sqlservr.exe process and memory usage

sqlservr.exe keeps going up and up all the time on our exchange 2003 box.
can I just start and restart the process? How big should it get? What's it
used for?

I see 4 instances of it. also, Backup exec is on this machine. Thanks for
any info on this. I'm trying to figure out what's eating memory up.

Thanks.

0
fukuzz (18)

Backup Exec installs a small instance of SQL to keep it's jobs and other
info it uses in, this database isn't normally very big but any SQL instance
will take as much RAM as it can by default.

It's probably worth setting the BE SQL instance to use a maximum amount or
memory, which can be quite small for BE, say 100-200MB perhaps.

As BE by default installs a MSDE instance you won't have the SQL management
GUI to work with so you'll have to use OSQL.

Here's a link to do the same thing on an ISA box, which is similar to your
situation:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909636

The only thing you'll need is the SQL instance name that BE uses as it won't
be "ServerComputerName\msfw" as in the KB

I can't remember what the BE SQL instance name for BE is I'm afraid as we
use a full install of SQL on our BE server, it may just be a default
instance, but I'm not sure about that.

Peter Lawton

"Bryce" <fukuzz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> sqlservr.exe keeps going up and up all the time on our exchange 2003 box.
> can I just start and restart the process? How big should it get? What's it
> used for?
>
> I see 4 instances of it. also, Backup exec is on this machine. Thanks for
> any info on this. I'm trying to figure out what's eating memory up.
>
> Thanks.

0
nobody3824 (15)
4/28/2007 6:15:06 AM
Bryce <fukuzz@hotmail.com> wrote:
> sqlservr.exe keeps going up and up all the time on our exchange 2003
> box. can I just start and restart the process? How big should it get?
> What's it used for?
>
> I see 4 instances of it. also, Backup exec is on this machine. Thanks
> for any info on this. I'm trying to figure out what's eating memory
> up.
> Thanks.

That isn't an Exchange process; Exchange doesn't use SQL. Do you have SQL
Server installed? If not, this is MSDE. (BackupExec uses either SQL or
MSDE).  You might post in a SQL or Windows server group for more help, but
you'll need to provide more info as to what is actually running on this
server.

0
lanwench (7567)

OT
Hi Guys, Sorry about the offtopic message. I have an old exe (16 bit). Don't have the source. I want to step throught the exe. I tried loading it in VS 2003 and even 4.1 but couldn't get it to do it. I remember doing that with exe's back in DOS days. Opening the exe in TASM and stepping through the exe. Does anyone know of a program that will let me do this? Ali "AliR" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message news:4464e25b$0$23762$a8266bb1@reader.corenews.com... > Hi Guys, > > Sorry about the offtopic message. > > I have an old exe (16 bit). Don...

Execute dlls in seperate process
Hi I have .NET dll written in C# It's have a many classes and have many clients that use this dll. Now i have request to run this dll out-of-process without change the clients! I don't know if there is simple way to do it (like in VB6 just to change dll to ActiveX EXE) Any suggestions ? Thanks Michaelov, Itzik wrote: > Hi > > I have .NET dll written in C# > It's have a many classes and have many clients that use this dll. > Now i have request to run this dll out-of-process without change the > clients! > I don't know if there is ...

ping check without ping.exe?
possible with vbs? thanks. "Tyler Durden" <abuse@antispam.org> wrote in message news:uNSaqjdoKHA.5696@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > possible with vbs? thanks. You can use the Win32_PingStatus class of WMI. See the third example program linked in this page: http://www.rlmueller.net/PingComputers.htm -- Richard Mueller MVP Directory Services Hilltop Lab - http://www.rlmueller.net -- worked as expected, I hope that this help others too. thanks :) "Richard Mueller [MVP]" <rlmueller-nospam@ameritech.nospam.net> wrote in messag...

RptSvr32.exe and frxpdfsvr.exe
FRX Report Server RptSvr32.exe and the process frxpdfsvr.exe should run as a service. It should not require that server consoles are left logged in for it to run. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/N...

How to limit store.exe and sqlservr.exe's RAM hunger
I know that store.exe should release memory when other applications ask for it, but in my server, store.exe and sqlservr.exe both fight for the most, and leave little for other applications. I have 3 GB RAM and currently 3,6 GB PF usage. This means I hear the harddisk being busy the whole time when accessing applications. What can be done to change the amount of RAM used for store.exe and sqlservr.exe ? Thanks On 21 Nov 2006 12:32:20 -0800, "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote: >I know that store.exe should release memory when other applications ask >for it, but in my se...

MSPUB.exe generates system errors
I attempt to launch a Publisher documnent and it gives an error "MSPUB.exe has generated errors and will shut down". What would cause this? I am running Windows 2000 sp4 and Office 2000 Professional sp3???? kevin wrote: > I attempt to launch a Publisher documnent and it gives an > error "MSPUB.exe has generated errors and will shut > down". What would cause this? I am running Windows 2000 > sp4 and Office 2000 Professional sp3???? ============================= Maybe the following KB article will offer some ideas: (243820) PUB2000 Errors When Saving Publication...

Process Hold
Is there any way to make GP version 10 show only the documents on hold while removing the hold instead of showing all documents , it is misleading for the user Regards -- aboody Dear aboody I understand your question. When You are inserting Type by invoice and click Restrictions, the system displays all the invoices irrespective of the fact whether it is on hold or not and it is difficult to identify which transactions are on hold that need to be removed and so on. I'd suggest a workaround to you for identifying the Process Holds easily. Create a Batch that is deidcated to Process H...

CACLS command for cmd.exe?
I nee help with the cacls command. I can lock a file but cannot unlock a file? Or do you have to be the admin to unlock a file? ...

Svhost.exe using 100% Processor on XP Professional
I have one desktop that is running XP Professional SP3 on a server 2003 Domain, all security patches are up to date, all systems run Symentec Endpoint Protection 11.0.5. This one system starting using 100% processor for svhost.exe when the system boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is using all of the processor, end that task, and the user is back in business. I saw some information on the net that is may be a virus --- I boot the machine up in safe mode, with system restore off, ran a full scan and no threats, also ran a full scan while n...

Error 0x80040110 Outlook.pst PST2GB.EXE
Apparently file outlook.pst got corrupted somehow. Not I just get error message as above and a "cyclic redundacy check" comment. Part of the posted remedy is to run a program called "pst2gb.exe". Does anyone know where to get this program? Do I have to phone Microsoft?! Thx. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296088 -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to recent events in spam and malicious programs, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "shadow" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:788901c3...

debugging memory leak in mfc
My debug build of program dumps the following in the trace when terminated: Detected memory leaks! Dumping objects -> {153} normal block at 0x00386AA8, 12 bytes long. Data: <hh8 > 68 68 38 00 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 {152} normal block at 0x00386A68, 16 bytes long. Data: < > 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 Where do I start looking for the memory leak? Is there any way to track the address to a corresponding object? Try using this: http://www.codeproject.com/tools/visualleakdetector.asp U�ytkownik "Pesso" <pesso@no.where> napi...

sqlservr.exe taking all RAM
I'm running DPM2007 SP1 x64 with hf 976542 installed running on Win2k3 SP2 R2 x64 on a HP DL380 G5 dual quad-core 3.18Ghz with 8GB RAM and the sqlservr.exe process consumes all the available RAM within 2 - 3 hours of (re-)starting the server. The whole server grinds on until i restart it, I've left it grinding away for days and the RAM is not released and without fail within 2 -3 hours of starting the box, the sqlservr.exe process will consume all the available RAM (5 - 6GB showing in task manager). Any ideas for resolution would be greatly appreciated, cheers Hey, ...

sqlservr.exe process and memory usage #2
sqlservr.exe keeps going up and up all the time on our exchange 2003 box. can I just start and restart the process? How big should it get? What's it used for? I see 4 instances of it. also, Backup exec is on this machine. Thanks for any info on this. I'm trying to figure out what's eating memory up. Thanks. "Bryce" <fukuzz@hotmail.com> wrote: >sqlservr.exe keeps going up and up all the time on our exchange 2003 box. >can I just start and restart the process? You can kill it if you like. It's not used by Exchange. >How big should it get? ...

Unhandled execption in ariel.exe(APIOCX):0xC0000005 :Access violation
Can you help me to find out the mistake i am doing while calling the dll............... i am really thankful to you for your time and support.... "Unhandled execption in ariel.exe(APIOCX):0xC0000005 :Access violation" whenever i debug my code i got this error.... Dll function : short setQuoteToDB( BSTR* strDateTimeStamp, short* intMarketNo, BSTR* strMarketName, BSTR* strBid, BSTR* strAsk, short* intMarketState); code: typedef int (CALLBACK* Set_Quote_DB) (unsigned short**, short*, ...

Outlook .exe file
I want to be able to open Outlook from within another program, but I need the path to Outlook to do so. What is the name of the Outlook .exe file (I can find it through Search). Outlook.exe. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, John asked: | I want to be able to open Outlook from within another | program, but I need the path to Outlook to do so. What is ...

Register ActiveX EXE
How do I register ActiveX EXEs that I have moved from one PC to another? I do not want to have to recompile them every time. I tried creating the .reg file that usually registers .dll but that does not work. I am on Vista. If I double-click the .reg file it says it is doing it. But then when I right-click on the ActiveX EXE i do not see a menu item for the .reg. yes, because one is for .ocx and the other for .dll but i have none for .exe Vista has a menu item to register the .exe but when I try that it opens a dialog to select the main program that uses the ActiveX Exe. I s...

excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows.
excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program Bill, Could you be a bit more specific about this message? When do you get it? What are you doing when it occurs? What version of Excel are you using? Have you applied all applicable service packs? Does this occur only with one workbook? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "bill bootle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0e9501c3b410$46e5af40$a301280a@phx.gbl... > excel.exe has gener...

processing my mail at another PC
i have cable wanadoo broadband basic/ sitecom router DC202 V3/ windows XP on the main PC ( outlook express 6.0 ) and just yesterday i connected another PC to the network ( windows 2000 pro outlook 6.0 ). how can i arrange all this so that i can read and edit my mail from which ever PC I'm at? Thanks John I could'nt find the FAQ's, ... I dont believe you can sync mail between two different apps. You would I believe need to use either OE or OL on both "john" <kade108NOSPAM@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:4125c73b$0$8025$ee9da40f@news.wanadoo.nl... > i ha...

Sales Order Processing new order notification
I would like to suggest that a modication be made to notify a user when a customer places an order via an electronic interface - whether it is EDI or the web. It would currently help our inside sales force if we had this capability. For example, when a customer place an order via our web-site or via EDI, the inside sales rep that is responsible for that customer gets a business alert or some form of notification (e-mail) that notifies them that an order has been placed. The modification should be flexible enough to assign specific users to specific customers. ---------------- This...

Inter Process Communications
Hi, I need to develop a system which consists of a UI application and an another server process which sends and receives messages from a modem. I do not need to implement the serial communications as someone else will. Also most of the UI will be implemented by someone else. The thing I need to implement is the communication between the two processes. That is sending and receiving messages from the server process. What are the ways I can achieve this, using sockets? Are there any examples of implementing something similar to my problem anywhere on the web or can someone explain how I...

MAPISP32.exe genned errors
W2k sp4 with Office2k on desktop system. I was getting ready to shut-down last nite when I got: "MAPISP32.exe genned errors ..." Outlook had been loaded all day. I wasn't doing anything with it when the error occurred. Running only POP3, SMTP, I think. Today Outlook seems kinda funny. Reaction time somewhat unpredictable, etc. Any idea what could be wrong? Thx, P "Law Without Equity Is No Law At All. It Is A Form Of Jungle Rule." How large is your PST? Have you scanned it for errors? -- Kathleen Orland "Puddin' Man" &...

Msexcimc.exe
I have a single Exchange server 5.5 (with the latest sp) on NT4 server in our domain, and am running into a problem that I can't seem to find a solution. I get a msexcimc.exe caused an access violation error 0xc0000005 address 0x0044bf88 or 0xc00000005 address 0x0044bf0b and a Dr. Watson error is being generated. But no Dr. Watson error was created. What is happening is that the IMC service is stopping. Had the debugger on, but when the msexcimc error occured, I get the following error, An unexpected failure occurred while processing a DebugActiveProcess API request. This could...

Webcompserver.exe 100 %
I have a problem with af process called webcompserver.exe utilizing almost 100% cpu. The server is af SBS 2003 Premium with 2 2.8 mhz xeon processors. The process is as I can tell a Crystal report one, anyone who have an idea of whats going on ?? Jack ...

Macros-start dynamics, run process and exit
I have recorded a macro that logs into dynamics, rebulds a sales forecast combination and then is supposed to exit (close out) Dynamics Everything works fine, except Dynamics GP does not exit at the end. When I recorded the macro I did go through the 'Exit' to close Dynamics, but when the macro runs, it does not exit and there are no windows open or messages. i have added the logging file to the macro also. Am I missing something? thanks! -- Doug Doug, Your macro must include the following line to be able to quit GP. CommandExec form BuiLtin command cmdQuitApplication ...

How do i move publisher exe files back to there orginal place
I moved my publisher files and publisher exe files into my documents by accident. I then tried to drag them back to publisher. They moved back but are not working.It says setup tried to use an invalid path using G:/propack/mspub/ and ms pub.exe. I tried to run the set up and it comes up with the same message. Could anybody please help. Thank you Amanda What version? PUB2000: Error Message: Cannot Start Publisher by Clicking Shortcut Icon http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;212551 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://ms...