SP2 E2K3

I am getting ready to install SP2 for E2K3 ENT on a W2K3 ENT SP1.  I am 
looking at post and article to research possible issues with installing SP2.  
I came across a couple that have me worry.  One post stated that hotfix, 
8798060, is require to install SP2.  Another, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 
may stop responding when you enable the Sender ID Filtering setting on a 
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) virtual server in Microsoft Exchange 
Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2).  How should I prepare the server to install 
the SP2 and does it require a reboot?

0
manoa (53)
11/18/2005 4:40:27 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
524 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 48

Install the required hotfixes mentioned in the Release Notes.
If you have Intelligent Message Filter (IMF) v1 installed, uninstall it 
first.
Install SP2.
We haven't been able to replicate the "server not responding" issue 
mentioned in the SenderID-related KBA 905214, but it's advisable to install 
the hotfix if you are going to enable SenderID. By default SenderID is NOT 
enabled on your SMTP virtual server(s), so you don't really run the risk of 
having your server stop responding by default.

-- 
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT
www.zenprise.com
blog: www.suneja.com/blog
-----------------------------------------


"manoa" <manoa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B1335502-D475-42AF-A569-03AF06D3E3DE@microsoft.com...
>I am getting ready to install SP2 for E2K3 ENT on a W2K3 ENT SP1.  I am
> looking at post and article to research possible issues with installing 
> SP2.
> I came across a couple that have me worry.  One post stated that hotfix,
> 8798060, is require to install SP2.  Another, Microsoft Windows Server 
> 2003
> may stop responding when you enable the Sender ID Filtering setting on a
> Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) virtual server in Microsoft Exchange
> Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2).  How should I prepare the server to 
> install
> the SP2 and does it require a reboot?
> 


0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
11/18/2005 5:54:11 PM
"manoa" <manoa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am getting ready to install SP2 for E2K3 ENT on a W2K3 ENT SP1.  I am 
>looking at post and article to research possible issues with installing SP2.  
>I came across a couple that have me worry.  One post stated that hotfix, 
>8798060, is require to install SP2.  


898060? That's not a requirement for SP2, but it sure does fix the
broken tcpip.sys driver delivered in W2K3 SP1.

>Another, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 
>may stop responding when you enable the Sender ID Filtering setting on a 
>Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) virtual server in Microsoft Exchange 
>Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2).  How should I prepare the server to install 
>the SP2 and does it require a reboot?

Install both hotfixes before you install E2K3 SP2. If the server needs
rebooting the hotfix wil offer to do it for you. IIRC, a reboot IS
necessary.


-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com
Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com
0
richnews (7316)
11/18/2005 6:42:57 PM
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:42:57 -0500, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:

>"manoa" <manoa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I am getting ready to install SP2 for E2K3 ENT on a W2K3 ENT SP1.  I am 
>>looking at post and article to research possible issues with installing SP2.  
>>I came across a couple that have me worry.  One post stated that hotfix, 
>>8798060, is require to install SP2.  
>
>
>898060? That's not a requirement for SP2, but it sure does fix the
>broken tcpip.sys driver delivered in W2K3 SP1.
	According the SP2 release notes it is!  :) 

	
>
>>Another, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 
>>may stop responding when you enable the Sender ID Filtering setting on a 
>>Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) virtual server in Microsoft Exchange 
>>Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2).  How should I prepare the server to install 
>>the SP2 and does it require a reboot?
>
>Install both hotfixes before you install E2K3 SP2. If the server needs
>rebooting the hotfix wil offer to do it for you. IIRC, a reboot IS
>necessary.
0
adavid (8731)
11/18/2005 6:48:08 PM
Andy David - MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:42:57 -0500, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
><richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
>
>>"manoa" <manoa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I am getting ready to install SP2 for E2K3 ENT on a W2K3 ENT SP1.  I am 
>>>looking at post and article to research possible issues with installing SP2.  
>>>I came across a couple that have me worry.  One post stated that hotfix, 
>>>8798060, is require to install SP2.  
>>
>>
>>898060? That's not a requirement for SP2, but it sure does fix the
>>broken tcpip.sys driver delivered in W2K3 SP1.
>	According the SP2 release notes it is!  :)

I think it should be a requirement for EVERYthing! That problem's
caused us more grief than anything I can remember except for trying to
use UDP for Kerberos authentication using VPNs running on cable and
DSL lines (which, BTW, W2K3 SP1 without that hotfix also contributed
to!).

We've had problem with MAPI/RPC clients and with plain ole SMTP. I
expect the infrastructure guys have had problem with RPC, too on the
DC's.


-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com
Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com
0
richnews (7316)
11/18/2005 8:42:42 PM
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:42:42 -0500, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:

>Andy David - MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:42:57 -0500, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
>><richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
>>
>>>"manoa" <manoa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>I am getting ready to install SP2 for E2K3 ENT on a W2K3 ENT SP1.  I am 
>>>>looking at post and article to research possible issues with installing SP2.  
>>>>I came across a couple that have me worry.  One post stated that hotfix, 
>>>>8798060, is require to install SP2.  
>>>
>>>
>>>898060? That's not a requirement for SP2, but it sure does fix the
>>>broken tcpip.sys driver delivered in W2K3 SP1.
>>	According the SP2 release notes it is!  :)
>
>I think it should be a requirement for EVERYthing! That problem's
>caused us more grief than anything I can remember except for trying to
>use UDP for Kerberos authentication using VPNs running on cable and
>DSL lines (which, BTW, W2K3 SP1 without that hotfix also contributed
>to!).
>
>We've had problem with MAPI/RPC clients and with plain ole SMTP. I
>expect the infrastructure guys have had problem with RPC, too on the
>DC's.


Indeed. Oddly, its not made available to WSUS as far as I can tell. 
0
adavid (8731)
11/18/2005 8:49:19 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

gridlines in outlook 2002 (sp2) messages
im trying to make outlook print gridlines from excel sheets. i copy a piece of an excel worksheet into clipboard and paste it into an outlook email. the gridlines appear ok. but when i go to print- they dont appear on the preview or the print out. what do i need to do to make them visible? also when i paste the same clipboard contents into wordpad and select print preview, the gridlines work! the only way i can figure how to get the gridlines to work in outlook is to paste special and select "microsoft excel worksheet". but the people here are pedantic, and want to be able to just p...

Installation of WinUSB on XP Pro SP2
I'm currently trying to get WinUSB installed on my XP Pro SP2 machine and every time I try and install the device and point to where the .inf files are it says it can't install the hardware because it can't find the software. Here are the steps I have taken so far: 1. Downloaded winusbdemo.inf from Jan Axelson's page 2. Modified .inf file to use the 1.9 drivers 3. Create a directory structure that had \i386 subdirectory and then put WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll, WdfCoInstaller01009.dll, and WUDFUpdate_01009.dll files into it 3. Used inf2cat to create the .cat file (did th...

Outlook 11.8010.6568 (SP2) vs 11.8206.8172 (SP3) issue with OFT file
It seems that ever since I updated my OL from Outlook 11.8010.6568 (SP2) vs 11.8206.8172 (SP3) I cannot run a Template .OFT file by just clicking on it, now I need to run it from the "Choose Form" Menu Is there any work around ? Thanks.. That is a security "feature" for templates with custom properties or fields. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907985 for more information. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailt...

sp2
I cannot install the new SP2. It starts installing but suddenly it an error appears stating that i'm installing from a removable disk (which I'm Not) asking to provide a source for the MSI file. Can anyone help!!!! It's probably just asking for the Store Operations CD. I've had that happen with several of the Hot Fixes. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information ...

Backout of SP2
After you have update from Exchange server 2003 SP1 to SP2 is there anyway to revert back to SP1 if you have issues with the update? I was also wondering what specific issues I should test before installing it on my network? I have it installed on a test server windows 2003 SP1 and Exchange 2003 SP2. The test systems is working fine Thanks Janelle On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:51:28 -0800, "Janelle" <Janelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >After you have update from Exchange server 2003 SP1 to SP2 is there anyway to >revert back to SP1 if you have issues with the update...

e2k3 and owa
if i upgrade to exchange 2003 from exchange 2000, will i be able to use mac os and internet explorer to access exchange via OWA? i know i can't do it now running exchange 2000 OWA, which i thought was pretty lame since i used to be able to access OWA when i had exchange 5.5 You can, and you should have been able to with Exchange 2000 as well, I have clients using MACs and IE to access OWA in Exchange 2000 with no problems. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "JA" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23AHTb809DHA.317...

Slipstreaming XPx64 + SP2
I'm trying to integrate SP2 into a SP1 setup. I get this error [http://lookpic.com/i/17/NvMj0yvW.jpeg] The same thing happens with nLite. Has anyone successfully done this ? Yes, I slipstreamed SP2 in XP x64 SP1 using nLite without any problem about 2 years ago. You may have a corrupted SP2 file. On 2010-02-16 01:09, Kevin E. wrote: > I'm trying to integrate SP2 into a SP1 setup. I get this error > [http://lookpic.com/i/17/NvMj0yvW.jpeg] > > The same thing happens with nLite. Has anyone successfully done this ? Iv downloaded the SP2 package on both my d...

files corrupted after installing office sp2
after installing office sp2 I cannot open old excel files. all files that created before installing sp2 are corrupted. help!!! Can you copy them and open them on other machines? -- kevindmorgan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kevindmorgan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32232 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=519909 Yes "kevindmorgan" <kevindmorgan.24blam_1141769401.2421@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:kevindmorgan.24blam_1141769401...

Loss of Internet on SBS 2003 SP2
We loose Internet every few weeks and a restart of the server seems to fix it. This time when it happened I checked the router remotely, before rebooting the SBS 2003 SP2 server, and did a ping and trace and all seems good with it… which tells me that I have internet access but the SBS server is not allowing it. On another note I can remotely connect using gotomypc successfully when this occurs and can access both the server and clients. We have a DSL modem w/ a fixed IP and it is setup as a pass-through device to the router. I have the server setup as the DNS server and no...

Exchange 2003 SP2, AD 2003 SP2
With exchange 2003 how do I configure a user who is a company manager to have rights to one of his subbodinates' email account so he (the manager) can send out an email as if they (the manager) were that person (the subordinate) sending it. Sending on behalf of is not enough for the manager, he want to send being the subordinate. Any ideas? First turn on Advanced Features under the View menu in Active Directory Users and Computers. Then go into the properties of the user the manager wants to send as. Click the Security tab, add the manager, and give the manager Send As pe...

Service pack upgrade
Hi all, I'm trying to migrate from GP 8.0 SP2 to SP5. I have customized screen for sales transaction entry. When i upgraded and tested it, i ended up with the issue of invoice not posting. Which was working correctly before the upgrade. Any thoughts could help me to solve it. Can anybody put your suggestions? Thanks for you support. Can you provide more details. 1.) Were you able to transfer all your customizations to the upgraded one - from screen, code, reports and tables ? 2.) During the upgrade, have you encountered problems? 3.) When you say not posting, are there any error re...

XP SP2 msoobe error after resealing system with sysprep
Hi, I'm running XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 5150, ran sysprep in order to reset the GUID and SID's for an Enterprise software but now it's giving me an msoobe.exe error... saying the system is not completely installed and I'm in an endless loop not being able to bootup. Googling I found that the culprit is most likely the WMP11, and the solution is to either uninstall it or run a hotfix from Microsoft, but since I can't bootup the machine, I need a way to do that in a command window. I have tried overwriting the msobmain.dll (as was suggested being the ...

E2K3 Storage Groups
What are advantages, and more importantly, disadvantages to using multiple Storage Groups. I have heard that having more then 2 SG's creates extra CPU load, is this true? The only benefit I see so far is logical separation for use in exchange manager, and that you can point translogs and system path to different locations, if you had different physical drives, I could see this as a benefit. I have a situation where I'd like to do the following -Storage Group for local users - Multiple stores with different store policies -Storage Group for remote users - Multiple stores with diff...

SP2
I downloaded SP@ and now I can't send messages from outlook. HELP!!!!! if u think it is SP2, have u tried a deinstallation for a recheck ? Greetings Roger "Neil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3ab901c4af2a$0c3e4030$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I downloaded SP@ and now I can't send messages from > outlook. HELP!!!!! What version of Outlook do you have? Do you get any error messages when you try to send? If so what are they? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,...

Win2003 Sp2 & EX2003 SP2
Is there any known issues with installing SP2 on Win2003 for EX2003 SP2? We are just planning our install and just wanted any input from people who have had issues? TIA Chris On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:31:56 -0000, "Chris D" <cdove@hot.ma.il.com> wrote: >Is there any known issues with installing SP2 on Win2003 for EX2003 SP2? > >We are just planning our install and just wanted any input from people who >have had issues? > >TIA > >Chris > From what I can recall from four or five years ago you're ok. Just have a good ...

RPC over HTTPS - Exchange 2003 SP2, Outlook SP2
Hi, I'm absolutely stuck. I've been through almost every knowledgebase article i've found and along the way fixed every error i've come across (which has pretty much been all of them). I've got a single exchange server enabled for RPC over HTTPS. I've got a self signed ssl certificate created via the IIS resource kit using Self SSL which I have trusted and is called the same as my external url to my owa server. I can navigate to owa without getting prompted with certificate information, and I can go to http://<url>/rpc where i get prompted for username and passw...

sp2
I had down loaded windows sp2, and was in the process of restarting my computer. All was going fine, then a window appeared and said "OUT OF RANGE" and a few seconds later disapearred from the screen, The screen then turned black. This happens every time I try to ree-boot. What do I ned to do???? ...

Vista SP2
I have Vista 64 bit home edition that came loaded on my computer, and have tried all the suggested fixes (prohibited from reinstalling SP1; ran the Update Readiness Tool; ran a different update tool from this forum; tried to install the update separately in Clean Boot mode; do not have a file "pending.xml" to rename) to get Service Pack 2 to load, without success. I have TWO corrupt files that need to be replaced, but I have no idea how to get functional copies of these files. The corrupt files (from the Update Readiness Tool CHS log) are winsxs\manifests\wow_64_micro...

Office 2007 SP2 ADM files download are the German files
When I try to download the latest Office 2007 ADM files on MS or in Technet it's in German. Anyone got a 3rd party link they know is in English? ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 #3
Just read in a Microsoft TechNet newsletter: "We're anticipating the October release of Exchange Server 2003 SP2 ......." SP2 is the one that is supposed to increase the maximum data stores size up from 16GB..... -- Regards, Hank Arnold After installing Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2, the default size limit for each Exchange database is 18 GB, but can easily be configured to allow for database size limits of up to 75 GB per database. http://www.petri.co.il/change_store_size_limits_ex2003_sp2.htm -- "Hank Arnold" wrote: > Just read in a Micro...

SP2
I have the latest zonealarm security Suite , and i disabled it's antivirus , and i'm running norton antivirus to scan for viruses , when i installed SP2 it didn't detect my norton antivirus , it tells me that zonealarm antivirus is turned off , and i don't want to work with zonealarm AV thnkx ...

Retaining blocked senders list for Exchange SP2 IMF
I noticed that when installing the new sp2 for exchange, one of the items is that if you have the v1 of the intelligent message filter installed, you might get a message to uninstall it during the exchange sp2 install process. My question is this: since I have a very big list of blocked senders that I spent a LOT of time inputting, is there a way to input them all back into the blocked senders list after I install the new sp2 for exchange? Is there a txt file that I could copy/paste the list into in the new intelligent message filter? The list is in the exchange system manager>"...

SP2 Move cells slow
Since I upgraded to SP2 for Office 2007 I noticed that moving objects using the arrow keys is very slow. This is going on in publisher, Word & Excel. Moving from cell to cell slower than before. Has anybody seen this phenomenon? Spike NEVER MIND I fixed it Somehow my keyboard key repeat speed got set to the SLOWEST setting Weird Spike "Spike" <zero_spam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:Oir#NBdyJHA.1420@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Since I upgraded to SP2 for Office 2007 I noticed that moving objects > using the arrow keys is very slow. This is going on in ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 #4
I am trying to install this, but I can't seem to get past the select Component page - the Next button doesn't allow you to click on it. What am I doing wrong? TIA On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:32:36 +0100, "Neil Jordan" <Neil.Jordan@magiglo.co.uk> wrote: >I am trying to install this, but I can't seem to get past the select >Component page - the Next button doesn't allow you to click on it. What am >I doing wrong? > >TIA > HAve you installed the required hotfixes? Required Hotfixes Make sure that the following hotfixes have been installed...

Vista SP2 hangs at black screen
I have Windows Vista Home Basic SP2 on Dell Inspiron 1525. It used to work fine, but recently when we tried to reboot, it hangs at black screen. I tried to open "Advanced Boot Options" menu by pressing F8, but still it doesn't show any menu and hangs at black screen. I also tried to boot the computer by inserting the Windows Vista SP1 CD but still no luck. It also hangs at black screen. I am stuck now, pls suggest as how to get into Safe mode or to "Last known good configuration" option, to atleast try something. Thank you. -- sam545 "...