SSL Sending via IMAP Configuration?

I'm trying to configure Exchange2003 to be able to send emails from
outside IPs using IMAP with SSL.  I can receive IMAP mail over SSL no
problem.  I don't want to use any VPNs for this if possible.

Has anyone have any Exchange configuration settings to allow outside
IP's (like home users DSL) to be able to send IMAP email over SSL?

0
google2 (17)

Ed <google2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to configure Exchange2003 to be able to send emails from
>outside IPs using IMAP with SSL.  I can receive IMAP mail over SSL no
>problem.  I don't want to use any VPNs for this if possible.

Since IMAP is a client protocol, used to receive messages from a
mailbox, it seems that you've accomplished what you want to do.

If you want an IMAP client to SEND messages then you'll be using SMTP
to do that and the choices are made at the client, not the server. All
the server needs is an installed x.509v3 certificate on the SMTP
virtual server. With that done, the STARTTLS and TLS keywords are
advertised in the response to the EHLO command from the client.

>Has anyone have any Exchange configuration settings to allow outside
>IP's (like home users DSL) to be able to send IMAP email over SSL?

You don't send "imap mai", you send SMTP mail.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

What is the difference between TLS and SSL?  I couldn't get Outlook
Express to work possibly because it doesn't offer TLS?????

Any suggestions?

Ed

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:56:14 -0500, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:

>Ed <google2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to configure Exchange2003 to be able to send emails from
>>outside IPs using IMAP with SSL.  I can receive IMAP mail over SSL no
>>problem.  I don't want to use any VPNs for this if possible.
>
>Since IMAP is a client protocol, used to receive messages from a
>mailbox, it seems that you've accomplished what you want to do.
>
>If you want an IMAP client to SEND messages then you'll be using SMTP
>to do that and the choices are made at the client, not the server. All
>the server needs is an installed x.509v3 certificate on the SMTP
>virtual server. With that done, the STARTTLS and TLS keywords are
>advertised in the response to the EHLO command from the client.
>
>>Has anyone have any Exchange configuration settings to allow outside
>>IP's (like home users DSL) to be able to send IMAP email over SSL?
>
>You don't send "imap mai", you send SMTP mail.

0
google2 (17)
1/5/2005 4:17:43 PM
The option to use TLS becomes available on the server end once you install a
certificate on the SMTP virtual server (an x509 certificate enables TLS once
installed).

Outlook Express does support using SSL through SMTP.  Go to the mail
accounts Advanced tab and check "This server requires a secure connection
(SSL)".

"Ed" wrote:

> I have my IMAP client working using Netscape Imap and also a Palm
> Pilot using VersaMail.  I noticed that I am using TLS but couldn't get
> SSL to work.
>
> What is the difference between TLS and SSL?  I couldn't get Outlook
> Express to work possibly because it doesn't offer TLS?????
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Ed
>

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:56:14 -0500, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
> <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
>
> >Ed <google2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm trying to configure Exchange2003 to be able to send emails from
> >>outside IPs using IMAP with SSL.  I can receive IMAP mail over SSL no
> >>problem.  I don't want to use any VPNs for this if possible.
> >
> >Since IMAP is a client protocol, used to receive messages from a
> >mailbox, it seems that you've accomplished what you want to do.
> >
> >If you want an IMAP client to SEND messages then you'll be using SMTP
> >to do that and the choices are made at the client, not the server. All
> >the server needs is an installed x.509v3 certificate on the SMTP
> >virtual server. With that done, the STARTTLS and TLS keywords are
> >advertised in the response to the EHLO command from the client.
> >
> >>Has anyone have any Exchange configuration settings to allow outside
> >>IP's (like home users DSL) to be able to send IMAP email over SSL?
> >
> >You don't send "imap mai", you send SMTP mail.

0
Steven (151)
1/5/2005 5:37:03 PM
Ed <google2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have my IMAP client working using Netscape Imap and also a Palm
>Pilot using VersaMail.  I noticed that I am using TLS but couldn't get
>SSL to work.
>
>What is the difference between TLS and SSL?

SSL is a Netscape invention. TLS is not. :)

>I couldn't get Outlook
>Express to work possibly because it doesn't offer TLS?????

It's very possible that OE doesn't use TLS.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thanks

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:27:12 -0800, Ed <google2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to configure Exchange2003 to be able to send emails from
>outside IPs using IMAP with SSL.  I can receive IMAP mail over SSL no
>problem.  I don't want to use any VPNs for this if possible.
>
>Has anyone have any Exchange configuration settings to allow outside
>IP's (like home users DSL) to be able to send IMAP email over SSL?

0
google2 (17)
1/13/2005 5:18:56 PM
SMTP TLS is done in-band on port 23.

--
Evan Dodds
Microsoft Exchange Support

****** Disclaimer ******

Note: Please do not reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

"Ed" <google2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Which port to I use for sending?  It will be sending from SMTP TLS.
> Should I use 995, 465??
>
> Thanks
>

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:27:12 -0800, Ed <google2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to configure Exchange2003 to be able to send emails from
>>outside IPs using IMAP with SSL.  I can receive IMAP mail over SSL no
>>problem.  I don't want to use any VPNs for this if possible.
>>
>>Has anyone have any Exchange configuration settings to allow outside
>>IP's (like home users DSL) to be able to send IMAP email over SSL?

0
evand (114)
1/13/2005 5:30:57 PM
where do I configure the server to use port 23 for this?

Ed

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:30:57 -0500, "Evan Dodds [MSFT]"
<evand@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>SMTP TLS is done in-band on port 23.

0
google2 (17)
1/13/2005 5:39:23 PM
Whoops. My apologies. I typed 23 when I meant to type 25 -- the standard
SMTP port!

    "SMTP TLS is done in-band on (TCP) port 25."

No need to configure a port specially, if you install a certificate on the
SMTP virtual server, you can start to use the STARTTLS functionality without
any other changes. I suggest that if you leave Basic Authentication enabled
(within the Authentication option on the "Access" tab) that you ensure the
"Require TLS Encryption" checkbox is also checked. This will ensure that
nobody will get in the habit of not using TLS for their authentication.

Note that this is different than the "Require Secure Channel" checkbox
within the Communications button on the "Access" tab. If you check this one
and it's your only SMTP virtual server, it will stop your Internet email
flow since most SMTP servers on the Internet don't do TLS.

--

> where do I configure the server to use port 23 for this?
>
> Ed
>

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:30:57 -0500, "Evan Dodds [MSFT]"
> <evand@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>SMTP TLS is done in-band on port 23.

0
evand (114)
1/13/2005 11:24:55 PM
"Evan Dodds [MSFT]" <evand@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Whoops. My apologies. I typed 23 when I meant to type 25 -- the standard
>SMTP port!

Whew! I was surprised to see that telnet became SMTP! :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Seeing the "From" field when sending mail
I have several email accounts that I use with outlook and would like to be able to see the "From" field when I am sending a new email to someone. I can see the "To", "Cc", "Bcc" and the "Subject" but not sure how, if possible, to add the "From" field so I can easily change the email account I want to send the email from. Thanks. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ In our office, we open a New Mes...

Can't send email through Exchange
I am merely taking care of my small office's network and don't know much about what I am going to ask, but here goes. Yesterday, we switched ISP's from Direcway (we are in the Balkans) to cable modem . The interenet is working great throughout the network BUT we aren't now able to send email OUT but CAN receive email. Here is the message we are getting: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: thanks Sent: 22/11/2006 09:12 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Matt and Rachael Piercey on 22/11/2006 09:12 You do not have permissi...

Bluetooth transfer wizard won't send files
So recently, my bluetooth transfer wizard won't send files to my phone. I've done it hundreds of times before, but I get a strange error whenever I try. I can still receive files from my phone. When I load the wizard and tell it I want to send a file, it gives me a list of bluetooth devices, where it used to give me the option to search for them. Anyone else have this issue, or a fix for it? I wanted to reinstall/update the drivers, but I can't find them. I think the transfer wizard is fsquirt.exe, but I wasn't sure where to get the drivers. Any help please? ...

Renew SSL
Hi, Exchange 2007 on Win2003. The SSL cert is due to expire soon. Is there a recommended renewal procedure, or is it simply creating and installing a new SSL cert before it expires? Any assistance is appreciated. ED. That is pretty much it, you can renew your current certificate with your SSL provider and you should get the new certificate back within 30 min. If you plan on using another CA provider, then it might take a bit longer to authenticate your domain and company. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2010 Microsoft Certified Partner &quo...

include/exclude email account in send/receive
Outlook 2000 had a setting wherein you could include or exclude an email in the send/receive process. I'm not seeing where that option is in Office Outlook 2003. If an certain email address that is listed in an email account setting doesn't exist the send/receive process fail entirely...for that one and all other accounts. This doesn't seem normal What do you mean if an "email address listed in an email account setting doesn't exist?" Clarify the problem you hare having. Automatic polling settings are in Tools > Send/Receive > Send/Receive Settings &g...

Exchange 5.5 SSl SMTP
How to enable SSL on SMTP Protocol on Exchange 5.5 on NT4/ Step by step please. It is very important for me . Best regards for all of You These links will provide some ideas http://www.windowsitpro.com/MicrosoftExchangeOutlook/Article/ArticleID/4869/4869.html http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q175439/ "Pawel" wrote: > How to enable SSL on SMTP Protocol on Exchange 5.5 on NT4/ Step by step > please. It is very important for me . > Best regards for all of You > > > ...

how to check if SSL or SASL is enabled at customer side or not ?
Hi All, While connecting to AD via JNDI, I am getting a error like: javax.naming.AuthenticationNotSupportedException: [LDAP: error code 8 - 00002028: LdapErr: DSID-0C0901FC, comment: The server requires binds to turn on integrity checking if SSL\TLS are not already active on the connection, data 0, v1771] From googling what I came across is, this will be thrown when a particular flavor of authentication requested is not supported. It may be specified using specific authentication schemes such those identified using SASL. And I also got a hint that, the solution would be to use e...

Cannot send from Outlook on laptop
Have been trying to set up Outlook on my new laptop. I'm sure everything is properly configured for gmail. When I run the settings self-test, it will do everything but send the test message. It says my e-mail address field is incorrect, but it isn't. I've contacted Comcast. They had no clue. I'm thinking this may have to do with wireless? I have a Netgear router. A secured connection. But it doesn't even work when I have the laptop docked. Thoughts? Kimberly EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com If your new laptop is XP...

VIRUS? : Sending Emails
Over the past few days I've gotten several 'mail undeliverable' messages which I'm convinced are legitimate. They have all the proper tagging from my ISP, and the format and layout is all correct etc. Problem is I never sent any of these emails, I fear my computer is being used to send spam! Anyone have any information on this, please? If requested I can email a copy of an email I received like this one. Thx in advance, J.R. It is a virus indeed but you don't have to be infected yourself. A virus searches on the infected computer for a "From" and "To&q...

Error sending e-mail
In Outlook (2002), I can send e-mail normally using address book,type-in address, etc. But on rrofessional organization boards, Monster, etc. When I click on the e- mail address I want to send mail to I get "Can't create the item" errors. It's happening in Outlook and Outlook Express on my system. Any ideas??? Make sure you have Outlook set as your default program in Control Panel-> Internet Options-> tab Programs -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service ...

Send Mail with Lotus Notes
I noticed that, now that I'm using Notes as my email client, the Send Now and Mail Recipient options are not available to me. If I try to add wither of these buttons to a toolbar or menu, they disappear as soon as I close the Customize dialog. I did a quick search through the newsgroup, and I see that people are sending Notes emails from within Excel. Anybody know why those options would not stay on my copy of Excel (2002 SP-3)? Oddly enough, I can send a book for review. -- tj Hi ??????? Check out this first http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm See also the link for Notes ex...

sending e-mail 06-26-10
When inserting an address from my contact group, the SEND button does not appear. It is ok when setting the address in directly. Can anyone advise please? Inserting an address where exactly? Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "jack861070 - BT Total Broadband email account" wrote in message news:uqn#i$XFLHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... When inserting an address from my contact group, the SEND button does not appear. It is ok when setting the address in directly. Can anyone advise please? ...

SSL
Why can't I send using SSL? I can receive messages but can't send. I've asked everyone I know for help, but everyone has a different idea. I've tried everything I can think of. Is there an Outlook glitch I don't know about? Are you trying to use SSL on a non-standard SMTP port? (e.g. Non-standard SMTP port means that the account is configured to try and send e-mail on a port that does not equal 25 or 465.) "Garth" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02af01c4f236$60d95c70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Why can't I send usin...

Unable to send mail
When I click on an e-mail address, i.e sessert@verizon.com , I get an error message, i.e. "The mail program was unable to send mail". Also IE6 TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, PROGRAMS does not show programs for E-mail: and Newsgroups:, and I'm unable to enter the programs I'm using, i.e. Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express 6. I'm running XP Home and all programs are upto date. Any advice, please. Steve Steve Pine wrote: > When I click on an e-mail address, i.e sessert@verizon.com , I get an > error message, i.e. "The mail program was unable to send mail". &g...

Ex2K3
When a user outside our domain sends mail to a public folder email address, it comes through as a post. When a user in AD sends to the same email address via Outlook, it comes through as an email. Does anyone have an idea on how to get outside emails to appear as emails in a public folder? There was a hotfix and regkey that you could set for 2000 to get around this. I was just looking and it did NOT make it into E2K3. We have, however, added it to the codebase for SP1. -- Cheers, Steve Antonio Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, a...

Send and receive #3
I've always used Outlook Express to view my E-mail, but would like to switch to "Microsoft Outlook". When I open "Outlook", there is no "send and receive" button. Can you help? Right-click in a blank area next to Help in the top, gray main menu bar, (not ON Help, out in the open next to it!) and make sure "standard" is checked in the menu that pops up. Most users like to have the "Advanced" checked also to give them more button options. >-----Original Message----- >I've always used Outlook Express to view my E-mail, but ...

Help, Transferring XML data under SSL
I need some advice on how to securely transfer data between two servers. Here is the situation. We have two sql servers that hold student data. I have full access to my sql server, but only write access to the main sql server on campus. I hope to use XML and SSL to transfer student data to the main server. As for generating the XML, I'll have an asp.net page set up in a secure directory that will generate the data in xml format. The data people will access this page and get the xml file with all the data. What's the best way to turn a sql server table into XML format? W...

Microsoft Outlook 2000 Not sending .doc files to some people
I can send .doc files only to some people, this just happened today out of the blue. Some people get the files fine and others do not. I am NOT running MS exchange, we are directly connected to the Internet. We are running Windows 2000 sp4 etc. We are running AVG virus program, shouldn't have any interference with E-mail issues, Any Ideas? Thanks, Steve ...

SSL for IMAP and SMTP
We run Exchange 2003 and want to be able to encrypt messages while people are on the road. I have read the KB 319278 (IMAP) and KB 823019 (SMTP) on how to do this. My question is do I need to different virtual servers for both (internal messaging we don't need SSL) and External (SSL needed)? I don't want to go ahead and encrypt the current virtual servers and have a ton a people calling saying they need to reconfigured their mail clients. Only those who we need to encypt on the road would we set up for secure encryption. Am I going about this in the right way? Thanks in advance....

e2k7 send connector
Hello, Does anyone know what this error message is meaning : "Source server 'MAIL2' is not from the connector's source routing group." The funning this is that when i press the add button this is the only server that is displayed. I'm running in co-existens with e2k and now i have move all mail from that server and want to shut i down for the last time.. But i cannot remove it from the Send Connector... Kind Regards Ren� Hi is Mail2 the new Exchange 2007 server or the old X2K server? if its the old one, it should not be possible that the X2K server is a source...

Configuring SSL and Exchange SSL
This is a series questions and answers, I need help configuring SSL? >-----Original Message----- >Client has this. This was kept in a .PWL file in older versions of >Windows - not sure about the current versions. > >You can enable Forms Based Authentication to prevent this if you have >Exchange 2003 and SSL. > >-- >Hope that helps, >Dan Townsend > >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. >Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. > >Use of included script samples...

sending mail between exchange servers
Dear All > > I have setup two exchange servers 2003 become Master and Member in a > domain active directory. (We can view from Administrative Groups -> > First Administrative Group -> Routing Groups -> Member). The problem > is, user from master server cannot send email to user in member server > and the same thing problem to the other way around. > > > I've setup Master exchange server become Internet Mail SMTP Connector > , to send and receive email to the internet. or anywhere can I refer > for Administrating Exchange 2003? > >...

Put the GD "send" button back how do you send the GD mail?
how do you send friggin email? where is the daym Send !!!!! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=129961bc-2dc6-44c0-b388-a3a62e527f05&dg=microsoft.public.outlook Calm down! The send bu...

Simple question about OWA with SSL and two Exchange 2003 servers
I have installed a couple of Exchange 2003 servers on a test-domain and created a few mailboxes on each. OWA is configured with SSL and the firewall is configured to route 443 to one of the servers. OWA works perfect for all users with mailbox on this server, but for users with mailboxes on the other server, I only get an error (Page can not be found)... I�v installed the CA on both servers and generated one certificat for each server (is this correct?) Both servers are 2003 domain controllers I have tried to make on of the servers a "front end server" (the one that the fire...

Configuring against Dictionary attacks.
Hi all, Probably a basic question, but I just can't seem to find an answer to it. We have a Symantec SMTP Gateway set up with our exchange 2000 server in behind that. We are getting huge volumes of Dictionary type spam bogging down the system. I'd like to beable to have exchange drop the bogus user names coming in and not send out NDR's to those bogas users - clogging up the SMSSMTP server. Thanks for any suggestions/instructions on this setup. Barry Hello Barry, What version of Exchange are you using? If it is Ex 2003, you can configure it not to accept emails for inval...