Special local and external email permissions

I posted this already, but I cant find my post.. i dont think it went through

im running e2k3

I need to restrict certain people to local email sending and recieving at
certain times, and those same people need to have full access to "outside"
sending and recieving.  Needs change daily.  Our company is using outlook for
project/task managing and we need people to be able to update their tasks and
communicate to each other, yet restrict their outgoing mail at times, while
enabling it at others... Ive read this ...
://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF025.html
but it seems too cumbersome and complicated to be switching back and forth
often.

Any suggestions?

-Ben

0
Ben108 (4)

I probably shouldn't say this, but that is one WEIRD requirement.  And since
I don't understand the reasoning behind it, I can only talk in broad terms.
If you have an e-mail gateway that handles internet inbound and outbound,
you might be able to set up rules on that to restict outbound during certain
times.  Since it seems to be for only some people, and not all, then
something like the E-Mail Firewall at http://www.tumbleweed.com  could do
that.....

Or you could put all of those users on a seperate exchange server, and just
stop the Information Stores for a period of time each day....

I don't know why anyone would want to do this though...

"Ben108" <Ben108@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted this already, but I cant find my post.. i dont think it went
>through
>
> im running e2k3
>
> I need to restrict certain people to local email sending and recieving at
> certain times, and those same people need to have full access to "outside"
> sending and recieving.  Needs change daily.  Our company is using outlook
> for
> project/task managing and we need people to be able to update their tasks
> and
> communicate to each other, yet restrict their outgoing mail at times,
> while
> enabling it at others... Ive read this ...
> ://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF025.html
> but it seems too cumbersome and complicated to be switching back and forth
> often.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> -Ben

0
tfelts1 (344)
3/16/2005 7:48:01 PM
well i have pretty unique situation to say the least... simply put, people
get monitored personal email access 1 time per week, the rest of the time, we
need to restrict permissions so that people arent distracted from their
work... Since both internal and external email can be work related, we run
into issues.. people need special permission changes often...  We have
thought of giving people two different usernames/exchange accounts, but were
looking for more simple/integrated options...

-Ben

"Tom Felts" wrote:

> I probably shouldn't say this, but that is one WEIRD requirement.  And since
> I don't understand the reasoning behind it, I can only talk in broad terms.
> If you have an e-mail gateway that handles internet inbound and outbound,
> you might be able to set up rules on that to restict outbound during certain
> times.  Since it seems to be for only some people, and not all, then
> something like the E-Mail Firewall at http://www.tumbleweed.com  could do
> that.....
>
> Or you could put all of those users on a seperate exchange server, and just
> stop the Information Stores for a period of time each day....
>
> I don't know why anyone would want to do this though...
>

> "Ben108" <Ben108@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I posted this already, but I cant find my post.. i dont think it went
> >through
> >
> > im running e2k3
> >
> > I need to restrict certain people to local email sending and recieving at
> > certain times, and those same people need to have full access to "outside"
> > sending and recieving.  Needs change daily.  Our company is using outlook
> > for
> > project/task managing and we need people to be able to update their tasks
> > and
> > communicate to each other, yet restrict their outgoing mail at times,
> > while
> > enabling it at others... Ive read this ...
> > ://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF025.html
> > but it seems too cumbersome and complicated to be switching back and forth
> > often.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > -Ben

0
Ben108 (4)
3/16/2005 8:05:04 PM
Create multiple SMTP connectors.  Then create groups with the people it that
you want to prohibit sending at the specific times and add the groups to the
connectors.  Then you stop or start the appropriate connector depending upon
time of day.  Kind of cumbersome, but I think it would work.

"Ben108" wrote:

> well i have pretty unique situation to say the least... simply put, people
> get monitored personal email access 1 time per week, the rest of the time, we
> need to restrict permissions so that people arent distracted from their
> work... Since both internal and external email can be work related, we run
> into issues.. people need special permission changes often...  We have
> thought of giving people two different usernames/exchange accounts, but were
> looking for more simple/integrated options...
>
> -Ben
>
> "Tom Felts" wrote:
>
> > I probably shouldn't say this, but that is one WEIRD requirement.  And since
> > I don't understand the reasoning behind it, I can only talk in broad terms.
> > If you have an e-mail gateway that handles internet inbound and outbound,
> > you might be able to set up rules on that to restict outbound during certain
> > times.  Since it seems to be for only some people, and not all, then
> > something like the E-Mail Firewall at http://www.tumbleweed.com  could do
> > that.....
> >
> > Or you could put all of those users on a seperate exchange server, and just
> > stop the Information Stores for a period of time each day....
> >
> > I don't know why anyone would want to do this though...
> >

> > "Ben108" <Ben108@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I posted this already, but I cant find my post.. i dont think it went
> > >through
> > >
> > > im running e2k3
> > >
> > > I need to restrict certain people to local email sending and recieving at
> > > certain times, and those same people need to have full access to "outside"
> > > sending and recieving.  Needs change daily.  Our company is using outlook
> > > for
> > > project/task managing and we need people to be able to update their tasks
> > > and
> > > communicate to each other, yet restrict their outgoing mail at times,
> > > while
> > > enabling it at others... Ive read this ...
> > > ://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF025.html
> > > but it seems too cumbersome and complicated to be switching back and forth
> > > often.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > -Ben

0
MikeC1 (42)
3/16/2005 9:29:07 PM
that may be the only way... im not familiar with connectors so i dont know
their capabilities.  Knowing they are start/stop oriented helps though,
thanks.

Maybe someone else has some ideas too?

- Ben

"Mike C" wrote:

> Create multiple SMTP connectors.  Then create groups with the people it that
> you want to prohibit sending at the specific times and add the groups to the
> connectors.  Then you stop or start the appropriate connector depending upon
> time of day.  Kind of cumbersome, but I think it would work.
>
> "Ben108" wrote:
>
> > well i have pretty unique situation to say the least... simply put, people
> > get monitored personal email access 1 time per week, the rest of the time, we
> > need to restrict permissions so that people arent distracted from their
> > work... Since both internal and external email can be work related, we run
> > into issues.. people need special permission changes often...  We have
> > thought of giving people two different usernames/exchange accounts, but were
> > looking for more simple/integrated options...
> >
> > -Ben
> >
> > "Tom Felts" wrote:
> >
> > > I probably shouldn't say this, but that is one WEIRD requirement.  And since
> > > I don't understand the reasoning behind it, I can only talk in broad terms.
> > > If you have an e-mail gateway that handles internet inbound and outbound,
> > > you might be able to set up rules on that to restict outbound during certain
> > > times.  Since it seems to be for only some people, and not all, then
> > > something like the E-Mail Firewall at http://www.tumbleweed.com  could do
> > > that.....
> > >
> > > Or you could put all of those users on a seperate exchange server, and just
> > > stop the Information Stores for a period of time each day....
> > >
> > > I don't know why anyone would want to do this though...
> > >

> > > "Ben108" <Ben108@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Ben108 (4)

Special Characters
Is there a quick way to convert all special characters to XML format for example '&' to &amp; or '+' sign to ? ? MAF wrote: > Is there a quick way to convert all special characters to XML format for > example '&' to &amp; or '+' sign to ? ? '&' needs to be escaped as &amp; but the '+' sign does not need to be escaped in XML. How you do it depends on the .NET APIs you use, if you use an XmlTextWriter to create XML then the WriteString method for instance does the escaping for you. If you use the DOM th...

Local Delivery #3
Hi, We need to disable local deliver on exchnage, we want to disable Local Delivery for all mail that are sent internally and send them insteed thru SMTP. Any idea? ----------------------- Marcin S. what is the objective? what version Exchange? SMTP is the default protocol for Exchange 2000/2003... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Marcin S." <MarcinS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1304F974-48A6-4B5A-B613-560A3BFE42FA@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > We need to disable local deliver on exchnage, we want to disable Local > Delivery for all mail that are...

Empty email....Message is revealed only upon reply-to
Hello All, I've got a strange problem. Scenario is Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 Server. Email received from a customer seems to be blank. Without test. But If I make a replay-to text appears in the message. I've checked encoding and it's ok. There's a trick? Thanks Stefano ...

Where are older inbox emails?
Inbox messages older than a couple of days have dissappeared. I have now disabled the Autoarchive but cannot find them in the data file folder either. Where do I look for them? Check your Views PS Even if they were Archived, they will still be available to 'see' if you open the Archive "Louise" <Louise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3575C485-29CE-4CAB-BA9D-5AF59B0714C6@microsoft.com... > Inbox messages older than a couple of days have dissappeared. I have now > disabled the Autoarchive but cannot find them in the data file folder > eith...

Can't Copy and Paste or Paste Special between Excel Workbooks
We have a number of Excel users in our office who cannot copy and paste between Excel workbooks. They can copy and paste between worksheets. When you highlight the section to copy and then go to the new workbook both the paste and paste special are "grayed out". This is true whether you right-click the mouse, go to the edit menu, or use control keys. This occurs with any data type and the most simple workbooks. I have seen some suggestions here but none have worked for this particular problem. I have reset the menus and renamed the .xlb files and neither helps. You can open t...

Change the local delivery
Hi All, I'm migrating from Exchange 2k to Exchange 2k3 I have about 35 users on the old e2k server and I'm alone on the new e2k3 server. The AD structure is completed with all my 35 users but they still not have mailbox created. When I try to send a local mail I got a : "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 17/01/2006 12:29 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'xxxxx' on 17/01/2006 12:24 The message could not be delivered because the recipient's destination email syste...

outlook and HTML email
I use Outlook for my POP3 yahoo account. I have set outlook to send email in HTML format. When the recipient see the email in web browser he complains that my email message has lots of line breaks...it does not look the way I had composed (fonts colors are okay only addded line breaks).....but when the same mail viewed in outlook it looks the way I send it....what could be wrong....??? any ISP issues, settings...?/ anybody knows.... thanks It's likely the view at your recipient's end. If the recipient is using a browser to view mail, he's not using a full client. That w...

I want external HD link to library--HOW?
Songs are backed on external HD. I clicked on advanced options in ADD TO LIBRARY, for FOLDERS TO MONITOR for media files. Added the link to my external...so that MONITORED FOLDERS now supposedly have my songs as E:\NewMUSIC... along with the "automatically added" material from my C drive. HOWEVER--- the player can't find material from either source! WHY? and how to FIX this? thanks. What version of WMP and Windows? If you go to Add to Library again, is the folder you previously added still in the list? If you click OK there and let the process complete, does t...

Make Email Queue Easier to Configure For Group Email Address
Currently when you create an email queue you tie it to an email address. Many companies want their emails to go out using a group email address, like "Sales@company.com", not email addresses of all the employees. So in our situation, which would seem common, we want the queue to capture all incoming mail going to our group address (ex sales). But the only way that's going to happen is if all OUTGOING mail also has that address. We tried setting all users to have the same sales email address so that they could send out email and the from address would automatically be t...

Automate the running of reports, and send by email
We should be able to memorize reports. Schedule it, i.e. everyday every week, every month and automatically send it thru designated e-mail adressess. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrows...

email picture
I have office 2003 installed on windows xp. in IE when you right click and choose email picture I want it to go directly to my hotmail account, NOT via outlook. can outlook be disabled? If you don't use Outlook, simply uninstall it. To set Hotmail as your default mail application use; Control Panel-> Internet Options-> tab Programs -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- ...

Specialized ComboBox
Hi. I'm trying to create a combo box, dropdown style, which will enter the text in the edit field to the list box upon hitting enter key, and allow deletion of items from the list box. I'm affraid i have no clue as to how to do this - i thought about deriving from CComboBox and adding handler to keydown. but no idea as to how to exactly. Help will be much appreciated. Ori, You first need to find out if the user has swapped left & right mouse buttons (GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON)). Then if the user has swapped mouse buttons you need to hook WM_LBUTTONUP, if the user has...

Email Archiving
Hi, Doing some research on email archiving on Exchange Servers. Anyone has an idea whether Exchange 5.5 had some sort of email archiving functionality? Maybe through a SP? Thanks Nich In news:Osv6yGC7FHA.2264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl, Nicholas Aquilina <nickaquilina@hotmail.com> typed: > Hi, > > Doing some research on email archiving on Exchange Servers. > > Anyone has an idea whether Exchange 5.5 had some sort of email > archiving functionality? Maybe through a SP? > > Thanks > > Nich No - E2k/2k3 have "message journaling" that can send a ...

Script for Associating a Mailbox with an external Account
Has anyone got a script that will allow for the "automation" of the "Associate with an External Account" wizard within Exchange 2003. Have to do this 4,500 times and can produce a list of all the relevant information in a CSV Any help will be gratefully received. Simon. --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- "Simon Gray" <simon.gray@819wr.co.uk> wrote: >Has anyone got a script that will allow for the "automation&quo...

Access Data Collection using Email
I would like to use the above metioned feature to update the status of projects stored in our DB. However, I would like to constrain the email form sent to one specific record rather than all the records of the table I am creating the form from. There are approximately 4200 records in the table. I would like to send this email form for updated information on job status for ONE job to a specific email address. Is this possible? Or must it send a form for every record as it appears to be doing now? thank you, Michael On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:09:00 -0800, Michael F <Michael F@discussio...

Email distribution list
I accidentally deleted an email distribution list. In it I had entries made directly in to the list and not part of my Contacts. Can I retrieve the lost distribution list and/or the names (with email addresses) in it? Not unless you had a backup of your PST file or mailbox, sorry. ed wrote: > I accidentally deleted an email distribution list. In it > I had entries made directly in to the list and not part > of my Contacts. Can I retrieve the lost distribution > list and/or the names (with email addresses) in it? I was afraid so. Thanks for the confirmation. >-----Or...

Disappearing email with Exch 2000
Hi, I have a client with the following problem: When any email with the words 'mortgage' or 'software' in the message arrives it dissapears into the bit bucket. I have enabled logging, and it the messages disappear right after "submitted to advanced queuing" Spam filtering is enabled (Trend), however the Antispam is passing the email to exchange. I can not see any registry entries or settings under exchange that seem to be causing this. Any ideas? E. On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:46:00 +1100, "E." <Bellyup@the.bar> wrote: >Hi, >I have a client...

How to leave copy of email on exchange server
How do I leave a copy of my email on the server in Outlook 2003? It worked great in Outlook XP. But now in Outlook 2003, it deletes all messages off the server automatically. Help! Make sure you aren't checking your mail via POP3. Make sure that the default delivery location is your Exchange mailbox and not a personal folders file. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "travis" <tcole@ipcinc.com> wrote in message news:02d301c3c686$4cc03c90$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do I leave a copy of my e...

escaping special characters with DataSet.WriteXml?
Howdy, Is there a way to explicitly escape special characters (particularly & (&amp;) and ' (&apos;)) when writing a data set with the WriteXml method? I know this is supposed to happen automatically (according to MS), but in my case, it doesn't. I'm pulling data from MS-SQL with c#, filling data tables with SqlDataAdapter and a query, adding tables to a DataSet, then WriteXml to a file. Special characters aren't getting escaped. Yes, I've confirmed this by viewing the text directly, not viewing the file through IE, which will convert entities back to chara...

Multiple emails #2
Hi all, Got a problem with Exch 2003 sp2. a few of my users are receiving multiple emails (like about 20-30 per day) of the same email. The times are different. has anyone else had similar issues? Exchange is sitting behind a Linux SME box which filters virus and spam before forwarding to Exchange. Could it be that the sending mail server believes that the email is not being sent so it keep trying? I got nothing other than that. -- Regards, Nathan Henderson Onlineze Web Solutions Email: nathan@onlineze.com.au Mob: 0414 888 428 yes, that's quite possible. "Nathan Hen...

Any good samples how to to start external console app and catch its STDOUT while it's working?
Hi All, Do you know about any good samples on how to to start external console app and catch its STDOUT while it is working? Thank you, Shamil Search msdn or google for "Creating a Child Process with Redirected Input and Output" Igor Green http://www.grigsoft.com/ Compare It! + Synchronize It! - files and folders comparison never was easier! Thank you Igor! Based on your search criteria I found good sample on Codeproject: http://www.codeproject.com/threads/redir.asp Shamil <grigsoft@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1131974189.209523.68420@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Rule to print emails
Is it possible to create a rule to print a document every time a user sends out an email. I have a situation where I was told they want the user to PRINT the E-Mail to our Document Management system. It is setup like a standard printer, but need to do it AUTOMATICALLY? Can this be done in Outlook? Les L. DeFoor <ldefoor@wirejumper.com> wrote: > I have a situation where I was told they want the user to PRINT the > E-Mail to our Document Management system. It is setup like a > standard printer, but need to do it AUTOMATICALLY? > > Can this be done in Outlook? D...

Blocked emails
Hi, I am trying to send an attachment by Outlook which I know not to be infected but it is blocked with a message - 'Outlook blocked access to the potentially unsafe attachment' Any ideas on what to do to overcome this please as I would like to send it. Thanks, Griff. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm should be helpful. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Griff" <berringtons@clara.net> wrote in message news:1070974229.20281.0@eunomia.uk.clara.net... > Hi, > > I a...

outlook as my email tool
When I open Outlook lately I get an error messge that says RunTime Error This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the applicationsupport team for more info. I get out of Ouotlook and re-try immediateley then ( most of the time ) I can open Outlook and proceed with my email Waht am I doing wrong or is my computer not configured properly. Find and rename outcmd.dat - if that doesn't help, which version of outlook and OS? If Win2k or XP, look in the event viewer for more information about the error and post it here. We have too little to ...

Emailing a Report
Hi all, I have a report that opens showing all incomplete records. Now I need to have the ability to email that form using Outlook. Is there a simple template, etc. somewhere that shows how to? TIA The code is relatively simple, you can look up: SendObject in the helpfiles, or use the example of my code using: http://www.datastrat.com/Download/EmailSenate2K.zip Another example showing how to use Outlook automatic is also at my website: http://www.datastrat.com/Code/OutlookEmail.txt -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com ...