Some users are not in the Global address list of one of the servers

Hi,

We have several exchange servers (5.5) running on Win NT 4.0 with identical configuration. However, each server is located in different cities. All mails coming to/from the servers pass thru a central main mail server. The problem is, two of the servers does not show some mailboxes / recepients that are present in the other servers. This has caused problems when a user from the main central server sends an e-mail to one of the servers wherein the user from the main central server gets the "Unknown Recipient" error. See below for an illustration of how the servers are configured:

                                                   |---> server 3
                      --- >  server1(X)     |
mainserver-->|                      |--> |---> server 4
                      --- >  server2(X)      |
                                                    |---> server 5

                                                    |---> server 6

As you can see, the problem is with server1 and server2. Some mailboxes in server 3,4,5 and 6 does not show in server 1 and 2 (in the servers' Global Address List) therefore when someone from the main server sends an e-mail to a user in server 4 or 5 (whose mailbox does not show in serevr1 and server2), the sender will receive this error message:

 user.name@sub.domain.com on 12/23/2003 3:46 PM
    The recepients name is not recognized
    The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a= ;p=company;l=server10312232145ZNV6LV9R
    MSEXCH:IMS:company:Site Name:server1 0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient

I might try "Consistency Adjuster" but not sure if this might hamper the operations since all servers are expected to be up 100%. Hope someone could help me.

Thanks,
Lapukman
0
lapukman (1)

are there any errors in your application logs concerning directory
replication?  sounds like dirrep is not working correctly...

"Lapukman" <lapukman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have several exchange servers (5.5) running on Win NT 4.0 with
identical configuration. However, each server is located in different
cities. All mails coming to/from the servers pass thru a central main mail
server. The problem is, two of the servers does not show some mailboxes /
recepients that are present in the other servers. This has caused problems
when a user from the main central server sends an e-mail to one of the
servers wherein the user from the main central server gets the "Unknown
Recipient" error. See below for an illustration of how the servers are
configured:

>                                                    |---> server 3
>                       --- >  server1(X)     |
> mainserver-->|                      |--> |---> server 4
>                       --- >  server2(X)      |
>                                                     |---> server 5
>                                                     |---> server 6
>
> As you can see, the problem is with server1 and server2. Some mailboxes in
server 3,4,5 and 6 does not show in server 1 and 2 (in the servers' Global
Address List) therefore when someone from the main server sends an e-mail to
a user in server 4 or 5 (whose mailbox does not show in serevr1 and
server2), the sender will receive this error message:

>  user.name@sub.domain.com on 12/23/2003 3:46 PM
>     The recepients name is not recognized
>     The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a=
;p=company;l=server10312232145ZNV6LV9R
>     MSEXCH:IMS:company:Site Name:server1 0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient
>

> I might try "Consistency Adjuster" but not sure if this might hamper the
operations since all servers are expected to be up 100%. Hope someone could
help me.

> Thanks,
> Lapukman

0
susan7353 (1225)
12/24/2003 4:49:32 PM
"Lapukman" <lapukman@yahoo.com> wrote:

>We have several exchange servers (5.5) running on Win NT 4.0 with identical configuration. However, each server is located in different cities. All mails coming to/from the servers pass thru a central main mail server. The problem is, two of the servers does not show some mailboxes / recepients that are present in the other servers.

Check the Applications Log for errors in Directory Replication. You
may need to turn up the Diaggnostics Logging to get the information
you need:

Knowledge Consistency Check	MAXIMUM
Replication					MAXIMUM
Internal Processing			Minimum

The error will probably appear as an event-id 1071.

If Server1 and Server2 have the problem, so does "mainserver"
(assuming "mainserver" is an Exchange server).

					[ snip ]

>As you can see, the problem is with server1 and server2.

Well, no. That's not obvious at all.

>Some mailboxes in server 3,4,5 and 6 does not show in server 1 and 2 (in the servers' Global Address List) therefore when someone from the main server sends an e-mail to a user in server 4 or 5 (whose mailbox does not show in serevr1 and server2), the sender will receive this error message:

Does your diagram represent the directory replication topology or the
messaging connector topology (or both)?

> user.name@sub.domain.com on 12/23/2003 3:46 PM
>    The recepients name is not recognized
>    The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a= ;p=company;l=server10312232145ZNV6LV9R
>    MSEXCH:IMS:company:Site Name:server1 0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient

Are you using the IMS as the messaging connector between the sites? Or
is "mainserver" just a SMTP server?

>I might try "Consistency Adjuster" but not sure if this might hamper the operations since all servers are expected to be up 100%. Hope someone could help me.

I don't think that'll help at all. If the problem's with a missing
object in a directory the consistency adjustment isn't going to
replace it.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

New to User Forms

How do I turn a one-page flyer template into a 1/2 page postcard?
I have a one-page flyer template which I would like to turn into 1/2 page-sized postcard template. Is there a way to reduce, rotate, and shrink to fit the original template so that I could print it as postcards? ...

Users Shared Folders

Users not showing up All Users

No Banks listed
I upgraded to 2006 today, and in the set up accounts, i am not getting bank lists to pick my bank. all i get is "this is not available at the time, check back later" how do i correct this. I get it all the time. any ideas guys?? ...

user breakpoint

Business address change how to?
Using Money 2009 for Small Business. I need to change my business address (recently moved it) so the correct address show up on my invoices. Can't figure out how to do it. Also ... I lost my invoice template when I moved the program over to my laptop. I now have to save invoices to my desktop, and print them from there, in plain text, little formatting. When I try printing directly from the invoice screen, I just get blank invoices. Any help offered greatly appreciated. Thanks! James James | 2009-07-22 | 6:22:09 PM wrote: >Using Money 2009 for Small Business. I need to chan...

Front end server OWA redirection
Hi, I have configured a front end server to use RPC-HTTP successfully. Ive got the SSL certificate and it all works great. Problem is, Im trying to configure an Outlook web login page, but cant get it to redirect to the backend server. Firstly I wasnt even getting an OWA page until I followed the instructions in the this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555053 Now I get a login page but as soon as I type in a domain\username and password, I get a 404 page could not be found error. This should be redirecting to my backend server (Where OWA is working fine...

color list view
hi can i use thread to change the color of the list view with the OnNMCustomdraw and how can i do it ùthanks All this should be done on the same thread where the control was created. Why would you want a separate thread anyway? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "mido1971" <jan_mido_2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:439D8B44-5A8B-4FC8-99E4-D7A62E510E3B@microsoft.com... > hi > can i use thread to change the color of the list view with the > OnNMCustomdraw and how can i do it �thanks i need an another thread because i have in the list view lo...

Need User Name and Password

Random Users Calendars not viewable

GP 9 Upgrade and SQL Server 2000 sp4

Manager grayed out on user setup

Creating a Distribution List in OUTLOOK 2007
Hello, Is there a way to create a DISTRIBUTION LIST in OUTLOOK 2007 that contains contacts with a specific feature WITHOUT adding members one by one? E.g., I need a distribution list of all contacts whose e-mail address is in a particular domain. The following sequence DOES NOT work: CONTACTS ---> ACTIONS ---> NEW DISTRIBUTION LIST ---> SELECT MEMBERS ----> SEARCH (MORE COLUMNS) When I entered the domain name in the search window, I got no results. Thus, OUTLOOK did not search the entries of the e-mail addresses. Thank you for your help. ATK "...

Cannot see full email address in From field
If a message is forwarded, I cannot see the email address from the original sender(s) or those CC'd. They show a displayed name. Is this a setting on my client or is it done on the sender's client? BTW, this happens on Outlook 2000 and 2003. Thanks, Francis ...

Controlled Mailbox access via EXchange server
Quick one here, apart from using the Outlook client method, is it possible on EXCHANGE SERVER 2003 to give users (not domain/ exchange administrators) read, edit & write permissions to, for example someone's else's calender without giving the usual full mailbox access rights? Abiola Sonubi wrote: > Quick one here, apart from using the Outlook client method, is it > possible on EXCHANGE SERVER 2003 to give users (not domain/ exchange > administrators) read, edit & write permissions to, for example > someone's else's calender without giving the usual full ...

Lotus user to Outlook user Attachments missing
Hi everyone, I have a strange problem that hopefully someone can help with or maybe point me in the right direction. Infrastructure info: All our clients are running Office 2007 SP2 and we have Exchange 2007 SP1 as our backend. We have a client that has Lotus Notes and sends us many emails per day and almost always they have attachments but usually PDF's, JPG's and DOC's. We have just discovered that they occasionally send us scanned docs in MDI format. The problem is that it appears as though when the client running Lotus attached an MDI file and sends the ema...

users sending messages to themselves
Hello all, I'm running a Exchange 2000 server w SP3 on W2K box w SP4. I have some users who have this old habit of sending a copy of out going message to themselves when they compose a new message by cc or bcc or even To field. I ask them not to do but they are still doing it. Is there a way (may be a script or rule or anything in Exchange or third party software) to stop this. I was told by someone that there is nothing of that nature but I'm still not convinced. There's gotta be a way. Thanks Raj Bambrah Why not let them do whatever they damn well please? Raj Bambrah wro...

IMF and remote users.
I need a bit of hand holding on this. We are about to start hosting our own email. There are branch offices that will pick up their email with POP3 from our server running SBS 2003. I want to filter for spam, but also want all the users to have the ability to review emails caught by the filter. If I use the IMF filter, am I correct in assuming that the remote office users will never see those emails in that they will have been moved out of their inbox to the spam folder? Is there a built-in method of tagging, not moving emails identified as spam on a RBL? Thank you. - Are you going to use ...

Personal Distribution Lists
Hi all I've been given a task of updating a load of custom recipient addresses on an Exchange 5.5 server which includes moving them from one Recipient Container to another. Now the problem with this is that I don't think there is a way of doing this without deleting them from the original RC and recreating them in the new RC (don't worry I've at least been using export/import for this). If anyone knows of a better/easier way of doing this I would be interested. The actual moving of the Custom Recipients isn't too bad, but I am now running into problems with people that h...