  Rules applied to
>> internal account (coworker-coworker) correctly.  There is problem is
>> receiving from external email (Yahoo with10MB file restriction) to
>> internal email; the users can't receive larger than 4 mb files.
>> Ironically, if I change global sending size to 6 MB then I can receive
>> the external email less than 6MB.   From all testing, I verify the
>> external receiveing is based on global sending size restriction.   Help,
>> any tips and information will be appreciated.  I am knocking my head off
>> on this one.
>>
>> Thank you in advance,
>>
>> Johnny Chow

0
jchow10 (88)
10/13/2005 12:05:39 AM
- A message will go through categorizer regardless of whether you're using a
Connector or not. The Connector uses SMTP virtual servers.
- What the article states: "The categorizer does not differentiate between
incoming messages and outbound messages, and it applies both message size
limits to all messages."
- It further states that "... global message delivery options Sending
message size and Receiving message size do not provide the functionality
that you might expect based on their descriptions. "
-- & --
- the smallest message size that is specified for either of these options
effectively controls the maximum message size that Exchange can process for
both incoming and outgoing messages on any server. These settings do not
work independently from each other.

In other words, the smallest value will actually be the size one can send
and receive. To overcome this, just make both values the same.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

> Thank you for informatin. I was confused by reading the article; there is
> no solution for this. It has 322679 article, set size limit for messages.
> Does it mean I setup size limit incorrectly or it was known user problem.
> I setup global policy sending as 4mb and receiving as 8MB on Exchange 2003
> enterprise server.  Virtual SMTP server is uncheck for "Limit message
> size" with gray 4096 KB and "limit session to" with gray 10240 KB.  Can
> this cause problem?  Base on my understand, I do not need setup smtp
> connector because I am using virtual smtp.  Please correct if I am wrong.
>
> Thank again in advance,
>
> Johnny Chow
>
> "Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>>I think this is a known problem described in KB 298572 - the way
>>categorizer treats messages (no distinction between inbound and outbound,
>>minimum of the 2 applies).
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298572/EN-US/
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MCSE, MCT
>> --------------------------------
>>
>> "Johnny Chow" <jchow10@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> Currently, I am using ISS antipam server  (straight,  no size
>>> restriction) and relay to Exchange mail server.  I am setting global
>>> sending size as 4 mb and receiving size as 8 mb.  Rules applied to
>>> internal account (coworker-coworker) correctly.  There is problem is
>>> receiving from external email (Yahoo with10MB file restriction) to
>>> internal email; the users can't receive larger than 4 mb files.
>>> Ironically, if I change global sending size to 6 MB then I can receive
>>> the external email less than 6MB.   From all testing, I verify the
>>> external receiveing is based on global sending size restriction.   Help,
>>> any tips and information will be appreciated.  I am knocking my head off
>>> on this one.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance,
>>>
>>> Johnny Chow

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
10/13/2005 12:31:13 AM
Thank you for clear explanation.  Was it known bug?

>- A message will go through categorizer regardless of whether you're using
>a Connector or not. The Connector uses SMTP virtual servers.
> - What the article states: "The categorizer does not differentiate between
> incoming messages and outbound messages, and it applies both message size
> limits to all messages."
> - It further states that "... global message delivery options Sending
> message size and Receiving message size do not provide the functionality
> that you might expect based on their descriptions. "
> -- & --
> - the smallest message size that is specified for either of these options
> effectively controls the maximum message size that Exchange can process
> for both incoming and outgoing messages on any server. These settings do
> not work independently from each other.
>
> In other words, the smallest value will actually be the size one can send
> and receive. To overcome this, just make both values the same.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> --------------------------------
>
> "Johnny Chow" <jchow10@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you for informatin. I was confused by reading the article; there is
>> no solution for this. It has 322679 article, set size limit for messages.
>> Does it mean I setup size limit incorrectly or it was known user problem.
>> I setup global policy sending as 4mb and receiving as 8MB on Exchange
>> 2003 enterprise server.  Virtual SMTP server is uncheck for "Limit
>> message size" with gray 4096 KB and "limit session to" with gray 10240
>> KB.  Can this cause problem?  Base on my understand, I do not need setup
>> smtp connector because I am using virtual smtp.  Please correct if I am
>> wrong.
>>
>> Thank again in advance,
>>
>> Johnny Chow
>>
>> "Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>>>I think this is a known problem described in KB 298572 - the way
>>>categorizer treats messages (no distinction between inbound and outbound,
>>>minimum of the 2 applies).
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298572/EN-US/
>>> --
>>> Bharat Suneja
>>> MCSE, MCT
>>> --------------------------------
>>>
>>> "Johnny Chow" <jchow10@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
jchow10 (88)
10/13/2005 3:06:54 AM
Since it may be know bug from Exchange 2000-2003  and unfortunately, top
management still want to restrict development team to send out only 4MB to
prevent code leaking and other can have 6MB.  If I make both values the
same as 4MB then others may have the problem to sendout.  Marketeers will
scream that they could not receive > 4MB file from external email.  What
should I do?  Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Johnny Chow

"Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>- A message will go through categorizer regardless of whether you're using
>a Connector or not. The Connector uses SMTP virtual servers.
> - What the article states: "The categorizer does not differentiate between
> incoming messages and outbound messages, and it applies both message size
> limits to all messages."
> - It further states that "... global message delivery options Sending
> message size and Receiving message size do not provide the functionality
> that you might expect based on their descriptions. "
> -- & --
> - the smallest message size that is specified for either of these options
> effectively controls the maximum message size that Exchange can process
> for both incoming and outgoing messages on any server. These settings do
> not work independently from each other.
>
> In other words, the smallest value will actually be the size one can send
> and receive. To overcome this, just make both values the same.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> --------------------------------
>
> "Johnny Chow" <jchow10@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you for informatin. I was confused by reading the article; there is
>> no solution for this. It has 322679 article, set size limit for messages.
>> Does it mean I setup size limit incorrectly or it was known user problem.
>> I setup global policy sending as 4mb and receiving as 8MB on Exchange
>> 2003 enterprise server.  Virtual SMTP server is uncheck for "Limit
>> message size" with gray 4096 KB and "limit session to" with gray 10240
>> KB.  Can this cause problem?  Base on my understand, I do not need setup
>> smtp connector because I am using virtual smtp.  Please correct if I am
>> wrong.
>>
>> Thank again in advance,
>>
>> Johnny Chow
>>
>> "Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
>>>I think this is a known problem described in KB 298572 - the way
>>>categorizer treats messages (no distinction between inbound and outbound,
>>>minimum of the 2 applies).
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298572/EN-US/
>>> --
>>> Bharat Suneja
>>> MCSE, MCT
>>> --------------------------------
>>>
>>> "Johnny Chow" <jchow10@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
jchow10 (88)

Strange Output
Hello, everybody !!! Why this fragment of code shows : ac cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; Thanks All !!! "Alex Dmitriev" <firejump@mail.ru> wrote in message news:ecTgPp8pEHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, everybody !!! > Why this fragment of code shows : ac > > cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elconTrigraphs.asp '??/' is a '\' so you end up with "a\\\bc" http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elc...

Outlook 2000 SP3 gives alerts while sending mails using COM Addin
Hi, I have writtern an COM Addin which sends mails to a specified receipient on exiting outlook. The application was working fine until i put SP3 on outlook 2000. From then on, on outlook exit, it started prompting users that "A Program is trying to send a mail. Do you want to allow the program to send mail?" Sameway when i open mail box using com addin, it again alerts telling A Program is trying to accesses your mails. Do you want to allow the program to access mail?" Is there anyway, where in i can by pass this alerts ??? I'm using Outlook 2000 and SP3. Thank...

E-mail Not Resolved
Hi Everyone: When responding to an e-mail from CRM, the reply mail states "At least one e-mail address could not be resolved to the records" or close to that. I've checked the contact and the account e-mail address, both are correct. In both cases, the e-mail address in CRM's reply to field is the unresolved address abc@abc.com (again, the correct address). However, if I open the contact in Outlook proper, the email address is listed in its friendly form, eg: Don Jones. I'm suspecting CRM is not reading the contact information correctly--any ideas? BTM, if I do re...

Excel Object showing strange behavior
Hello, I have a sheet that I created that contains an Excel object (small spreadsheet) that when double clicked, will open up and allow it to be populated. After they populate it, and close it,...the data is automatically reflected in the object on the original sheet. This is shared with everyone and it's working great. BUT.....(always the but) Why have a few people sent the form back to me saying that when they double click the object it opens up a "Format Object" dialogue box rather than the editable sheet that it was supposed to do? They sent it back to me and sure enough...

E-mail Issues
I have a couple of questions regarding our e-mail server. We are running Windows 2003 SBS, and use the exchange server included for incoming and outgoing e-mail. Incoming appears to operate without any issues, however, the outgoing e-mail is extremely slow for e-mail being sent off of the server. E-mail from one address to another within our domain (ie. on our own server) is instant. My questions are: 1) What would cause such slow outgoing mail that has a destination elsewhere? We recently had to re-install Windows Server, and it seems that this is a new issue. E-mail does get t...

Exchange Permissions--Strange One
Hi by default, domain admins (and ent. admins) are denied "receive as" and "send as" permissions to the mailbox store. additionally, by default, on the exchange advanced tab under the mailbox rights button, domain admins are DENIED Full Mailbox Access. However, if you look at the security tab for each user object, by default domain admins are allowed "send as" and "receive as" permissions. now i know that the "receive as" right is ignored on the ad user object, but i ran a small test. i logged on as a domain admin, opened up the domain admin...

File size and Publisher
I hve a folder full of images that does not exceed 21 MB. However, embedded in a 12 X 18 page in Publisher it blows up to be over 275 MB. What can I do to reduce file size, but not sacrifice quality in printing? When printing to commercial copier, it will throw errors and some images just don't print. A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Stan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I hve a folder full of images that does not exceed 21 MB. > However, embedded in a 12 X 18 page in Publisher it blows > up to be over 275 MB. This...

Strange Email failure error
Can anyone help? Using Outlook 2002 and POP3 mail. I've always been able to send emails to my wife's work email address until this week, when I get this very strange failure notice. "Connected to 213.2.49.230 but greeting failed. Remote host said: 421 reppsrv01.repp.co.uk is not accepting new connections. Please try later I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long." Does anyone know what the hell this means? thanks -- Google is your Friend Email address deliberately false to avoid spam: gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk www.gbpcomputin...

produce random results in a report
I'm trying to write a report that will produce random results each time it is run. There are approximately 300 records in my database. For each record, I have included a field with a number identifier (1-7). Each time I run the report, I want it to choose records randomly based on the following list (the number represents the identifier). 2 2 1 7 7 7 5 3 4 6 On 15.12.2009 04:12, DamselNTX wrote: > I'm trying to write a report that will produce random results each time it is > run. There are approximately 300 records in my database. For each record, I...

Cannot SEND MAIL!
I too canot send any mail! I am receiving, but all my messages I try to send go straight to my outbox and take up space! They dont show up in the sent folder at all! I do not have spysweeper or any of the other programs mentioned previously! I have norton and have no problems with it interfering with my mail for a year!! Not until the 10th!! on the 9th everything was fine, by the 10th my email went down the pooper!!!!! HELP ME!!! I would suggest you post in another forum. This is a Great Plains forum. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Use...

5.5 to 2003 mail deleted
I have created an Exchange 2003 SP2 server and joined a single Exchange 5.5 site. Internal email to mailboxes on the 2003 server is fine. All incoming email from the Internet is being deleted. I have an Application Log error on the new mail server event ID 2092 source MSExchangeIS Mailbox Category Transfer into Gateway. A corrupt message was received from the MTA for gateway /O=PCD/OU=Peabody/cn=Configuration/cn=Connections/cn=SMTP (APCDMAIL)/cn={BD69973E-0872-433C-8933-3BEBCD0819E7}:APCDMAIL. A non-delivery report can not be generated, it has been removed from the Transfer-In queue. Error...

Very Strange
Hi I have a Word 2007 document. In this I am using 3 different heading styles. I want to use the feature 'Select Text with Similar Formatting' but it is not working. I have 5 headings that are all Title Case, size 10, Times New Roman, Left aligned and Bold there is exactly the same formatting applied to all 5 headings - I even checked the paragraph spacing - all headings are 0pt before and 12pt after. I checked show and hide - everything I repeat everything is the same - can you tell me why oh why will this feature only select 3 of my headings and not the 5???? ...

Live mail does not remember folded threads in newsgroups
Hello to all, I recently switched from Outlook express to windows live mail to be used as a newsreader (and now for rss, too.) Problem When I "fold" a thread in OE it was remembered "folded". If there were new news, just the "main line" (first post in thread) became bold. In Live Mail I can fold a thread, but this is not remembered ! When I start it again, all threads ,with or without new posts, are unfolded again. This makes it VERY hard to find new posts in older thread , because ALL are open again And more worse, you cannot mark all and s...

Can't Send Mail in Outlook 2003
I've been working on this problem for many hours. At first, I thought the cause of me not being able to send mail was because of ZoneAlarm. After uninstalling and reinstalling ZoneAlarm, there's no luck in me getting my Outlook 2003 to send mail. I did re-create profiles from the Control Panel > Mail for Outlook 2003. The problem occurs when I'm testing the settings of the account. It's unable to send a test email to the account. All of the settings such as server name and passwords are correct. Is this a Outlook 2003 issue of some kind? The reason I state that quest...

Change user email address for outbound emails
I have a recipient policy that sets up email addresses based on the user name. One of the users has a name with an ' (apostrophe). Many people can't send emails to addresses that contain an apostrophe. Because of this I need to change her email address without changing her name in Active Directory. I just added a new SMTP address in the user properties and set the new address to primary and then unchecked "Auto update based on Recipient Policy". Is this the best way to address this issue. Works for me. "Colin" <legendsfan@nospam.nospam> wro...

How can I import mail account settings from OE into Outlook?
I have exported the account settings for my email accounts and copied them to the machine where I have Outlook installed. When I try to import them, Outlook says there is nothig to import, never giving an opportunity for me to tell it what/where to import. how did you do it? did you configure the accounts in OE first? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchan...

Someone broke into my mail account
I've received an e-mail which came from my account/mail which was an advertisement to computers. What can I do about it? Thanks ! Please change your password immediately before they do it for you and take full and permanent control over your account. There is nothing else you can do because the authorities have bigger things to worry about like trade with China and jobs in United States! hth "Ran" <Ran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0CC5D7E-3E90-436E-9D76-E67A49D53BDF@microsoft.com... > I've received an e-mail which came fr...

How to stop the send mail before recipient to open the mail
Do you have Exchange Installed in a Corporate Environment -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Sudhakar Bhooshan" <Sudhakar Bhooshan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D719D65E-7F61-4D16-9F56-C8F7844063E7@microsoft.com... > Recall, but it only works with Exchange server and then not very well. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by ema...

why this strange result with vlookup
hi i have this formula in a cell =VLOOKUP(A3,'LookUp Data'!A2:O740,2,FALSE) but any time i pick a code from my list items in column A it gives #NA but as soon as i change to a different code it gives the name. any help why My best guess would be a data type mismatch. Looking up text in a column of numbers. When you change the value the type gets converted and the result is returned. Hard to say though based on yoru description. The ohter thig to look for might be blank characters padded at the end of the input. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Amin" wrot...

DestroyWindow ASSERT problem....strange, strange!
Hi I have derived a dialog-class in a DLL (shared MFC) I can construct an object of this class in my app, and when overloading DoModal() and adding an AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState( )); call, I can see the CMyDialog dialog. But here is the issue, I have a timer set for a certain time, it posts a message and the dialog has to be killed - so I use CDialog::OnCancel. Then DoModal calls DestroyWindow() - Here a copy of the m_hWnd is made in hWndOrig. #ifdef _DEBUG hWndOrig = m_hWnd; #endif Then m_hWnd gets set to Null by ::DestroyWndow (which calls OnNcDestroy). But later in Dest...

Mail profiles
I accidentally deleted my default mail profile. Now, when I try to add a profile, the wizard doesn't start up at all. What can I do? Are you trying to add the profile via Control Panel | Mail | Show Profiles? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:33d201c42940$b1378cb0$a601280a@phx.gbl, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I accidentally deleted my default mail profile. > > Now, when I try to add a profile, the wizard doesn'...

Yahoo mail POP connect error using Outlook Express 6. It was working all right before.
I have a free yahoo account "..accountname@yahoo.ca". It was working alright for years, but since a few days ago, I have the following problem: The server responded with an error. Account: 'mwintrust@yahoo.ca', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 216.136.173.10 (216.136.173.10:110), connect error 10061', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90 Thanks for anyone's help. did yahoo.ca end pop support for free accounts? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] A...

Vista Mail frequently blocks when deleting mail items
When deleting mail items from my various folders Mail frequently blocks. Closing and restarting mail sometimes works, but often I need to close the Winmail process (process manager) and then restart. Is there a solution to this? -- JeanDanc Make sure you have installed Vista's SP1 and SP2 updates. If the problem continues, try running the various repair functions in=20 the WMUtil program: http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil If still no improvement, upgrade to Windows Live Mail: http://download.live.com/wlmail=20 =20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP pro...

Strange behavior #3
Hello. I use Outlook 2003 with a internal pop/smtp server (Merak). Using Oulook 2003 (it's the case for all users in the company), when we send mails to internal addresses, in the recipient mailbox our address doesn't appear, we are considered as ghost users! But, if on the same PC we use another email client (Outlook express for example), the mail arrives with my address as sender! Does anyone feel a ghostbuster? Thanks by advance. ...

Contents of mail folders gone
Eeek, moved a folder called "Upcoming Events" from one account to my new Outlook Exchange account. The individual directories are there but the actual emails within are missing. Please help me find them? Thanks in advance, Jo how did you move them? are you sure you're not looking at a filtered view of that folder? -- Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com www.deskdoctors.com Are you sick of bad email practice? Get a copy of my paper "Implementing Email Policy" from the Desk Doctors website. "Boppy" <therealboppy@yahoo.com> wrote ...