Source IP Address of Email

Can't figure out how to get the source IP address of the computer an
email was sent from.  The email was sent within the company, from an
internal machine, so in the headers all I get is:

And the message tracking tool in the system manager is no help either.

Thanks.

You can't.  Internal e-mail typically does not contain header information.
You also won't see it logged in your SMTP logs.  Exchange only logs this
information (and appends to the headers) if it is sending to an external
host.

Also, you need to understand that the "computer" isn't really the one that
sent the message.  Outlook has a MAPI connection to the Exchange server.  As
such, it simply submits the message to the Information Store.  Because of
that, the source IP doesn't really get logged in respect to the message
itself.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"ralfthewise" <ralfthewise@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Can't figure out how to get the source IP address of the computer an
> email was sent from.  The email was sent within the company, from an
> internal machine, so in the headers all I get is:

> And the message tracking tool in the system manager is no help either.
>
> Thanks.

0
Ben
2/17/2005 8:30:19 PM
hmm... that seems a somewhat poor design decision.  there's no way to
turn up the logging level or something?  I mean that's pretty
ridiculous that there's no way at all the see where an email originated.

Use of bcc for group emails
I have just taken over as unpaid secretary of a golf club and do most of my work using my home PC. I have distribution list of all members emails (approx 300) but do not wish them all to be displayed to all recipients. I am aware of the use of bcc to hide other addressees; however, I am told that including too many addressees in the bcc list causes problems with either ISPs or Spam filters. Is this true? If so can anyone suggest a work around. Thank you How many recipients is set by your ISP. If they allow 100, then that is the max you can have in one group. Easiest way to f...

SUMIF Returns a #VALUE error when external source is closed
Can you help me out with this? if works fine if the external source i open but returns a #value if its closed. is there anyway of correctin this so that it will pull from the external when it is closed -- ghyne ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ghynes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2658 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39856 No, the formula requires the second file to be open. -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ghynes" <...

Source code library.
My company has finally decided to upgrade from Visual C++ version 6 to Visual Studio 2008. Is there a newer version scheduled for release anytime soon? What source code version control should we use? Is SourceSafe good? Are there alternatives that people would recommend for a small company with only a few developers? With SourceSafe are there any concerns or things we should know from the start? "TomChapman" <TomChapman12@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:O#3oXJafKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > My company has finally decided to upgrade from ...

Email Addresses problem
=20 Michael: I replicated all DCs in my domain and update rus=20 services.However, the user=B4s folder e-mail addresses is=20 empty still. The user was replicated without email address folders=20 objects to the others DCs. It happen sometimes but not ever.I created another user=20 with mailbox and email address folders was completed. For you information: The exchange 5.5 server have SP4 and was in a child=20 domain. The user and the Ex2k server are in the root domain .The=20 new mailboxes are created in the ex2k server. Should i move the site addressing role to the ex2k server? Does wor...

Problems with Outlook 2007 Email Signatures
I've been using signatures with Outlook in Outlook 2000, XP and 2003 without many problems. There are a few quirks I notice when using Outlook 2007 Beta Technical Refresh with email signatures. If anyone has any suggestions please reply to this thread. BTW, I use Word 2007 for my email editor. After composing a signature using Outlook 2007's signature editor that contains a local graphic (GIF) and using it in an email, the email will show the words "The image cannot be displayed. Your computer may not have enough memory to open the image, or the image may have been corr...

Address book #9
Whenever I try to use my address book to send an e-mail to a group of people I get an undeliverable error message. If I manually type in the address it works fine. How do I fix this? ...

trying to email with outlook its saying interface not registered
i am using outlook 2003 with microsoft office i trying to email and a box pops up saying interface not registered? can someone tell me how to register the interface? darkstar, you wrote on Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:20:02 -0800: > i am using outlook 2003 with microsoft office i trying to email and a box > pops up saying interface not registered? can someone tell me how to register > the interface? Start | Run Type Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll and click OK. -- Best Regards Christian Goeller thanks for that worked well "Christian Goeller" wrote: > dark...

Cannot set the LOCALE IDENTIFIER of the data source #2
In order to use the "translations" feature of Sql Server Analysis Services 2008 we need to set the locale identifier of the OLEDB connection string. However, it doesn't seem to be possible in Excel 2007. Here are the steps to reproduce the problem. 1- Open Excel 2007 2- Data > From other sources > From Analysis Services 3- Select a server and a database (it doesn't matter which), click next, click finish 4- Click properties, clear the "retrieve data and errors in the Office display language" checkbox, go to the definition tab, add "Locale Identifier=105...

Outlook only collecting emails when it's opened/closed
Hi wondered if anyone's had similar problems to this or can shed any light on it got an imap server, with around 50 outlook xp clients, outlook is set to send and recieve once a min, but on occasions outlook wont recieve any new emails until you close and open it. this can mean for people who have outlook open all day they dont get any emails, until the next day when they open up outlook again. i'm going to recreate new outlook profiles to see if that helps, anyone else have any ideas or seen anything similar? thanks Chris Once connected to an IMAP server the connection sho...

Single value for Control Source
I have a combo box for which I want the control source to be a single value in a table that has several rows and columns, like DLookup works. What would the control source look like? Sorry, Stu, but I can't figure out what it is you want to do. What does "a single value in a table that has several rows and columns" mean? This is what makes no sense. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Stu" wrote: > I have a combo box for which I want the control source to be a single value > in a table that has several rows and columns, like DLookup works. What woul...

More background sources for MSPub 2003
Is there a site for more background patterns on the internet? Go here http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ Input background in the search, there are many. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm "Carygee" <carygee@aol.com> wrote in message news:%23iXftofmDHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is there a site for more background patterns on the internet? > > Hi Carygee (carygee@aol.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a site for more background patterns on the internet? As an FY...

I have NO address book?
Have tried to locate my address book (I use MS Office 2003) and all that appears is a contacts option under tools. The only 'address book' is that which shows when I wish to compose an email. And even then, the partial email is not completed automatically. HELP? This forum is for Microsoft Great Plains; try the MS Office forum. "Chefcory" wrote: > Have tried to locate my address book (I use MS Office 2003) and all that > appears is a contacts option under tools. > > The only 'address book' is that which shows when I wish to compose an email. ...

Email Attachments not received
I send a lot of emails generated from Excel via Lotus notes which attach a xls file zipped to a lot of different companies. I have found that anybody who has Outlook is not receiving the attachement. The VBA code I use attaches the file to the email below what appears to be a page break. The text in the email is received and if I resend the email and attach the file using the paper clip there is no problem at the other end. Can anybody advise why this is happening and if there is a way around this. I also am having an issue. Suddenly the text messages with an attached picture I...

How do i export a Excel database a Outlook address book?
Hi Guys I am trying to export a database into an Outlook address book - any ideas how to do this? Thanks Hi Ash You can save it as CSV file in excel and import it in Outlook then -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Ash" <Ash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B52708B5-A447-4258-AD16-420FA97E5BAE@microsoft.com... > Hi Guys > > I am trying to export a database into an Outlook address book - any ideas > how to do this? > > Thanks Ash By "data base" do you mean names, addresses, email etc? This is how I do it. ...

deleting addresses instead of going to them!
for the web addess list that is available when using the drop down menu when signed into IE8 - whose silly idea was it to put the delete button immediately below the drop down menu arrow, so that every time i want to go to the address i delete it instead!! not a useful feature! paula wrote: > for the web addess list that is available when using the drop down menu when > signed into IE8 - whose silly idea was it to put the delete button > immediately below the drop down menu arrow, so that every time i want to go > to the address i delete it instead!! not a useful f...

Unable to View Contacts in Address Book
I am having a heck of a time moving off an old machine and setting up Outlook on a new machine. I moved the .pst file from the old to the new machine and it seemed to go OK ... I can see the mail folders and messages as they were on the old machine and I can see the Contacts [although somehow I ended up with three(!) Personal Folders ... each of which point to the files/folders in the .pst folder I moved over]. In any event, my biggest problem now is getting the Contacts that are included in the .pst file to show up when I display the Address Book. When I open the Address Book I see ...

Starting Visual Basic Editor crashes Outlook and cannot send email from Access
MS Outlook 2003 (11.8206.8221) SP3 MS Access 2003 (11.6566.8221) SP2 MS Access 97 SR-2 MS Visual Basic 6.0 Version 8176 VBA Retail 6.0.8169 Forms3: 12.0.4518.101 Windows XP 5.1.2600 SP2 Build 2600 Machine: Dell Precision T7400 Processor: X86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping G Intel 2.6 Mhz BIOS: Dell A03, 5/30/2008 SMBIOS: 2.5 Current system oddity: Documents and Settings is on the D: drive instead of the C: drive (don't ask me why, I just work here...) Hi there, I recently migrated from a PC with XP SP2 to a workstation which runs XP (32 bit). Since then I have been having a couple of problem...

Contact subfolders won't show up in Address Book
Using Outlook 2003 with current updates, not using Exchange Server... I've changed the properties on the Contacts folder to "Display in Address Book" but the only thing that shows up when you click the To button on a new message is the contacts in the Contacts Folder. None of the sub folders appear in the list box on the left of the form. I am able to change the "Display in Address Book" property on Contacts subfolders but that only puts them in to the drop-down list at the top of the Address Book page. It does not put all the names into the list box on the left side ...

Printing Address Book 01-21-10
I'm using Outlook 2007 to try to print a medium booklet style address book. An old program I had would print this so that when you printed both sides and cut the full sheets in half and then folded the half sheets in half and assembled them in the right order, you had a 1/4 page size booklet. Outlook seems to print the pages in consecutive order so you can't assemble the pages in any reasonable order (ie 1,2,3,4 on the first sheet and 5,6,7,8 on the back side, so page 6 is on the back of page 1, etc). Anyone know how to make this work? ...

Pivot table data source #4
Hi! I had some pivot tables in my computer. How can I find the data source name or the database name where the data is coming from? I went to the get data and view SQL but it did not show me the database name and location. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. John I normally right click on the pivot table, select wizard and then the back button until you get to the window with the source data range in it. Laurence "John Rozario" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bd5301c48952$2f46f700$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi! > > I had some pivot table...

emails #14
This might sound like a bit of a dumb question but in Outlook 2000 how would I be able 2 check what my outgoing email address is?? -- @---}-- Laura..... :) Liverpool, England "Do you know where you're going to?" it should be the same if not very similar to OE 6.0 and that you go to tools accounts mail tab on the default email address click properties and it should have your email address there. good luck "Laura ( '_' )" <laura@invalid.example.com> wrote in message news:OKHAFW36FHA.2524@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > This might sound like a bit of...

missing email items
Hello all, I have a couple of users who doesn't see there email in outlook. When I view it from System Manager on my Exchange 2003 server they have 100 total items but in there Outlook items only 10 show up. How can I force Outlook to pull down all of there items in there mailbox. Garry do the users have a "view filter" applied in their Outlook? check for that...you might also try an "advanced find" to find missing messages... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Garry" <Garry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0B511A7-0E52-4BCF-A029-65BA102D8D...

Sending emails from Public Folder
Hi, I have a public folder on the exchange server which is email-enabled. I am able to receive messages into it but cannot find a way to send messages from it. I have the folder in MS Outlook and whenever I click on the folder and try to send a message it displays my personal email address as the "Sender" (it's the same case with replies from the folder). How can I cause this folder to act like a mailbox so I can send and receive messages from it? On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:34:02 -0700, "sdhillon" <sdhillon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, I have a pub...

Loss of emails when moving into folders
I have nearly 20 folders in which I organise the emails I wish to keep. Periodically, I organise my folders and recently moved emails from the Inbox into various folders. In one folder, the most important called 'Hugo 2', none of the emails I moved to it actually appeared, despite the system working correstly for all other folders. These important emails appear to be lost/deleted altogether from the system. 'Hugo 2' had performed correctly until my last re-organisation last March. There are no 'Wizard Rules' in operation in either the Inbox or 'Hugo ...

Updating the chart source data
i have many charts in a sheet. i want to make their souce data dynamic. the source range of charts are like sheet1!$B$9:$CN$13 where $B$9 is starting range and " $CN$ " is ending range. for every chart the starting range is different but the ending Datarange is of same Column "$CN" . i want to make the column Letter dynamic ,Row number are Static ... from "CN" it has to change it to "CO" in all the charts.. Every occurence of CN DataRange has to be changed to CO .Every month one column gets added up. i.e from co to cp and so on. this change...