Somebody else accessing exchange mailbox ?

A member of staff has reason to believe that his/her email has been accessed
by another party.
They insist that nobody else knows their username/password.

Is it possible to log access to the mailbox, maybe by IP address for example
?

any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gary D

0
gary1715 (18)

Almost impossible to do. An event 1013 is logged when someone accesses
another person's mailbox but there are lots of valide reasons for a 1013. So
even if you noticed it happening then it would not carry much wait. Also, if
the password is secret how would they be accessing it? Checking permissions
would confirm  whether they had the potential to access the mailbox.

Nue
"Gary D" <gary@admp.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>A member of staff has reason to believe that his/her email has been
>accessed by another party.
> They insist that nobody else knows their username/password.
>
> Is it possible to log access to the mailbox, maybe by IP address for
> example ?
>
> any ideas much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Gary D

0
imaneophyte (3005)
6/16/2006 3:53:51 PM
1016 that is. Used to be in 5.5 if the primary  account opened the mailbox
and you had logging cranked up you'd see 1013.  1016 was logged when an
account other than the primary accessed the mailbox.  Currently 1016 is
valid for Exchange 5.5 - 2003.  In exchange 2000 - 2003 you need the logons
logging set to minimum to see the event ID 1016.  In 5.5, you saw the 1016
no matter what you had logging set at.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867640/en-us

"Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Almost impossible to do. An event 1013 is logged when someone accesses
> another person's mailbox but there are lots of valide reasons for a 1013.
> So even if you noticed it happening then it would not carry much wait.
> Also, if the password is secret how would they be accessing it? Checking
> permissions would confirm  whether they had the potential to access the
> mailbox.
>
> Nue
> "Gary D" <gary@admp.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>A member of staff has reason to believe that his/her email has been
>>accessed by another party.
>> They insist that nobody else knows their username/password.
>>
>> Is it possible to log access to the mailbox, maybe by IP address for
>> example ?
>>
>> any ideas much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Gary D

0
John
6/16/2006 4:21:20 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Nue
"John Fullbright [MVP]" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message
> 1016 that is. Used to be in 5.5 if the primary  account opened the mailbox
> and you had logging cranked up you'd see 1013.  1016 was logged when an
> account other than the primary accessed the mailbox.  Currently 1016 is
> valid for Exchange 5.5 - 2003.  In exchange 2000 - 2003 you need the
> logons logging set to minimum to see the event ID 1016.  In 5.5, you saw
> the 1016 no matter what you had logging set at.

> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Almost impossible to do. An event 1013 is logged when someone accesses
>> another person's mailbox but there are lots of valide reasons for a 1013.
>> So even if you noticed it happening then it would not carry much wait.
>> Also, if the password is secret how would they be accessing it? Checking
>> permissions would confirm  whether they had the potential to access the
>> mailbox.
>>
>> Nue
>> "Gary D" <gary@admp.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>A member of staff has reason to believe that his/her email has been
>>>accessed by another party.
>>> They insist that nobody else knows their username/password.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to log access to the mailbox, maybe by IP address for
>>> example ?
>>>
>>> any ideas much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Gary D

0
imaneophyte (3005)
6/16/2006 4:36:59 PM
If someone knows the domain admin password, they could be logging into the
the exchasnge server, using AD to give them permissions to the persons
mailbox then using their Outlook client to open the mailbox in question.  You
could also use pdfadmin to view client permissions on the clients mailbox.

What evidence is the person giving to prove someone else is viewing their
mailbox?

"Nuevo" wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> Nue
> "John Fullbright [MVP]" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message
> > 1016 that is. Used to be in 5.5 if the primary  account opened the mailbox
> > and you had logging cranked up you'd see 1013.  1016 was logged when an
> > account other than the primary accessed the mailbox.  Currently 1016 is
> > valid for Exchange 5.5 - 2003.  In exchange 2000 - 2003 you need the
> > logons logging set to minimum to see the event ID 1016.  In 5.5, you saw
> > the 1016 no matter what you had logging set at.

> > "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Almost impossible to do. An event 1013 is logged when someone accesses
> >> another person's mailbox but there are lots of valide reasons for a 1013.
> >> So even if you noticed it happening then it would not carry much wait.
> >> Also, if the password is secret how would they be accessing it? Checking
> >> permissions would confirm  whether they had the potential to access the
> >> mailbox.
> >>
> >> Nue
> >> "Gary D" <gary@admp.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

0
AlanByrne (25)
6/16/2006 8:24:02 PM
Thanks guys,

Will check event logs, delegate access etc, and change all passwords.

Cheers

Gary D

"Alan Byrne" <AlanByrne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If someone knows the domain admin password, they could be logging into the
> the exchasnge server, using AD to give them permissions to the persons
> mailbox then using their Outlook client to open the mailbox in question.
> You
> could also use pdfadmin to view client permissions on the clients mailbox.
>
> What evidence is the person giving to prove someone else is viewing their
> mailbox?
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>> Nue
>> "John Fullbright [MVP]" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message
>> > 1016 that is. Used to be in 5.5 if the primary  account opened the
>> > mailbox
>> > and you had logging cranked up you'd see 1013.  1016 was logged when an
>> > account other than the primary accessed the mailbox.  Currently 1016 is
>> > valid for Exchange 5.5 - 2003.  In exchange 2000 - 2003 you need the
>> > logons logging set to minimum to see the event ID 1016.  In 5.5, you
>> > saw
>> > the 1016 no matter what you had logging set at.
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867640/en-us
>> >

>> > "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
gary1715 (18)
6/19/2006 8:49:51 AM
Thanks Alan,
Where do I get holdo f PDFadmin. I have checked the mailbox permissions and
delegate access in exchange, cant find anything ! Will PDFadmin tell me
anything I dont already know ?

Thanks again

Gary

"Alan Byrne" <AlanByrne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If someone knows the domain admin password, they could be logging into the
> the exchasnge server, using AD to give them permissions to the persons
> mailbox then using their Outlook client to open the mailbox in question.
> You
> could also use pdfadmin to view client permissions on the clients mailbox.
>
> What evidence is the person giving to prove someone else is viewing their
> mailbox?
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>> Nue
>> "John Fullbright [MVP]" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message
>> > 1016 that is. Used to be in 5.5 if the primary  account opened the
>> > mailbox
>> > and you had logging cranked up you'd see 1013.  1016 was logged when an
>> > account other than the primary accessed the mailbox.  Currently 1016 is
>> > valid for Exchange 5.5 - 2003.  In exchange 2000 - 2003 you need the
>> > logons logging set to minimum to see the event ID 1016.  In 5.5, you
>> > saw
>> > the 1016 no matter what you had logging set at.
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867640/en-us
>> >

>> > "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
gary1715 (18)
6/21/2006 7:23:58 AM
Its PFDavAdmin and is a free download from the MS site - google it and it
should be the top entry.

> Thanks Alan,
> Where do I get holdo f PDFadmin. I have checked the mailbox permissions
> and delegate access in exchange, cant find anything ! Will PDFadmin tell
> me anything I dont already know ?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Gary
>

> "Alan Byrne" <AlanByrne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> If someone knows the domain admin password, they could be logging into
>> the
>> the exchasnge server, using AD to give them permissions to the persons
>> mailbox then using their Outlook client to open the mailbox in question.
>> You
>> could also use pdfadmin to view client permissions on the clients
>> mailbox.
>>
>> What evidence is the person giving to prove someone else is viewing their
>> mailbox?
>>
>> "Nuevo" wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the clarification.
>>>
>>> Nue
>>> "John Fullbright [MVP]" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message

0
nick5968 (262)

Access my Information
I had set up my home PC Outlook to synchronize with my companies exchange server. Well I quit my job and the owner of the company was an a** about it and did not accept my 2 weeks resignation and immediately removed me from the network. Consequently I cannot Log into Outlook at home anymore because I cannot authenticate back with the exchange server. How can get into Outlook at home? If I have to I do have the contacts all on my smartphone but I wanted to get back into the Outlook Contacts and old email. Aren't they stored locally as well on download and sync? "BLAW" <bradl...

Exchange 2003 & active directory
My active directory seems to be missing. I can not modify, delete preestablished email users but I can still create new users but not assign them to preestablished groups. Your AD is not missing. You do appear to be having problems though. Give us some more detailed information on your environment and the exact nature of the problems.. Nue "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47C3505A-E532-4DE0-ADC8-F80C8A5402D7@microsoft.com... > My active directory seems to be missing. I can not modify, delete > preestablished email users but I can still ...

Is it possible to replace a button with something else?
Hi Excel Experts Thank you so much to those who helped me with the data merge the othe time... it was fascinating and amazing what few simple lines of code can do... Now I have another problem. I have created a report which contains som buttons with macros attached to them. My question is, is it possible t replace these buttons because there's simply too many buttons. Is i possible to attach a macro to a specified cell and when the cell i double clicked or clicked, the macro will run? I heard of using functions n stuff but being a very lousy person wit vb, i wasn't able to figure t...

Does anybody else use The Process Scheduler from MC2?
I'm trying to find other users of The Process Scheduler from MC2. I need assistance in setting this application up. I've followed everything I know to follow in the documentation and I know I'm close, but I keep getting a Remote Processing Error. We're using Great Plains 8.0 on an SQL platform. While I don't know anything about the Process Scheduler from MC2 specifically, I guess I'd start my troubleshooting by seeing if just using the Process Server stuff in Great Plains works for you. In the Process Server windows, you can setup your process servers and then s...

Access from "Form View" to "Datasheet View"
Hoi, Somebody can help me out. I need a macro where I can switch from the database "Form View" to the "Datasheet View". I can do it with the menubar option, but I want to do it with a button. regards, Johan Hi johan, I'm using Access 2000, but guess there will be not much differences in the new versions: In the click_event of a button in a mask, try something like this: If (Me.CurrentView = 1) Then ' Mask DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDatasheetView ElseIf (Me.CurrentView = 2) Then ' Datasheet DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdFormView End If In effe...

Chase Direct Access Not Working
My understanding from these newsgroups is that direct banking services should still work after the Microsoft subscription end. I have Chase "Direct Access." I have removed the LiveID from my Money Plus file. When I attempt to set up services for Chase Direct Access, at the "downloading information about your financial institution" stage, I get the message: "Online updates are no longer available for this version of Money. To extend your online services go to Online Services Information and click Extend Services, or you can update this account by entering the ...

Parser Error Message: Access is denied: 'Microsoft.Crm.Platform.ComProxy'
Hi there. Anyone know what this means? I'm trying to access my crm accounts from within outlook. Have run the Sales for Outlook 1.2, install went fine We have installed crmserver on port 82, have SharePoint on port 80, Project Server on 81. Should the homepage (in properties of MicrosoftCRM within outlook) Thanks Roger Hi Roger, You should not install sales for outlook on the same machine as crm server. This won't work, even not when you use different ports. With kind regards, Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands "Roger Reid" wrote: > Hi there. > > Anyone ...

Queries to import data from Access
If I change the drive location of an Access database from which I am importing data into an Excel workbook (I set the query up using the Microsoft Query wizard), I get the following error message: "ODBC Microsoft Access Driver login failed: Could not find file 'xxxx\xxxx\xxxx.mdb'" Is there any way to get round this without having to delete my queries and reimport them from the database in the new location? FYI - I use Excel & Access 2000. -- R Ormerod hi, yes there is. you will have to change the file path in the MSQ. to do that, bring the query up in design m...

Remove first/last Exchange 2007 server?
Is there anything special that needs to be done to remove the first (and only) Exchange 2007 server? This is our pre-prod environment and I need to return the hardware it is running on. The E2k7 environment was coexisting with an E2k3 setup (which will remain). Thanks. -GT I have not tried this yet, but you *should* be able to remove the last E2K7 server as long as there are no public folders or mailboxes on the server. ________ Jim McBee Exchange 2007 U.S. Road Show http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2007/03/exchange-2007-roadshow-tour.html "GT" <DSS4u@+++nospam+++...

Single Singn on to Exchange Mail Boxes
Hello, My site currently runs MS CRM 4.0, Active Directory and MS Exchange server for mail and calendar. We do have a rather strict password policies, where the users are to change their domain password every 60 days. In most cases, the users, 'forget' to also change the password in the CRM to access the Exchange their mail boxes, expecting single sign on as with most of the other miscrosoft software, which every 2 months causes lots of support issues (like workflows not completing, and mail router not being able to access their mail boxes). Is there a way to automate that the ...

Can somebody help me? convert vba code to function
Pls. Do you know how to convert vba code function, into a query function to use in a text field in a a report? Thenks in advance. br Nino Pls. Do you know how to convert vba code function, into a query function to use in a text field in a report? Thanks in advance. br Nino Nino wrote: > Pls. Do you know how to convert vba code function, into a query > function to use in a text field in a report? Generally speaking any public VBA function can be used in queries or TerxtBox ControlSources (even cusotm ones). -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... R...

Moving IMS from Exchange 5.5 to 2003
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C418E8.4A8D25A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to move the Internet Mail Service from our Exchange 5.5 = server to the 2003 server. I have replicated all the components from the = 5.5 to the 2003 server following the microsoft knowledge base, however = the IMS is still remaining on the 5.5 server. What should I do? ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C418E8.4A8D25A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encodi...

Convert from MS Works Db to MS Access Db
I have an old file that I created using MS Works Db. I need to open the file on my new PC that has MS Access 2000 but does not have MS Works. Is there are way to open the file? Hi, David. The database formats are not compatible. If you can find a computer that has Microsoft Works loaded, then you can convert the Works database into a format that can be imported into Access. See the following Web page: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=327147 HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips. (...

Detecting the source of an access violation?
I am having a problem with an access violation that goes away when the code is executed with a debug build. How can I locate the source of this error? Peter Olcott wrote: > I am having a problem with an access violation that goes > away when the code is executed with a debug build. How can I > locate the source of this error? Make sure debug database generation is turned on (under C++ and also under linker) for your release build. Then build and run under the debugger. When the AV occurs you can examine the stack to locate the line of code that caused the AV. -- Scott ...

somebody is infected #2
Randall Arnold's recent message is not unwarranted about infected e-mails being received by those who participate. For those that monitor these forums it is important that if you use an e-mail package for your news tool that you use an anti-virus program to ensure that your systems are clean and uninfected. Please scan your systems, the latest version of W32_SWEN impacts all of us and our ability to help each other. ...

Exchange Security question
Hello, We run 3 exchange servers within a single administrative group within an organisation with several other ordganastional groups and servers. Currently I can see and change settings on other peoples organisational groups and servers even though I am only an admin of my domain. I'm assuming they can do the same. If I look at the server permissions no our servers other accounts all over the AD seem to have access to quite a lot. So, bearing in mind we still need to send each other mail and I do want them to have access to our address lists for easy interoffice mailing, I was ...

No UDP "new mail" on Exchange 2003 with ISA client
Just upgraded from Win2000/Exch5.5 to Win2003/Exch2003. Using same hardware, switches, network bits and bobs etc. No changes to client whatsoever. On 5.5, UDP "you have new mail" alerts from server were sent to all clients fine. On 2003, anyone with an ENABLED ISA Firewall Client (when Outlook starts) does not get any UDP messaged. Disable firewall client and restart Outlook - and it all works fine. Outlook is Outlook XPsp1 with all hotfixes; and ClientOS is Windows XPsp1 with all hotfixes also. So why is this happening, and what can we do to prevent it? Thanks RJ See if th...

Access 2007 Ribbon Programming
Hi All, Sorry if my previous posting's sounded like a reason to vent my frustration, but to put things straight I like the Ribbon concept and as a person that likes to talk to other knowlegable people including Access MVP's with which I believe I have complimentary experience (29 years in software development of all types from Assembler to Cobol to Fortran to Pascal on various O/S's and Windows C, C++, SQL Windows, Borland Delphi & C++, all Oracle products before 2000, all Microsoft Office products since 1990 including Access since 1.00 both mdb's and adp's, a...

Exchange 2003 mixed mode; mode change key is greyed out.
Hello, we had an outside vendor help us switch over to exch2003 in January. I just went to an exchange 2003 class, found out that we are still in MIXED mode. Found out how we are supposed to be able to change this to native; except, our 5.5 server is dead and gone and that makes it so the change mode key is greyed out. Microsoft's kb article # 260781, says to do the following: Method 1: Manually delete the Site Replication Service from Exchange System Manager You may be able to resolve this issue if you delete the Site Replication Service (SRS). For additional information about how...

access error
Not sure what happened but it seemed that 3 accounts have been locked out, even the administrator account after I tried to delete an old employee. Since I could not delete her I decided to disable her. Once I did this it disabled all my accounts. This does not make sense because I was in her account. Is there a bug in the software? I get the following message " The System could not log you on. This could be because your user record or the business unit you belong to has been disabled in microsoft CRM. For more information, contact your system administrator." Any clues th...

Access 97 Out of system Resources
Hello. On Windows XP SP 2, Access 97 is *sometimes* throws "out of system resources". What can i do? Is there an error number also showing? How much 'stuff' is running down in the Windows Taskbar? Anything that can be turned off. Have you run a good spyware and virus detection software package lately? -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "SkyLine Technologies" wrote: > Hello. > > On Windows XP SP 2, Access 97 is *sometimes* throws "out of system > resources". ...

Message Tracking Access Denied #2
Ok, stuck on this one for a while now and I am not making any progress. Exchange Version 6.5 (Build 7638.2: Service Pack 2) System: MS W2k3 Standard w SP1 Hostname: Exchange Only one exchange server in the organization. Search on the subject has not been helpful ( reapply sp2 is all I can find, and already did but the problem persists). User is an Enterprise Admin and the Enterprise Admin group is a member of the Administrator group in the exchange box. When checking "Enable message tracking" --> "In order to successfully track messages, you will need to grant read access t...

Access\Visual Basic help
Hello, Can someone help me generate some VB code to do the following... I have a text box that displays a projects status, but the status is displayed as a number and the number means something like " Completed" or "In Development". Is there a way that i can have some VB code look and see that if there is an 8, then display "Completed" or if there is a 10 it displacy "In development"? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200707/1 Use an unbound text control. Are those the ONLY choices? ...

automate mailbox logon?
also posted this to a vbscript group with no luck... exchange 2003. scenario: a user is terminated and their account is immediately disabled. days later a request will come in to the messaging team to exmerge the users mailbox and send the pst to the manager. problem: you cant exmerge a mailbox unless you re-enable the account. once the account is re-enabled sometimes it takes more than an hour before you are able to exmerge. (exmerge gives errors saying the mailbox cant be opened) this is a replication issue. so what the engineer will do is keep trying every few minutes until it works.... ...

Somebody...
Has raised some interesting issues here. Sounds like the same old stuff raised for so many years. My roots, like so many others, come from the cpm/apple/other days. I got burnt by writing for Morrow C and getting dropped like a hot rock. Same for Apple. I will never, until otherwise see some light, write for anything other than what will run on the MS platform. Duh... We/they, can complain until our heads explode. In the end, MS owns the bit/byte world of desk/lap top. So like, who cares? We still have our bills to pay. If you want to break away, it is the embedded world. I'm hav...